Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
So when does the Caesar spin-off start? I want to see some gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

It sucks when a show like this ends. I'm going to spend the next few hours honestly just going through the emotions of this show. This is a show that everyone should watch, it's just that loving good. I'm going to go through all of this again in a few months with Breaking Bad too.

Pinwiz11
Jan 26, 2009

I'm becom-, I'm becom-,
I'm becoming
Tana in, Tana in my mind.

I was sad, and then I realized what they were doing with the credits and I got sadder, and then I saw Rapeface and I cheered, and then Andy showed up and I completely lost it.

I'll miss you, you glorious show.

(Now, announce the cast of your next series. You know you want to bring actors over. You know you want to. Caesar and Gannicus on the same side. DO IT.)

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

Orange crush momma is a laugh laugh laugh.

I want to see a Caesar spin-off just so I can see that smirky little fucker get stabbed repeatedly.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene
Blown the gently caress away. This show is mind-blowing.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

LazyDivey posted:

I want to see a Caesar spin-off just so I can see that smirky little fucker get stabbed repeatedly.

You do not want to see Crassus get gold shoved down his throat?

BlackArtistik
Feb 19, 2011

Thanks to a well placed storm I missed the first 30 minutes, but that last half hour... HOLY poo poo, what an ending.

Gaussian
Sep 20, 2001

I'll give you a box of chocolates if you kill me.

Nap Ghost
I don't think I've ever seen a show where the closing loving credits made me fistpump.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Pinwiz11 posted:

(Now, announce the cast of your next series. You know you want to bring actors over. You know you want to. Caesar and Gannicus on the same side. DO IT.)

I demand that the next series feature Manu Bennett and Liam McIntyre fighting aliens in space with lasers and robots and slow motion and nude ladies.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Gonz posted:

I demand that the next series feature Manu Bennett and Liam McIntyre fighting aliens in space with lasers and robots and slow motion and nude ladies.

Manu has a regular job in Canada now working on Arrow.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I always assumed Horse-Cock was more of a nickname.

LazyDivey
Jun 18, 2004

Orange crush momma is a laugh laugh laugh.

bobkatt013 posted:

You do not want to see Crassus get gold shoved down his throat?

Is that what happened to him in the end? I did not know that :hist101:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

LazyDivey posted:

Is that what happened to him in the end? I did not know that :cheer:

And his decapitated head got used as a theater prop.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

LazyDivey posted:

Is that what happened to him in the end? I did not know that :hist101:

Probably not, but it's the legend, so it's what the show would do!

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

any chance of a gif of the andy part in the credits? i missed it.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

I was really hoping for a flash-forward of Crassus' and Caesar's deaths, but I guess that was unrealistic with the spinoff potential.

limeincoke
Jul 3, 2005

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

nooneofconsequence posted:

I was really hoping for a flash-forward of Crassus' and Caesar's deaths, but I guess that was unrealistic with the spinoff potential.

I'm assuming the spin-off would just jump a head a few years to the first trium, and be a more-entertaining version of Rome?

Hibbloes
Jun 9, 2007
Yo

Spartacus: Good Guys Lose.

I wonder what would have happened to Kore if Caesar had also spoken up about Tiberius. Crassus had a great "oh gently caress what have i done" when he realized why she had left.

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

this thread moves so slow for a season finale. this show was severely underwatched for how good it is. a loving shame.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Zotix posted:

this thread moves so slow for a season finale. this show was severely underwatched for how good it is. a loving shame.

Not really. The smaller the thread the least likely it will turn into another Game of Thrones or Walking Dead.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Welp, great ending to the show. Loved all the call backs and appreciated how they were able to wrap everything up more or less. Had wished early on that we might see how Crassus and his son end up getting killed some years later, but I don't think that would have worked with the ending we got.

Over all I thought the series handled the story fairly well. Before this last season, I had hoped that the material we got this year and the material fastforwarded between seasons 2 and 3 would actually span around 2-3 more seasons instead. Even with it all compressed together though, I think it was handled really well. There wasn't ever a lull which helped keep momentum all the way through to the finale.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
So loving sad this show is done. I marked the gently caress out when Spartacus countered the sword grab and had Crassus dead to rights. Now we all know that even half killed by fighting 10 men right before, Spartacus was going to kill that motherfucker.

Stupid mooks and their spears :mad:

Gannicus' cock will rage on, forever

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

His cock will rage on in our hearts.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Some sites are posting finale thoughts with the creators and actors, I'll update this post as I find them:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/04/12/spartacus-series-finale-steven-deknight/
http://insidetv.ew.com/2013/04/12/spartacus-liam-mcintyre-series-finale/
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/04/13/spartacus-creator-steven-deknight-discusses-the-finale-who-lived-and-who-died-and-a-potential-spinoff
http://www.tvguide.com/News/spartacus-Series-Finale-1063972.aspx
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/12/spartacus-finale-steven-deknight_n_3071995.html?utm_hp_ref=maureen-ryan
http://traffic.libsyn.com/talkingtvwithryanandryan/Spartacus_Finale_Podcast.mp3

Teek fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 13, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

This is the best part

quote:

EW: That was a really nice touch with the final credits showing all the characters from the entire run of the show. Where did that idea come from?
DeKNIGHT: That was [exec producer] Rob Tapert’s idea, and I thought that was absolutely brilliant. He really, really wanted to give a nod to everybody who had had a speaking part on Spartacus and we also wanted to find a way to pay tribute to Andy in those final moments. And I’ve always loved the end credits on this show and I thought that was just the perfect way to go out.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Andy "I AM SPARTACUS" was so :unsmith: Liam really brought it in this final season, but Andy 4 Eva.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

That was awesome.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Now that is how you put a period on a series.

Good lord did Lugo go out like a monster. On fire, still hammering away and screaming gently caress YOUR MOTHERS! :black101:

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Holy hell I am crying like a bitch over here. Andy in the credits hit me right in the soul.

It was a good run, guys. My mom got me interested in the show toward the beginning, and I popped in sometime toward the end of the first Season and this is been a Grade A+ thread all the way through. In a way I'm glad it never got stickied, because

bobkatt013 posted:

Not really. The smaller the thread the least likely it will turn into another Game of Thrones or Walking Dead.

would be the absolute worst thing that could of happened. I look forward to seeing you guys around; I might check out DaVinci's Demons, and I will definitely be in whatever DeKnight's next joint is.

Cute n Popular
Oct 12, 2012
That was so incredibly tense and satisfying, I don't think I've ever been so emotionally invested in a show since The Shield. The lack of popularity was really a shame though, hopefully it becomes a cult favorite and we'll see Gannicus, Saxa and Lugo fight space aliens soon.

Cute n Popular fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Apr 13, 2013

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

All our cocks shall rage on in the afterlife brothers!

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

For some reason I can't get the idea out of my head that Crassus is personally gonna nail Kore to a cross.

Sup :smug:

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 13, 2013

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

"There is no greater victory than to fall from this life a free man"

I held it together through the battle, I held it together through Gannicus' crucifixion, but drat.... Just drat.

Toilet Terror
Aug 5, 2006
Swirlie
Perfect way for the show to go out. Emotionally drained as all hell but what a ride it was.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Well that was an amazing finale. I'll miss the hell out of this show.

Someone please .gif Crassus' attempted finishing move getting REVERSED by the awesomeness that is Spartacus.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

^^^https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_wEs9x7G3w

:cry:

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

I did let out a pretty audible HOLKY gently caress when it looked like Crassus was gonna run Spartacus through then my brains exploded out the back of my head when Spartacus caught it.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

Well that's my story.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE posted:

I did let out a pretty audible HOLKY gently caress when it looked like Crassus was gonna run Spartacus through then my brains exploded out the back of my head when Spartacus caught it.
Yeah that was just so perfect. The emotional range I felt in those few seconds was ridiculous. Went from depressingly resigned to Spartacus' death to amazingly hyped and hopeful when he reversed it, back to crushed when he got speared.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Me and my two homeboys were like "OH!" and leaned forward when Crassus started pulling off his finishing move and then it was incoherent hollering when Spartacus reversed it. Easily the coolest loving move in the entire show and the amount of pure symbolism and meaning behind the whole thing was incredible. The entire show was leading up to the reversal and the second Spartacus pulled it off, he had won. He had truly defeated Crassus.

Sometime between the reversal and the spears, our bowl of chips was launched to the other side of the room.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
Man, I don't really even have the words. That was just awesome. This was one of the greatest shows I've ever had the pleasure of watching. They handled everything so well, even with the unfortunate compression. As others have said the emotional catharsis is on the level of The Shield and Six Feet Under, which is really the highest tier as far as series finales go.

Andy at the end there was just perfect. Really. So well done, guys. This show is going to stay with me for a really long time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

That is another thing I respect about the show. Andy was always a presence. They tried to avoid showing him but it was always done respectfully. The fact that the last shot was of him reminded you that he may be gone but will never be forgotten.

• Locked thread