Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

So are there any good horror games on PSN you'd recommend? I was looking to see if they had the Fatal Frame games, which they sadly don't, but I saw they had Siren and some Siren Blood Curse episodes thing. Any other good ones?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Yardbomb posted:

So are there any good horror games on PSN you'd recommend? I was looking to see if they had the Fatal Frame games, which they sadly don't

Check back later this week

Angryhead
Apr 4, 2009

Don't call my name
Don't call my name
Alejandro

quakster posted:

Get Crash Team Racing off PSN, it's the best kart racing game ever made.

Quoting this for the next page.
Used to play a ton of it as a child. Those drat time trials are still really hard!

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
I'm very much enjoying the Tomb Raider reboot so far. Took the advice earlier in the thread and I'm playing it on hard. I like this new Lara, she's a nicely realised character. I have to say though, that pretty much everyone else in the game is a two-dimensional, badly written and badly acted caricature. It's not enough to stop this from being a Good Game, but they were really touting the writing and the story before it came out, and considering it is coming on the heels of Uncharted, which effectively replaced old Tomb Raider, I wasn't expecting such B-list work for the supporting cast, and C-list for the random NPC chatter. (I swear, I've heard enemy conversations where it sounds like one guy talking to himself. I actually shoot arrows into them before they can finish talking as the less I hear the stronger the game is.)

It's actually a bit jarring at times how inappropriately language is used. Lara approached one area, says the heavily overused "I have a bad feeling about this" while ominous music notes play in the background, then she immediately just sits down to watch footage on her camcorder. Um, what now? Later a supporting character gives her a motivational speech telling her she can accomplish her task, then just as she's standing up to go and get the job done he grabs her arm and tells her to be careful, completely undermining everything he just said to her previously, and making it seem like he's talking down to a child in whom he has no confidence. I'm facepalming at the writing far too often for my liking.

I won't mention the collectible journals and documents because I'm enjoying this game and talking about them will make it look like I'm not. I'm glad the game itself is so good, because decent writing in videogames is still so frustratingly rare.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:

Yardbomb posted:

So are there any good horror games on PSN you'd recommend? I was looking to see if they had the Fatal Frame games, which they sadly don't, but I saw they had Siren and some Siren Blood Curse episodes thing. Any other good ones?

Siren:BC is good, Siren is dated as gently caress. I'd suggest playing the demo for BC or watching the entire first episode on youtube. The games are unique, with a second person perspective gimmick and stealth/hiding tied in.

If you can't get enough Siren Blood Curse, PSHome might still have the Siren Hospital "ride"--haunted house thing.

If you lose all interest in the series I'd suggest watching the last boss battle on youtube, since that is the single most :catdrugs: trippiest environment I have seen in a game, to date.

Scyron fucked around with this message at 13:22 on Apr 8, 2013

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yardbomb posted:

Fatal Frame will be up tomorrow. No clue if 2/3 will follow.

On psn? I guess there's Silent Hill 1, and you could always buy the Silent Hill HD collection (but that's not on PSN)

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

For all you JRPG fans, Tales of Xillia is coming to the US in August.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Harlock posted:

For all you JRPG fans, Tales of Xillia is coming to the US in August.
It's not as good as Graces F though, I think anyway. Among other things, it's really hard to go back to traditional Tales combat after all the innovations in Graces (some of which were in the PS2 Destiny remake as well).

edit: I was initially excited that Xillia seemed to have a more open world that you could move around freely in from the very beginning, but it's a pretty empty world.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

Ineffiable posted:

...you could always buy the Silent Hill HD collection (but that's not on PSN)

Under no circumstances should anyone do this, it's the biggest piece of poo poo and has never been fixed.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
My PS3 arrived this morning, bought Journey and started downloading the Plus games for this month while playing it. Holy poo poo that game is pretty loving awesome, ran into somebody at the start of the final level, stuck with them all the way to the credits and it was pretty much one of my favourite game experiences ever. Being able to play online for free will also be a different feeling, on the 360 you felt obligated to play online once you bought a month of gold.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

RichterIX posted:

Under no circumstances should anyone do this, it's the biggest piece of poo poo and has never been fixed.

I thought they at least sorta fixed the PS3 one. I know they refused to pony up the money to fix the 360 version but I thought the PS3 one at least got a patch that mafe it at least playable.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I am sure a hacker knows all about rewarding and accomplished behavior. I mean, raping a chick with some mickeys is the same is getting laid right? Same result amirite guys? Nothing like work and not having to do it and get that sweet sweet payoff. :smug:
Playable sure, the retail has always been playable, it just looks like poo poo with no proper QA when the edge of the game universe is present because the fog was altered/lessened.

I do think 3/4 main entry SH games are on PSN but again, I would avoid the HD ones.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Scyron posted:

I do think 3/4 main entry SH games are on PSN

Only in Japan, as far as I can remember. Both US and EU have Silent Hill 1, though, and that hasn't aged too badly.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah if the PSN actually had the original SH2/3 I would recommend them. As it is, unless you have a B/C PS3 or a PS2 laying around, the HD collection is the only way to get your SH2/3.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
Maybe I've been spoiled by the awesomeness of the MGS HD collection and the Ico + Shadow of the Colossus HD collection but I can't see myself ever buying the Silent Hill HD collection or the Zone of the Enders HD collection given the problems they have.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

...! posted:

Maybe I've been spoiled by the awesomeness of the MGS HD collection and the Ico + Shadow of the Colossus HD collection but I can't see myself ever buying the Silent Hill HD collection or the Zone of the Enders HD collection given the problems they have.

I love ZoE2 more than most games but I could only play the HD release through once. It was that bad. I'm still angry when I think about it.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Bluepoint, why hast thou forsaken me?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

The Jak, Ratchet, Sly and DMC collections were all fine too. It's just Konami's shitkicker hiring tactics once MGS HD went gold.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

kirbysuperstar posted:

The Jak, Ratchet, Sly and DMC collections were all fine too.

Eh, DMC 3 looked fine, but I had plenty of hang ups during my playthroughs.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Krad posted:

Eh, DMC 3 looked fine, but I had plenty of hang ups during my playthroughs.

Huh. I've only messed about with it for a couple of hours, but didn't notice anything like that. Strange.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Scyron posted:

Siren:BC is good, Siren is dated as gently caress.

I don't know what exactly you'd say is so particularly dated about it - the graphics are perfectly fine for a PS2 game, especially the creepy facial stuff they used. The voice acting is actually very good. The game itself is hard as balls and obtuse, but that's Working As Intended.

Blood Curse is a lot slicker/easier, but I wouldn't categorically say it's the "better" version. The original is definitely worth $10 for a horror fan, especially for the non-traditional plot presentation and intense "oh poo poo oh gently caress I can't fight my way out of this" gameplay.

I mean if playing as (mild spoilers) a little girl who gets a Game Over if an enemy so much as looks at you that has to escape from a house while hiding in cabinets and such isn't real "survival horror" I don't know what is. :colbert:

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Policenaut posted:

Bluepoint, why hast thou forsaken me?

The best game in town, without a doubt. They don't come cheap, though; they refuse to cut corners on stuff, and some publishers just aren't cool with that and want a collection now now now, get it out now please oh please just get us more money now HD hahahahahahaha NOW.

Bluepoint straight-up reverse engineers their poo poo, and the do their games on a per-title basis. It might take 'em a while, but I doubt you're going to get a better outcome from an outside developer, and their track record shows it.

That's part of the problem, though; when you take games coded for highly specialized hardware and try to run them on other highly-specialized hardware, you're going to end up with... well, with the Silent Hill Collection. When you care enough and drill down to how the games talked to that highly specialized hardware while knowing how to also talk to other highly specialized hardware, you get everything Bluepoint has done.

I do kinda hate that they are probably so swamped with requests at this point for making other people's stuff run awesomely that they can't make their own games, though. Blast Factor was a pretty good game, and was one of the first bits of DLC for the PS3 that wasn't, y'know, horse armor and stuff.

Seriously talented folks, those guys.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

kirbysuperstar posted:

Huh. I've only messed about with it for a couple of hours, but didn't notice anything like that. Strange.

Yeah, sometimes it'd be stuck during a loading screen (all black), at other times the cutscenes wouldn't load and I'd just hear the sound playing in the background. Hitting any buttons did nothing except for the home button.

Pretty annoying when you're trying to make some progress on a DMD run. :mad:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
It'd be nice if the HD collections could follow God of War's example. Those ports were flawless and looked pretty good.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

RatHat posted:

It'd be nice if the HD collections could follow God of War's example. Those ports were flawless and looked pretty good.

And they added Vita remote play to that and the ICO/SOTC one, which was pretty spiffy.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

RatHat posted:

Mark of Kri and Rise of the Kasai would be the greatest presents ever.

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

RatHat posted:

God of War Origins specifically. The first HD Collection was mostly excellent, but it really was just better resolution/fps and the FMVs were left in their original 480p quality. The Origins Collection, due to the original games being on the PSP, actually received major improvements to some of the modeling/texture quality, run in 1080p instead of the 720p most collections go with while also getting 60fps, and all the FMVs were completely re-rendered at 1080p using the original assets. It looks like the HD ports of FFX/FFX-2 and Kingdom Hearts seem to be going the extra mile too, with improved/redone models/textures/FMVs beyond just better resolution and framerate, and KH1 HD even has gameplay improvements.

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

precision posted:

I don't know what exactly you'd say is so particularly dated about it - the graphics are perfectly fine for a PS2 game, especially the creepy facial stuff they used. The voice acting is actually very good. The game itself is hard as balls and obtuse, but that's Working As Intended.

Blood Curse is a lot slicker/easier, but I wouldn't categorically say it's the "better" version. The original is definitely worth $10 for a horror fan, especially for the non-traditional plot presentation and intense "oh poo poo oh gently caress I can't fight my way out of this" gameplay.

I mean if playing as (mild spoilers) a little girl who gets a Game Over if an enemy so much as looks at you that has to escape from a house while hiding in cabinets and such isn't real "survival horror" I don't know what is. :colbert:

Well, if it comes down to $$ the first Siren might be fine, but I really enjoyed BC, however going back to Siren was extremely hard and not fun with the improvements BC has.

I don't care about the graphics, I think Siren was fine in that department, as well as music. But gameplay is an issue and I feel that was not designed well enough, especially for gamers in 2013. When I played Siren it was like 2008, and it wasn't really enjoyable then, I just wanted to try and get more Siren lore/fun and the ps2 title wasn't the answer.

Scyron fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Apr 9, 2013

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

I've bought both Sirens twice (PSN and hard copy) and completed them to 100% multiple times, but I'd have to say that Siren PS2 is a better game to experience while Siren PS3 is a better game to play.

Siren PS2 is just this insurmountable cliff of death, depression, and outright nihilism that exists to crush you under the sheer gravity of the situation. It really feels like you're in this no win situation and you're just delaying the inevitable in a way that isn't just the game recursively screaming "HOLY gently caress YOU'RE GONNA DIE" at you (e.g. Corpse Party). I'm fully convinced that Siren PS2 would love nothing more than to reach out of your TV and strangle you to death. It's probably my favorite survival horror game in terms of atmosphere. It's got the creepy L.A Noire mo-cap faces, the off-kilter edge brought by the British voice acting, and the drab palette really helps sell the whole dead world angle.

It's also ridiculously hard, like to the point where I'd suggest you load up a GameFAQs guide on your phone or a tablet or something while you play because some of the objectives you need to complete to progress through the game aren't told to you until you start getting caught up in the game's time loops. The controls are perfectly PS1/2 era golden age survival horror, its hard as hell, and you actually have to beat the game 100% to get the full story. I believe Egomaniac is doing an "HD" Let's Play of it right now, so if the actual game doesn't do it for you then you could experience it that way.

precision posted:

This is also like one of the best sequences in modern survival horror and it says a lot that, in spite of Blood Curse doing its own thing 90% of the time, they pretty much carbon-copied it for the remake (up until the last 5 minutes).

Scyron
Aug 27, 2005

I still enjoy the music a ton, like this hilarious jem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca8Yw41ioMA

See I got through Siren two times or loops, on the third I looked up stuff on a guide on how to get somewhere else, and I felt the game devolved into following instructions, since there are a ton of steps typically required, and that just wasn't enjoyable.

I can easily see how $40 is hard to swallow for BC, but I dunno, the episodic presentation was also really well done.

Scyron fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 9, 2013

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

BreakAtmo posted:

God of War Origins specifically. The first HD Collection was mostly excellent, but it really was just better resolution/fps and the FMVs were left in their original 480p quality. The Origins Collection, due to the original games being on the PSP, actually received major improvements to some of the modeling/texture quality, run in 1080p instead of the 720p most collections go with while also getting 60fps, and all the FMVs were completely re-rendered at 1080p using the original assets. It looks like the HD ports of FFX/FFX-2 and Kingdom Hearts seem to be going the extra mile too, with improved/redone models/textures/FMVs beyond just better resolution and framerate, and KH1 HD even has gameplay improvements.

Sup, Digital Foundry reader.

Although it's not as technically impressive as other HD remasters, running at 720p30 with no anti-aliasing or texture filtering, the Resident Evil 4 HD remaster is great simply because they added the new control scheme from 5 and 6. This also happened with the first Devil May Cry, which uses the improved controls from the later games.

If Metal Gear Solid 3 had gotten the same treatment, and had the controls from MGS4 and Peace Walker, it would be the single best game in the series. Oddly enough, the 3DS version did get the control scheme from the PSP version of Peace Walker, which allowed you to crouch run, move while aiming and an over-the-shoulder camera for aiming, but a sub-20fps frame rate and aiming with the face buttons makes it far from the best version to play.

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT

El Hefe posted:

This is actually a good thing.

I've never understood why anyone cares about voice chat with random internet people. Ever since it was implemented a million years ago all I have ever heard in any game is people cursing at random intervals, the sound of someone eating celery into the microphone non-stop, the person's television turned up to maximum volume, or their ceiling fan is blowing hard as hell directly into the microphone. It's beginning to make me think people go out and buy microphones just to curse into them and have no plans at all to actually communicate with other people. What kind of fool goes out and spends money for the opportunity to let everyone hear him say BULLSHIT! BULLSHIT! ... BULLSHIT ten million times? Everybody, evidently. Just a bunch of nasally bitching forever and ever, and it's choppy as poo poo about 90% of the time, too.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

whaley posted:

I've never understood why anyone cares about voice chat with random internet people. Ever since it was implemented a million years ago all I have ever heard in any game is people cursing at random intervals, the sound of someone eating celery into the microphone non-stop, the person's television turned up to maximum volume, or their ceiling fan is blowing hard as hell directly into the microphone. It's beginning to make me think people go out and buy microphones just to curse into them and have no plans at all to actually communicate with other people. What kind of fool goes out and spends money for the opportunity to let everyone hear him say BULLSHIT! BULLSHIT! ... BULLSHIT ten million times? Everybody, evidently. Just a bunch of nasally bitching forever and ever, and it's choppy as poo poo about 90% of the time, too.

Yeah, not only is voice chat a horrible pit of racism and homophobia, but I also actually get a big kick out of ingame nonverbal communication. It's kinda fun using emotes and gestures to communicate with a team, or bro'ing it up and doing a Praise The Sun. And something like Journey, where you communicate entirely through little pips of sound was fantastic for me. It turns language and communication into a part of the game. It's absolutely fascinating. And plus you don't have to listen to teenagers call you a loving gaylord human being the whole time.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

whaley posted:

I've never understood why anyone cares about voice chat with random internet people.

I dunno. I've met a few guys on earlier XBL that I've kept contact with for years and even met in real life a few times. Sometimes you find some really great and friendly people, but the chances of that have really slimmed some now. You still run into fun people on occasion, but you gotta sift through that mountain of assholes and mic-breathers for it.

Also I grabbed the original Siren because dang some of you guys made it sound too good to pass up at $10. I'll definitely take a look at the Blood Curse episodes some time if I dig this one though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

whaley posted:

I've never understood why anyone cares about voice chat with random internet people.

Because Battlefield is better than Call of Duty.

Green Puddin
Mar 30, 2008

whaley posted:

Because I want to talk to my friends on the Internets while we play games?

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Random voice chat on XBL pretty much died once party chat became a thing. In almost every game I've played online, I've usually been in a voice chat with only people on my friends list, and when I play alone most people aren't audible even if they have a mic because I assume they are doing the same. Given a choice between a communal chat room with randoms, or a private room with friends, nearly everyone picks the latter.

We'll all be doing the same on PS4.

Krad
Feb 4, 2008

Touche

That loving Sned posted:

Although it's not as technically impressive as other HD remasters, running at 720p30 with no anti-aliasing or texture filtering, the Resident Evil 4 HD remaster is great simply because they added the new control scheme from 5 and 6.

Uhhh, this never happened. All they did was get the Wii version, upscale it, and remove the wii remote controls.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

doctor 7 posted:

Mark of Kri and Rise of the Kasai would be the greatest presents ever.

Oh hey, you're the one other guy who played and remembered those games. What's up, buddy? I still think that combat system is probably one of the most creative ever made. Focus on one target you get deeper combos, focus on three you only get shallow combos. A shame the series never sold well, a game like that with that art direction would have looked spectacular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Yeah, speaking as someone whose first experience through Resident Evil 4 was on the Playstation 3, it definitely does not share the same control scheme as RE5. It honestly took some of my enjoyment out of the game, considering how much better RE5 played than RE4. If I've got both analog sticks, I'd like to be able to use them right. :colbert:

• Locked thread