Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

Really, I think the game just needs more character/interpersonal interactions to flesh individuals out. As it stands, I don't even bother to remember any names aside from my character, his wife, the eldest child of each gender, and one or two of my greatest rivals, because no one else really matters in any real way. Like, sure, your spymaster's important, but you can just plop him down in your capitol with orders to Scheme and not worry about him until you need someone assassinated. More interpersonal stuff, where you have events with family, vassals, etc, with the two character's traits and stats determining what kind of interactions those are would go a long way to flesh everyone out, and then everybody, including the women, would feel less like chess pieces and more like characters.

For example, just to make something up, maybe your eldest daughter, who is Wroth and Cruel, confronts you and demands you go to war to press a claim or that you imprison a vassal that she feels insulted her. Or maybe you and your brother both have the Crusader trait so you get an event where the two of you swap war stories, getting a relationship boost and an extra martial point. Just something like that, to humanize everyone and let you get a feel of who everyone is.

The vendettas in The Republic were a good example of this, I thought.

Not to mention if you're playing as a Muslim and all your wives are constantly trying to murder the other wives' kids. I swear, it's like a Mexican standoff spontaneously erupts around the breakfast table every morning.

Yeah, this is basically what I was getting at. It's probably true that women being especially boring is basically a side-effect of the fact that people without immediate political power are faceless in general. The kind of thing you mention would help immersion a ton.

Like I said - we need a Soap Opera Mod! More friends, rivals, ugly domestic quarrels, infidelity, revenge, dirty secrets and other bits of exploitation-drama.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

On another note, does anyone know if more than 50/500/whatever it's at right now POPs can join an RGO at once now? It was frustrating playing APD the other day and having a huge amount of laborers sit on their hands.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
If you mean in HoD, yes.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Guildencrantz posted:

Yeah, this is basically what I was getting at. It's probably true that women being especially boring is basically a side-effect of the fact that people without immediate political power are faceless in general. The kind of thing you mention would help immersion a ton.

Like I said - we need a Soap Opera Mod! More friends, rivals, ugly domestic quarrels, infidelity, revenge, dirty secrets and other bits of exploitation-drama.

That would be fantastic, hopefully The Old Gods can incorporate some more interpersonal events like that. One thing that occurred to me when I was playing my Italian merchant save a few minutes ago is the complete lack of reaction to familial deaths. My Doge's 12-year-old daughter that he spoiled rotten, doting on her and giving her everything she wanted, died of Camp Fever, and the family doesn't so much as blink. It also reminded me of an old Duchy of Toulouse game, where my son and heir, a genius with some of the highest stats and best traits I'd ever seen, died in his mid/late-20s, leaving my complete idiot of an eldest daughter in line for the throne. That should sure as hell get some kind of reaction! I don't know, just throwing some thoughts out there. I'd certainly download a Soap Opera Mod, I can tell you that for sure.

Hell, I'd be willing to throw down :10bux: on an official "Interpersonal Events Pack" DLC. You listening, Paradox? :cheeky:

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Darkrenown posted:

If you mean in HoD, yes.

Goddamn let me play aHoD. :(

Guildencrantz
May 1, 2012

IM ONE OF THE GOOD ONES

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

That would be fantastic, hopefully The Old Gods can incorporate some more interpersonal events like that. One thing that occurred to me when I was playing my Italian merchant save a few minutes ago is the complete lack of reaction to familial deaths. My Doge's 12-year-old daughter that he spoiled rotten, doting on her and giving her everything she wanted, died of Camp Fever, and the family doesn't so much as blink. It also reminded me of an old Duchy of Toulouse game, where my son and heir, a genius with some of the highest stats and best traits I'd ever seen, died in his mid/late-20s, leaving my complete idiot of an eldest daughter in line for the throne. That should sure as hell get some kind of reaction! I don't know, just throwing some thoughts out there. I'd certainly download a Soap Opera Mod, I can tell you that for sure.

Hell, I'd be willing to throw down :10bux: on an official "Interpersonal Events Pack" DLC. You listening, Paradox? :cheeky:

Well, there is an event where if you have an amazing heir for a long time, and good relations, and he/she dies, your ruler reacts. IIRC you become either Depressed or Cynical, but it's been a while since I've seen it. There's another similar one with spouses in a loving marriage as well. Still, there's plenty more stuff to do. Like the Friends/Rivals system, that's a great base that's pretty underdeveloped - it happens sort of arbitrarily and doesn't tie into other game events very much. And, of course, there's the fact that while you do get a negative modifier if someone murders your kin, I would so like a "Take Revenge on X" ambition :black101:

Man, I think I know how I'm spending my weekend.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

DrProsek posted:

poo poo like a genocide Boers button.... eh too far :(.

I grew up in South Africa during Apartheid (up to experiencing it as an adult).

I'll mod it in.

Darkrenown posted:

Most people, however, are able to recognise that shooting someone in an FPS doesn't actually make you a murderer, and that colonising Africa doesn't make you a neo-colonial racist.

I agree, I don't think that of all of people. It's just a game.

Mrs. Wynand
Nov 23, 2002

DLT 4EVA
After having had a blast with CK2 (the first paradox game I actually enjoyed really), I've set it upon myself to try and decipher Vicky 2. Should I get a house divided right away, even while learning the game? Or is it ok to start with the base game and go from there?

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

RagnarokAngel posted:

IS there evidence of this? I'm asking sincerely cause I'm curious. I had always been taught that marriage was seen as a bargaining chip and love didn't factor into it. Not that love didn't exist, people were making songs about love since forever, in all cultures, but it was seen as forsaking your duty first and foremost to your country. I'm sure the occasional person got offended at the notion, but was it actually common?

But I'm willing to admit I'm wrong on this. Are there any historical documents that talk about this cause I'd genuinely be interested in reading about them.

More what I was getting at is when Paradox puts in Bad Thing many people immediatly will jump to the conclusion that Bad Thing is being endorsed. This is common in a lot of media for public consumption. If you put in controversial subjects you risk people mistaking that as endorsement. Sometimes there's a time for controversy and conveying a message and I don't think Paradox games are it.

You already mentioned DEFCON as an example of a game that handles that whole "wow youre a hosed up person" concept really well, because it set out to deliver that message to you so it's the focus. Paradox games are first and foremost supposed to be fun, and while I myself am actively involved in social justice issues on a daily basis as a part of the work I'm doing right now, when I sit down with a Paradox game I don't really need to be saddled with a lot of guilt about virtual people. There's just a time and a place for that.
I get that, and aside from the certain edge cases we all know about, I'm more than okay with how Paradox games present themselves. Still, every now and then I'm caught off-guard and realize what I'm doing. Like my Afghanistan game. I found that huge rebel stack on London and I could have easily shipped over two armies from France to destroy it. I got really excited and was about to jump at the chance of wrecking Britain for the rest of the game. Then I realized: these are Jacobin rebels. They're not necessarily an army, these are regular people. Over a million of them, all marching on the capital because they wanted democracy. There wouldn't be a fight until I sent in my troops. And this is APD, so any fight against rebels is going to be red slaughter. I just couldn't do it. I was genuinely disappointed in myself for seeing it as an opportunity to take out an opponent instead of as brutally crushing a civilian protest movement.

DrProsek posted:

Ah, no idea why I didn't at least remember the ToT. I suppose the game already has genocides in it so adding in a second decision like the one the Zulus have isn't unprecedented.

E: Actually, on the note of the Native Americans, are there any mods to add in more Native American nations? There's the Metis Confederation, the Cherokee, and Yucatan, but what about the other groups, like the Cree or Dakota?
I don't see why North America isn't littered with tribes at the game's start. It's really missing nations like the Blackfeet, the Nez Perce, definitely the Apache, etc.

Alchenar posted:

There are particular differences in making a grand-strategy game that make it incredibly difficult to attach some kind of meaningful narrative that the player is supposed to identify with, though. I mean, if you wanted Hearts of Iron to properly grapple with the vileness of being a murder simulation then the way to do it would be to implement a Holocaust mechanic for the Germans to pump IC into, with them gaining VP as you achieve Hitler's goal of exterminating his racial enemies.

Such a game would be utterly horrific and completely unsellable, for obvious reasons.
As I've mentioned before, Brenda Brathwaite's Train is a great example of how to handle something tragic strictly through ludology and game design. You don't need to narrativize to add meaning, you can address it directly in the mechanics.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Mr. Wynand posted:

After having had a blast with CK2 (the first paradox game I actually enjoyed really), I've set it upon myself to try and decipher Vicky 2. Should I get a house divided right away, even while learning the game? Or is it ok to start with the base game and go from there?

Get AHD, it improves Vicky 2 tremendously.

EightDeer
Dec 2, 2011

Late to the party, but:

Darkrenown posted:

Yeah, the games would be a lot more fun if they constantly called you a monster...

It worked out pretty well for Spec Ops: The Line.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

DrProsek posted:

Ah, no idea why I didn't at least remember the ToT. I suppose the game already has genocides in it so adding in a second decision like the one the Zulus have isn't unprecedented.

E: Actually, on the note of the Native Americans, are there any mods to add in more Native American nations? There's the Metis Confederation, the Cherokee, and Yucatan, but what about the other groups, like the Cree or Dakota?

The Pop Demand Mod adds in the Navajo and the Dakota as releasable nations along with the Cherokee, but they're not present at the start of the game and only appear in certain situations - I saw them appear in my 'America as a Fascist Dictatorship' game, I got an event that gave a shitload of not-yet-existing nations cores on various parts of my land and they were two of them. I'm not sure if it's from Pop Demand itself or if it's something left over from NNM, but they're definitely there.

There really should be more tribes existing from the start of the game, though - sure, the United States claimed all of the land it's currently depicted as controlling at the start of V2, but pretty much everything west of the Mississippi was still under de facto native control in 1836.

e: Incidentally, does anyone perchance have any advice on how to survive as Yucatan, Metis, or Cherokee without cheating like a bandit? I really want to go all Reverse Manifest Destiny and push the Europeans back into the sea as a Native American nation, but the only three that can be released early on are so tiny they might as well be OPMs. There's bound to be some sort of viable strategy I haven't figured out yet, any ideas?

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 23:22 on Apr 10, 2013

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

As I've mentioned before, Brenda Brathwaite's Train is a great example of how to handle something tragic strictly through ludology and game design. You don't need to narrativize to add meaning, you can address it directly in the mechanics.

Train is a bad example of this because it is not a particularly compelling game, and more of a didactic art experience entirely about the intertwining of narrative/theming with mechanics. The entire "game" is a story with a twist ending, where you start with an abstract mechanic, and because you read a card that says "Dachau" on it, you are supposed to realize you're role-playing a Bad Person.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Darkrenown posted:

Honestly, pretty much any video game involving conflict has the player doing what would be terrible things in real life. Most people, however, are able to recognise that shooting someone in an FPS doesn't actually make you a murderer, and that colonising Africa doesn't make you a neo-colonial racist.

That is exactly my point!

Bad things happened in history, and Paradox haven't shied away from representing some of these - eg. soldier pops and people dying in wars and battles. I don't feel like Stalin because I send thousands of troops into the meat grinder of a battle. But

quote:

"[I]t's too modern a viewpoint. In-game, the race for colonies is seen in an entirely positive light. With the colonization system, we have decided to take the angle of the European powers sitting in drawing rooms in Europe drawing arbitrary lines on the maps."

This just completely airbrushes history. At least in a FPS game when you kill someone, you see them die.

If the negative effects of Colonialism are modelled in game, I won't feel like a neo-colonial racist. But it is a consideration that should figure in my plans. Do I exploit the Congo for my own gain, or am I taking on the white man's burden to create a free and fair polity?

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm hoping aHoD will address some of this. The game's name is "A heart of darkness" and its not referring entirely to the dark skin of the Africans but rather the darkness in the soul of the white man.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

EightDeer posted:

It worked out pretty well for Spec Ops: The Line.

Which was, in many ways, intentional satire on the nature of first person shooters.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

V for Vegas posted:

That is exactly my point!

Bad things happened in history, and Paradox haven't shied away from representing some of these - eg. soldier pops and people dying in wars and battles. I don't feel like Stalin because I send thousands of troops into the meat grinder of a battle. But

This just completely airbrushes history. At least in a FPS game when you kill someone, you see them die.

If the negative effects of Colonialism are modelled in game, I won't feel like a neo-colonial racist. But it is a consideration that should figure in my plans. Do I exploit the Congo for my own gain, or am I taking on the white man's burden to create a free and fair polity?
Machine Guns gives one of the biggest boosts to colonization in the game. That alone is probably the most whitewashed thing in the entire game. No explanation, no psychological distance, just suddenly -10 Min Life Rating. At least the massacre decisions call it what it is. In EU and Vicky both there are incredibly arbitrary decisions as to what nation gets actual representation in the game and what is abstracted away into "stateless population." I mean, most of Africa is treated as unassociated stuff, and then they turn around and make Swahili a state. Swahili was little more than a common identity grouped around the language formed from the Omani colony of Zanzibar.

Cynic Jester posted:

Which was, in many ways, intentional satire on the nature of first person shooters.
Yeah, and it used making the player feel bad about genuinely awful things as a way to comment upon games.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Darkrenown posted:

If you mean in HoD, yes.

Great, already pre-ordered, thanks. :)

A Renaissance Nerd
Mar 29, 2010

Mister Bates posted:

There really should be more tribes existing from the start of the game, though - sure, the United States claimed all of the land it's currently depicted as controlling at the start of V2, but pretty much everything west of the Mississippi was still under de facto native control in 1836.

Land claims are something that I feel is sorely missing from Paradox games. If you look at maps showing North America during the colonial period, you'll see huge stretches of land labeled as owned by 'France', 'England', or 'Spain.' When really the territory had maybe been scouted out by an explorer, or perhaps there were a few trading settlements, but it wasn't settled (by Europeans at least). Something neat for EU4 would be the ability to claim land you could then later colonize at a lesser cost than fully colonizing the land and making it a full, productive colony. Give a CB if someone tries to muscle in on your claims, too. It would also make a historical event based on the Treaty of Tordesillas possible.

A Renaissance Nerd fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Apr 11, 2013

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Exploration and colonization through cores rather than ownership does make a lot of sense. It'd basically eliminate the game design necessity of empty provinces, too.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
So I've been making a few little tweaks to the "Pop Divided Mod".

I call it "Divided States of America".

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine

DrSunshine posted:

So I've been making a few little tweaks to the "Pop Divided Mod".

I call it "Divided States of America".

Columbia? This mod truly is representing a timeline that never happened.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...
E:^^^
If I had to guess, a combination of the name of (no longer British) Columbia (BC threatened to quit Canada when the transcontinental railway failed, so vanilla V2 has a tag for them), and the land of Cascadia

:stare:... it's glorious. I would say that USA still seems a tad too strong though: a Free States of America in New York, Philadelphia, and maybe Ohio would put a big enough dent in their manpower and industry that alliance blocks that can stand up to the USA should be common enough.

burnishedfume fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Apr 11, 2013

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I'd divide the western states where 'United States' is printed up amongst the other western nations, personally, and do something about those weird Alaskan borders, but it looks fun!

EDIT: Or even just get rid of the USA, turn the east coast into some sort of New York led state and some sort of other state ruled from Chicago or something.
EDIT EDIT: Idle thoughts:

EDIT EDIT EDIT: Has there been a 'balkanized world' mod?

Fintilgin fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 11, 2013

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
You could always give the heartland to the Sioux and Pawnee tribes, or the area around New York and Pennsylvania to the Iroquois Confederacy!

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
What about the manhattan commune?

PBJ
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Fintilgin posted:

I'd divide the western states where 'United States' is printed up amongst the other western nations, personally, and do something about those weird Alaskan borders, but it looks fun!

EDIT: Or even just get rid of the USA, turn the east coast into some sort of New York led state and some sort of other state ruled from Chicago or something.
EDIT EDIT: Idle thoughts:

I'd back this scenario. It'd make America a much more lively place.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fintilgin posted:

I don't think so, but I'd certainly love an "as many NNF tags as possible have been released" scenario.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

You could always give the heartland to the Sioux and Pawnee tribes, or the area around New York and Pennsylvania to the Iroquois Confederacy!

I'd love to do this, but it would require me to learn how to actually add new countries, instead of just fiddling around with the pre-existent countries that come with the APD. But I'll give it a try, no guarantees though. I've already tried making a Two Dakotas scenario, where in 1861, Dakota is divided into the communist North Dakota and the democratic South Dakota. But for some reason it still shows up as just "Dakokta"!! :argh:

A Renaissance Nerd
Mar 29, 2010
I say give the Californian Republic the states of Nevada, Utah, and Arizona too. It's the original Mexican state of Alta California. :colbert:

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

I've been meaning to work more on my "Voluntary Balakanization" mod: First step, create a starting scenario where every nation that can be independent is at game start (for the USA, I'd use the CSA, California, Columbia, Texas, New England, Dakota, the Cherokee, Deseret, and what remains of the USA becomes the Free States). Then I would make an additional module that when you rise to GP status you force release all nations you can. I thought it might be a cool way to keep the world in a constant state of chaos.

Oh something I thought of Dr. Sunshine: Get rid of the "Petition to join union" and Manifest Destiny decisions, or else Texas, Deseret, and California will all quickly become part of the USA and then promptly the USA will take what it needs from Columbia, Dakota, and then crump the CSA.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

DrProsek posted:

I've been meaning to work more on my "Voluntary Balakanization" mod: First step, create a starting scenario where every nation that can be independent is at game start (for the USA, I'd use the CSA, California, Columbia, Texas, New England, Dakota, the Cherokee, Deseret, and what remains of the USA becomes the Free States). Then I would make an additional module that when you rise to GP status you force release all nations you can. I thought it might be a cool way to keep the world in a constant state of chaos.

Oh something I thought of Dr. Sunshine: Get rid of the "Petition to join union" and Manifest Destiny decisions, or else Texas, Deseret, and California will all quickly become part of the USA and then promptly the USA will take what it needs from Columbia, Dakota, and then crump the CSA.

So puppets?

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Fintilgin posted:

Doesn't Vicky have problems with excessive numbers of tags? HoD is dropping, like, fifty new revolter tags on us, so that may no longer be the case.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

If you're looking to split the nation up, add the Apache, Comanche, Cheyenne, Ute, and Navajo. Columbia should probably be Native American, too. I'm partial to the Nez Perce, but take your pick, really. If we're talking about adding new nations to dismantle the union, why not just break it altogether using the existing tags in NNM? There's a separate tag for each state.

Wolfgang Pauli fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 11, 2013

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
The CSA might be a bit powerful if everyone else is split up. Maybe split off Louisiana area?

Has there been a mod that adds a independent ex-slave state that can revolt away from the CSA or USA? I think that would be fun alt-history scenario. (PS: gently caress the CSA)

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Fintilgin posted:

The CSA might be a bit powerful if everyone else is split up. Maybe split off Louisiana area?

Has there been a mod that adds a independent ex-slave state that can revolt away from the CSA or USA? I think that would be fun alt-history scenario. (PS: gently caress the CSA)

Florida can be separate too. Bonus points for a ruling Moralist Jewish party.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

Fintilgin posted:

Ooh! Something I didn't realize I wanted till now: Cajun nation.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat
I've always thought that a fun mod would be one where the assumption is that the Articles of Confederation somehow worked out for the USA. Have a bunch of pseudo independent states east of the Mississippi with the Continental Congress acting as their boss (Sort of like how Japan is set up in NNM, where there is an "imperial Japan" and then a bunch of diamyos interacting with it).

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

DrProsek posted:

Ooh! Something I didn't realize I wanted till now: Cajun nation.

Accepted culture: Anyone who can cook... spicy.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Oh geez, the U.S. border.:cripes:

I'm planning to put Sioux and Pawnee between the Dakotan Republic and the Great Lakes Combine.

Not Pictured: Civilized Hawaii. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fintilgin posted:

I remember in Turtledove's Southern Victory series, the African-Americans revolted during the middle of the Second American Civil War/WWI to form a Socialist Republic, but damned if I can remember the name.

• Locked thread