Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schach
Jul 21, 2007
I'm not a monster it'sonlyamask.

Critical posted:

Well:

Bowling on balls hard sport shots and can't score. Which translates to trying to be too perfect on a house shot where I can't score. My driller sucks and all my balls feel different so I have to alter my release a tiny bit when I do a ball change so it's really hard to be consistent. Bowled on WTBA Sydney last week which is a whopping 33' long and bone dry in the middle of the lane so my plastic spare ball was hooking about 7 boards and started with a 119. Had to alter my delivery to make spares which hosed up my spare shooting on all other patterns. Bowled like flaming dogshit in the city tournament and barely made my money back on piss easy conditions.

Kinda want to throw my equipment in a closet and take a break but I already made a commitment to a sport summer league after the main league is over.

Fortunately I'm coming into extra money soon so I'm making a drive to one of the top pro shops in the country and getting all new equipment and having my grip changed.

Basically I have no desire to bowl or compete until then because my equipment issues force me to be perfect with like 5 different releases and it sucks.

That sucks man. Good to know there's a whole world of pain waiting for me when I get comfortable with the basics of making the ball do what I want :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
221-191-167. Yet another poo poo game thrown in with two good ones. I also blew my shot at the $400 strike pot. Hit the three frames in the first game no problem, made a dumb late-release on the 4th spot in the 2nd and blew it. I went on to hit 6 out of the 9.

But more importantly, we beat the vacant team! Oddly enough, those invisible bastards have been giving everyone trouble all season.

Toaster Beef
Jan 23, 2007

that's not nature's way

Whale Cancer posted:

Give all of those a try. One of the good things about 2 handing is the drilling doesn't seem as important. I can use someones ball that has much bigger finger holes and still throw it. It's not so much a backswing, it's more like cocking a gun or a slingshot to fire.

You do want to torque your upper body and square your shoulders when you release. I think this is where most of the power comes from. A couple people who have watched me throw think it's too much effort. I do feel like I've got in a little bit of a workout after a couple games now compared to 1 handing.

I'm still pretty new to this and still experimenting so it's a bit hard to put into words what I'm doing or even if what I'm doing is effective. There is only one other 2 hander where I bowl and our styles are different.

Watch this, the backswing here is exactly what I'm talking about. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDvK6brkXGA

There are exceptions, of course, and it's perfectly possible to generate speed by torquing your back, but generally speaking, speed — even with the two-handed approach — should come from your feet.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:

Scarf posted:

But more importantly, we beat the vacant team! Oddly enough, those invisible bastards have been giving everyone trouble all season.

Those sons of bitches beat us like every drat time

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Devo posted:

Those sons of bitches beat us like every drat time

First half of the season we handled them pretty well. This half we've already dropped like 8 points to them. Took 4 back last night, thankfully.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
The elusive 800 is still elusive. I definitely should have had it this time, but I guess I can't complain too much.

I started Friday night off with the first 21 strikes. 300-277-202. :bang: :argh: :suicide:

Opened my first frame third game, then I had a turkey. Then I refused to move and went spare, big four split, spare, spare. Now that my 800 was gone I switched balls and struck out for my 202. :suicide:

Hyrax
Jul 23, 2004

I'm the Goon in the OP. Dispatch your messenger forthwith.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I started Friday night off with the first 21 strikes.

I overheard someone after my league last night mention that someone recently had 21 in a row, and that's just too drat coincidental. Was this in the Kansas City area perchance? If not, that is a crazy coincidence.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Holy gently caress.

After all the bitching and frustration I went into tonight with literally no expectations to win even a point. Last week on WTBA Los Angeles which has some insane oil ratio of like 1.6 (For reference, the totally flat US Open oil pattern is 1.0 and a House Shot is around a 7.)

204-228-244-232 for a 908. And a 704 back 3. Only the 4th person in the league to break 900 this year. Even got respect from the normally stuck up guys as well. On the bad side I managed to only take 6 out of 10 points but gently caress it.

It feels loving amazing and I wish I could bottle it going into next week.

Locutus of Bald
Aug 20, 2009

by Debbie Metallica
My dad's birthday is coming up and I've decided to get him a new bowling ball. Specifically, a 14 pound ball, because he's mentioned a few times that he wants to get a 14 pound Storm Anarchy, the 15 pound version of which is the ball he uses most often right now (He also has a Storm Frantic, but it has a greater hook potential than he desires/can use).

The problem is, Storm doesn't make the Anarchy anymore and even if they did, I'd like to get him something newer. I'm going out of town in a few weeks and will be able to go to a good pro shop (Despite being Alaska's capital city, we do not have a pro shop and our local alley's ball selection consists entirely of the latest Storm catalog, hence my dad having an Anarchy and a Frantic).

Does anyone have a good ball recommendation for an experienced league bowler with a medium hook?

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Locutus of Bald posted:

My dad's birthday is coming up and I've decided to get him a new bowling ball. Specifically, a 14 pound ball, because he's mentioned a few times that he wants to get a 14 pound Storm Anarchy, the 15 pound version of which is the ball he uses most often right now (He also has a Storm Frantic, but it has a greater hook potential than he desires/can use).

The problem is, Storm doesn't make the Anarchy anymore and even if they did, I'd like to get him something newer. I'm going out of town in a few weeks and will be able to go to a good pro shop (Despite being Alaska's capital city, we do not have a pro shop and our local alley's ball selection consists entirely of the latest Storm catalog, hence my dad having an Anarchy and a Frantic).

Does anyone have a good ball recommendation for an experienced league bowler with a medium hook?

Our dads sound like they bowl very similar and I just got my dad a new ball for his bday last year. Picked him up a Brunswick C System Versa Max.

http://www.bowling.com/products/brunswick-c--system--versa-max.htm?gclid=CLqA8f62rrYCFeeDQgod9icATQ

He loves it and is averaging 220 this year and has bowled 2 299 games with it.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Locutus of Bald posted:

The Anarchy was a Pearlized, Asymmetric, 1500-grit Polished ball, with a high flare potential. So finding something with those similar characteristics should give him something similar.

If he wants to stick with Storm, it looks like the Virtual Gravity Nano Pearl is in the same vein: http://www.bowlingball.com/products/bowling-balls/Storm/9982/Virtual-Gravity-NANO-Pearl.html

Thing is, both the Anarchy and the VG Nano Pearl have high hook potential too, but being pearlized and polished, it's all on the back-end. They're skid/flip balls by nature.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Apr 3, 2013

Genderman
Jan 17, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm sort of an intermediate bowler and I'm going to a tournament at this sports bar tonight. I want to help bring my team victory, what are some quick tips that can help me impress all the babes? I've never put spin on the ball, how difficult would it be to nail that sort of thing in a night?

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Ladies and Gentlemen, I bowled my first 600 series yesterday :smugdog: 232-226-208.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Genderman posted:

I'm sort of an intermediate bowler and I'm going to a tournament at this sports bar tonight. I want to help bring my team victory, what are some quick tips that can help me impress all the babes? I've never put spin on the ball, how difficult would it be to nail that sort of thing in a night?

If you've never tried hooking you're more than likely going to look like a goon tossing the ball in the gutter a lot and throwing it all over the lane.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Genderman posted:

Even if you can get the hang of making it get some amount of rotation, the odds are it will be so inconsistent that you will be worse off. This is the type of thing that you learn in practice instead of trying to learn it on the fly during a tournament.

Genderman
Jan 17, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

kirtar posted:

Even if you can get the hang of making it get some amount of rotation, the odds are it will be so inconsistent that you will be worse off. This is the type of thing that you learn in practice instead of trying to learn it on the fly during a tournament.

Ok no hooking. Its a very casual tournament where I imagine most people wont go over 120. What are some tips that will help me along with the standard shoulders squared and dont drop them. Whats the best amount of strides? Havnt bowled in like 6 years

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Genderman posted:

Ok no hooking. Its a very casual tournament where I imagine most people wont go over 120. What are some tips that will help me along with the standard shoulders squared and dont drop them. Whats the best amount of strides? Havnt bowled in like 6 years

Some people prefer 4, some people prefer 5, some people only use 3, it's all about what timing is best for you.

If you are left with 7 pins move to the right of the lane and shoot across the lane left. If you are left with a 10 pin move left and shoot across the lane right.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Assuming you're right handed here, stand with your right foot lined up just to the right of the third arrow from the right. When throwing the ball look at that third arrow and bring your hand through your target. Try not to drop your wrist off to the right. That's where I basically try to start new bowlers that don't hook the ball when I'm working with them. It will at the very least get you near the headpin.

We took 10/27 last night when we only needed 6, so we win :toot:
And then we drank a lot the third game when we already had it clinched :toot:

Schach
Jul 21, 2007

Whale Cancer posted:

Ladies and Gentlemen, I bowled my first 600 series yesterday :smugdog: 232-226-208.

Sicknasty. I uh bowled a game over 200 for the first time at practice a couple days ago. Had the guy at the desk print that poo poo out for me because I am a giant nerd.

PendingForaBending
Dec 30, 2005

How Bout Them Cowboys.

Whale Cancer posted:

Thats a hell of a 600 to break in with, very nice.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Of course the night where I can't do brackets due to personal circumstances Parker shows up to practice with a couple of my friends. Of course he does.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Finished up the season going 177-184-230. Not too bad. 6 weeks until summer doubles league starts up.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Lanes treated me well tonight. Another 600 series! 208-219-198. I love this virtual gravity. Since switching to 2 handed I'm having a real problem picking up the 9 and 10 pins. If I could pick these up consist my score would probably go up another 20-30 pins.

Schach
Jul 21, 2007
I'm not really doing half as well as you but I just pick up most anything right of the head pin one handed. Two handed has me throwing harder one handed and somehow more accurately to boot.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Schach posted:

I'm not really doing half as well as you but I just pick up most anything right of the head pin one handed. Two handed has me throwing harder one handed and somehow more accurately to boot.

Starting last week I'm trying to teach myself to pick up the right side pins throwing the same way I throw my strike ball. I'm pretty good at picking them up with a conventional throw but I'd like to be able to do it this way. I'm just bowling a fun league now so it doesn't really matter if I bowl a 900 series or a 300 series.

Schach
Jul 21, 2007
Belmonte is like the only dude who shoots everything two handed right? At like 3:30 in this video he leaves the ten and shoots it two handed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnVtX5gdy0Y&t=210s

It looks like a backup ball though? Or he's just throwing it that way? I maybe don't know what I'm talking about?

I tried throwing my buddy's spare ball some last week and I didn't have a lot of luck throwing it straight two handed.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

He throws it straight. I think one of my problems is I don't have a plastic ball. I'm trying to throw my Slingshot straight and it still wants to hook when it hits the dry end of the lane.

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse
My new company has a bowling league running during the summers, so I decided to sign up. I used to bowl in youth leagues when I was a kid, but I haven't really bowled regularly for the last fifteen or twenty years; I've been to the bowling alley maybe half a dozen times in the past twelve years, so I'm way out of practice. Haven't had my own ball since I was a kid, so I got myself a couple new balls (a Storm Frantic and a Storm Ice for a spare ball) and had them drilled at the local pro shop. Played a few games to try 'em out and rolled a 100-150-178. I'm still way out of shape and terrible at everything, and I've never thrown anything but plastic balls before, so the 178 was encouraging. Had too many "lucky" strikes in that game for my liking, but I also had a few nice solid ones the few times I actually hit my mark, released properly, and actually got some proper motion on the back end all at the same time, so now all I have to do is learn to do that every frame. Also just flat-out missed a few easy spares in that game because I missed my mark, so my aim needs work. It was fun, though, and it'll be cool to be bowling in a league again. (Hopefully it's a handicap league... :v: ).

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Those are really solid numbers for getting back into the game after so long, especially the 178 so great job.

PendingForaBending
Dec 30, 2005

How Bout Them Cowboys.
Some of the guys on tour, like Osku, shoot at right side spares one handed. The advantage that you have with two hands being all the extra rotation you can get on the ball isn't needed for those single pin spares so it might be good to develop a one-handed straight shot at them. Also, if the lanes get really dry you can get a plastic ball to move a little too much too handed and that could cause some problems way out to the right.

We had our roll off this week. Shot 214-269-257 for 740 total, my high of the season. We only won totals by 30 pins after splitting the first two games we went into the last game up by 10. Everyone on the pair was bowling great that night, so it set up for a pretty good showdown.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

I can do it one handed I'd just like to be able to do it two handed. Belmonte does it two handed, I just need to get a plastic ball.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

Well my average over the past couple weeks has gone up. I'm somewhere around 180 now.

My virtual gravity is starting to hook too much on me though. I've noticed it slowly start going more and more to the left of the pocket and I'm hitting brooklyn strikes sometimes. I can tell when the lane is too dry and I need to put it away, but it's starting to do it on heavier oil too. Should I polish the ball a bit? Unfortunately the machine at the lanes, which I've only glanced at, just as settings like polish, more polish and OOB. Should I toss the VG on and give it some polish?

I'm also thinking about buying another ball. Does anyone here throw urethane? I was thinking about maybe picking one up for when the lanes are dry. I was thinking about maybe the Brunswick Karma.

Whale Cancer fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Apr 17, 2013

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Whale Cancer posted:

Well my average over the past couple weeks has gone up. I'm somewhere around 180 now.

My virtual gravity is starting to hook too much on me though. I've noticed it slowly start going more and more to the left of the pocket and I'm hitting brooklyn strikes sometimes. I can tell when the lane is too dry and I need to put it away, but it's starting to do it on heavier oil too. Should I polish the ball a bit? Unfortunately the machine at the lanes, which I've only glanced at, just as settings like polish, more polish and OOB. Should I toss the VG on and give it some polish?

Personally I'd hand polish it first, that way you can try a little bit and see how it reacts without going too far with it. Storm makes some reactive polish called Reacta-Shine that acts as a polish, but also adds some tackiness to the finish. So it'll go long but still maintain some aggressive grip when it hits the break-point.

http://www.bowlingball.com/products/bowling-accessories/Storm/3049/Reacta-Shine-Reactive-Polish-and-Cleaner-4-oz.html

Payout was on Monday, we ended up in 4th place overall. Not too bad, though I wish we could have at least taken 3rd, we were only 6 points behind. Ah well. Really stoked for our buddy who was a first-timer, he managed to get the high scratch score of the season... Something just clicked one night and he rolled a 264. Nice $50 bonus in his payout envelope :)

Scarf fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 17, 2013

Schach
Jul 21, 2007
I bowled last night for my league's star of the month roll off tournament thing. 151-241-223. My first 600 series, first clean game, and by far the highest single game I've ever bowled. I won't get any badges or anything because it wasn't actually at league but gently caress it I am hype as heck :slick:

I also picked up a ten pin 2 handed for the first time because hey why not. Screw ever throwing with one hand again.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Tonight was the final night of our mixed handicap league and we came into the night 2 points ahead in first place playing a team that pretty well matched up perfectly with us. We lost the first game by 70, dad couldn't find a good spot and bowled 40 pins below his average. Second and third game he finally found his spot and we took the last 2 by a combined total of 200 and won our very first league!

For reference our team consisted of

Me - 190 average
Dad - 212 average
Girlfriend bowling her first league ever - 118 average
Stepmom - 135 average

All in all a good mix of handicap and high scoring possibilities. Will wind up winning $1200 plus another $100 for team high scratch game. Lots of fun was had and I'll probably find a summer league closer to my house as this league was a good 45 min drive away.

Whale Cancer
Jun 25, 2004

I'm behind 2 weeks on my league games so I decided to go and play 6 games today and it was a huge mistake. I only hit my average one game, my average is a 157 and I bowled a 168. The lanes were drier than Bea Arthur's vagina and I couldn't get crap done. I probably averaged about a 130 today. I'm never going on a Tuesday again because the lanes are all dried up. I probably should have taken my Slingshot since it does a lot better on dry lanes.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Bowled the Illinois state team tournament on Sunday despite not throwing the ball for nearly a month. I shot 666 so I'm fairly happy with that, but when I missed oh boy did I miss badly. Unfortunately it was team event and I was high on my team by 50 so we're not cashing for poo poo.

Bowling at the Hoinke in Cincinnati this weekend. Maybe I'll throw a couple games in the middle of this week so my arm is actually loose this time.

Schach
Jul 21, 2007
Our season ended Wednesday and we got a pretty nice payout. Wound up in third place for the final session. I got most improved average!! I also bowled in the Star of the Year tournament on Friday and the person who won it beat me by three points, the pain of it all. After I rolled 615 a couple weeks ago when everything was just clicking, my game immediately fell apart the following league night. I think the main thing I need to work on is my balance, and maybe do something about how sticky my sliding foot seems.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

Schach posted:

and maybe do something about how sticky my sliding foot seems.

This is the one and only thing I miss about people not being able to smoke inside in Illinois anymore. Used to be if you were having a little bit of a slide problem you'd just put some cigarette ashes on your fingertips, work it into the slide part of the shoe a little bit, and voila! Not coming home smelling like a cigar store is nice though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Bowled a tournament on a whim today after I got off work because I was bored.

Won the whole loving thing. $1000 please and thank you. I'm bankrolled for the rest of the year and I can get some shiny new equipment.

• Locked thread