Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Starsfan posted:

I think if Parise was still on his old contract, or even a reasonable one in the 6 million dollar range like some of the other guys that have been picked in the first round, he would have been the 4th or 5th best forward available. Pretty much all of the attributes you look for in a franchise player / leader are there, but that contract is just going to be such an anchor down the line and it's tough to look past that. His offensive production is going to drop as he moves into his 30's and that will be very rough on the Wild in the long run.

That is the downside, for sure. But I think he plays at a very high level for another five years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

Jordan7hm posted:

Yep, most of my top 5 goalies are still on the board. The only one taken so far is Lundqvist. I had Price around 6 or 7. Love the guy, but his numbers don't show me that he's a top 5 goalie (nor do I see it when I watch him play). He is a workhorse though. It does mean you don't need to really shore up with a backup, which is a nice luxury to have.

I'm curious to see how the rest of the goalies shake out. I'm always so leery going early on them in fantasy drafts; even when I do take them early it just seems so difficult to gauge how they're valued.

I think Price's age and contract work in his favour in a draft like this. He is only 25, so there's that allure that he's either is gonna get better or maintain his level of play. And, while he has the third largest cap hit for a goalie, it at least takes him through until he is 30. Everyone within a million and a half of him are older, and some have even longer deals.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I updated the spreadsheet with the last couple picks

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I noticed you didn't update their sign. I want a team that has good chemistry, astrologically. I can't have a Taurus on the same line as an Aquarius can I?! Boy would there be egg on my face.

edit: PS - I didn't add that category, why is it there?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Twin Cinema posted:

I think Price's age and contract work in his favour in a draft like this. He is only 25, so there's that allure that he's either is gonna get better or maintain his level of play. And, while he has the third largest cap hit for a goalie, it at least takes him through until he is 30. Everyone within a million and a half of him are older, and some have even longer deals.

I have no issue with his contract. I'm fine paying goalies who play 65 games, which Price can easily do. His age definitely does work in his favour, but I think he's past the period where he'll make large improvements to his game, so essentially you're banking on many more years of what he brings now. And what he brings now is very good, but there are guys who I think bring more. My #1 goalie is still on the board. I assume he'll be gone before I pick at 25, but if he's not I'll have a really tough decision to make.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Can the spreadsheet be added to the op?

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Yeah, someone link it here and I will add it.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amj_wGJYwFRYdEtqcm5pTXRlcmY5Mm1CRzE0NC1pVVE#gid=0

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

I have no issue with his contract. I'm fine paying goalies who play 65 games, which Price can easily do. His age definitely does work in his favour, but I think he's past the period where he'll make large improvements to his game, so essentially you're banking on many more years of what he brings now. And what he brings now is very good, but there are guys who I think bring more. My #1 goalie is still on the board. I assume he'll be gone before I pick at 25, but if he's not I'll have a really tough decision to make.

It's tough to make an argument when I can't name other names, especially when I don't know who you're #1 is. But, Lundqvist is the clear #1 for me, whereas I group Price with the next guys on my list, and then Quick is grouped with my number five guy. However, the guy I have at five is actually my number two ranked goalie on the league.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
It's crazy to think Price won't improve at 25. That used to be the age most goalies entered the NHL. Not that I think his numbers are going to rocket upward, as so much of that is team-dependent.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
So I'm probably going to happy hour/to watch hockey, but I promise I will make my pick tonight if it gets to me (it better :argh:). I will check it on my phone periodically and at the very least will do a low-content crappy post of who I'm drafting.

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum

canuckanese posted:

I noticed you didn't update their sign. I want a team that has good chemistry, astrologically. I can't have a Taurus on the same line as an Aquarius can I?! Boy would there be egg on my face.

edit: PS - I didn't add that category, why is it there?

I added it so I could call Malkin an ugly ape.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Yeah, well, your favourite player is even uglier. :colbert:

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
I think they are equally ugly.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Austrian mook is online but has PM's off.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

i am not so sure posted:

I know who you're picking.

I'm kind of torn. I have a few logical choices and a few happy fun time choices.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

If I don't hear from the Ducks by the time the Isles game is over I am picking for him.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

On all day, doesn't pick, now offline. Consensus pick time. Kinda disappointing.

The Ducks select Ryan Getzlaf.

Even though his contract is really heavy, aside from last year he's consistently played a mean game and finished a PPG player. He's only 27 and has all the makings of a cornerstone #1 center.

Alright, T-Bone, just pick him.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

*looks from side to side*

*squints*

*squints again*

/in massive Boston accent

We'd just like to thank New Jersey and their organization for their hospitality in hosting this event. With the 20th overall pick, the Florida Panthers select...out of Brampton, Ontario - Tyler Seguin - C.

As much as we liked *coughs* other players on the board, we feel that Tyler has his best years in front of him, and is maturing into a wonderful player in this league.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I was very, very surprised he wasn't taken in the top ten.

e: I feel like if this draft was done before the season started, he would have been.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
There were a lot of really awesome players on the board that I really wanted to pick that I can't talk about right now but you probably know at least one of them but Seguin's contract and his age and everything else just made him too hard to pass up. He ain't playing 17 a night for this Panthers team. We're gonna ride him for 20 and hopefully enjoy a nice PPG pace for years to come.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Good pick! I was looking at Seguin for mine. I'm still relatively sober so come on pick 21! I will phone post my pick to keep it moving and fill it out more later.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Wow. Surprised. Seguin is a great great pick but I figured you were leaning elsewhere.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Seguin has a phenomenal contract and he's only going to get better.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Phoenix was PMed two picks ago to be ready.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

ianss, your link to the spreadsheet in the OP doesn't work. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amj_wGJYwFRYdEtqcm5pTXRlcmY5Mm1CRzE0NC1pVVE&usp=sharing You need to right click copy link address!

Anyway, updated

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Twin Cinema posted:

I was very, very surprised he wasn't taken in the top ten.

I would have taken 1-11 over him, and *maybe* Lundqvist.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

myron cope posted:

ianss, your link to the spreadsheet in the OP doesn't work. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0Amj_wGJYwFRYdEtqcm5pTXRlcmY5Mm1CRzE0NC1pVVE&usp=sharing You need to right click copy link address!

Anyway, updated

Done.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

i am not so sure posted:

On all day, doesn't pick, now offline. Consensus pick time. Kinda disappointing.

The Ducks select Ryan Getzlaf.

Even though his contract is really heavy, aside from last year he's consistently played a mean game and finished a PPG player. He's only 27 and has all the makings of a cornerstone #1 center.

Alright, T-Bone, just pick him.

Good player, was on my list. No obvious picks at this stage.

Hefty contract, but he shows up in the playoffs.

e: Seguin is a beast. I'd love to watch him in a different system, on a different team.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

T-Bone posted:

I would have taken 1-11 over him, and *maybe* Lundqvist.

I probably would have taken him eighth, but replace Giroux with Toews.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

There was a period a couple years when I thought Getzlaf was a top four or five center in the league. He's still one of the best. His shot release is filthy, but he doesn't use it enough. If he shot more he would be a 35-40 goal player.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I wonder if this thread wouldn't move quicker if we were in the main SAS forum.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
yeah uh i had to be pmed because i thought the thread just fell off the page due to inactivity. some people still prob dont know that its in here

what im saying is, kill that guy who didnt pick

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Verviticus posted:

yeah uh i had to be pmed because i thought the thread just fell off the page due to inactivity. some people still prob dont know that its in here

what im saying is, kill that guy who didnt pick

But I've been PMing people.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I was holding out some dumb hope I'd pick tonight but I am already up way past my old man bedtime

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

before we announce our pick we'd like to address the rumours this franchise has been sold to an investment group from seattle. as we've explained in the past the nhl is commited to the cities of phoenix and glendale and there is no sale or move in process

we're proud to select a young man who will be an ambassador to the community and the focus of our marketing in the state of arizona for years to come: jamie benn

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

the talent deficit posted:

before we announce our pick we'd like to address the rumours this franchise has been sold to an investment group from seattle. as we've explained in the past the nhl is commited to the cities of phoenix and glendale and there is no sale or move in process

we're proud to select a young man who will be an ambassador to the community and the focus of our marketing in the state of arizona for years to come: jamie benn

This is a very good pick I hate you. Might have made mine easier at least. Come on down Nashville.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
To Draft a Predator

With the 22nd overall pick I select... Nicklas Backstrom

Position: Center
Cap hit: 6.7 million, through 2019-2020

Nick Backstrom is a fantastic first line center for a decent (although maybe a bit much) price. He's well worth it. Is his production due to Ovechkin? Maybe. But Backstrom has also produced when he isn't paired with the Great 8. A PPG player for a fairly reasonable price. Backstrom is a great player, and with the right pieces around him I think he will find just as much success with Nashville. He's scored 30 goals before, and he's also a great playmaker. He's the kind of center you can build a team around, and he'll be an integral piece for us going forward.

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 04:07 on Apr 12, 2013

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Backstrom's a good pick.

Benn, I think, would have fallen a bit to the second round, though he's still a good player to build a team around.

Jordan7hm and the Blackhawks are up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Blackhawks are happy to select the soon to be widely acclaimed best goalie in the league, Tuuka Rask.

The only reason Rask hasn't been a starter for the last two years is because he played behind a guy who put up one of the greatest goaltending seasons of all time. He lost his starter's job after putting up ridiculously good regular season numbers but only pretty good playoff numbers in his first real season. Since then he's been a model citizen, sitting behind a great goalie and honing his craft. His worst NHL season is a .918 save percentage. I'm not a huge believer in building with goaltenders, but there are some guys you make an exception for, and Rask is one of them.

Also he is a nutjob. Which is a positive quality in goaltenders.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FUVGz0MVyKI

• Locked thread