Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Um, it's Drewbert Doughty.

I'll come out and say I think the Lehtonen pick is bad, there are at least 8 goalies still available that I think are better than him and at least some of them have similar contracts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star

Thufir posted:

Um, it's Drewbert Doughty.

I'll come out and say I think the Lehtonen pick is bad, there are at least 8 goalies still available that I think are better than him and at least some of them have similar contracts.

Statistically? No, not really and pretty much every goalie of a similar contract, with similar stats has a "team" in front of them or something.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
Doughty is a guy I thought would go in the first round. He's loving terrific.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jordan7hm posted:

Karlsson is far and away the best ES defenseman in terms of offense.

(He had more ES points than Letang had total points last year.)

You neglected to mention that Letang only played 51 games and had 42 points in those games. Extrapolate that out and he's still behind Karlsson in total points but not by a huge amount.

e: Didn't see your edit. Well anyways I'm probably being a homer

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Jordan7hm posted:

A thing: he's expensive. ______ and _______ are still on the board.

i picked keith because there really weren't any defencemen left that gave better value. 5.5m isn't even remotely expensive

edit: oh yeah thats a bunch of players we 'might want to draft' ugh i hate that stupid rule

edit2: for right now keith is a top 5 defenceman. he's better than pietrangelo, he's better than doughty right now and he's definitely better than letang. he's a lot older and won't be as good in the future, but in a couple years, he'll be a lot cheaper too

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Apr 13, 2013

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

mennoknight posted:

Drewsef Pouty Doughty. Welcome. We have finally filled the d-man gap in Calgary that's been empty since Steve Chiasson died.
Son of a bitch.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Aaaauaugh I was hoping Doughty and Bergeron would drop. :(

I'm next, right? Snaking drafts are confusing.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

VJeff posted:

Yep. You then me.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

VJeff posted:

Yeah, you're up

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Drew Doughty is expensive, and I waffled between him and another really expensive forward for a while, but the drop off between a #1 dman now and if I'd waited until 50 more dudes were gone was too big to ignore.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

mennoknight posted:

Drew Doughty is expensive, and I waffled between him and another really expensive forward for a while, but the drop off between a #1 dman now and if I'd waited until 50 more dudes were gone was too big to ignore.

yeah there wasnt going to be another #1 available that far down. it was a good pick where you were

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Okay, I'll effortpost once the Wings/Hawks game is over, but, I'm taking RW - Ilya Kovalchuk. Insanely talented, as a wise man once told me, a monster in all 3 zones. He eats minutes like Snorlax eats nachos. I almost took him with my first round pick before going with Staal because the length of Kovy's contract spooked me a bit (and I wanted a center), but he basically just fell into my lap by dropping this far and I'm not gonna turn my nose up at that, crazy-long contract or no.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Verviticus posted:

yeah there wasnt going to be another #1 available that far down. it was a good pick where you were

Also, I disagree with your claim that Keith's better right now...Drew is so adaptable to play any kind of game, and the kind of game Darryl makes him play lately isn't as awe inspiring. For my money, he's he best all-around defenceman in the nhl.

mennoknight fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Apr 13, 2013

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

VJeff posted:

Okay, I'll effortpost once the Wings/Hawks game is over, but, I'm taking RW - Ilya Kovalchuk. Insanely talented, as a wise man once told me, a monster in all 3 zones. He eats minutes like Snorlax eats nachos. I almost took him with my first round pick before going with Staal because the length of Kovy's contract spooked me a bit (and I wanted a center), but he basically just fell into my lap by dropping this far and I'm not gonna turn my nose up at that, crazy-long contract or no.

So Kovalchuck can just be double shifted so you need one less forward right? :v:

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Austrian mook posted:

So Kovalchuck can just be double shifted so you need one less forward right? :v:

It's not drafting hard. It's drafting smart. :pseudo:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

VJeff posted:

Great pick. Even better because you made my choice for me.

There are active 7 players in the NHL with 500+ points who have managed to maintain a PPG pace. Kovalchuk was #7 on that list. My pick, Jason Spezza, is #6.

Sadly, because of his back issues he's only good for ~70 games a year on average, but during those 70 games, he is one of the best centers in the league. He's also a fantastic playoff player, maintaining his PPG pace in the playoffs.

I'm going to need center depth with Spezza, but I'm fine with that. (Maybe this is the surgery that fixes him and lets him dress for entire seasons at a time? :sigh:)

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
poo poo I hoped one of Kovy or Spezza would fall back to me.

E: So it's Phoenix's turn right now?

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 13, 2013

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

FINALLY, Spezza is the dude I was talking about.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Yeah, I was hoping Spezza would be available by #48 as well. Surprised he fell that far, honestly.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Alright. This pick is from my phone so no pictures. I'll be the first to say this pick may be a bit a reach but I really like this guy and I dont wanna miss out on him. I pick:

Oliver Ekman-Larsson

Holy poo poo I love this dude. He's only 21 and he's signed for 5.5 mil for several years. He logs 25 minutes a night, is a legit first pairing dman; and has a great offensive and defensive skillset. Furthermore, his defensive style is not physical, but based on good positioning and stick skills, which should ensure durability and years of productivity. I think he's way underrated because not a lot of people watch Phoenix, but he's only going to get better. Did I already mention he's only 21?

PS- apparently I'm team Sweden.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

You're killing me here.

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
OEL was a guy I was seriously considering. I was just hoping/praying he'd somehow fall all the way to late 3rd round.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
loving hell, I was gonna get Kovalchuck or OEL. Dammit. Well this is awkward.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
yeah, Ekman-Larsson is one of the top young defenceman in the game, he's had a massive breakout season this year on a poor Phoenix team and is great value in the 2nd round.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
OEL's legit as hell. There's maybe one or two defenseman I'd take ahead of him but at that age and cap hit, it's a great pick.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Guess it wasn't much of a reach after all.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

VJeff posted:

OEL's legit as hell. There's maybe one or two defenseman I'd take ahead of him but at that age and cap hit, it's a great pick.

Both of those players Karlson.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Honestly Karlsson and Pietrangelo are the only young dmen I'd take over OEL so this worked out great for me.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i already had my OEL pick all done up to post :(

I'll be back with my pick asap

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Someone PM mozza for his turn. I'm pretty sure T-Bone and Austrianmook are here so he'll be up really soon.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Austrian mook posted:

Both of those players Karlson.

Thinking about it, I'm pretty sure I'm dead wrong on one of them, but either way, I'll say who they were once they're picked.

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
OEL is great, I considered him for #29 but ultimately decided that I could pick up some other good defensemen later on. One of the major factors in picking Ladd over Bergeron was injuries - taking a guy who is out with a concussion, with a previous history of them, just seemed like it could turn out poorly. I have a few D in my sights, but lower priced ones who don't have the same offensive output, but are strong defensively.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

mennoknight posted:

Also, I disagree with your claim that Keith's better right now...Drew is so adaptable to play any kind of game, and the kind of game Darryl makes him play lately isn't as awe inspiring. For my money, he's he best all-around defenceman in the nhl.

they're both really like that. doughty is a #1 just as keith or weber or any other #1 - keith is cheaper for better. unless there's serious discrepancy (like karlsson's offensive potential vs another more defensive defenceman) i just think - "who would i rather in a [#1 D] - Barker pairing". keith is, in my mind, more able to carry as literal of an anchor that you can find in the NHL than doughty

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

i'm excited to announce the coyotes finally have settled their ownership issues and have been sold to entertainment and energy magnates robert and cecil terwilliger

they are expected to rename the franchise the frasier's and relocate the team to seattle for the upcoming season. thank god we can finally get out of this godforsaken desert. cya losers

that said, we're thrilled to select with our second pick of the draft a young man we expect to anchor our defense for the next decade, kevin shattenkirk

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

this was a really hard pick. i thought i'd get doughty or ekman-larsson or possibly letang here. i was also hoping duchene would fall here but i didn't think that was realistic. there's a bunch of other dudes i expect people will argue would have been better picks, but i have reservations about all of them and i think shattenkirk is only the tiniest bit behind pietrangelo and is cheaper (for now) anyways

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

With the 40th overall pick, the Florida Panthers are proud to select, out of Burnaby, British Columbia, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins.

We feel that with the structure of our team, this player was the best fit. He and Tyler will not only give our fans hope for today, but tomorrow.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Thought long and hard about some of the star vets on the board, but couldn't pass up RNH and Seguin out there for the next 10 years. Hopefully I can surround them with some high priced veteran talent as this goes on and other teams run into cap trouble while I still have a lot of room.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
With Getzlaf already eating at a sizable portion of my cap, I almost don't want to do it, but I'm going to select Ryan Suter. I'm surprised he fell this far honestly. He's a top 5 Defenseman right now and thou his contract is big, it's probably what most of you are gonna end up paying for the younger guys, and I don't have to worry about that.

Suter is a no. 1 guy and I thought he would go in the first round, in fact, had I been able, I might have selected him there. A strong no. 1 centre and no. 1 D-man is a great core and I'm excited to move forward in this draft with the players I have. Now just to somehow stay below cap moving forward...

e: that puts mozza up next. Has he been on today? I don't think I've seen him.

e2: I was born in the same hospital as Nuge so that's something. Pretty good picks overal.

Austrian mook fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Apr 13, 2013

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Thought about Suter, probably would have taken him if I was doing more of a veteran team. He's a great pick. loving gobbles minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

gonna say i expected more words from a man of few words like you, tbone

edit: mook put a picture or bold the pick or something so it's a bit easier to parse imo

• Locked thread