Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queer Salutations
Aug 20, 2009

kind of a shitty wizard...

zenintrude posted:

How else would you describe it? I suppose you could go the Tarantino route and call it an Eastern, but that might get confusing.

Also both of those posters are great and the movie is fantastic, especially the massive chase scene set to Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood. Gave me goosebumps.

The director calls it a "kimchi western" which I kind of like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DarkSol
May 18, 2006

Gee, I wish we had one of them doomsday machines.

FreudianSlippers posted:

Aren't Soviet Westerns called Easterns?
At least the ones that take place in the eastern steppes.

Yes, they were called "Osterns".

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Eastern Westerns reminds me of:

(sorry for crappy quality, best I could find)

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Tears of the Black Tiger is so, so pretty.

joedevola
Sep 11, 2004

worst song, played on ugliest guitar

Dick Trauma posted:

I thought it was good, despite devoting alot of screen time to horrendous hatchet and knife combat. If Korea is anything like Korean movies everyone must have hepatitis by now from the lakes of blood.

Sadly it's not. Sharp suited kung fu vendettas are vastly over represented in Korean cinema, compared to the number of instances you happen upon on the street.

I recommend A Bittersweet Life though. If you accept the twist, it's a very fun movie.

Twist: It's all a day dream.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

You should remove that spoiler from your post because it's completely wrong and it might put someone off from seeing it.

The dream that is being referred to is the one he has for a life outside of the gang. That is why it shows a scene from the beginning of the movie where he is shadow boxing his reflection while day dreaming. The proverb quoted is about how sad the monk is because he realises that his dream can never come true and the film is about how he ultimately couldn't escape from his life and live happily ever after with the girl. If it was a dream don't you think it would of had a happy ending instead of ending with him riddled with bullets?

Mister Chief fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Apr 11, 2013

Gringo Heisenberg
May 30, 2009

:dukedog:

Dick Trauma posted:

When it comes to blade violence this puts them all to shame. All of them. It's like they don't even know what guns are in Korea.

You should check out The Man from Nowhere. It's like a Korean Taken for grown ups, and has probably the best knife fight scene ever.

Also, you bastards should post in the South Korean Movie Megathread sometime! It needs more activity.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3525253&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

Hey, do you guys love minimalist stuff or hate it? I'm pretty sure I remember you all loving it.

http://www.h-57.com/shortology-movies-collection/

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Tears In A Vial posted:

Hey, do you guys love minimalist stuff or hate it? I'm pretty sure I remember you all loving it.

I'm too jaded to see this as anything more than an instruction for goatse.

There is nothing about any of these that I enjoy. At worst they're diagrams of spoilers. At best they're just lovely use of symbols present throughout the work.

colonel_korn
May 16, 2003

I go to pub trivia once a week and last week they had a category where you had to identify the movie based on minimalist posters (where the title of the movie had been photoshopped out). This one INFURIATED me (needless to say I didn't get it):

they're Reese's Pieces :ssj:

Slasherfan
Dec 2, 2003
IS IT WRONG THAT I ONCE WROTE A HORROR STORY ABOUT THE BUDDIES? YOU KNOW, THE TALKING PUPPIES?

Tears In A Vial posted:

Ring to Poop?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Mister Chief posted:

You (and everyone else) should watch A Bittersweet Life, starring Storm Shadow and from the director of The Last Stand. That may not sound so hot but you have to trust me on this, it's incredible.

It also has a really boring poster.

I watched this last night and I have to say that it was pretty good. I loved the image of the old woman silently mopping up blood as Sun-woo swayed suspended over her and the line when the grave diggers realize that Sun-woo has escaped and their operation is hosed.

Optimist with doubt
May 16, 2010

Scoop Lover

:vince:

he knows...
I kind of like the matrix one if only for the blue pill.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Tears In A Vial posted:

That first image after red pill looks like some sort of cockroach/man thing, like the Matrix is actually some overwrought adaptation of Metamorphosis.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Meltathon posted:

That first image after red pill looks like some sort of cockroach/man thing, like the Matrix is actually some overwrought adaptation of Metamorphosis.

Based on that diagram, I'd be taking the blue pill (which appears to enhance to recreation, food and sex) rather than that red pill which turns you into a giant, insane cockroach baby, who becomes violent and is eventually shot to death.

Wendell
May 11, 2003

Slasherfan posted:

Ring to Poop?

How on Earth do you draw this and not realize that it's ring to poop? Lawd awmighty.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Tears In A Vial posted:

Peter Jackson will take a shining treasure of a story and turn it to poop. Seems pretty accurate!

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Mister Chief posted:

You (and everyone else) should watch A Bittersweet Life, starring Storm Shadow and from the director of The Last Stand. That may not sound so hot but you have to trust me on this, it's incredible.

It also has a really boring poster.

It actually has one of my favorite posters.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

ravenkult posted:

It actually has one of my favorite posters.

Yep, was gonna post that one, absolutely love that shot.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
So things that are not movie posters, but are meant to look like them, are cool to post here, right?

Because Steam just showed me this masterpiece of human achievement.

These guys may not have latched onto the actual definition of 80's sci-fi, but I don't want anyone to tell them that.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Cleretic posted:

So things that are not movie posters, but are meant to look like them, are cool to post here, right?

These guys may not have latched onto the actual definition of 80's sci-fi, but I don't want anyone to tell them that.

I still have no idea what the gently caress this is. In no way does it look like Far Cry 3. So I don't know why it bears the Far Cry 3 name. But boy, does it look pretty.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It was a April Fools joke that was actually real and leaked out early, it's in the FC engine.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I still have no idea what the gently caress this is. In no way does it look like Far Cry 3. So I don't know why it bears the Far Cry 3 name. But boy, does it look pretty.

It has a trailer out now:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dofacvjRkc

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
It's also got Michael Biehn in it.

Ubisoft has lost their drat minds, and it is glorious.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So it's a cyberpunk GI Joe game? :stare:

I need to try this game...

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
This is good because usually video game April fools consists of 'awesome poo poo that will never be made'. At least this time they have the balls to actually see it through.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
I was definitely not expecting that to be so awesome.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Calling it now, this is going to be the new "zombies" in videogames.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Zombies take no effort to add to anything, this was actually clever, so I doubt that would happen.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Calling it now, this is going to be the new "zombies" in videogames.

It looks like making wacky spinoff DLC that's completely different in tone from the main game is already becoming A Thing. Red Dead Revolver had the one where they added zombies, Saints Row 3 was making DLC where you fight aliens and have superpowers that they're desperately trying to make into its own game now that THQ is bankrupt, and now Far Cry 3 is doing anachronistic GI Joe Cyberpunk.

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Developers making mods for their own games is a wonderful idea.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

I'm buying this because RoboCop gun.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
V/H/S's Facebook page is a goldmine of old horror VHS covers:

Terminal Entropy
Dec 26, 2012

Cleretic posted:

If Nicolas Winding Refn where to do a movie version, this would be the perfect poster for it.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Terminal Entropy posted:

If Nicolas Winding Refn where to do a movie version, this would be the perfect poster for it.

Are you one of those 80s Drive poster designers?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Not only was that funny but it's one of the only mock '80s things I've seen that did not suck.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

The title and the image on the front give away the whole mystery of this one.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Nicolas Winding Refn, famous for his constant celebration of garish 80s excess (see: pink cursive font in one of his movies).

Ez
Mar 26, 2007

Drink! Feck! Arse! Girls!

Supercar Gautier posted:

Nicolas Winding Refn, famous for his constant celebration of garish 80s excess (see: pink cursive font in one of his movies).

Yeah I hate the fact that people seem to think he owns the style of the 80s since e made one crappy movie with some neon in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Ez posted:

Yeah I hate the fact that people seem to think he owns the style of the 80s since e made one crappy movie with some neon in it.

Drive: A crappy movie with some neon in it.