Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Great pick. I was tempted to pick Tuukka since goalies seem to be a hot commodity so far. He's on a good contract for now and is an RFA next year. Reasonably you could expect him to pick up a contract worth 5-5.5 mil. He's only 25 too. Great guy to build from the net out with. Plus the guy hates to lose, which is a big plus in my book.

Fake edit: Also updated the Phoenix and Nashville picks on the spreadsheet

Real edit: Added Rask

VJeff and the Detroit Red Wings on the clock

Jamwad Hilder fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Apr 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Hmmm interesting. Everyone is really going for youth right now with their first picks (outside of like Datsyuk). I wonder when the franchise veterans will start being taken.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
It's still early. There's a lot of young players available who will make an immediate impact. I'd expect mid-second round/third round before you start seeing that veteran presence starting to be more important.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

T-Bone posted:

Hmmm interesting. Everyone is really going for youth right now with their first picks (outside of like Datsyuk). I wonder when the franchise veterans will start being taken.

OV, Parise and Getzlaf are all 27-28. That's several years past an elite forward's "peak" years (23-24). They're firmly entrenched as veterans.

I don't think the real "vets" will start going until much later. Nobody builds around guys who are trailing off. Except Calgary.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The Detroit Red Wings are very happy to be here and Mike Babcock in particular is the most excited he's been in weeks to make this pick.

I haven't been able to wipe this smile off my face all day.

With the 24th overall pick, the Detroit Red Wings select...C - Eric Staal.

Eric Staal is, by my measure, one of two main reasons why Carolina has been able to get any hold on to relevance they've had in the past several years, including their Stanley Cup victory in 2006, the other being...a guy I don't think I can mention by the rules of this thread 'cause he hasn't been drafted yet. Eric Staal has been nothing short of phenomenal in the playoffs over his career, scoring 43 points in 43 career games, including 28 points in 25 games in the Hurricanes' run to the Cup in '06. Save his rookie season, Staal has not once failed to score 70 or more points in a full NHL season (once managing a 100 point season in 05-06), which speaks greatly to his consistency and durability. He currently sits at 7th overall in points and is consistently averaging over 20:00 TOI per game. He's an elite center, a two-way player, a leader, and he's still pretty young, at the age of only 28.

He does have a pretty huge contract, carrying an 8.25m cap hit until 2015-16. The contract initially gave me pause, but if you want elite talent, you gotta pay for it, and Staal is worth every dollar.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and he's Triple Gold. Triple Gold players own all of the bones.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Verviticus posted:

yeah uh i had to be pmed because i thought the thread just fell off the page due to inactivity. some people still prob dont know that its in here

what im saying is, kill that guy who didnt pick

Don't you people know how to subscribe to threads and use the UCP, gently caress's sake.

I don't really get Benn, is he that good? I thought he was having no better a season than the rest of the Stars and there seem to be both more substantive and sexy picks available.

Rask seems like the best young starter available so I'm not surprised to see him go.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Benn is a monstrous playoff performer who has put up close to PPG as a 21-23 year old on a not very good series of Dallas teams.

Seriously though, his playoff stats in the CHL and AHL (as a 20 year old rookie)... though admittedly one who had played in the NHL already) are absurd.

Also my pick was between Rask and Staal. If he wasn't in Carolina Staal would get so much more hype (he gets a lot anyway).

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

By the time it gets back to me, my goalies are going to suck.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Rask was my number three goalie, pretty much tied with Price. Thought he would have gone before Quick for sure

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

I don't know that I like the Eric Staal pick, but then again I don't know who else I would have gone with.

fake edit: no I found a couple guys. Still not a terrible pick or anything.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

myron cope posted:

I don't know that I like the Eric Staal pick, but then again I don't know who else I would have gone with.

fake edit: no I found a couple guys. Still not a terrible pick or anything.

If you have PMs, I'd like to hear who. I had a couple of other guys I was considering alongside Staal, but I eventually went with my gut.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i think jamie benn is the best young center that doesn't have a ridiculous contract. it doesn't really show on bad dallas teams with nothing to play for but he was born to win and will chew through your facemask to do it

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
Benn is a great pick for the price, a really good player on a slumping team right now. Certainly a guy worth building a franchise around.

I have done some scouting and have an idea who I'm looking at when I come up. With my luck the next couple picks will me made in rapid succession and I'll oversleep and miss my first pick.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
Huh. I guess I have to be the one to say that I think Jamie Benn was picked too high.

This year has soured him for me a bit. We Dallas fans were hopeful that he could make the transition to center and compete with the other top line centers in our division, but it is now apparent that the defensive side of his game is not good enough to handle that responsibility. Most fans I know are in favor of moving him back to wing and trying to find a two way center to play on his line and cover some of the shortcomings.

He's still likely to be close to a ppg player over the prime years of his career, but I don't consider him to be a franchise player. I was optimistic of potentially picking up one of those in the draft this year but then the stupid Stars had to go and start winning games after we dumped all our talented upcoming UFA's.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I expected more angst out of this thread so far, like the 'Playa Haters Ball' sketch from Chappelle Show.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Boomer The Cannon posted:

I expected more angst out of this thread so far, like the 'Playa Haters Ball' sketch from Chappelle Show.

I assume after the first round we'll do a review of it and poo poo on each other's poor decisions.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
Now I kinda wish I were in this with a late pick because the player I have in mind still isn't picked yet. Any who hasn't made thei pick yet who wanna drop out?

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Rutkowski posted:

Now I kinda wish I were in this with a late pick because the player I have in mind still isn't picked yet. Any who hasn't made thei pick yet who wanna drop out?

To be honest, I was hoping for a pick later than 4th. Not that I don't like my Malkin pick, but picking later in the draft allows you to get a better idea of what the group is valuing.

It's weird because with the MLB version of this we did last year, I picked 4th in that too (though we were allowed to trade picks, so I moved down to 17th and only wound up with the NL MVP :smug:)

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Sorry about that guys, I was at work and I didn't check this thread before I left. I was hoping to grab Weber but I'd probably have gone with Getz as he was taken. Also, who was it that said an offense mans prime was 22-25? That seems kind of silly. Perhaps with a speed based player but Getz has just recently started to really come together and I couldn't be happier with this pick.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Good morning USA!

"No more pussyfooting around. We need a centre to build this team around. We pick Dean McAmmond. PSYCH we pick Matt Duchene."

Caphit $3.5M, signed through 2014.

mennoknight fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Apr 12, 2013

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Austrian mook posted:

Sorry about that guys, I was at work and I didn't check this thread before I left. I was hoping to grab Weber but I'd probably have gone with Getz as he was taken. Also, who was it that said an offense mans prime was 22-25? That seems kind of silly. Perhaps with a speed based player but Getz has just recently started to really come together and I couldn't be happier with this pick.

Its a bit older than I thought. I was sure I had seen 24 somewhere, but this article indicates 25. http://buddbailey.blogspot.ca/2012/07/peak-performance.html?m=1

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I'd say I'm in my offensive prime right now - you bunch of crapeaters.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Looks to be around 25, historically

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Wow, I wake up to a bunch of picks. Some baffling. I'll update the OP later with the new picks.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Hoping my next pick survives til 39, I'd be shocked if someone doesn't snatch him up though.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Yeah I doubt I'm getting who I want before he's snatched up.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Lightning/Chairman Wao are on the clock.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I thought Duchene would fall a bit more. Not because I don't think he's a first round guy (I do), but because I thought people might forget about him. I don't know if I would have picked him sooner, but it's pretty easy to make the case for him to before 20.

If this draft had trades, I definitely would have traded down from #2. I figure Hall would have probably been picked around the 7-10 spot (although, having seen who was picked there, and seeing how far Seguin fall, it may have been even further). I just really wanted Hall.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Twin Cinema posted:

I thought Duchene would fall a bit more. Not because I don't think he's a first round guy (I do), but because I thought people might forget about him. I don't know if I would have picked him sooner, but it's pretty easy to make the case for him to before 20.

If this draft had trades, I definitely would have traded down from #2. I figure Hall would have probably been picked around the 7-10 spot (although, having seen who was picked there, and seeing how far Seguin fall, it may have been even further). I just really wanted Hall.

In 3 years, Hall would be a top 5 guy in a draft like this. It's just that he's young and still developing.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Austrian mook posted:

In 3 years, Hall would be a top 5 guy in a draft like this. It's just that he's young and still developing.

Taylor Hall was a top 2 guy in this draft. Twin Cinema took him second.

As for Getzlaf for you, I did consider that you're a Ducks fan. Ultimately I decided he was the best available, but I did note that you might want him over another player. Plus there have been 6 picks since Getz and the other choice hasn't been taken yet, so I guess people agree.

e: And there's another player I'm surprised we haven't seen yet. Obviously can't say who it is...

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Austrian mook posted:

As you can probably tell, I disagree with this. But, I think I am evaluating players differently than a few others are in this thread. My top-5 was Crosby, Hall, Tavares, Stamkos, and Seguin.

As I said in my post, I think Hall is already an elite player, but is vastly underappreciated. I think he's taking the next step next season, as in, I think he's not only going to be top-5 in the league, but recognized by fans and media as being so.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 12, 2013

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I couldn't find a better #1 centre, and he carries a very reasonable contract. People forget about Duchene because that team in Denver is just so so so bad. I see him breaking 90 points within two years.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
We were doing so good with speedy picks, and now this.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

mennoknight posted:

I couldn't find a better #1 centre, and he carries a very reasonable contract. People forget about Duchene because that team in Denver is just so so so bad. I see him breaking 90 points within two years.

A better center under 25 or so, you mean? I think it's pretty easy to argue that ____ and ____ are better now...

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Tampa is up next, he has PM's off. If he doesn't come into the thread in a couple of hours, his pick will be consensus'd. I wish people would at least communicate, but this can't be a priority in everyday life, so hopefully he comes in and makes his pick.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

i am not so sure posted:

Tampa is up next, he has PM's off. If he doesn't come into the thread in a couple of hours, his pick will be consensus'd. I wish people would at least communicate, but this can't be a priority in everyday life, so hopefully he comes in and makes his pick.

I'm here. Give me a bit of time to contemplate and debate with my co-GM.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

eXXon posted:

A better center under 25 or so, you mean? I think it's pretty easy to argue that ____ and ____ are better now...

Yeah, young. There are definitely guys who are better today - but not guys I'm interested in building a franchise around.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

mennoknight posted:

Seems like a decent pick to me. He wouldn't have been my choice in your place but he was on my "top center picks" list.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I have a boner thinking about who I could pick next, so don't screw it up anyone of the next 9 people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Twin Cinema posted:

As you can probably tell, I disagree with this. But, I think I am evaluating players differently than a few others are in this thread. My top-5 was Crosby, Hall, Tavares, Stamkos, and Seguin.

I won't be a virtual-homer and shoehorn Karlsson into this discussion, but come on son! No Malkin on that list?

• Locked thread