Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

All through the day, I me mine
:siren:If you are interested in custom DLC, do NOT buy the Games On Demand version of Rock Band 3. DO NOT buy the Mad Catz edition of the disc either. Customs are permanently disabled in these versions.:siren:

:siren:If you were referred to this post for making karaoke-style booklets directly from your Xbox's Rock Band Song Cache file, scroll to the bottom of this post.:siren:

:siren:All the programs we know about for moving custom files onto an Xbox formatted drive (like USBXTAFGUI and Party Buffalo) have a bug where it will fail to move files if you go over 256. Work around this by bundling songs together with C3 CON Tools (google it). A bundle can contain many songs, but only counts as one file.:siren:

Dust off those USB drives, it’s the 2013 edition of the Rock Band thread.
First, a quick refresher on where we’ve gotten after all these years, then an FAQ for all the modern Rock Band questions that Harmonix would decline to answer anyway.

This is our old friend Rock Band 3. It doesn’t receive patches or DLC anymore. Just like a real Fender, Rock Band 3 needs mods if it’s expected to live longer than five years.

Why should I get this game? Your parties will never be the same.

This is Rock Band Blitz. It’s a button-mashing musical plate-spinning simulator. It’s a very fun game and we suggest you pick it up. It works with all the old Rock Band DLC and exported games, plus, the 25 (pretty good) songs it comes with get transferred into Rock Band 3 for free and you can play them all in either game. You don’t use instrument controllers to play Rock Band Blitz.

Why should I get this game? It works with all the Rock Band DLC and it's an entirely new style of game that is surprisingly addictive.

In 2009 the planets aligned and the Gods of Content Licensing were in a giving mood and The Beatles: Rock Band was released. It’s a side-game to the series in which the characters on-screen are the actual Beatles instead of generic rock goofs or custom characters. You get to re-enact real, lifelike Beatle venues ranging from the set of the Ed Sullivan show, to a recording studio in 1966, to a recording studio in 1967, to a recording studio in 1968.......
In all seriousness though, this game is enormously impressive both with its gameplay and authentic feel. Given how the game can be picked up for dirt cheap these days, there is no excuse not to get it. It comes with 45 songs, and you can also buy the entireity of Abbey Road, Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band, and Rubber Soul to expand your library to somewhere around 100+ Beatles songs. There is no excuse not to do this.
You can’t export the Beatles game. All its songs are exclusive to the Beatles software because lawyers.

Why should I get this game? You would be doing a disservice to digital artists the world over by passing on this game.

Australia's favorite rock group meets Australia's least-favorite video game series! It’s one of AC/DC's live albums as a playable Rock Band pack. Unfortunately you can’t buy it as DLC, you have to track down a disc and export it. Because of the band's wonky retail restrictions, the game is hard to find sometimes. Your sure bet is always Amazon.

Why should I get this game? The most hilariously long Big Rock Ending in the entire Rock Band catalog.

Green Day also got a game. This one's more like the Beatles game. You play as Bob, Joe, and Walter as they embark on their illustrious career as punk group Green Day, playing landmark gigs like a warehouse.
Unlike the Beatles game, every song in Green Day: Rock Band can be exported into the main RB game, as can all its Green Day DLC.

Why should I get this game? If you like 40-year-olds who say they are punks while appearing in licensed motion-captured video games. This is just the offering for you. Because this game got a re-release with the DLC packed in though, it's still woefully overpriced compared to other Rock Band games.

Lego Rock Band is the feel-good, publisher-mandated offering from Harmonix to make a child-friendly version of Rock Band. All of its songs can export into the main series.

Why should I get this game? The song list is stunning and full of must-haves. Ghostbusters and The Final Countdown, anyone?

:guitar: FAQ :guitar:

Where do I get these games?
:siren:Stop!:siren: Unless you already have a nice collection of instruments and older games, you should avoid buying the standalone game disc or digital version of Rock Band 3. There are tons of different bundles out there that come with different games and packed-in controllers. You can strategically buy these to get yourself several different games and many/all the different controllers for less than half the price of buying them all alone.
Beatles Rock Band Premium Bundle Consider this an all-instruments bundle that comes with The Beatles game as a bonus. The cheapest way to get an in-box drumset controller. The only way to get a Paul McCartney Hofner bass controller. Also comes with a mic and a microphone stand. And some postcards because why not.
Rock Band 3 with Keyboard controller Rock Band 3 disc and the Keyboard controller for crazy cheap. Buy this with the bundle above and you'll have every instrument (of the highest quality build) and the two best games of the series.
Rock Band 3 with a guitar. Expensive on its own due to the demand for guitars these days. :(
Rock Band 3 with a Pro Guitar So drat cheap due to the lack of demand for Pro Guitars.

Where can I get controllers on their own?
Controllers are becoming increasingly difficult to find and likewise increasingly expensive. Many direct retailers are now charging outrageous prices for them since they are a discontinued peripheral for a years-old series. The safest but most expensive way to buy controllers is via Amazon. The unreliable but cheap-as-dirt way is to hit up your local Goodwill or whatever second-hand store your country has. They usually have stacks of plastic guitars for only a couple bucks each, and maybe even a drum set. If Goodwill isn't your thing, try the local craigslist. There is always somebody desperately selling their entire collection of Rock Band instruments at a ludicrously low price to make their next month's rent or get a meth fix. Drumsets are most easily attained via the Craigslist method, as they almost never appear in second-hand stores, and online shops charge a ton for them these days. Microphones are easy to find; you can use pretty much any USB microphone. It doesn't matter if it's branded Guitar Hero or Rock Band or Logitech or Nintendo. Pretty much and old USB mic works.
Go to a Goodwill store located in/near a rich neighborhood:

Look at that. Nine guitar controllers and a brand new kick pedal. Even still in the plastic wrap.

The keyboard and Pro Guitar are exempt from these methods, since they have been around for many fewer years. You'll never find them in a second-hand store, and rarely on craigslist. Your best bet is Amazon. Ironically, these newer premium instruments are cheaper than the other instruments because they were never that popular and there's a huge stock of them left over.

If you're a fancy-pants musician who already has their own digital drumset and/or keyboard, you can buy the Rock Band 3 MIDI Pro Adapter to use your real instruments in the game via MIDI.

Help I ran out of USB ports.
With any combination of 3-part harmony microphones, possibly wired instruments, and plugging external drives for mods, it's easy to run out of USB drives. Just about any old USB hub will work with your console, thus enabling more ports. I would suggest NOT plugging any external drives into hubs though. Save a direct port on the console for them.

How do I "export" games like you're saying?
Exporting is a feature available on almost all Rock Band games. It is NOT installing the game on your hard drive like the Xbox supports. Exporting a game saves a copy of that game's songs on your hard drive in a format that other Rock Band games can read. This way, you don't have to switch discs to play all your songs. This usually requires a new copy of the game you want to export and costs money. Due to licensing restrictions, a few of the songs aren't exportable.
Rock Band 1- Doesn't require a new game. You can borrow a friend's ancient copy or find a used one for 99 cents. To export it you need to be online to patch the game, then pay a $5 fee to save the songs onto your hard drive. Now the songs will work in all other Rock Band games and you don't need the disc ever again!
Rock Band 2- You need the special code printed on the rear of the game manual. This code can only be used once, so used copies of the game might have been redeemed already. You might get lucky though. To export the songlist go into Rock Band 3 and in the "Get more songs" menu find the redeem code feature. Enter the code and you'll be given the ability to export Rock Band 2 into Rock Band 3. This will cost $10. The Rock Band 2 bonus songs aren't in the export. You can download them for free in the music store. It's called the Rock Band Free Pack.
Lego Rock Band- You can export Lego Rock Band the same way as Rock band 2, by entering the store in Rock Band 3 and using the redeem code feature. It costs $10.
:siren: Warning, Lego Rock Band has its own export feature that predates Rock Band 3, but it requires a buggy website and multiple code redemptions and causes lots of grief and calls to tech support. Do not try to use it. :siren:
AC/DC- I believe this one exports for free as long as you have the manual code!
Green Day: Rock Band- Same method as Rock Band 2 and Lego Rock Band, costs $10. If you buy the "Plus" version that comes with all the DLC built in, I believe it exports for free, so there's a cost-benefit judgement for you to make depending on how much you want to spend on Green Day.
Rock Band 3- Rock Band 3 doesn't export; it's the last Rock Band game, there's nothing to export it to. :v:
The Beatles: Rock Band- http://tinyurl.com/pe9r7

CUSTOM DLC
:siren:YOU NEED A FIRST EDITION ROCK BAND 3 DISK IN ORDER TO PLAY CUSTOMS. THE GAMES-ON-DEMAND VERSION WILL NOT WORK. THE MAD CATZ DISK WILL NOT WORK. THE CORRECT EDITION HAS AN "MTV GAMES" LOGO ON THE BOX AND DISK.:siren:

How do I get started on customizing my Rock Band 3 song list?
This video tells you all you need to know. Basically you need a USB drive big enough to hold all the custom content, and Update #4 for Rock Band 3. Place everything in the correct folders and Rock Band 3 will automatically recognize and read the content on the USB drive, no need to transfer anything! Make sure you don't have Update #5 for Rock Band 3 on your hard drive, and be sure to decline the update if prompted when starting the game. We use Update #4 and decline update #5 because update #5 disabled customs.

Something went wrong.
Go into your Rock Band 3 save files and delete the Rock Band 3 Song Cache. That sometimes clears up confusion if your game is having trouble finding/loading custom content.

How do people make custom DLC?
[A link to the authoring wiki should be here but HMX's servers are still down] :downs:
Harmonix released the development tools publically a couple years ago. You need a midi editor to create the note charts and an audio editor to make everything shiny and pretty, and Harmonix' own program, "Magma" to compile it into a playable session file, and then a program called "RB3Maker" to convert the session file into a .con that you can transfer to your USB drive and play in the game.

Most customs do NOT have interactive sounds. That means, players making mistakes, dropping out, playing drum fills, using sound effects like wah-wah or muting the vocals track won't have any effect in-game. Some high-effort customs authors go the extra mile and try to track down the master track from the original artist, or use sohpisticated editing software to extract each instrument into its own track, so the songs are truly interactive. This almost never happens, but the fun value of a song depends a lot more on if the note chart is any good rather than if the audio is interactive.

Where can I download custom DLC?
I'm not posting that one thing until a mod or something says it's ok. In the meantime you could peruse the software board of Scorehero.

I have a PS3 and
Ouch man
Edit: After a year or so of us making fun of you PS3 owners, somebody managed to engineer customs for PS3. The downside is your console has to be jailbroken/JTAG'd, and we can't discuss it here. However, it IS possible, you just need to google it.
C3 songs are being converted to PS3 format frequently, but don't expect 100% availability off the bat.

Contact
I'm training in audio engineering and I've made RB3 customs before. If you have more technical or derail-y questions, consider reaching me directly:
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198011269859
Alternatively my Skype is orange.harrison
My gamertag if you want someone to beat all your Blitz scores is ORANGE HARRlSON (with a lower-case "L" standing in for "I")

:guitar:Making song list booklets (for parties) from your Xbox's internal song cache file:guitar:

pksage posted:

You actually have two options these days for song booklet printing from cache.

1) My tool, the original. Exports to CSV or XLS for you to format as you like in Excel (which, IMO, is pretty good). http://pksage.com/ccc/cache2csv.php

2) The C3 CON Tools (formerly Le Fluffie for RB3) now include a booklet printer as well, with some built-in aesthetic options. I think it produces PDFs directly? I'm not sure. TrojanNemo made it to his specifications, but I think it can also do CSV. For this, just download the newest C3 CON Tools from the C3 site.

Auto-generating a songlist from cache is loving awesome. Every bit as good as I was hoping it'd be.

Orange Harrison fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.
I fixed the Firefox flickering issue in that one thing we're not linking to!

Speaking of That Thing, progress is still being made. Hopefully it'll be up this afternoon or evening (EST).

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
The rest of the RB songs released in 2007 are safe and won't be removed from the online stores. :toot:
They are working on re-licensing songs released in 2008 right now.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

pksage posted:

I fixed the Firefox flickering issue in that one thing we're not linking to!

Speaking of That Thing, progress is still being made. Hopefully it'll be up this afternoon or evening (EST).

That is great news. I look forward to The Thing when I get home tonight!

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

It would be considerate for them to announce the songs that can't be saved before they are removed from the store.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Orange Harrison posted:

It would be considerate for them to announce the songs that can't be saved before they are removed from the store.

They said they're going to try to do that in the future when possible.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Added some contact information to the OP, since some people are still custom-curious and the last thread was answering the same technical questions every other page.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I think it's funny that people have been requesting more Metallica forever, and now they're essentially putting out negative new Metallica songs.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

@RockBand posted:

Miss out on our RB swag at PAX? Pick it up from our new store! Use the code HARMONIX for free shipping before 4/16! https://harmonix.spreadshirt.com

Now I'm gazing longingly at that Road Crew zip-up hoodie even though I have the Road Crew zip-up jacket...bastards :argh:

G20 Sumbitch
Sep 29, 2007

Happy Hockey Is The Best!!!
Love the new OP! Hopefully this will answer most questions we keep seeing.
Maybe a gamertag list somewhere? Please add cracktackle for beating (non-pro)drumscores. Although I might not be online any time soon because of title update issues :)

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Goon brethren! That One Thing, possibly known as The Thing That Shall Not Be Linked, is now back up. The database part, anyway; the rest of the team is editing posts on other forums and the rest of the official-announcement stuff.

We have a bunch of cool songs in the pipe, so hopefully we'll be able to talk about it in this thread. v:shobon:v If you have any recommendations for the song database, please let me know!

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
Anyone know of a way to get custom songs in the Wii version of Rock Band 3?

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

There is an SD card method to play custom songs in Rock Band 2. I don't know if an RB3 solution was ever cooked up.

The T
May 29, 2010

A sufficiently chaotic system is maximally fair.

pksage posted:

Goon brethren! That One Thing, possibly known as The Thing That Shall Not Be Linked, is now back up. The database part, anyway; the rest of the team is editing posts on other forums and the rest of the official-announcement stuff.

We have a bunch of cool songs in the pipe, so hopefully we'll be able to talk about it in this thread. v:shobon:v If you have any recommendations for the song database, please let me know!

They're mentioned in the Announcement post, the extra Beatles: Rock Band exports, but they don't appear to be on the database yet. Are they just still waiting in the wings, or are they only going to be listed on that-other-site-that-has-Rock-Band-custom-stuff-but-also-has-:filez:?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I just bought a couple of songs songs from the actual Rock Band store, then rebooted with my "customs" USB stick. It did a full cache rebuild when I got to the main menu - is this a normal occurrence after buying DLC, or is there something somewhere else that I did wrong?

bpc908
Jan 27, 2013

Kacho of My own little gaming world
I'm hoping someone goes off and charts some Traveling Wilburys and some George Harrison and Ringo Starr. I mean we've gotten the other two beatles in Rock Band, Why was there no love for George and Ringo?

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
Great OP! Here's a question I already know the answer to, but somebody, someday, will ask it so we might as well put it in there somewhere: what songs can we not play in RB3 that we could before? IE what songs were available before that aren't now?

Minidust posted:

I just bought a couple of songs songs from the actual Rock Band store, then rebooted with my "customs" USB stick. It did a full cache rebuild when I got to the main menu - is this a normal occurrence after buying DLC, or is there something somewhere else that I did wrong?

Yes, this is perfectly normal. Or at least, every time I've ever bought more DLC, then used my customs, it would rebuild the entire cache.

Funny trivia: for some bizarre reason, Enter Sandman will work with TU5, even though there's no way to actually get it for RB3.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Funny trivia: for some bizarre reason, Enter Sandman will work with TU5, even though there's no way to actually get it for RB3.

Really? What exactly did you do? I want to look at Enter Sandman's .dat now. There might be a flag in there that people can set to get their customs working with TU5. A customs Holy Grail, if you will.
While we are talking about special song flags, I've been searching and searching for the flag that forces songs to use the music video venue. I know it exists because a number of the Hendrix songs have it (forces the music video with 60's psychedelic background). There's basically a ton of flags and values that aren't detailed in the RBN authoring docs because they require .dat editing. I'm working on a list to help people make customs that integrate with RB3 better.

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Orange Harrison posted:

Really? What exactly did you do?

Nothing special. I used the version GHtoRB3 have posted in their google docs, found those guys about a week before TU5 hit, so I had all my customs on my HDD (thank god I had the foresight to move my save file before I did anything custom related whatsoever), and after the update hit I noticed all the customs were still being displayed even though I'd downloaded the update. Wondering if it actually did block customs or not, I played Enter Sandman, and it worked just fine, even uploaded the score to Rock Central. Then I tried Hotel California which triggered the disc read error. Rumours confirmed, I let those guys know about it then deleted my customs until I bought a second USB.

The End. :v:

The T
May 29, 2010

I had heard about this and assumed it was something in the disc; that it just knew certain songs had been licensed in the past, even if there was no way for them to export.

I don't know how this makes sense in a data way/how it could confirm that it's right besides a really dumb name check system, but.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

pksage posted:

I recommend you keep kicking rear end.

And give the GH to RB3 guys a medal.

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

And give the GH to RB3 guys a medal.

I tried "Old Time Rock n Roll"
Every energy phrase is a unison bonus and they forgot to author energy phrases for Keys. :|
E: Everything else is top notch though, I hope quality control catches more of these minor mistakes before they sneak through though.

Stage Beans
May 16, 2007

i've spent all day messing with some gh converts, and they have been an absolute blast! before i grab more customs or start digging around in the harmonies project, i've got an issue to troubleshoot: i completed a license transfer when i switched to a slim, but all of my HMX DLC that was originally downloaded to my first xbox is non-functioning when my TU4 drive is in. my TU5 drive plays them fine, but is there a way to unite my unofficial additions with my existing DLC library?

edit: wow it's the oldest trick in the book, i just have to re-download all my pre-transfer DLC.

Stage Beans fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Apr 10, 2013

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.
Aw, I know your Lego Rock Band bit was kind of a joke, but I was rather pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed the set list. I consider it pretty solid. I don't know that I'd suggest playing the game, unless you're a trophy/achievement fiend...or love adorable lego games.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

The best thing about Lego Rock Band is Lego Iggy Pop. Nothing says family-friendly entertainment like the guy who's done all the drugs, writes songs such as "Cock In My Pocket" and regularly performs them with no pants on.

Having The Passenger on the setlist is really cool too and it's the main reason I got Lego Rock Band.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

Orange Harrison posted:

Really? What exactly did you do? I want to look at Enter Sandman's .dat now. There might be a flag in there that people can set to get their customs working with TU5. A customs Holy Grail, if you will.
While we are talking about special song flags, I've been searching and searching for the flag that forces songs to use the music video venue. I know it exists because a number of the Hendrix songs have it (forces the music video with 60's psychedelic background). There's basically a ton of flags and values that aren't detailed in the RBN authoring docs because they require .dat editing. I'm working on a list to help people make customs that integrate with RB3 better.

If you can figure out how to force-disable that, you'd be a god. I have a friend who literally gets vertigo during those and has to sit out any song that randomly comes up with the music video background.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Quinctia posted:

Aw, I know your Lego Rock Band bit was kind of a joke, but I was rather pleasantly surprised with how much I enjoyed the set list. I consider it pretty solid. I don't know that I'd suggest playing the game, unless you're a trophy/achievement fiend...or love adorable lego games.

I don't think he was joking. Lego Rock Band's setlist is pretty goofy but that's its charm. It has some of the best "party songs" of all of the games and that's really what we all play rock band for.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Man, I just found out they were stopping the official weekly DLC :smith: I waited outside a Best Buy at midnight for the original and have stuck to it since.

Goodnight and rock on, you beautiful bastard you.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

The T posted:

They're mentioned in the Announcement post, the extra Beatles: Rock Band exports, but they don't appear to be on the database yet.

We had debated whether to include them or not, and decided on "what the hell, let's do it" -- but a little late for me to include them in the DB for launch day. We're gonna have a big TBRB push this Friday (4/12).

SatansBestBuddy posted:

what songs can we not play in RB3 that we could before? IE what songs were available before that aren't now?

Pretty sure, but not entirely sure, on these:

Songs that were pulled or never formally released, but still play if you have them
Metallica - Blackened
Metallica - ...And Justice For All
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Airbourne - Runnin' Wild
Snoop Dogg - Snoop's Upside Ya Head
Miley Cyrus - Party in the U.S.A.
(a bunch of RBN songs)

Songs that will not play in RB3 even if you own them
Die Toten Hosen - Hier Kommt Alex
Oasis - Rock 'n' Roll Star

Songs that don't export to RB3
Metallica - Enter Sandman
Black Sabbath - Paranoid (cover)
Iron Maiden - Run to the Hills (cover)
Journey - Any Way You Want It
Metallica - Battery
AC/DC - Let There Be Rock

Orange Harrison posted:

I tried "Old Time Rock n Roll"
Every energy phrase is a unison bonus and they forgot to author energy phrases for Keys. :|
E: Everything else is top notch though, I hope quality control catches more of these minor mistakes before they sneak through though.

We don't really have "quality control", unfortunately. The downside of a customs-based project. The upshot, though, is that we can and will release updates for songs with bigass bugs like that. Very soon, the site will have a "Report Song Issue" form that you can use to bitch at us about problems in songs.

pksage fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Apr 10, 2013

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I've noticed a few customs that technically work, but display no album art or difficulty ratings in the menu. And the audio sample usually starts after a long delay, and always from the very beginning of the song. In the examples I've noticed, the name format is different when viewed in the Xbox storage settings ("Artist -- Title", instead of "Title" or Artist - Title without quotes). Is this a specific bug, or just the author leaving stuff out?

For reference, I've seen this in "Brothers In Arms" by Dire Straits and a handful of NIN customs.

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!

Minidust posted:

Is this a specific bug, or just the author leaving stuff out?

Almost certainly the latter.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

pksage posted:

Pretty sure, but not entirely sure, on these:

Songs that were pulled or never formally released, but still play if you have them
Metallica - Blackened
Metallica - ...And Justice For All
Metallica - Ride the Lightning
Airbourne - Runnin' Wild
Snoop Dogg - Snoop's Upside Ya Head
Miley Cyrus - Party in the U.S.A.
(a bunch of RBN songs)

Songs that will not play in RB3 even if you own them
Die Toten Hosen - Hier Kommt Alex
Oasis - Rock 'n' Roll Star

Songs that don't export to RB3
Metallica - Enter Sandman
Black Sabbath - Paranoid (cover)
Iron Maiden - Run to the Hills (cover)
Journey - Any Way You Want It
Metallica - Battery
AC/DC - Let There Be Rock

2 things:
Party in the USA was never actually released, it was included but blocked out in the first release of the Miley Cyrus pack (it didn't include license flag or something and just didn't display it in the song list iirc), so it couldn't be played until your Xbox was modded, which ignores the license flag. They replaced it with a fixed pack later that day I think, that just removed the actual song data.

Dani California and Black Hole Sun are unplayable in RB3 unless you have TU5, they won't work on retail or TU1-4.

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

The best thing about Lego Rock Band is Lego Iggy Pop. Nothing says family-friendly entertainment like the guy who's done all the drugs, writes songs such as "Cock In My Pocket" and regularly performs them with no pants on.

Having The Passenger on the setlist is really cool too and it's the main reason I got Lego Rock Band.

My favorite thing about Lego Rock Band was playing heavy metal in a haunted house with a band consist of a werewolf, skeleton, mummy, and Iggy Pop.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Kaboobi posted:

2 things:
Party in the USA was never actually released, it was included but blocked out in the first release of the Miley Cyrus pack (it didn't include license flag or something and just didn't display it in the song list iirc), so it couldn't be played until your Xbox was modded, which ignores the license flag. They replaced it with a fixed pack later that day I think, that just removed the actual song data.

Dani California and Black Hole Sun are unplayable in RB3 unless you have TU5, they won't work on retail or TU1-4.
Interesting, I forgot all about TU5 re-adding those songs. Now I'm curious about previously playable songs. Is there a group like GHtoRB3 that focuses on those? An "RB3toRB3" project, I guess?:v:

btw, what were the changes included in Title Updates 1-4? I've been curious as to whether I'm correctly playing with TU4, or just a completely unpatched version of the game.

pksage posted:

Almost certainly the latter.
Ah, I figured.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

TU1 was put out a day or two before release, I'm not sure what it fixed!

TU2 came out a month or so later and fixed the roadie amp crash bug: http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=210000&page=1

quote:

There is a plan to release another update in the near future to address numerous other items, but these were the most pressing issues that we wanted to target as quickly as possible.

• Arena 12 Freeze (aka The Roadie Amp Loading Screen of Death) – If the amp loading vignette occurred immediately prior to an especially resource heavy venue it had the potential to cause a freeze. Your band should now be able to load their gear uninterrupted.

• Save Data Affected By Especially Long Band Names – Custom / Random Setlists specific to artists with especially long names (most notably Stevie Ray Vaughan and Double Trouble, Honest Bob and the Factory to Dealer Incentives, The Presidents of the United States of America, etc) that were not completed before playing through to the next auto save could result in corrupted save data.

• Iron Man Eyebrow Freeze in Character Creator – The Character Creator would sometimes seize up when reselecting the default eyebrow for the Iron Man pre set face. All eyebrows are now safe.

• Pause Scoring Exploit – To prevent abuse of repeated pausing mid-song to pad a score, we now disable score reporting on any song in which a player repeatedly pauses. Your crowd meter should go grey and you will not be able to complete any goals or achievements tied to score during that play through.

TU3 fixed a whole bunch of poo poo: http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214418&page=1

quote:

GAMEPLAY CHANGES

The audio distortion (also referred to as a buzz, hiss, or squawk) that some PS3 Keyboard players experienced has been addressed.
For users experiencing trouble deploying Vocal Overdrive in certain audio setups, OD can now be deployed using the Back button on the controller. NOTE: this only works while in a valid Overdrive deploy section.
Overdrive can now be deployed using a Pedal with both the Mustang Pro Guitar and the Keyboard peripherals.
Scoring is disabled after a song has been paused multiple times (this prevent players from artificially inflating scores using the pause function).
The translucency of the track surface has been adjusted to make note gems are easier to see against the venue backgrounds.
Based on fan feedback, limited functionality for the Stage kit has been added to Rock Band 3. Please note that this 3rd-party peripheral is no longer officially supported, so we cannot guarantee full functionality with every file format (RB3, Pro-DLC), but basic functions should be reenabled.

ONLINE CHANGES

PS3 Voice Chat not properly working with headsets has been remedied.
Audio no longer distorts for remote players when whammying sustains in an online session.
To prevent blank tracks from appearing in online multiplayer, all members in an online multiplayer band must own the Pro upgrades to play a song with DLC pro upgrades.

MUSIC LIBRARY AND STORE CHANGES

Pro Guitar songs now sort themselves into the correct difficulty tiers.
Pro upgrade availability will now be more accurately reflected in the Music Store.

The following songs are now correctly appearing in the Music Library.

Anvil - 666
Anvil - Metal on Metal
Anvil - This is Thirteen
Dinosaur Jr - Pick Me Up
Dinosaur Jr - The Wagon
Guess Who, The - Hand Me Down World
Guess Who, The - No Time
Tenacious D - Rock Your Socks
Avenged Sevenfold – Afterlife

PRACTICE MODE CHANGES

An issue that prevented holding sustain notes on keys in the trainers has been addressed
Breakneck Speed now works in Practice Mode.

CRASH FIXES

Fixed a Character Creator crash related to a particular eyebrow asset or the generation of a random character.
Fixed assorted minor crashes, as well as minor scoring and text bugs.

TU4 fixed some minor scoring issues on pro guitar between the Mustang and Squier
http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218664&page=1

TU5 disabled customs and this: http://www.rockband.com/forums/showthread.php?t=225612&page=1

quote:

While there are several legal and security tweaks going in (which we won’t be able to address specifically, but honestly shouldn’t alter your RB3 experience in any way), there are also a few changes to gameplay that address some requests and comments we’ve received from the community since the last update.

• Soundgarden’s “Black Hole Sun” and the Red Hot Chili Peppers’ “Dani California” will now be available in Rock Band 3. These were songs from the RB1 disc that were not previously available via export, but thanks to some music licensing magic you’ll be able to play these fan favorite tracks in RB3. These songs should be visible to anyone that previously imported RB1, but if you have additional questions related to export you can consult support articles here.

• We’ve corrected an issue where playing combinations of “Surfing with the Alien,” “Satch Boogie,” “The Hockey Theme” and “Caprici di Diablo” in a set list resulted in a crash.

• We’ve added an additional filter option for songs in your library. In addition to sorting by lighter rating, this new option will allow users to hide 1 Lighter rated songs that you don’t want to see in your set list, which should allow for more effective organization of the growing library of RB content.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Thank you! Seems like "back button for vocal overdrive" will be the easiest way to test this.

The T
May 29, 2010

The title update is a visible file in your Rock Band 3 360 storage thinger. Just go down to the letter R and look for "Rock Band Title Update #crumple".

Also, I have Dani California and Black Hole Sudden added to my cache through TU5, then reverted back to TU4, and they are still playable. So for those using customs it's a simple workaround.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

The T posted:

Also, I have Dani California and Black Hole Sudden added to my cache through TU5, then reverted back to TU4, and they are still playable. So for those using customs it's a simple workaround.
Oh nice. What's the method for that? Add TU5 to my "custom" stick, build the cache on the stick, delete TU5 and then rebuild cache on the same stick?

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Minidust posted:

I didn't see anyone answer this question, but I'm curious about that myself. I'm about to jump into customs along with a lot of other people, but there are still a handful of DLC songs I want to pick up eventually. Is the best way to do that to load up update 5 and buy stuff from the music store and then reboot with custom stick, or would that cause issues? Would it be better to just buy songs through the regular Live marketplace?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Harrison
Feb 24, 2010

If you're worried about that just get the free Rock Band Music Store app. Then you can still browse and buy songs without having to update RB3 or rebuild your cache on the fly.

• Locked thread