Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

Nyan Koi isn't outright bad, but it is pretty mediocre.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Mason Dixon posted:

Nyan Koi isn't outright bad, but it is pretty mediocre.

I know I watched it, but I can't remember a single drat thing about it. I keep mixing it up with Mayoi Neko Overrun. Which at least gave us this.

e: whoa that has a lot more fanservice than I remembered, so it's kind of :nws:. Still funny.

a kitten fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Apr 6, 2013

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Don't watch anime at work

Mason Dixon
Jul 28, 2001

Crimson Butterfly

a kitten posted:

I know I watched it, but I can't remember a single drat thing about it. I keep mixing it up with Mayoi Neko Overrun. Which at least gave us this.

e: whoa that has a lot more fanservice than I remembered, so it's kind of :nws:. Still funny.

Haha, I didn't even have to click the link to know it would be that scene. That's really all anyone needs to watch from that series.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
I enjoyed Nyan-koi. But I think I liked it more for the voice acting rather than the actual show.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Sonata Mused posted:

I enjoyed Nyan-koi. But I think I liked it more for the voice acting rather than the actual show.
I liked it as well, but I will watch just about anything that features Ryoko Shiraishi in a prominent role.

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...

Paracelsus posted:

I liked it as well, but I will watch just about anything that features Ryoko Shiraishi in a prominent role.

...Are you me?

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I'm looking for something psychological, with a bit of anime plot weirdness. I really like all of Satoshi Kon's stuff, and Lain is one of my favorites of all time. Is there something out there like that?

Also, I love shows that have conventional plots, but with the main character being a horrible, broken person. Is there anything outside of Evangelion that's like that?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Smoking Crow posted:

I'm looking for something psychological, with a bit of anime plot weirdness. I really like all of Satoshi Kon's stuff, and Lain is one of my favorites of all time. Is there something out there like that?

Also, I love shows that have conventional plots, but with the main character being a horrible, broken person. Is there anything outside of Evangelion that's like that?

It's not 100% in either bucket, but it sounds like you'd like Baccano.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Toshimo posted:

It's not 100% in either bucket, but it sounds like you'd like Baccano.

This is a universal statement, though.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

Smoking Crow posted:

Steins Gate?

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Smoking Crow posted:

Fate/Zero?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Also, if you want horrible and broken, Welcome to the NHK pretty much defines it. The manga's better, if you'd rather go that way.

Also, Saikano and Elfen Leid, but I'd never suggest anyone watch those unironically.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Smoking Crow posted:

I'd also like some recommendations on that, but expand / alter it slightly. I like stories where the plot may be conventional, but the / a main character is either only very reluctantly doing their job or being as much as a bastard about it as possible while still technically being the "hero" of the story. You can also recommend me a manga like that.

Examples for something like these would be AIKI (not really a spoiler) played for comedy and Shin Angyo Onshi (kind of a spoiler?) played straight.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

HenryEx posted:

I'd also like some recommendations on that, but expand / alter it slightly. I like stories where the plot may be conventional, but the / a main character is either only very reluctantly doing their job or being as much as a bastard about it as possible while still technically being the "hero" of the story. You can also recommend me a manga like that.

Examples for something like these would be AIKI (not really a spoiler) played for comedy and Shin Angyo Onshi (kind of a spoiler?) played straight.

The soldier in Senyu is pretty much the best rear end in a top hat. It's only 3 minute shorts, but it's hilarious.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

HenryEx posted:

Irresponsible Captain Tyler is about a guy who joins the military for all the wrong reasons and is basically a huge gently caress up and not taking anything seriously.

Jack B Nimble fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 10, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Smoking Crow posted:

I'll second Fate/Zero and especially Welcome to the NHK.

Mirai Nikki also qualifies, but it's as tonally and thematically different from Evangelion or Welcome to the NHK as you could get.

Redcrimson
Mar 3, 2008

Second-stage Midboss Syndrome

Smoking Crow posted:

If you haven't seen Revolutionary Girl Utena and Mawaru Penguindrum, I suggest those. If you like Lain, you should check out ABe's other works, Texhnolyze and Haibane Renmei.

Smoking Crow posted:

Black Lagoon. Not so much the main character, but basically everyone else is some kind of sociopathic lunatic.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Also, Gunslinger Girl is full of broken people, but I didn't care for it, so YMMV.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Redcrimson posted:

Black Lagoon. Not so much the main character, but basically everyone else is some kind of sociopathic lunatic.

Yeah, Black Lagoon is basically Anime Does Quentin Tarantino.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Smoking Crow posted:

If you are also looking for manga then read Shamo.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

Btooom! fits this well, but it's not that great. Mirai Nikki also turns into this (excluding the main character, mostly).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Kingnothing posted:

Btooom! fits this well, but it's not that great. Mirai Nikki also turns into this (excluding the main character, mostly).

Uhh no, not excluding him at all.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

All of these shows seem super depressing. Do you have any quirky slice of life stuff that involves romance and ridiculously happy characters? I wish I had something to compare it to, but I've already played most of my cards in my first post.

Edit: I take that back. I really like Robotics;Notes. I want one with a character as happy as Akiho.

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 11, 2013

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Smoking Crow posted:

All of these shows seem super depressing. Do you have any quirky slice of life stuff that involves romance and ridiculously happy characters? I wish I had something to compare it to, but I've already played most of my cards in my first post.

Edit: I take that back. I really like Robotics;Notes. I want one with a character as happy as Akiho.

Okay, do you want a show that just has romance and happy characters? Or you want quirkly and happy, but also with a horribly broken main character? Becuase if it's the second there is close to nothing that I can think of that would fit the bill because that character type and that style of story telling does not go together at all.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

The Black Stones posted:

Okay, do you want a show that just has romance and happy characters? Or you want quirkly and happy, but also with a horribly broken main character? Becuase if it's the second there is close to nothing that I can think of that would fit the bill because that character type and that style of story telling does not go together at all.

Says ~The Black Stones~.

To be fair, Hachi is quirky and happy most of the time, despite being incredibly broken

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Black Stones posted:

Well, the aforementioned Baccano! is super happy and quirky and also involves horribly broken people. The romance is kind of a sideline at best, though.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

The Black Stones posted:

The World God Only Knows, Skip Beat, and maybe Detroit Metal City if you substitute "happy" and "romance" with "awesome". Steins;Gate probably fits too.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Smoking Crow posted:

Nodame Cantabile.

It's cheerful and quirky. It's mostly slice of life. Both the main characters have brain problems.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

The Black Stones posted:

No. Disregard my first post entirely. I'm looking for an entirely different set of shows to get in on. No broken people. Just happiness as far as the eye can see.

vvvvv Are you joking with me? I've been told by the anime fans I know never to watch K-on. Something about creepy fans?

Smoking Crow fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Apr 11, 2013

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Smoking Crow posted:

No. Disregard my first post entirely. I'm looking for an entirely different set of shows to get in on. No broken people. Just happiness as far as the eye can see.

K-On! :rock:

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Smoking Crow posted:

Nodame Cantabile is happy, romantic, and quirky.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
The Aria series, Hidamari Sketch, Ikoku Meiro no Croisee, Kamichu, Minami-ke, and Tamayura are all things that come to mind then. The amount of romance involved varies a lot, but they're all mellow happy slice of life shows.

Smoking Crow posted:

vvvvv Are you joking with me? I've been told by the anime fans I know never to watch K-on. Something about creepy fans?

K-on! is objectively a pretty good show if you like slice of life comedy, but its success is largely to blame for the fact that we get like 4 Moe-blob "3-6 cute girls in a club doing cute things" shows a season now, so it gets a lot of poo poo for that.

Blhue fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Apr 11, 2013

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Blhue posted:

The Aria series, Hidamari Sketch

These are my absolute top picks for shows that just give me warm fuzzy feelings inside. Along the same lines, the recently finished Yama no Susume is very similar in terms of feel. I wouldn't recommend marathoning it though. As tempting as it is with the short episodes, it does work better if you take some time between each episode.

If you want a happy comedy, then I'd highly recommend Squid Girl/Ika Musume.

Blhue posted:

K-on! is objectively a pretty good show if you like slice of life comedy, but its success is largely to blame for the fact that we get like 4 Moe-blob "3-6 cute girls in a club doing cute things" shows a season now, so it gets a lot of poo poo for that.
Yeah. There's nothing inherently wrong with it, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Dreadful_Dinosaur
Feb 29, 2012

Please just close your eyes as I ruin your childhood.

Smoking Crow posted:

Seconding Utena, Black Lagoon, and Welcome to the NHK. Also, the Big O has a lot of plot weirdness and, in general, is a great show. There's also Dennou Coil, which is basically Lain but easier to understand, and Boogiepop Phantom, which I didn't care for too much but it's VERY similar to Lain at least in a stylistic sense.

e: I'm also looking for a show that is heart-wrenching and depressing. Something that's NOT Clannad, Air, or any of those other terrible shows staffed by Key. The show I'm looking for is more along the lines of Shadow Star or Now and Then, Here and there, which are two of my favourite manga and anime, respectively.

Dreadful_Dinosaur fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Apr 11, 2013

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Smoking Crow posted:

Sooo you didn't really mean broken people, you meant "lol teh random" people huh.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Dreadful_Dinosaur posted:

Seconding Utena, Black Lagoon, and Welcome to the NHK. Also, the Big O has a lot of plot weirdness and, in general, is a great show. There's also Dennou Coil, which is basically Lain but easier to understand, and Boogiepop Phantom, which I didn't care for too much but it's VERY similar to Lain at least in a stylistic sense.

e: I'm also looking for a show that is heart-wrenching and depressing. Something that's NOT Clannad, Air, or any of those other terrible shows staffed by Key. The show I'm looking for is more along the lines of Shadow Star or Now and Then, Here and there, which are two of my favourite manga and anime, respectively.

Madoka Magica?

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

AnoHana maybe; give it a couple episodes if you decide to watch, the very beginning is a little rough.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

I haven't seen it, but I've seen Grave of the Fireflies come up frequently as a depressing anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreadful_Dinosaur
Feb 29, 2012

Please just close your eyes as I ruin your childhood.

unpronounceable posted:

I haven't seen it, but I've seen Grave of the Fireflies come up frequently as a depressing anime.

Seen AnoHana, Madoka, and Grave of the Fireflies. I didn't like Anohana, but I did enjoy Madoka and Grave of the Fireflies.

• Locked thread