Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
:( I've added like 15 admins

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Any threat of admin action just seems to get a "Well, w/e bro". Had more than one game on Descent last night where one side lost a few early pushes, those who died F4'd, then spent the rest of the match complaining that it was 5v8 or something and that the game was over, etc. Well, if you leave to the loving readyroom, of course it is, rear end in a top hat. Not to mention it's a pain in the rear end to sv_status and sv_switchteam <id> all the RR'ers, and I'm not sure how SV_randomall works when people are already on a team and the game is going. Like, does it completely randomize the teams if you're already on one, or what?

I don't mind getting skill rolled by the actual garfu or joe or whomever, but I hate people who are dicks for the sake of being a dick. See: Drawing out a one-hive game by only killing eggs for 10 minutes. Etc.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
sv_randomall doesn't re-randomize, it just forces everyone from the ready room onto a team.

When my game has crashed someone always grabs my spot before I can re-log. I assume a flat kick allows someone else to rejoin and take the jerks's slot.

Things were great this weekend, and I played most of the evening on Sunday, and I didn't have any of that happen. Maybe it was just a bad evening :/

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
I'll use that next time I see terrible RR'ers, then. I don't want to be that admin, but I do expect a more conscientious level of play (perhaps not competent!) from Goons.

privatepublic
Oct 22, 2008

by T. Finninho
Just bought this thanks to this thread. How is the ping for the server usually? I can't wait to pounce on a poor, unsuspecting sap. Will be in as Ripvanfinkle in a couple hours!

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
It really depends on your geographical location, of course. As far as I know, the goon servers are both hosted in the central US. I'm an east coaster and I have mild 100+ ping to them, which isn't that great but is playable at least.

Guesticles
Dec 21, 2009

I AM CURRENTLY JACKING OFF TO PICTURES OF MUTILATED FEMALE CORPSES, IT'S ALL VERY DEEP AND SOPHISTICATED BUT IT'S JUST TOO FUCKING HIGHBROW FOR YOU NON-MISOGYNISTS TO UNDERSTAND

:siren:P.S. STILL COMPLETELY DEVOID OF MERIT:siren:

Ryen Deckard posted:

That one guy called you a "beta male human being."

:psyduck: How the hell is that to be an insult against a commander?

I mean, I get how its supposed to be an insult, but how the hell would that relate to your ability to be a commander? "gently caress that commander, he listens to his players and adapts his strategy based on what they tell him is going on, instead of yelling at them to go keep dying in the same room while the other team takes over the map."

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010

Guesticles posted:

I mean, I get how its supposed to be an insult, but how the hell would that relate to your ability to be a commander? "gently caress that commander, he listens to his players and adapts his strategy based on what they tell him is going on, instead of yelling at them to go keep dying in the same room while the other team takes over the map."

It means you aren't a strong alpha male like them, so you aren't fit to comm and lead the pack.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.

Guesticles posted:

Its terminology used by creepy speed seduction/anti-feminist groups. Basically anyone using it is a loving nutcase and should not be engaged with.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY
Are you guys gonna play NS2 or are you just gonna talk about it? Join NS2Goons now!

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Get an Australian server going and I will.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

This cyberpunk cartoon avatar is pretty dang ol' good, I tell you what.
So who were all of you on NS2Goons earlier?

Lots of Gorge names. I was Lerk Moar.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If there was anyone named Gorge Costanza they are an imposter. I am the one true Gorge Costanza.

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

There were like three or four Gorge names, but none Costanza. Your virtue is safe.

And that part early on in Summit, once the server began filling up, with Herr Kommandant yelling with others on aliens was hilarious.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Well, I finally managed to get into the 32 player server that's floating around, and it was magnificent :allears:

I know that NS is supposed to be balanced for 8v8, but I find that I have the most fun on 12v12 servers since it's less of an issue if one person drops or is horrible or whatever. It's also great for getting into the thick of things earlier.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Volmarias posted:

Well, I finally managed to get into the 32 player server that's floating around, and it was magnificent :allears:

I know that NS is supposed to be balanced for 8v8, but I find that I have the most fun on 12v12 servers since it's less of an issue if one person drops or is horrible or whatever. It's also great for getting into the thick of things earlier.

This is how I feel. I don't play NS all day every day; I haven't played it in like a month. When I do, I just wanna go balls out and have some fun. That's why people like those kinds of servers.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Volmarias posted:

Stomp him and just find somewhere else. You're not supposed to fit everywhere as an Onos.

So, we had a match where everything was just going to poo poo, marines owned the map, and we could barely hold our base. What to do? Wall ourselves in with our hive and hope for the best :ohdear:

I'm late, but games like this are make NS so god drat fun.

TheSpiritFox
Jan 4, 2009

I'm just a memory, I can't give you any new information.

I hate people who go shade first without asking. Especially when they try to justify it afterwards. I almost wonder sometimes if it's the long con version of recycle trolling.

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.
Whole bunch of questions:

1. How does the game decide which IP to spit a marine out of?
2. What is it marines are doing when they do that weird backwards jumping strafing zig zags in response to skulks, that are somehow really hard to predict the direction of?
3. Can you beacon to an unpowered command chair? Example: put an Observatory in the top right of Landing Pad so its closest to Terminal but is on a different power system - can it beacon to Terminal even when that room is unpowered?
4. What do you do when commanding a marine team with bad aim who can't handle gas Lerks flying in straight lines?
5. Does the railgun really shoot through friendly players and buildings or am I imagining it?

Senethro fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Apr 10, 2013

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Senethro posted:

Whole bunch of questions:

1. How does the game decide which IP to spit a marine out of?
2. What is it marines are doing when they do that weird backwards jumping strafing zig zags in response to skulks, that are somehow really hard to predict the direction of?
3. Can you beacon to an unpowered command chair? Example: put an Observatory in the top right of Landing Pad so its closest to Terminal but is on a different power system - can it beacon to Terminal even when that room is unpowered?
4. What do you do when commanding a marine team with twitch aim who can't handle gas Lerks flying in straight lines?
5. Does the railgun really shoot through friendly players and buildings or am I imagining it?

1. build order
2. You jump from side to side and try to track the alien, if you always have sight you're always jumping perpendicular to the alien's w+m1. I don't think anyone is hitting backwards, that makes things easier for the skulk.
3. No, target comm chair needs power. You'll doom your team to a long run with that move.
4. Research the flamethrower and buy it for them
5. Yes, best weapon in the game!

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

TheSpiritFox posted:

I hate people who go shade first without asking. Especially when they try to justify it afterwards. I almost wonder sometimes if it's the long con version of recycle trolling.

Dem's fightin' words!

Incredulous Dylan
Oct 22, 2004

Fun Shoe
Hah, had one of those old style NS1 losing games last night on Descent that just put a smile on my face. I'm in total zen mood on marines and our commander is just flipping out. Berating people over the mic, calling everyone idiots and generally making it so nobody would listen to him. I had suggested a few basic strategies (like building phase gates to key areas) which were denied but hey it happens. To top it off there was this guy who basically just sat by a node and demanded it be built for half the match, refusing to move until it was. It was really pissing this guy off and the whole thing was hilarious. Naturally the aliens took over almost all of the map because we were running to places instead of phasing. Eventually this guy rages out of the chair and the dude who only wanted a node jumped in, built himself the node and then ran off. I decide to jump in the chair with the old comm sarcastically praising what would no doubt be my great strategy. I look at my little marine who only wants to build nodes, send him down to shuttle bay and ask "Can you build this node for me?". While having some fun with the team on the mic, I set up a few split pushes by ninja phase gates that took down 4 hives until we were overwhelmed. Old comm apologizes and explains he just gets angry sometimes :3:

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
If you dont want shade first then go commander. I hate when a game wont start for like 10 minutes because no one wants to comm, then I jump in the hive and drop shade first and all of a sudden everyone has an opinion. If you care so much about what upgrade you get first then jump in the commander role yourself.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Limastock posted:

If you dont want shade first then go commander. I hate when a game wont start for like 10 minutes because no one wants to comm, then I jump in the hive and drop shade first and all of a sudden everyone has an opinion. If you care so much about what upgrade you get first then jump in the commander role yourself.

Hear hear!
Besides, silence first is fun as hell and is so rare that it still has novelty value. I don't care if we lose because we're stuck to two hives with no crag, those first ten minutes as a silent skulk and lerk were spectacular. We're here to have fun after all, non? Queue the disagreeing people ignoring how my focus is fun, again. Gotta win those pub games at all costs!

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Apr 10, 2013

alathar
Jan 6, 2004
O_o

Senethro posted:

Zigmidge posted:

3. No, target comm chair needs power. You'll doom your team to a long run with that move.

You actually can beacon to an unpowered comm chair, assuming it is built. Discussed here, more in depth on page 2.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

That's pretty rad! I guess I was just assuming?

Now that I think about it, the only time I place an obs outside of base is in central drilling or a push from the neck. I should play around with this more!

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Obs are really great, and marine commanders really should build them more often than they normally do. Even if it isn't at a comm chair for beaconing, just having it to nullify camouflage and allow you to track alien movement even through the walls is amazing. They are fragile so don't spam them stupidly, but if you're setting up a forward base (phase gate, armory, etc), may as well throw in an obs to help protect the investment. Also, a lot of rookie aliens instinctively go for the obs first because of 'oh poo poo stop the bacon!', even if it isn't a beaconable one. It sucks if you have to keep rebuilding them, so do avoid that, but if skulks chewing the obs gives you enough time to get some ARCs moving, it's worth it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Nothing is funnier as an alien than starting a mass attack on, say, Central Drilling, hearing the beacon noise, and having all the marines you were fighting get sucked away to Repair because the commander doesn't quite understand how obs works.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
It is pretty funny on marines too though. It always plays out exactly the same. Right after beacon everyone on marines is like "wtf" and the comm just has that voice of resignation on the mic like "oh.. i didnt know.. i meant to.."

I have definitely done this as comm myself as well. What really sucks is when a second tech point is under attack and they get the comm chair right before you beacon and everyone gets beaconed back to the tech point where you still have a chair.

Is there anyway to cancel the beacon? Ive tried but ive never figured it out.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I always put my first observatory on control group 1 so I can quickly scan wherever I'm looking, and I got in the habit of quickly pressing 1 and then A to scan. One time my finger slipped and I pressed S by accident, while three players were attacking a base and generally doing very well. For some reason the beacon sound effect didn't play for me so all I could say was "uh did I seriously just beacon everybody" when I noticed that suddenly everyone was back at base and very confused.

I was so goddamn embarrassed but people were pretty good-natured about it. I still think that was why we lost the game though and I still have paranoia about using hotkeys instead of clicking the buttons.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

The beaconing game is exactly why I lose all my lost rounds as comm. Either I beaconed when it wasn't necessary or i was too late on an important beacon. It's frustrating that it always comes down to the same reason but I guess that's what happens when you refuse to play games sober.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.
Welp, rline and I are on our way to Germany. I think there are a few other goons on the other team also heading there. Make sure to check out the finals on Friday at 2pm est!

http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns2/nsl

:patriot:

Cry Havoc
May 10, 2004

Goonspeed!

Guess I'll have to catch the replay.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
This means most of the pro players won't be on NS2Goons anytime soon, so get your non-rolled gameplay in!

And best of luck, garfu. Gib a skulk or three with your railgun for us. :3:

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
I was playing earlier today without any problems, but now any time I try to join any server, I get immediately booted when it tries to connect with the message "incorrect network protocol". Any idea what's up with that and how I can get back to playing? I tried verifying the cache through Steam and that completed without incident but wasn't any help.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
E: If you're having trouble connecting it's probably because this JUST dropped.

New patch!

quote:

Natural Selection 2 Build 245 Released
Posted by Max 31 mins ago

We’ve just released a small maintenance patch which is now live on Steam. This patch is intended to address some issues that cropped up after the release of 244 as well as make some final adjustments in preparation for the NSL Invitational Grand Final on Friday.

Here is the complete change log:

Feature

Added information about whether or not the server is VAC secured to the loading screen.
Added basic information about the mods running on a server to the loading screen.
Added news to the main menu.

Balance

Added a 0.3 second cool down for medpacks.

Fix

Fixed hitching associated with loading GUI textures.
Fixed crash due to race condition while sorting data.
Moving Drifters no longer remain cloaked by Shades.
Dead Hives no longer continue to heal nearby Aliens.
Bone Wall burst sound now audible for Alien Commander.
Fixed a couple of problems with adding bans in the server admin web client when a reason was not provided (Thanks confused!)

Improvement

Added current map name to the top of the scoreboard UI.
Switched scoreboard font back to Arial font.
Removed the distinction between modded and non-modded servers in the server browser (so that modded servers are not treated as “second class”).

Editor

Using knobs to modify texture mapping values no longer generates ton of undo steps.

Tram

Removed Mezzanine->Server vent.
Cleared up some of the debris around Platform RT area, added route for Skulk on south side Platform area.
Mezzanine more Alien friendly, vent exit from North Tunnels is higher up.
Ambush spots above doorways in the tram tunnels.
Added spawn configuration entities to prevent Warehouse-Server starts.
Warehouse elevator prop collisions enabled.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Good luck out there homeslice. Springtime trip to Germany per diem and a handful of cash just to play this rad game sounds like a good time to me!

e: Thank god for the font reversal. That was a decision someone made before they even saw it.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

quote:

Added spawn configuration entities to prevent Warehouse-Server starts

Thank god, it's always a hilarious poo poo show when that happens.

Maximusi
Nov 11, 2007

Haters gonna hate
I've been a fan of this game since it came out years and years ago and I can't play NS2 because I have a Mac. :( For chrissakes make the Mac version already!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

quote:

Removed the distinction between modded and non-modded servers in the server browser (so that modded servers are not treated as “second class”).

gently caress that, they are.

• Locked thread