Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Nobody Interesting posted:

Okay. these guys have it.

It's £140. I feel like I shouldn't be spending this much. Just how useful is the trackir in Arma? I'm pretty much just a standard rear end infantryman but I have a soft spot for aviation and would fly more if I could actually have some kind of spacial awareness outside my cockpit.

If you're *only* getting it for Arma, it might not be worth it if money is somewhat of a issue, however, if you play or are interested in any good flight games (Warthunder[free to play], DCS, IL-2, etc.) Then I would say that 100 % it is totally worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Mederlock posted:

If you're *only* getting it for Arma, it might not be worth it if money is somewhat of a issue, however, if you play or are interested in any good flight games (Warthunder[free to play], DCS, IL-2, etc.) Then I would say that 100 % it is totally worth it.

I do have DCS and it's something I'd like to get into. I love flight simulators on the whole but just don't have the gear to get serious with them, other than a joystick.

It's cheaper without the track clip (go figure) and apparently it's not entirely necessary to have one anyway. £120 is a bit more manageable, I guess...

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Nobody Interesting posted:

Okay. these guys have it.

It's £140. I feel like I shouldn't be spending this much. Just how useful is the trackir in Arma? I'm pretty much just a standard rear end infantryman but I have a soft spot for aviation and would fly more if I could actually have some kind of spacial awareness outside my cockpit.
If money's an issue then definitely consider the FaceTrackNoIR and FreeTrack alternatives first.

RocketSurgeon
Mar 2, 2008
I got Freetrack to work absolutely fantastic for something like 15 bucks total and it does everything that track ir seems to advertise. You just need a cheapo webcam, some IR LED's, a hat and some soldering gear.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
The PS3 Eye is recommended as well, though you may well have to open it up to cover a sensor in something such as exposed film negative to force it to only see infrared, whereas the Wii Remote is "IR only" in the first place... although this "review" on the FreeTrack forums purports that the PS3 Eye has a higher frame rate and resolution to make for a quality difference. (The third reply however says that an unmodified PS3 Eye can work as well.)

Here's a video of purported FreeTrack use with a Wii Remote.

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

Chortles posted:

The PS3 Eye is recommended as well, though you may well have to open it up to cover a sensor in something such as exposed film negative to force it to only see infrared, whereas the Wii Remote is "IR only" in the first place... although this "review" on the FreeTrack forums purports that the PS3 Eye has a higher frame rate and resolution to make for a quality difference. (The third reply however says that an unmodified PS3 Eye can work as well.)

Here's a video of purported FreeTrack use with a Wii Remote.

It can be a bitch to find a PS3 Eye that is the "old" model that was moddable. At least I haven't found a single one that I could verify from pictures that it was the correct model to use.

Edit: That is if you need the mod.

MrOnBicycle fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 3, 2013

Vadoc
Dec 31, 2007

Guess who made waffles...

I've been meaning to get TrackIR eventually, but kept putting it off. I don't have too many sim games, but it would come in handy for DayZ, Arma 3, and MWO. I did get a Sennheiser PC 360 headset..oh god they're so comfortable, I find myself wearing them without even listening to anything, it was worth the cost.

There's also more Goons in ShackTac than I thought there was..

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf
I wouldn't spend $150 on a TrackIR when you can spend $20 on parts at RadioShack and build an IR headset for use with FaceTrackNoIR, especially with the Occulus Rift on the horizon. That seems to be the next big "thing", so I would bet you will see much more game compatibility with the Occulus than with TrackIR. And I don't doubt that people will attempt to add support for the Occulus inside FaceTrackNoIR, which would allow you to use it in any game that supports the TrackIR/FreeTrack protocols.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

Nalin posted:

I wouldn't spend $150 on a TrackIR when you can spend $20 on parts at RadioShack and build an IR headset for use with FaceTrackNoIR, especially with the Occulus Rift on the horizon. That seems to be the next big "thing", so I would bet you will see much more game compatibility with the Occulus than with TrackIR. And I don't doubt that people will attempt to add support for the Occulus inside FaceTrackNoIR, which would allow you to use it in any game that supports the TrackIR/FreeTrack protocols.

Game support for the Oculus Rift requires modifying an engine's renderer to generate stereoscopic 3D, while TrackIR just requires a hook to adjust the camera angle/position, which is dramatically easier to implement, so I wouldn't be so certain about compatibility. That said, the Oculus Rift seems to be getting a lot more press, and it's possible they'll release their motion tracking hardware, which is both better than TrackIR's and likely to be much cheaper, as a standalone device which could well drive NaturalPoint out of the market entirely, a move many developers might welcome with the way NaturalPoint's been piling on gratuitous incompatibility via DRM.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
And it's not just stereoscopic 3D. You also have to make your game compensate for the distortion caused by the lenses used in the Rift. It's probably not hard to do, but it is specific to the device.

maqzek
Dec 21, 2012

Ralith posted:

Game support for the Oculus Rift requires modifying an engine's renderer to generate stereoscopic 3D, while TrackIR just requires a hook to adjust the camera angle/position, which is dramatically easier to implement, so I wouldn't be so certain about compatibility. That said, the Oculus Rift seems to be getting a lot more press, and it's possible they'll release their motion tracking hardware, which is both better than TrackIR's and likely to be much cheaper, as a standalone device which could well drive NaturalPoint out of the market entirely, a move many developers might welcome with the way NaturalPoint's been piling on gratuitous incompatibility via DRM.

I wonder if you could skip 3D by just rendering same view for both eyes or something, so you could just get TrackIR functionality without too much hassle/support.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
For anyone running dev builds, it looks like the EBR is set to be a 7.62 x 51 mm NATO weapon after all (instead of 7.62 x 45 mm Czech) while the MXM is going to be in 6.5 mm NATO caseless just like the other MX rifles complete with using the same magazines. Unfortunately the EBR magazines' classname is still "20Rnd_762x45_mag" while the MXM is still using the Sound Suppressor (7.62 mm) and has been for the past two or three dev builds...

At least the BLUFOR Marksman's loadout was fixed, until recently he was still carrying the now EBR-only magazines, leaving him without any ammo for the MXM.

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
E; wrong thread, never mind.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Question about the Arma 3 Alpha Lite; are key rebounding a restricted? I've tried remapping my tactical view to a bunch of different keys and it never triggers it.

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005
I'm sure they are not in demand but if anyone wants a lite key, hit me up.

What is everyone doing in the Alpha? The OP looks like a mix of ARMA3 and 2 information and I haven't played with ARMA goons since the merger with that pubby group so I'm behind the times. Is there currently anything better that playing wasteland by laying in a building with a pistol/getting lost in the woods?

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Jimb posted:

I'm sure they are not in demand but if anyone wants a lite key, hit me up.

What is everyone doing in the Alpha? The OP looks like a mix of ARMA3 and 2 information and I haven't played with ARMA goons since the merger with that pubby group so I'm behind the times. Is there currently anything better that playing wasteland by laying in a building with a pistol/getting lost in the woods?

Everything in the OP is pretty current, if you want to point out what isn't go ahead and I'll fix it.

Jimb
Feb 14, 2005

Mederlock posted:

Everything in the OP is pretty current, if you want to point out what isn't go ahead and I'll fix it.

I swear I saw the old TS info in there but it was my mistake. I was also searching old PGS threads looking for one and confused them.

I take it there isn't a central voip server we are using yet? Also, is there a way to retrieve the actual key from a steam gift, I will gladly slap them in the spreadsheet.

Gibfender
Apr 15, 2007

Electricity In Our Homes
Did anyone else just have to download a 900MB patch? Is there a changelog?

(Dev build)

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?149636-Development-branch-changelog/page2

This is all I can find changelog-wise.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Cold War Rearmed 2 just got a gigantic update the other day, and one of the things they finished is the full campaign from the Operation Flashpoint: Resistance expansion pack. Check it out here http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?152275-Cold-War-Rearmed%C2%B2-Public-Beta

GateheaD
Sep 27, 2005

Gatorade me bitch
I've noticed if i change key binding to lower the heli from Z to E on my helicopter it nosedives.
what is the default action on E that causes my helicopter to nosedive like I'm holding down W?

Edit: Anyone found a custom mission for practicing sniping at long ranges?
once we're over 600m I'm terrible

GateheaD fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Apr 10, 2013

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

GateheaD posted:

Edit: Anyone found a custom mission for practicing sniping at long ranges?
once we're over 600m I'm terrible

This is the sort of simple experimentation that the editor makes really easy, even for a novice. Just open it up, double click somewhere to create a marksman that you'll play as, then double click somewhere >600m away to create an enemy (or use the group tool to create predefined enemy squads all at once). Finally, click "Preview" and you'll be dropped right in.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
Note that as of dev build 0.53.103923 there's a number of still unresolved issues (MXM still uses 7.62 mm suppressor despite being rechambered to 6.5 mm STANAG caseless) and some new issues, plus it seems like the movement speed nerf finally happened (Vespa had previously declared a sprint nerf but it seems like jog and tactical pace also got nerfed) although thankfully weapon handling/aiming speed seems unaffected... but now in addition to unsighted right-side urban prone there's also left and right laying-on-side which both allow aiming through the sight, using Ctrl+A or Ctrl+D from prone; unfortunately due to how Arma 3's animations work, swapping weapons will temporarily force the character into normal prone during the transition animation and you have to return to the desired stance variant.

Oh, and the ol' "reclining with a handgun" has been replaced with a forward-leaning sit, quick to enter from the kneel but slow to enter from prone. RIP Laying On Beach Chairs In Arma 3 :(

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?
Good news about the movement speed. Looked ridiculous when sprinting.

Baytor
Oct 4, 2010

Well, never mind! Commando missions are much more fun than girls anyway!

Chortles posted:

Note that as of dev build 0.53.103923 there's a number of still unresolved issues (MXM still uses 7.62 mm suppressor despite being rechambered to 6.5 mm STANAG caseless) and some new issues, plus it seems like the movement speed nerf finally happened (Vespa had previously declared a sprint nerf but it seems like jog and tactical pace also got nerfed) although thankfully weapon handling/aiming speed seems unaffected... but now in addition to unsighted right-side urban prone there's also left and right laying-on-side which both allow aiming through the sight, using Ctrl+A or Ctrl+D from prone; unfortunately due to how Arma 3's animations work, swapping weapons will temporarily force the character into normal prone during the transition animation and you have to return to the desired stance variant.

Oh, and the ol' "reclining with a handgun" has been replaced with a forward-leaning sit, quick to enter from the kneel but slow to enter from prone. RIP Laying On Beach Chairs In Arma 3 :(

There's also a new standing and kneeling animation for leaning to the left with a long weapon. Instead of sticking your entire top half out of cover, now you switch to your other shoulder and just poke your head and your gat out. No doubt ACE will have a script to simulate hot brass getting flung down your shirt :v:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
The movement nerf seems to be in the beta build, too? Because whenever I move uphill, my soldier character starts huffing and puffing like a geriatric pretty quickly.

Fred Dawes
May 10, 2009

Baytor posted:

No doubt ACE will have a script to simulate hot brass getting flung down your shirt :v:

Good thing most of these guns are caseless :smuggo:

I've been getting crashes/freezes whenever I am flying a heli and using my map a bunch. Hope this gets addressed sooner than later.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

The movement nerf seems to be in the beta build, too? Because whenever I move uphill, my soldier character starts huffing and puffing like a geriatric pretty quickly.

I'm not sure if my game is bugged but my character is quite literally always out of breath. It might have something to do with the fact that my default glasses are diving goggles even though taking them off does seemingly nothing.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Hrm. Coincidentally, after reinstalling everything, the first new profile I made, I've added diving goggles for shits and giggles.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

Development build is the "beta" build, infantry movement and stance adjust got nerfed hard despite the adding of lay-on-side.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 11, 2013

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I can and shall obey

Combat Pretzel posted:

Hrm. Coincidentally, after reinstalling everything, the first new profile I made, I've added diving goggles for shits and giggles.

To the disappointment of goon dress-up aficionados everywhere, diving goggles don't display when you're on land.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Chortles posted:

Now I won't be able to yell "get in my guard" at my teammates while waiting for stuff to do.

Instrumedley
Aug 13, 2009
Have any more good co-op missions been made yet? Would be down to play some this weekend with some goons.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum
I'd be up for that too. Haven't played in a while because of other games but I'm feeling the need for some hardcore milsim action.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I'm always up for some goon co-op but I haven't seen anyone on mumble lately.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

ArmA3's damage model is hosed up. I just blew up a pick-up with a NLAW, and the guy 3 meters from it survived it well enough to snipe me with good accuracy from 500 meters (several shots hitting nearly the same place).

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

I haven't tried the dev build, but speaking from experience running around and doing poo poo in real life wearing even just body armor is Really Tiring and attempting to move at a light jog across hundreds of meters to kilometers in full kit like everyone does in ARMA would smoke the piss out of you. Not trying to be a milsperg or anything but if they're going to simulate equipment weight affecting stamina they might as well go whole hog.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
The problem is that it seems that they have yet to have it simulating the benefits of going light, i.e. in movement speed and not just duration...

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
The other problem is it will be loving boring in a game that often has you running kilometres in missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
In fairness, blame whoever made the missions that way instead of continually having transportation available (read: :spergin: for whom slowing down character movement is their idea of making the island feel bigger by taking longer to traverse on foot).