Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
revolther
May 27, 2008

Parkingtigers posted:

Random voice chat on XBL pretty much died once party chat became a thing. In almost every game I've played online, I've usually been in a voice chat with only people on my friends list, and when I play alone most people aren't audible even if they have a mic because I assume they are doing the same. Given a choice between a communal chat room with randoms, or a private room with friends, nearly everyone picks the latter.

We'll all be doing the same on PS4.

I've experienced this in person with people playing XBL games, "Oh I'm playing L4D2 but talking to my friend while he plays some Black Ops", I said it then and I'll say it now...

These are some weird, "stay on the phone I just wanna hear the sound of your voice--", "sit in the bathroom with me while I take a poo poo--", breast-fed well into your teens, weird weird, weird weird, issues people have got here.

It's like a proverbial umbilical cord allowing the ego to be nourished by uncritical praise regardless of situation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
Only a goon could think talking to a friend while playing a videogame is somehow more odd than sitting alone while playing a videogame.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
So apparently Square were disappointed with Tomb Raider. They expected it to sell 5-6 million copies in the first month and are now pissed because it just sold 3.6 million.

:stare:

Why do companies keep doing this? The next gen is going to be interesting because games are going to get even pricier to make and the big companies are going to have to learn to be more realistic and budget accordingly if they want to survive. It's probably going to lead to even less risks though or at least less risks that actually have budgets.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
At this point, Square HAS to remake FF7. It's the only game they got left that could possibly meet their sale expectations.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, not only is voice chat a horrible pit of racism and homophobia, but I also actually get a big kick out of ingame nonverbal communication. It's kinda fun using emotes and gestures to communicate with a team, or bro'ing it up and doing a Praise The Sun. And something like Journey, where you communicate entirely through little pips of sound was fantastic for me. It turns language and communication into a part of the game. It's absolutely fascinating. And plus you don't have to listen to teenagers call you a loving gaylord human being the whole time.
If only Borderlands 2 had ANY kind of communication method like that, even just a button that makes some gesture/macro telling the other players to stop being spazzes and actually help me survive and complete the quest.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

It's what happens when a company is so poorly managed. They need those high sales expectations to make up for their incompetence. Instead of AAA or indie, the "B" game needs to come back. It's why consider the 90's and 00's to be a golden age because you had a spectrum of games of various production quality and budget being made that ending up being good. People shouldn't have to turn to Kickstarter to get their "B" game.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

axleblaze posted:

So apparently Square were disappointed with Tomb Raider. They expected it to sell 5-6 million copies in the first month and are now pissed because it just sold 3.6 million.

Why do companies keep doing this? The next gen is going to be interesting because games are going to get even pricier to make and the big companies are going to have to learn to be more realistic and budget accordingly if they want to survive. It's probably going to lead to even less risks though or at least less risks that actually have budgets.

In a perfect world it would lead to games being actual games again, instead of glorified semi-interactive movies with awful writing and acting.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

notZaar posted:

In a perfect world it would lead to games being actual games again, instead of glorified semi-interactive movies with awful writing and acting.

In a perfect world, all games would be made by Platinum. :allears:

-B l a z e i n g-
May 11, 2010
Hello, I am proud to announce that I have chose the PlayStation3 Super slim as my go to entertainment device. Those of you who know me know that I was a HUGE Xbox zealot for most of my adolescence and formative adulthood. Those days are gone; no more going into the dash and getting some full screen block telling me to sign up for Xbox live, no more advertisements on top of the fact that Im paying a premium to play peer to peer multi with dipshits who are probably tweaking on adhd meds anyway lol. I no longer have to suffer with a dashboard interface that looks like its catered to children and girls and has those stupid avatar ads with the avatars that look way to excited to be dancing to some dubsteb with a Honda logo telling me I can put a 2013 civic next to my avatar. So stupid., I can now just play offline and not have some nickel and dining scheme shoved in my face or roll my eyes with really high blood pressure to some piece of crap ad that isn't even targeted to my tastes. If my controller is low on juice, I can just charge it via USB and watch a BluRay - - not spend 30 fuckin US Dollars on a proprietary cable with a battery or waste some AA duracells lmao. Have already ordered a ton of games and Hd collectiens as well - I am still remaining cautiously optimistic about next gen, even the PS4 (which looks fantastic) - and likely won't make the switch until the hardware has been out for a while - but with those Ms rumours that always come true, the next box might as well be called the Ms Shortbus, with it being designed with complete non gamers in mind and some big brother bullshi like always online and mandatory Kinect, etc. Am currently enjoying Bioshock Infinite and the God of War saga, and am looking forward to my next adventures on this greener pasture.

-B l a z e i n g- fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Apr 9, 2013

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

notZaar posted:

Oh there are plenty of games like that. Tomb Raider for example.

TaurusOxford posted:

In a perfect world, all games would be made by Platinum. :allears:

He said without awful writing and acting :colbert:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

notZaar posted:

You know what totally called it? The MANUAL for Crusader: No Remorse, back in 1995. There was a little in-world insert by the evil megacorp, I forget their name, talking about the next blockbuster action movie. It was interactive and viewers had a choice about what they could tell the hero to do, but it was so overwhelmingly obvious what the hero should do that the audience choosing that way was inevitable.

edit:

-B l a z e i n g- posted:

angry xbox stuff
I doubt you're gonna have that many fewer complaints about the PS3's interface. It's fairly bad in its own way.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Apr 9, 2013

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

TaurusOxford posted:

At this point, Square HAS to remake FF7. It's the only game they got left that could possibly meet their sale expectations.
Have you played the game? It'd cost a fuckload to remake, and you either lose the nostalgia crowd by changing too much or flop miserably by keeping things the same. Seriously, it's a lose-lose situation.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Jimbot posted:

It's what happens when a company is so poorly managed. They need those high sales expectations to make up for their incompetence. Instead of AAA or indie, the "B" game needs to come back. It's why consider the 90's and 00's to be a golden age because you had a spectrum of games of various production quality and budget being made that ending up being good. People shouldn't have to turn to Kickstarter to get their "B" game.

The "B" title doesn't really have a place anymore. The games that really make money are either extremely high budget blockbusters or low budget arcade/indie titles. The price range of about "$20-$40" is hard to find an audience for.

axleblaze posted:

I like Tomb Raider a lot but it being not an interactive movie is pretty hard to argue.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

axleblaze posted:

He said without awful writing and acting :colbert:

Better than anything else that came from Metal Gear. :colbert:

quote:

Seriously, it's a lose-lose situation.

It couldn't be much worse than Square's current situation where they can't make anything without it being a horrible mess or it only selling a little over half of their ridiculous expectations.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Apr 9, 2013

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

I like Tomb Raider a lot but it being not an interactive movie is pretty hard to argue.

It has some linear stuff but the vast majority of it takes place in open environments that let you do things the way you want to. It's linear but so was Mario.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

axleblaze posted:

Well in this case it's more of Square's gently caress up. Remember that lovely FF movie? Yeah they still haven't recovered from it. They basically expect the western games to keep their stupid expensive lovely FF budget afloat when they should realize FF isn't what it used to be.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

axleblaze posted:

Don't those numbers exclude digital sales on Steam (which is the majority of PC sales), PSN, etc...

I think you meant to post that in this thread.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

axleblaze posted:

It has some linear stuff but the vast majority of it takes place in open environments that let you do things the way you want to. It's linear but so was Mario.
There seems to be some terminology problem going on because half the people say its open and half the people say its a corridor. I want to know which one it is too, since I think I would like its gameplay but after playing Bioshock Infinite and it not doing very much for me at all, I am through with corridor shooters.

quakster
Jul 21, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Samurai Sanders posted:

There seems to be some terminology problem going on because half the people say its open and half the people say its a corridor. I want to know which one it is too, since I think I would like its gameplay but after playing Bioshock Infinite and it not doing very much for me at all, I am through with corridor shooters.
Corridors with endless QTEs. Sorry. :(

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
^^^I don't get it when people say it's endless QTEs. It starts out rather QTE heavy but once it gets settled they pretty much mostly fade way.

Samurai Sanders posted:

It varies. Some areas are fairly open with multiple ways up and to approach the enmies, while others are smaller with less ways to approach things. The game does have a path it pretty much leads you along though but you can also ignore that and take yur time and epxlore the giant environments. Arkham Asylum is still the best analogue for how open it is right down to some areas having new enemies appear when you revisit them.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Samurai Sanders posted:

It's a pretty linear game BUT some areas are pretty open and lets you explore and look for treasure and stuff, AND you can warp to previous areas if you want to explore some more.
People saying it's a corridor shooter probably just ran through the game as quickly as possible. It's definitely not Uncharted-linear. My first (100%) playthrough took roughly 25 hours, but I stubbornly refused to look stuff up on Gamefaqs when I couldn't find what I was loking for. Even if you know where everything is, 100%-ing the game should take around 10-15 hours or so. I've put over 40 hours into the game, including MP and two 100% playthroughs, so I might be a bit biased, though.

The game is really easy so you should play it on hard. Don't play it as a cover shooter - it's much more fun if run around a lot and get into the bad guys' faces.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Apr 9, 2013

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009
There's never any question where you need to go in the game but corridor seems like a harsh indictment because there is absolutely space to explore.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

axleblaze posted:

It varies. Some areas are fairly open with multiple ways up and to approach the enmies, while others are smaller with less ways to approach things. The game does have a path it pretty much leads you along though but you can also ignore that and take yur time and epxlore the giant environments. Arkham Asylum is still the best analogue for how open it is right down to some areas having new enemies appear when you revisit them.
People said this about Bioshock Infinite too, that's why I am suspicious. That game is definitely hallway-arena-hallway-arena-hallway-arena, same as Uncharted or a CoD game or whatever.

edit: it makes me feel like I have no agency, like I am just the passive recipient of enemy attacks and that's it. The only shooters I like these days are like Borderlands and Far Cry, where I feel like I am in control of who, how and whether I attack certain enemies.

edit: speaking of FC3, just in case you don't know, Blood Dragon is real. I feel like it should be in that alternative world photoshop thread in GBS right now.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 9, 2013

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

axleblaze posted:

I'm sorry, I can't let that pass. I'm playing that game right now, and the writing and acting is loving atrocious and gets worse the further I get into it. I'm now into "chosen one" territory, every conversation with Lara ends with someone telling her to be careful, and they hired identical twins to voice every single NPC henchmen in the game. The main big bad is so comically awful I find myself almost reaching for the skip cutscene button, and I've never skipped a cutscene in any game in my life.

The game is mechanically sound, but I've found myself hating the fact that I've recently spent a huge amount of time crouching behind waist-high barriers shooting at hordes of bad guys swarming into the corrugated iron generic shanty town setting. I'm so glad this game took the bold step of introducing such groundbreaking and innovative gameplay. It's now just like any of a hundred generic shooter. t's not a bad game, but goddamn this isn't why I play a Tomb Raider game. I want Parkour, and mystery, and adventure, and a sense of wonder at discovering secret puzzles of the ancients. This is a poor clone of the first Uncharted game (complete down to even the leftover WWII equipmente), you know the the one which had too much combat and not enough exploration, but without the sympathetic characters, the humour, the charm, or the genuinely funny script.

Sorry, had to vent a little, as solidly made as the game is I'm hugely disappointed by it as a reboot and I'm getting fatigued by how old everything in the game feels. I'm now at the point where, just as with just about every single modern shooter, they start replacing enemies with armoured bullet sponge versions as a form of game progression. It feels like the only thing this game brought to the table was letting me kill people with a bow, which ... okay that is pretty sweet, but everything else I've seen before. I liked Tomb Raider games more when the environment was the challenge, looking up and seeing a place I wanted to go and working out how on earth I was going to get there, making stomach-churning leaps of faith out to ledges that weren't spray painted white to let you know HERE, JUMP HERE, YOU CAN HOLD ON HERE. In putting in extremely competent shooting mechanics they decided to turn the game into a shooter. But I have shooter games piled up to my eyeballs, what I lack are thrilling action adventure exploration games with tons of climbing and mystery.

Seriously, loving chosen one. Blah blah blah cultists. Exposition dump collectible journals because everyone on the island has been stopping to write diary entries, like NOONE EVER DOES.

This game does not have good writing. gently caress no it doesn't.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 9, 2013

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Samurai Sanders posted:

People said this about Bioshock Infinite too, that's why I am suspicious. That game is definitely hallway-arena-hallway-arena-hallway-arena, same as Uncharted or a CoD game or whatever.

edit: it makes me feel like I have no agency, like I am just the passive recipient of enemy attacks and that's it. The only shooters I like these days are like Borderlands and Far Cry, where I feel like I am in control of who, how and whether I attack certain enemies.

You usually clear out an area and are free to explore at your leisure afterwards. The enemies respawn once and never again (as far as I can tell) until you beat the game. Some areas are pure "action" corridors that you can't explore, but those areas usually show up after you've cleared one of the bigger ones. Sometimes the game throws the enemies at you, sometimes you get to choose how to approach them. I've cleared entire areas without the enemies ever detecting me, using stealth kills and the bow. It's no Far Cry 3, but it's definitely not just another corridor shooter if you ask me.

EDIT: The puzzles are extremely easy compared to the earlier Tomb Raider games, unfortunately, but at least they don't straight-up tell you what to do and how to do it like in Uncharted.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Apr 9, 2013

revolther
May 27, 2008
Sounds like a "set piece" shooter which is what I'd describe Bioshock Infinite as, and would compare it to Half-Life 2. Basically a linear on rails narrated roller coaster experience with a few interesting locations to "explore" meaning that you can reload and shoot through differently or pixel hunt for BACKSTORY.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

edit: speaking of FC3, just in case you don't know, Blood Dragon is real. I feel like it should be in that alternative world photoshop thread in GBS right now.

If you found Bioshock Infinite to be Hallway-arena, you're going to feel pretty much the same about Tomb Raider.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

revolther posted:

Sounds like a "set piece" shooter which is what I'd describe Bioshock Infinite as, and would compare it to Half-Life 2. Basically a linear on rails narrated roller coaster experience with a few interesting locations to "explore" meaning that you can reload and shoot through differently or pixel hunt for BACKSTORY.

That's pretty accurate, I guess, but without the sarcasm. It's pretty drat enjoyable for what it is. However, it's probably not what Samurai Sanders is looking for.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Samurai Sanders posted:

The game is basically in the middle of where people who are singing it praises and people that are saying it's a mere corridor shooter is. There's a decent incentive to backtrack and do side things, but it does have a tendency to drive you on to the next part (admittedly it doesn't force this, so you can backtrack and spend hours collecting things while say someone is minutes from death, everything is going to explode, moon crashes into the planet, etc).

Based on what you said about FC3 and Borderlands you wouldn't like it (and also I would probably like Borderlands), but I will say that Tomb Raider is fun, so if you can manage to ever rent or borrow it from someone go for it.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

I dunno what else to say other than I disagree. I know the story isn't as good as Uncharted but I find what's there to be likable enough to movie things along. You can bitch about the journals but they give the characters oitvations and depth that I did find interesting. I also did like Lara's comments on everything. In general I do find Lara to be a likable character in the game and I find the characters reactions to be beleivable. It's not a groundbreaking, mind blowing story but I think it serves the game well.

I also like the gunplay WAY more than Uncharted (and I like Uncharted's gunplay). The enemies have lots of stuff that keep you on your toes and keep you from just crouching behind one piece of cover. All your weapons feel different and have real weight to them (though I still didn't really use anything outside of the bow because it was so awesome). Enemies go down quick but will try and make up for it by flanking and distracting you. It's not the hardest game event hen but really haven't experienced third person shooting I liked more.

The exploration element is there but it is more secondary. Still if you want a giant place to explore with puzzles to figure out adn secrets to find it's there and it's really fun. The game will have you making crazy leaps of faith yet.

Also no tomb raider game has really had parkour so I don't know why you were expecting that.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
On voicechat, it's great to have as an option, as long as there is also the option to mute people (ME3 MP I'm looking at you :argh: ). If I'm playing a game with friends then I'll use a mic, but generally don't when playing solo. But games like DeS or DkS that don't allow voicechat are also cool, since it's fun to try and work that out using in-game stuff.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Guacamelee is clocking an 89 out of 11 critics reviews on Metacritic so far. (granted, some of those review sites are place I've never loving heard of, but places like IGN and Polygon have checked in, clocking 90's.)

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Is there something up with PSN? I can't log into my US account (the whole service, not just the store) and it gives me an error message I have never seen before. I can login on my PC though.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is there something up with PSN? I can't log into my US account (the whole service, not just the store) and it gives me an error message I have never seen before. I can login on my PC though.

I just time out every time I try to log in.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

axleblaze posted:

I dunno what else to say other than I disagree. I know the story isn't as good as Uncharted but I find what's there to be likable enough to movie things along. You can bitch about the journals but they give the characters oitvations and depth that I did find interesting. I also did like Lara's comments on everything. In general I do find Lara to be a likable character in the game and I find the characters reactions to be beleivable. It's not a groundbreaking, mind blowing story but I think it serves the game well.

I liked Lara in this game at first, and I still mostly do. Mostly. I am disappointed at how bloodthirsty she gets in her comments while fighting, obviously the story wouldn't suit Nate Drake style quips, but she went callous fairly quickly. But having already killed like two hundred dudes that's to be expected. My issue is that ... well, I've killed two hundred dudes.

This whole thing with collectible diaries, documents, audiologs, tape recordings, it's a festering boil on the arse of modern videogame storytelling. It's not exclusive to this game, but again my frustration with this as a reboot is that it's just copying everything that all the other games are doing these days. In so many games, in so many worlds, people are leaving snippets of thoughts recorded in various media for the player to find. Info-dumping story chunks is never elegant. If it was important and relevant to the narrative, it should be part of the narrative, not missable and tucked away like a guilty secret. As the characters are generic-Glaswegian, generic-Maori, generic-feisty black woman etc, they aren't revealing in any way. The fact that generic feisty black woman has a 14 year old daughter whom has never been told the identity of her father despite the fact that mum is clearly still in close and regular contact with him only weakened that character for me. Yes, writing it down and leaving it scattered somewhere on an island that no-one even knew existed is a great way to get that information out. Also they label the collectibles in the menu, one set is called "diaries of a mad man", and you start finding them and reading them before the main story even makes it clear that he is a mad man. Instead of letting the player judge the person on their deeds, which frankly isn't going to be hard as he's got less depth than the average Scooby Doo villain (and has a worse voice actor), they just straight out tell you he's bonkers. Ugh. Also, jealous and inept professor hoping to steal protégé's work? Well can't see his actions coming from ten miles away, then a diary entry just straight out blurts that he's as shallow as he appears.

But as I say, it's something I dislike in almost every game that has done it. I'm sure a couple nailed it, which is why so many bad copies have appeared. I mostly dislike the fact that in a genuinely immersive and realistic game it suddenly pauses on a silent black screen with white text to do an info-dump. Spec Ops: The Line, a game with a great narrative, also had this same immersion breaking switch to the background material. It's jarring, and not consistent with the message they are trying to make.

axleblaze posted:

I also like the gunplay WAY more than Uncharted (and I like Uncharted's gunplay). The enemies have lots of stuff that keep you on your toes and keep you from just crouching behind one piece of cover. All your weapons feel different and have real weight to them (though I still didn't really use anything outside of the bow because it was so awesome). Enemies go down quick but will try and make up for it by flanking and distracting you. It's not the hardest game event hen but really haven't experienced third person shooting I liked more.

I have no complaints about the handling or the gunplay at all. The bow is awesome, and I agree with everything that you say here. It's a very technically accomplished shooter, and if I hadn't played a gazillion other games that weren't also technically accomplished shooters I'd appreciate it more. I might appreciate it more if the balance of climbing/exploration to combat was better too. Like I say, it feels like a reskinned Uncharted 1, complete with the complaints about the balance of gameplay in that one. I spent what felt like ages going through that shanty town, which felt so similar to going through similar locations in a bunch of other modern military shooters. Then I had more of the same on the long fight out of a temple. The locations aren't unique enough, and with so many enemies pouring into the arena sections the lack of variety in the enemy models (and the voices for them) makes each fight a bit too similar visually. Even though, as you say, they are technically very well accomplished.

axleblaze posted:

Also no tomb raider game has really had parkour so I don't know why you were expecting that.

Eh what? Maybe we're just quibbling over the choice of words, but by Parkour I just mean super-extreme wall climbing and jumping etc at perilous heights. As in, what the very first Tomb Raider pretty much established as a thing in video games.

In spite of all I've said, it's still a decent game worth playing. It does some very nice stuff with the naturalistic camerawork, the shooting is solid, it's a pretty game. It just could have been an amazing game with just better writing and voice acting. Honestly, just better words spoken by better actors and this could have been a classic. I'm reminded of the excellent post mortem of the Vita Uncharted game on Gamasutra. They talked about how they did rewrites and got the voice actors to do retakes of scenes because it just wasn't portraying the characters correctly, it didn't have the right tone, how people thought the female co-lead came across as unsympathetic. That wasn't even Naughty Dog, that was a smaller studio recognizing they had to take good care of someone else's beloved characters, and they nailed it because they took that care.

Me and Lara go way back. I bought the first game when it cost me literally half a week's wages. I was young and poor, and for two weeks that first game kept me mesmerized. It invented this style of game, it was incredibly important and groundbreaking and most importantly so loving good. Lara Croft deserved more than what she got with this game. I'm going to finish it, collect all the doodads, then I'm never going to need to play it again. That's sad. I've played all of the games apart from the realty lovely Angel one, finished most of them, but all this new one makes me do is want to go back and play Tomb Raider Anniversary again. I never thought I'd miss block pushing puzzles and come over all nostalgic for them.

Oh and the original comment about interactive movies someone made? I have recently had at least two cutscenes (bookending a spoilery plot point) where the entire action was a cutscene out of my control, where Lara killed people and things happened, that could and perhaps should have been under my control. While I don't think interactive movie is a bad thing, I mean gently caress I WANT interactive movies, I did find myself noticing that I should have had some input into those events as they were significant.

ChetReckless
Sep 16, 2009

That is precisely the thing to do, Avatar.

Feenix posted:

Guacamelee is clocking an 89 out of 11 critics reviews on Metacritic so far. (granted, some of those review sites are place I've never loving heard of, but places like IGN and Polygon have checked in, clocking 90's.)

Alex from Giant Bomb has it at 4/5, the Shacknews review was pretty happy with it as well. I was already pretty close to grabbing this on the strength of the Tales from Space games, but I think this cinches it.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER

ChetReckless posted:

Alex from Giant Bomb has it at 4/5, the Shacknews review was pretty happy with it as well. I was already pretty close to grabbing this on the strength of the Tales from Space games, but I think this cinches it.

Cross-buy, cross-save, three dollars off for PS+ members and a groovy thing where you can use your Vita as a controller for the PS3 version means I must buy this game right now.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Feenix posted:

Guacamelee is the poo poo and feels like Drinkbox might finally break into the big time. They've been making really solid games for a while now, but they seem to have found the right combination of style and mechanics to help push them into the limelight where they deserve to be. I'm psyched the game is reviewing well, because you can tell it's a labor of love by just a handful of guys.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

We'll just have to agree to disagree. This is one of my favorite games this gen so I don't really think it isn't foing lara justice. I think dismissing it as an Uncharted clone does kind of ignore the fact that outside of story (which I still don't think Tomb Raider does that bad of a job with), it pretty much does everything Uncharted does better.

I admit I don't have the attachment to Tomb Raider you probably do. I played early ones a little bit but the first one I ever beat was Legend (which also wasn't so much about exploring tombs or solving puzzles) and I really have liked the Crystal Dynamics games. I just really, really like this game and don't really have a problem with any of the stuff your finding problems with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BreakAtmo
May 16, 2009

That loving Sned posted:

Sup, Digital Foundry reader.

Heh, I do read Digital Foundry, but funnily enough, most of that post was from reading other things. The GoW Origins stuff was from, I believe, a blog post by the devs, and the FF/KH stuff has been reported in quite a few places.

• Locked thread