Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Lethemonster posted:

I do post because otherwise it turns into me going 'uuuhhhhh' as I smack a million buttons and then yelling 'Ricki sneaky!' every so often. I am the least mature player live.

I had to fix several early sessions where I kept calling Dunban Dundun before we met Riki.

Do you have a link? How far are you in the LP?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Original LP is here (requires archives): http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3470360

Lethemonster, do you plan to start over for a new audience, or pick up where you left off?

Moon Man
Mar 31, 2006

The Moon, for Christ's Sake
I love how I beat the whole game without knowing that each character has a 4th and 5th skill tree that you can unlock. God drat! even when I think I'm done, I hear about even more stuff I missed out on. This is easily one of the most "Complete" games I've ever played. No need for expansions or DLC

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
The only expansion I want is a rerelease on the PS3 or 360 (or, if the gods are feeling particularly generous, the PC) with high-res textures and high-poly models in glorious 1080p. I know, complaining that this game isn't on a more powerful system is old hat, but still.

In other words, just got back to Frontier Village with about ten hours shaved off of my save file with just as much accomplished (40 hours versus 50). Almost caught up!

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Ah, thanks for the advice. Yeah, I do use skill links, but I never really thought much of them until now.

I picked up Melia, let me see if I got this right, I summon elementals to buff my party, and discharge occasionally? Apparently she can draw aggro really fast, cause the game told me not to use Elemental Discharge too much. I'm honestly not too sure on how to use her.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Dr. Fetus posted:

I picked up Melia, let me see if I got this right, I summon elementals to buff my party, and discharge occasionally? Apparently she can draw aggro really fast, cause the game told me not to use Elemental Discharge too much. I'm honestly not too sure on how to use her.

You've got it right. The reason Melia can draw aggro really fast is because she's capable of pushing out a sickening amount of damage in very small amounts of time. Additionally, unlike Shulk and Sharla, she doesn't get a move to help control this aggro. Using her comes down to one of three ways:

1) drat the aggro and shoot like crazy. Usually involving Summon Bolt, you can be forgiven for doing this with an AOE because dammit it's fun. Summon element, summon copy, wait for refresh or summon another element, shoot shoot shoot. In ten seconds either your target is dead or you've got an unbearable amount of aggro on your frail mage.

2) Be boring and just sit back and buff, with the occasional spell. This is the safest way to play Melia, as well as the AI's preference. Boost up the offense and defense of your allies, regenerate their HP. Toss in some debilitating moves or a Healing Gift here and there, and otherwise sit back and watch the pretty pictures. This is probably the least effective way to play Melia but it's the easiest, and there's a certain appeal in winning by doing nothing in an action based game.

3) Forget all that "playing the game" malarkey and abuse the concept of math. Chain attack, link three of the same color move (Elemental Discharge is white so it's always a wild card), get it back to Melia, and let loose a Summon Flare or anything else that does damage over time. The chain attack mechanics will multiply this into a sickeningly large amount of damage. Combine with Riki for extra cheese. Probably the most powerful application of Melia, but if this doesn't appeal to you at least try it out from time to time and learn exactly how to abuse Elemental Discharge and chain attacks (x5 damage and heal from a discharged Water? Thanks for the free full heal!).

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Coughing Hobo posted:

The only expansion I want is a rerelease on the PS3 or 360 (or, if the gods are feeling particularly generous, the PC) with high-res textures and high-poly models in glorious 1080p. I know, complaining that this game isn't on a more powerful system is old hat, but still.

In other words, just got back to Frontier Village with about ten hours shaved off of my save file with just as much accomplished (40 hours versus 50). Almost caught up!

Imagine if Nintendo made a new console that was 1080p and the team behind this made a successor on it. Because we will probably see video at E3 this year of it, and it will be good. Maybe they will talk about multiplayer, too, since co-op is always nice as an option.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

So for this apparent sequel, has there been anything more than that one trailer, showing the dude with the sword fighting dinosaurs, getting in robots, and what looks like Shulk's face?

Considering how nicely the story was wrapped up by the end, it's hard to imagine what kind of material is left for a sequel.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Mazed posted:

So for this apparent sequel, has there been anything more than that one trailer, showing the dude with the sword fighting dinosaurs, getting in robots, and what looks like Shulk's face?

Considering how nicely the story was wrapped up by the end, it's hard to imagine what kind of material is left for a sequel.
The way the story wraps up actually leaves me extremely hopeful for the sequel, because it could go basically anywhere.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Dr. Fetus posted:

Ah, thanks for the advice. Yeah, I do use skill links, but I never really thought much of them until now.

You can get a character like Dunban to have a lot of aggro up and agility up gems on them at once, which really helps out when using Melia. But I can totally understand not really knowing what to do with her, I was really confused at first until I realized how many digits her damage pop ups had. She also gets pretty good for toppling, from what I remember. She almost never left my party after that, and in my opinion is probably the strongest character in the game. Just play as her yourself and never stop attacking.

Mazed posted:

I believe several of the characters in the previous game expressed a desire to explore the world, but I don't think the new X game that Monolith Soft is working on will be an actual sequel to Xenoblade, just a spiritual one.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Chronojam posted:

Imagine if Nintendo made a new console that was 1080p and the team behind this made a successor on it. Because we will probably see video at E3 this year of it, and it will be good. Maybe they will talk about multiplayer, too, since co-op is always nice as an option.

I know but it's not Xenoblade and and :qq:

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Trasson posted:

You've got it right. The reason Melia can draw aggro really fast is because she's capable of pushing out a sickening amount of damage in very small amounts of time. Additionally, unlike Shulk and Sharla, she doesn't get a move to help control this aggro. Using her comes down to one of three ways:

1) drat the aggro and shoot like crazy. Usually involving Summon Bolt, you can be forgiven for doing this with an AOE because dammit it's fun. Summon element, summon copy, wait for refresh or summon another element, shoot shoot shoot. In ten seconds either your target is dead or you've got an unbearable amount of aggro on your frail mage.

I use this method and enjoy it a lot. It's quite effective. Be sure to stick her full of HP+ gems, though. It helps.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Coughing Hobo posted:

While some of the technical limitations are due to the choice of Wii in particular, it's worth noting that a lot of the graphical magic that Xenoblade pulls off with smooth frame rates and loving enormous draw distance of complex and interesting environments, is because of the low-res low-poly graphics.

If you wanted the exact same experience in high-res, high-poly, you'd basically be limited to souped-up PCs. PS3 and 360 aren't that much more powerful than a Wii that they could pull that off without either severely limiting visual scope or severely dropping frame rate.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Vil posted:

While some of the technical limitations are due to the choice of Wii in particular, it's worth noting that a lot of the graphical magic that Xenoblade pulls off with smooth frame rates and loving enormous draw distance of complex and interesting environments, is because of the low-res low-poly graphics.

If you wanted the exact same experience in high-res, high-poly, you'd basically be limited to souped-up PCs. PS3 and 360 aren't that much more powerful than a Wii that they could pull that off without either severely limiting visual scope or severely dropping frame rate.

But they can do higher resolutions and cleaner textures, which is all anybody really wants since ploy-count boosts don't bump visuals fidelity as much as texture boosts.

Also, I remember some people cleaning up the textures in the game with the Dolphin's texture swapping pulgin thing, anybody know how that's progressing?

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

Vil posted:

Original LP is here (requires archives): http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3470360

Lethemonster, do you plan to start over for a new audience, or pick up where you left off?

Starting over. Not happy with what I did before. At the moment I'm going through what I actually want to show in the LP and working out what has to be in video, what is screenshot, and what I can jabber on about when required. I just lost my oomph before because I wasn't putting out something I was happy with, and loosing oomph meant I was putting out even more videos and quality that I didn't like.

The extra time means there's alot more coverage of the game out there as well so I can more easily pick the quest lines and particular people to show off by reading about it, rather than having to play through hundreds of hours just to choose the content.

I have HUNDREDS of Dug avatars made and a special guest avatar too.

Might even scare cam my dog.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Lethemonster posted:

Starting over. Not happy with what I did before. At the moment I'm going through what I actually want to show in the LP and working out what has to be in video, what is screenshot, and what I can jabber on about when required. I just lost my oomph before because I wasn't putting out something I was happy with, and loosing oomph meant I was putting out even more videos and quality that I didn't like.

The extra time means there's alot more coverage of the game out there as well so I can more easily pick the quest lines and particular people to show off by reading about it, rather than having to play through hundreds of hours just to choose the content.

This is probably a good idea, actually, even if you were pleased with your first go at it. By now, way more people have played Xenoblade, so it's likely that this will invite a lot more discussion and thread input from those familiar.

Plus, if you've got all the mechanics and sub-systems down, it'll be great for people like me who played through barely knowing what I was doing with gem crafting, playing certain characters effectively, etc. :v:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

So long as you show off the best quest chain in Frontier Village, Nopon drug cartel, I will be content.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
I am doodling up a Heisenberg nopon as we speak.

Heisenpon.

Breaking Nopon.

Lethemonster fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Apr 9, 2013

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

Vil posted:

So long as you show off the best quest chain in Frontier Village, Nopon drug cartel, I will be content.
I have not heard of this quest chain. Tell me more.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Lethemonster posted:

I am so ridiculously excited for this. You have no idea. :allears:

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Strange Matter posted:

Well okay, drug cartel might be too extreme. Perhaps smuggling ring would be more accurate. Regardless, these are the relevant quests, along with their less-relevant prerequisites. I'm also listing off plot and town affinity requirements (you'll probably need to do other quests to hit the affinity requirements, though on the whole they surprise me for how low they are).

Satorl Marsh:

Strictly speaking, this batch of quests is not part of the quest chain and can be skipped, but if you progress too far in the main chain then Zazadan disappears and you miss out on these. It also makes more sense if you do these first. (The first three or four are, if I recall, completely irrelevant to the plot of the quest chain though.)

Preventing Starvation (Zazadan)
Zazadan in Danger (Zazadan)
Zazadan Still in Danger (Zazadan)
It's All in the Mind (Zazadan)
A Mysterious Delicacy (Zazadan)
A Gift? (Zazadan)

Frontier Village, when you first get there:

Pollen Orb Ingredients (Dobadoba, 1.5 stars)
Next two are available concurrently, but have to do both to proceed:
- Secret Ingredient Hunt (Bana, 1.5 stars, may need link with Gadada)
- Secret Innovation (Rasha, 1.5 stars, may need link with Cherri)
The Master's Successor (Dobadoba, 2.0 stars, doesn't matter which you pick)

Frontier Village, once you reach Eryth Sea or maybe Alcamoth:

Dangerous Ambition (Cherri, 2.5 stars)
Find the Kingpin (Gadada, 2.5 stars)
Adviser Hunt (Gadada, 2.5 stars)
- Gather Information (subquest of above, triggers in Satorl)
Evidence Collection (Gadada, 2.5 stars)
Destroying the City Trade (Gadada, 2.5 stars)
- Getting a Member's Card (subquest of above, triggers in Alcamoth)

Frontier Village, once endgame quests open up:

Bana the Betrayer (Gadada, 2.5 stars)
Depending on your choice in The Master's Successor you will get one of these:
- Safer Energy (Gadada, 2.5 stars, selected Gadada earlier)
- Distilling Active Ingredients (Cherri, 2.5 stars, selected Cherri earlier)
Presents for Priceless Pupils (Dobadoba, 4.5 stars)

The last few quests after the one with the spoiler tag in the name are part of the chain, but are more of a wrap-up thing. The spoiler tagged quest is the main climax.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Strange Matter posted:

:lsd: pollen orbs :lsd:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Literally a hidden lab in the woods.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

pksage posted:

This line is probably my favorite piece of dialogue in the game; it's delivered in such an outgoing and confident Dunban voice.

It's so true--he says it as if he's boisterously and confidently delivering a line like "No enemy can best us."

Yeah, that and "No, let's just pretend it didn't happen" are my favorites.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
Little disappointed in the title change. No concrete evidence of a sequel yet, just something that looks similar. Which is fine if it was a new thread instead.

After dumping 100+ hours into this game and still yet to complete it. ill go ahead and buy a WiiU just for something from this team again.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Something from the same company that looks similar, which is somewhat more telling. Still, it's true that there's been no confirmed information regarding whether or not it's a true sequel, but it's at least safe to assume it will be a strong spiritual successor at least.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
Given the ending, I'm not really interested in a direct sequel anyway. Spiritual successor is the way to go.

ending spoilers: Seriously, the setting was one of the coolest things about Xenoblade. It's a shame to see it go and be replaced by another Tolkienesque earth. I hope that whatever the team makes next takes place in a world at least as interesting as Bionis and Mechonis.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

Tolkienesque earths rarely feature mechs.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Chronojam posted:

Tolkienesque earths rarely feature mechs.

Sounds like someone's never read the newest edition of the Silmarillion :smuggo:

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
I bought this on release and only recently really started getting into it - level 55/45 hours coming out of blowing Galahad Fortress THE gently caress UP.

I'm never a NG+ guy, and even less a sidequest guy, and even less than that a collectables guy...but, this loving game, man. I'm still not going to go through it again (though I am practically salivating at the thought of Lethemonster's LP), but the draw is there like nothing I've felt in a game, maybe ever.

Thanks for keeping everything in spoilers, though. That has saved me more than I can count. I wish I could quit my basic Reyn/Shulk/Sharla loadout, but we are a machine. We are a machine.

BRING ON THE SEQUEL.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Deathlove posted:

Thanks for keeping everything in spoilers, though. That has saved me more than I can count. I wish I could quit my basic Reyn/Shulk/Sharla loadout, but we are a machine. We are a machine.

You really can. Take the plunge. The biggest hit for a new team will be lack of affinity with each other, and jumping in and fighting enemies together is the best way to fix that.

Not to mention that without Sharla, you'll kill things way faster. And as a rule, you won't die nearly as fast as you may be fearing.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I met Riki and tried him out. He seems to be a tank, while his attacks deal damage over time, and that seems to be his main thing. At least, that's what the tutorial suggests. Anything I should know about using him? Doesn't seem to be that complicated to use compared to Melia.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

He's a jack of all trades. He's a tank in the sense that he can take hits well (giant health pool), but unless you specifically gem him and the others so the aggro goes to Riki, he probably won't actually be taking all that many hits. He's also a good supporting character (second best healer after Sharla, and considering that Sharla's healing is often way overkill and Riki's damage is much better...), and his AoE DoTs mean that he's good at gradually killing a crowd of enemies simultaneously but is less effective at single-target focusing down a single enemy.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Dr. Fetus posted:

I met Riki and tried him out. He seems to be a tank, while his attacks deal damage over time, and that seems to be his main thing. At least, that's what the tutorial suggests. Anything I should know about using him? Doesn't seem to be that complicated to use compared to Melia.

Asde from being DPS King, Riki also has an AOE heal, a theft/self buff talent art, and the ability to boost the party guage. He also has an insta topple move, though sometimes it will only bind instead.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

Vil posted:

his AoE DoTs mean that he's good at gradually killing a crowd of enemies simultaneously but is less effective at single-target focusing down a single enemy.
Generally, yes. As other people point out in the thread, though, the DoTs get multiplied in chain attacks in addition to the initial damage. If you can get Riki to drop one of his purple skills on the fifth round of a chain attack, you can do a serious chunk of damage to a boss.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Deathlove posted:

Do yourself a favor and retire Shulk from your party for a while (which is about 20 hours in Xenoblade time) whenever you're not constantly killing Mechon. Even then, you could just nuke them with Melia, plus you get pretty good Shulk-obsoleting weapons around where you are anyways.

Believe me, it's very liberating.

Dr. Glasscock
Apr 15, 2004

HOO-DAH!!! Fatal Wiimote blow to the face, 20 points!
Started playing this again after a bit of a hiatus. I buckled down and optimized every character I had, items, gems, skill links, etc. Before I was sort of just drifting thru the game without slowing down to look at some of the numbers, I have a much better handle on everything now. I just got to the village next to the forest, am I about a third thru the game?

I find myself getting totally lost just roaming around areas, which is fine, because I usually stumble on plenty of dudes to grind on and some even are for quests. I'm kind of just roaming around aimlessly like a dog outside but killing everything I see. I wish fights were a bit shorter as grinding seems pretty slow.

Is it worth grinding in old areas or will the exp gain be too little? Also what is up with these ridiculous level 90+ guys sitting around? Designed for end game of New Game + stuff?

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

Dr. Glasscock posted:

I find myself getting totally lost just roaming around areas, which is fine, because I usually stumble on plenty of dudes to grind on and some even are for quests. I'm kind of just roaming around aimlessly like a dog outside but killing everything I see. I wish fights were a bit shorter as grinding seems pretty slow.

Is it worth grinding in old areas or will the exp gain be too little? Also what is up with these ridiculous level 90+ guys sitting around? Designed for end game of New Game + stuff?

Getting lost in new areas is one of the most fun parts of Xenoblade. However, that leads into your question about grinding: The best XP comes from quests. Now, you can just go hog wild in every new area you come to, because chances are you'll pick up the drops you need for quests as you go, but if you stop into the nearest town and round up as many quests as you can first, this'll give you some objectives to seek out as you wander around. While you're out collecting items (and beating up monsters to get them), you'll amass plentiful additional XP -- combined with quest rewards, you'll be well ahead of the leveling curve for whatever story content you're also going after, to the point where it honestly will trivialize any possible challenge.

There is a definite point at which it will catch up to you no matter how many quests you have done, though (location spoiler, around the Sword Bridge). For me personally, it was like hitting a brick wall, but then the game became a different kind of fun as it actually made me work out my strategies and push every character harder.

As for those ludicrously high-level mobs you see here and there, they are indeed for endgame stuff. I never quite got to them because there came a point at which I just wanted to bring the story to a close, but if you love it when a game gives you optional goals far and beyond anything you'll be faced with in the main storyline, you're in for party time here.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
I'm cross-posting from the Dolphin thread because this thread is livelier. I want to play Xenoblade in HD but I can't seem to get Dolphin working. I've tried the most recent version, a HLE hack of 3.0.x version and the most recent new-ax-hle version. The HLE one was the only one where audio worked, which is great, but all of them drop frames. I have an i5 quad core 3.2GHz with 6GB RAM and an ATI Radeon 5570. I'm able to run PS2 games smoothly. Is my PC not good enough for this game to work for me?

edit: Finally managed to get it working. This thing does not hold your hand at all.

Friendly Factory fucked around with this message at 06:46 on Apr 16, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Friendly Factory posted:

I'm cross-posting from the Dolphin thread because this thread is livelier. I want to play Xenoblade in HD but I can't seem to get Dolphin working. I've tried the most recent version, a HLE hack of 3.0.x version and the most recent new-ax-hle version. The HLE one was the only one where audio worked, which is great, but all of them drop frames. I have an i5 quad core 3.2GHz with 6GB RAM and an ATI Radeon 5570. I'm able to run PS2 games smoothly. Is my PC not good enough for this game to work for me?

edit: Finally managed to get it working. This thing does not hold your hand at all.

If I'm remembering right (I've been playing this game on Wii and haven't touched Dolphin in ages), version 3.0 and on for Dolphin had some radical changes that made emulation more accurate at the cost that a lot of games don't run well unless you've got high-high end rigs. So basically all games work, but not as well as they did before.

I believe there's actually a version of Dolphin somewhere that somebody has specifically altered to run Xenoblade, version r6856m, which when I installed it doubled my framerate and stopped audio clicking entirely. So either look that up or ask around for whichever revision of Dolphin works best with Xenoblade. I played around with at least a dozen different versions before I found the one that worked best for me, so I suggest poking around and testing a lot to see what works best for you.

Remember, a couple of hours spent getting a good emulator setup is nothing compared to the dozens of hours you'll be playing of this game, so it's a very good idea to make sure you get it right early. (I didn't, so I spent my first 15 hours with audio that would stop and start clicking at random and battles that would slowdown to 10FPS or less :suicide:)

• Locked thread