Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Feenix posted:

Better than Outland in that regard.... Remains to be seen how it stacks against a Metroid, but more interesting than I'd expected thus far...
There have been some more Metroidviania games recently and that makes me happy, but they've gotten me thinking about the aesthetic part of that genre I like: deep dark loneliness. Guacamelee certainly doesn't seem to have that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

Stare-Out posted:

I forgot Clover is now mostly Platinum. Great games but man, the world needs an Okami sequel.

Okami did get a sequel. Okamiden on the DS. It's alright but nothing really spectacular.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Everyone who owns a Wii U could buy Bayonetta 2 and the sales would still be disappointing.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Aphrodite posted:

Everyone who owns a Wii U could buy Bayonetta 2 and the sales would still be disappointing.
And that is a crying loving shame.

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

Samurai Sanders posted:

There have been some more Metroidviania games recently and that makes me happy, but they've gotten me thinking about the aesthetic part of that genre I like: deep dark loneliness. Guacamelee certainly doesn't seem to have that.

Guacamelee! absolutely does not have that. It's a joyous and colourful romp, full of charm and humour and good times. It's unashamedly fun, and it's quite casual in its exploration as it colour codes your special moves, and on the map colour codes the obstacles so you know where you can go once you unlock a new move. The fun doesn't come from hunting around for new paths, the fun comes from piledriving chupacapras and suplexing skeletons and oh god this game is so good. Tone-wise it may not be what you are looking for, and exploration-wise it may not float Shalinor's boat, but it has a very clear and distinct vision of what it wants to offer and I'm having a ton of fun with it on Vita. Incredibly well put together, it's a wonderful little game.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Okami is definitely the best Zelda game that isn't a Zelda game.

I can't imagine how it plays without a Wiimote/Move though. It seems like all the brush stuff would be kind of clunky with sticks.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

precision posted:

Okami is definitely the best Zelda game that isn't a Zelda game.

I can't imagine how it plays without a Wiimote/Move though. It seems like all the brush stuff would be kind of clunky with sticks.

I actually found the Wiimote stuff to be super clunky whereas with sticks it was very precise.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
This should probably go on every single thread in this forum but I'll just put it here: gameplay footage and interviews and stuff about Dark Souls 2.

Not necessarily a bad thing, but it doesn't look very different from Dark 1, compared to how Dark 1 looked from Demon's.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Can I buy you a rootbeer?

Parkingtigers posted:

Guacamelee! absolutely does not have that. It's a joyous and colourful romp, full of charm and humour and good times. It's unashamedly fun, and it's quite casual in its exploration as it colour codes your special moves, and on the map colour codes the obstacles so you know where you can go once you unlock a new move. The fun doesn't come from hunting around for new paths, the fun comes from piledriving chupacapras and suplexing skeletons and oh god this game is so good. Tone-wise it may not be what you are looking for, and exploration-wise it may not float Shalinor's boat, but it has a very clear and distinct vision of what it wants to offer and I'm having a ton of fun with it on Vita. Incredibly well put together, it's a wonderful little game.
Color coding isn't such a big deal. I mean heck, Shadow Complex was my favorite Metroidvania in years, and it did the same thing - you just had to "totally not x-ray visor" them, instead of it showing up on the map.

... and I'm kind of honor bound to buy anything describable as "a colorful romp full of charm and humour and good times." If I don't, I give up my right to bitch about chest high walls and brown, and by god, I enjoy that bitching.

Crystal Lake Witch
Apr 25, 2010

Shalinor posted:

Color coding isn't such a big deal. I mean heck, Shadow Complex was my favorite Metroidvania in years, and it did the same thing - you just had to "totally not x-ray visor" them, instead of it showing up on the map.

... and I'm kind of honor bound to buy anything describable as "a colorful romp full of charm and humour and good times." If I don't, I give up my right to bitch about chest high walls and brown, and by god, I enjoy that bitching.

I'm only a couple hours in, so things could well change, but it seems like the exploration isn't super deep, especially since the breakable stuff is typically colour coded and shows up on the map, but it's still pretty fun to go back and get into areas you couldn't before. The nice thing is the exploration is bolstered by surprisingly hectic fun brawling combat, and solid platforming, so even if you know exactly where to go, it's really fun to actually get there.

Plus, the music is super great, as well as every other part of the presentation. I hope this game really takes off, and these dudes get to do lots of other wicked stuff going forward. I kind of want to go look into their older games, but I haven't heard much about them.

oblomov
Jun 20, 2002

Meh... #overrated
How do Borderlands 1 and 2 play on PS3? I have played the first one on PC and was pretty meh about it. However, that Plus deal for $20 for Borderlands package is quite enticing.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

oblomov posted:

How do Borderlands 1 and 2 play on PS3? I have played the first one on PC and was pretty meh about it. However, that Plus deal for $20 for Borderlands package is quite enticing.
1 had some serious frame rate problems, 2 does also sometimes but only when you have four players and are fighting like sixteen enemies at once.

BL1 and 2, along with Far Cry 3, are the only shooters I have played in years that really did anything for me.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

That's a pretty great deal for Borderlands 1 and 2, if only it included the Borderlands 1 DLC.

If you felt pretty meh about Borderlands 1, I'm not sure what the second one added that'll really keep you and reel you in. It's an upgrade over the original for sure, but not in any ways that makes it distinctly different. It's more of the same on a better engine.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I actually liked Far Cry 2 better than 3, but aside from them the only shooter that's interested me, like, ever was Spec Ops: The Line.

But poo poo, for $20 it seems like getting both Borderlands is a no-brainer if they're even mildly entertaining. I'm a sucker for loot games and Diablo 2 was a long time ago.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

oblomov posted:

The second one is a much better game than the first, but, neither will be a ton of fun unless you co-op.

Done co-op, they're of the select few shooters I could say I loved. Solo, though, they're both a drag.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Samurai Sanders posted:

This should probably go on every single thread in this forum but I'll just put it here: gameplay footage and interviews and stuff about Dark Souls 2.

Not necessarily a bad thing, but it doesn't look very different from Dark 1, compared to how Dark 1 looked from Demon's.

I love me some Dark Souls and cannot wait for 2, but I will be the first to admit this was one of the most boring walkthrough/developer chats I have ever seen.
If I wasn't already a huge fan, I wouldn't give a gently caress based on what was said...

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Yeah, that was a really dull watch. Gimme something like the Dark Souls "Bartholomeow" trailer. That would get me pumped.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Feenix posted:

I love me some Dark Souls and cannot wait for 2, but I will be the first to admit this was one of the most boring walkthrough/developer chats I have ever seen.
If I wasn't already a huge fan, I wouldn't give a gently caress based on what was said...
To be honest I don't have any higher expectations than that, regarding interviews with game developers. As usual, everything they said was redundant with the gameplay video itself.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Blind Sally posted:

Yeah, that was a really dull watch. Gimme something like the Dark Souls "Bartholomeow" trailer. That would get me pumped.

Also, (again, I'm not down on the game, because, gently caress, it's more Dark Souls!) they claim poo poo like the graphical fidelity looks better but it looks about the same and was running like rear end... and was like, look at all the different paths and ways you can die and then show you poo poo that, really, looks no loving different than Dark Souls 1.

Maybe the real deal here is that IGN just got an "EXCLUSIVE" to nothing at all but page-hit filler...

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Feenix posted:

Also, (again, I'm not down on the game, because, gently caress, it's more Dark Souls!) they claim poo poo like the graphical fidelity looks better but it looks about the same and was running like rear end... and was like, look at all the different paths and ways you can die and then show you poo poo that, really, looks no loving different than Dark Souls 1.

Maybe the real deal here is that IGN just got an "EXCLUSIVE" to nothing at all but page-hit filler...

I suppose it could be that I only feel this way because I'm a huge Dark Souls fan but I was really stoked about the gameplay video and interview. As far as the graphics go, whatever, it's a current gen console game, but the lighting does look more advanced. I was just happy that they went out of their way to show that the vibe of the game is firmly rooted in Demon's/Dark Souls, and that the game has not been made easier. The developer even said that the story is still something you find through small details and put together yourself, which is something I was specifically concerned about because of earlier developer comments. This was a great video.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

I suppose it could be that I only feel this way because I'm a huge Dark Souls fan but I was really stoked about the gameplay video and interview. As far as the graphics go, whatever, it's a current gen console game, but the lighting does look more advanced. I was just happy that they went out of their way to show that the vibe of the game is firmly rooted in Demon's/Dark Souls, and that the game has not been made easier. The developer even said that the story is still something you find through small details and put together yourself, which is something I was specifically concerned about because of earlier developer comments. This was a great video.

It was a terrible video. The Japanese guy with clinical depression spoke unengagingly about their game and what they showed in the video can literally be summed up with the sentence; "Dark Souls 2 continues all the poo poo you've come to expect from Dark Souls."

I'm not down on the game... Huge fan. Just an absolutely worthless video.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Considering some of the language of the original reveal could be interpreted as a change in direction, it is DEFINITELY warranted for them to show off a video of the game being more Dark Souls.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

There's another Batman game coming. Can't wait. Although it's not made by Rocksteady :(

Batman: Arkham Origins, an obvious prequel to Asylum & City. And they're also making a Metroidvania Batman game for Vita.

Today is a good day.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Harlock posted:

There's another Batman game coming. Can't wait. Although it's not made by Rocksteady :(
While that's true...

the news posted:

The publisher's WB Games Montreal studio will take over development duties from Rocksteady Studios, who created the first two titles. As a report from Game Informer notes, Arkham Origins creative director Eric Holmes was the lead designer on open world action titles Prototype and The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction.
I see that as a potentially good thing. Arkham City's sandbox was dull / Rocksteady didn't really "get" sandboxes or non-linear exploration. But that dude? That dude GETS it (and also has the budget to do it well, this time). :neckbeard:

EDIT: VV It's ok, so long as he only hideously mangles them. No henchman were killed, they were just chewed and then dropped from 50 stories up.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 11, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
As Batman, I'm gonna grab people off the street and then run up the side of a skyscraper while eating them.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Samurai Sanders posted:

As Batman, I'm gonna grab people off the street and then run up the side of a skyscraper while eating them.
That's for when you transform into Man-Bat :rolleyes:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Samurai Sanders posted:

This would totally work if you played as Bat-Bane.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Since Metroidvania games have been brought up, what are some good ones for PS3, besides Guacamelee of course.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Well, if you haven't played it already, Symphony of the Night is on PSN.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Blind Sally posted:

Well, if you haven't played it already, Symphony of the Night is on PSN.
Other than that, you have to get a bit further from that definition in order to find anything really good. Dark Souls and the Batman games are that, by some definitions.

Could it be that that genre is making a comeback though? Guacamelee even said that in their trailer, even though people have questioned how Metroidy it is.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

Samurai Sanders posted:

Other than that, you have to get a bit further from that definition in order to find anything really good. Dark Souls and the Batman games are that, by some definitions.

What I like is gaining new abilities to explore previous areas. Like you mentioned, Arkham Asylum had lots of little secrets that I wanted to get to and had to wait to get to. In the mean time I was fantasizing about what cool abilities I would be getting. I just wish the secrets were more substantial than concept art and such.

Shalinor
Jun 10, 2002

Liar Lyre posted:

What I like is gaining new abilities to explore previous areas. Like you mentioned, Arkham Asylum had lots of little secrets that I wanted to get to and had to wait to get to. In the mean time I was fantasizing about what cool abilities I would be getting. I just wish the secrets were more substantial than concept art and such.
Did you play Okami yet? If not, snag Okami HD. It may or may not scratch that itch. I'm not actually sure where the line is, between Zelda and Metroidvania, but Okami out-Zelda'ed Zelda at the very least.

There's also Outland, which some people really dug.

EDIT: What's weird about Metroidvanias is that they're not dead. It seems like every other indie game is a Metroidvania. The thing is, 90% of them are incomplete messes, and over half the remainder are meandering poo poo. So everyone's making them, yet there's still almost no new ones worth mentioning coming out. Then there's the recent movement to procedural content, which turns potentially good Metroidvanias into meandering piles of unexplorable crap. Alas.

Shalinor fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 11, 2013

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

I've wanted Okami for a while, but I thought it might be a Plus freebie soon. Might as well just buy it now.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Yeah, you may as well. It's a EU freebie at the moment, and one thing I've learned is that we pretty much never get any of the poo poo for free that Europe does. So it's probably a safe purchase.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Haha... Finally got the chance to begin playing Valkyria Chronicles. I just made it to the point where you can recruit soldiers for Squad 7, and I noticed that one of the characters you can choose is Vyse from Skies of Arcadia. That sort of easter egg is really cute.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
You can get Aika, too (and she kicks rear end) and the medic is.. whoever the other girl on SoA was. I forget her name.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
Yeah, Vyse and Aika were pretty much two of my always-on-the-field characters.

And, of course, Marina. :black101:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Muh'fuggin Freesia York was my best unit. Probably followed by Marina and Largo. VEGGIES.

time is a wastin
Sep 11, 2011

Feenix posted:

It was a terrible video. The Japanese guy with clinical depression spoke unengagingly about their game and what they showed in the video can literally be summed up with the sentence; "Dark Souls 2 continues all the poo poo you've come to expect from Dark Souls."

I'm not down on the game... Huge fan. Just an absolutely worthless video.

Yeah , you're absolutely right. I could barely pay attention to what the guy was saying as A) he wasn't even speaking frigging english and B) he kept saying boring poo poo like how he wanted to "express concepts", and he didn't even raise his voice or make hand gestures. Then there was all the gameplay they showed, which did nothing more than show what the game will be like + some of the improvements they made. I cant believe a dumb video like that was even made and frankly I blame IGN more than anyone else, its definitely well below their standards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Glad we're on the same page!

• Locked thread