Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Lynkericious posted:

I sincerely doubt it. It's just far more likely she pauses to put what she wants to say together in her head before saying it. People who has problems speaking do this.

She also said exactly this. Like when we got introduced to her.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Opinion Haver
Apr 9, 2007

Einander posted:

It would be incredibly difficult to remote-control a robot and make it do human gestures correctly. That would require a massive number of movable joints and articulation. Monobear can come off as a little janky and weird -- he's a robot bear. Any human-shaped robot controlled on the fly like that with anything near modern technology is going to be so deep in the Uncanny Valley that people will think she's suffering from brain degeneration.

Did you miss the part in the first game where Chihiro wrote Alter Ego all by themself on a laptop?

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry
Can't get enough DR speculation? Well, have all the crazy theories you could ever want right here: http://westergaard.eu/batshit.php

Using advanced artificial intelligence (drawing random numbers) and world-class research (superficially skimming some of the pages of this thread), I came up with a sophisticated program that is able to generate perfectly valid DR theories with perfectly good nonsense arguments.

E: It's probably better not to blindly post generated theories. Randomly generated sentences are fun, but probably not adding a ton to the speculation that :f5: on the linked page cannot handle. :)

klafbang fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 13, 2013

kiffkin
Feb 13, 2007

Fool! Women called Nyla are always spies!

klafbang posted:

Can't get enough DR speculation? Well, have all the crazy theories you could ever want right here: http://westergaard.eu/batshit.php

Using advanced artificial intelligence (drawing random numbers) and world-class research (superficially skimming some of the pages of this thread), I came up with a sophisticated program that is able to generate perfectly valid DR theories with perfectly good nonsense arguments.

e: Actually, better if I don't inadvertently start something.

Where does the line about Togami being a little red car come from?

kiffkin fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Apr 13, 2013

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

kiffkin posted:

Where does the line about Togami being a little red car come from?

World-leading research also needs random phrases pulled out of my rear endnowhere. I added sentence fragments that have not been in the thread too (as far as I know).

klafbang fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Apr 13, 2013

kiffkin
Feb 13, 2007

Fool! Women called Nyla are always spies!
Cheers, that saves me from getting (and ignoring) the urge to search through 232 pages to find it :) .

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

kidcoelacanth posted:

She also said exactly this. Like when we got introduced to her.

And Junko told us the reason she didn't have any freckles in her cover shots was because of Photoshop and we all remember how that turned out. The fact that the game felt it necessary to address is means that it's clearly a clue that something strange is up with this! :byodood:

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

klafbang posted:

I can't believe nobody posted this before, but I think Hanamura is really from outer space because Junko is a ghost.

This is a pretty great generator, and it's fairly accurate to the thread. (as far as I care to check anyways)

Jazzbone
Oct 12, 2012

klafbang posted:

Oh gosh, it even haves the occasional "saw this on tumblr" :allears:

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

klafbang posted:

World-leading research also needs random phrases pulled out of my rear endnowhere. I added sentence fragments that have not been in the thread too (as far as I know).

Does that include the 'primary school' line, also the T-rex ones as well.

Jazzbone posted:

Oh gosh, it even haves the occasional "saw this on tumblr" :allears:

I just saw something bad on Tumbler! I know nobody would ever search for this, but don't search for: Tsumiki betrays the trust of Matsuda . This supports that Kirigiri is really a robot. Maybe, Fuyuhiko is Naegi. Maybe, Nanami caused the event in DR0.

This thing is loving genius. Also, Kirigiri is apparantly a robot-ghost, just getting that out there.

lotus circle
Dec 25, 2012

Jushure Iburu
So don't worry

Tender Child Loins posted:

Hmm, that's interesting. Could that be why the SHSL Gamer is always pausing before her statements?
She doesn't pause between every statement. Just when she has a lot to say at once.

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!

klafbang posted:

This is amazing. 'My pet theory is that Akane has the hots for Akane' it's creepily close to the actual quality of the thread's speculation.

CandyCrazy
Oct 20, 2012

It kind of depresses me how good the generator is at simulating this thread (it's amazing, good job).

It does quotes too; this thing is fantastic. :allears:

RefinedUndefined posted:

This thing is loving genius. Also, Kirigiri is apparantly a robot-ghost, just getting that out there.

So Hagakure was right.

CandyCrazy fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Apr 13, 2013

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I really don't want to know how Hanamura is kawaii because of Freud. :froggonk:

Bonfiesta
Sep 4, 2012
"Maybe Monomi is Naegi. I just wanted to put it out there. Aditionally, Monobear is hot."

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
"I just had to put this out there: Nagito is hot because anime."

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
I'm just going to throw this out there; can we maybe not post randomly generated quotes in the thread with no other content? That site is very funny, but it is so because it highlights the white-noise-y nature of this thread, and maybe we're not helping that by actually posting auto generated comments in the thread.

4th Asclepiadean
Feb 18, 2012

Fedule posted:

I'm just going to throw this out there; can we maybe not post randomly generated quotes in the thread with no other content? That site is very funny, but it is so because it highlights the white-noise-y nature of this thread, and maybe we're not helping that by actually posting auto generated comments in the thread.

Maybe you could make it a rule that people can only post their randomly-generated quotes along with an MSPaint picture of it (provided that it's not something horrifying, of course)?

Actual speculation: I get the feeling that Junko probably knows who Kamakura is, and that it's one of the characters we've met so far. I wonder if it isn't Ryouko herself.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
Just going to ditto what Fedule just said.

I said I'd clean up my dr0.txt into a volume 1 summary post last night and so I did! Here it is. Let me know if I'm getting anything wrong or if I've left out something important (oren's post a little earlier has got me wondering if there's something big I'm just not noticing).

DANGAN RONPA/ZERO: THE STORY SO FAR

The long and short of it:
Dangan Ronpa 0 is about The Worst Incident in Hope’s Peak Academy’s History (I'll just call it "the Incident" for short), in which a student named Izuru Kamukura killed 13 other students and left a 14th in a coma. Nothing is known about Kamukura aside from the name and the crime yet, not even his or her gender.

The Hope's Peak Steering Committee (who are the highest-ups at the school) and the whole teaching faculty (including Headmaster Kirigiri) have resolved to hide this incident from the public, because for whatever reason, they regard protecting Kamukura as the greater good; for some reason he or she is seen by the whole faculty a symbol of hope and his/her exposure as a murderer would be disastrous for the school.

Junko, in the meanwhile, intends to "thoroughly crush down this school’s symbol of hope, Izuru Kamukura". She's been murdering her way through people related to the cover-up, and has attempted to leak knowledge of the Incident to the public. She's developed some plot related to this that involves Ryouko, who has some unknown connection to the Incident, and Matsuda, who's investigating the incident for the Steering Committee and whom Junko has promised to kill. In the meanwhile, Kirigiri is investigating the whereabouts of Kamukura too.

Chapter-by-chapter
Chapter 1:
Junko has killed someone. She comes up with a plan involving some other student at Hope's Peak.

Yeah, this is basically just a prologue I guess. :geno:

Chapter 2:
Headmaster Kirigiri addresses the faculty of Hope's Peak about The Worst Incident in Hope’s Peak Academy’s History, including the four members of Hope's Peak Steering Committee. He tells the faculty that Hope's Peak's official position on the Incident is to cover it up because "The crimes committed may be terrible, but it doesn’t change the fact that that student carries a very special brand of hope we raised all on our own."

Chapter 3: A, B
Ryouko, who has both anterograde and retrograde amnesia, visits her crush, SHSL Neurologist Yasuke Matsuda. He's the only person she is capable of remembering. He's also kind of a dick.

Hope's Peak turns out to be more than simply a prestigious high school; it's a research centre that studies "human talent". The faculty scientists have recently opened up a Hope's Peak prep school to gain more money than simple research grants and donations would allow. The prep schoolers have been growing malcontent and a group of protesters called "the parade" has formed.

Chapter 4:
Matsuda has been recruited by Headmaster Kirigiri and the Steering Committee to extract information about the Incident from the comatose survivor. He was previously recruited to aid the interrogation of the student who first discovered the Incident. They want him to do this even though they're pretty sure who did the crime. Headmaster Kirigiri is evasive about letting him know precisely their intentions, but states that precisely because the missing student is incredibly suspicious "[i]t just justifies covering-up this incident even more. If we don’t... it’s going to be the end of this school".

Chapter 5:
Ryouko gets a note claiming that all of her memory notebooks have been stolen and that she should meet the note-sender at 1am at the central plaza. She finds a man hanged from a tree at the plaza and a urine-soaked memory notebook.

Chapter 6: A, B, C
Ryouko immediately flees the scene to inform Matsuda about the body, but he's not in his room. Instead she meets SHSL Secret Agent Kamishiro, who she tells to tell Matsuda to look for her once he comes back. She returns to the scene of the crime only to find the body's been disposed of, but the memory notebook was left behind, and Junko is lurking about.

Junko claims to be the one who sent Ryouko the threatening note and steals the notebook that was left at the crime scene. She's baffled why the corpse has been moved, but gleefully confesses to the murder. Ryouko is confused why Junko knows about her amnesia. When Junko declares that she wants to involve Ryouko in her plans, Ryouko runs away.

Junko catches Ryouko and explains to her that the dead body was one of the Steering Committee. Junko and Ryouko are accosted by Madarai, who has heard that Junko has some connection to the Incident. He also attacks Ryouko, believing she knows about the Incident too. Junko fights with Madarai, but then vanishes using her inexplicable shukuchi-jutsu skills. Ryouko, having being egged on by Junko, spots the details of her ability in her notes and exploits them to escape as well.

Chapters 7 and 8:
Maradai chases Ryouko around, but she remains consistently just out of his grip. He's trying to get revenge for the Incident and was lured out to the central plaza by a note; he apparently "still [has] someone who needs protection" in relation to the Incident.

Chapter 8 is just exposition about Ryouko's talent: "Super analytical proficiency".

Chapter 9:
Ryouko lures Madarai into a shed where she tricks him, crushing him with a shelf-full of paint cans.

Chapter 10 and 11:
Madarai isn't stopped by Ryouko's trap and nearly strangles her, but then Junko reappears and kills him. Ryouko passes out.

Junko gloats over her kill. She decides to carry Ryouko back to Matsuda and get her sister to clean up the scene of Madarai's murder.

Chapter 12: Part A, B
Ryouko wakes up tied to Matsuda's bed; he heard that she'd gone missing but ultimately found her passed out in his own room and so tied her up there. Matsuda reminisces about their time in elementary school where she built a masterful sandcastle, only for it to be destroyed; he tried to investigate who destroyed it for her, but it turned out she destroyed it herself. Consulting her notebook, Ryouko mentions her encounter with Junko and the murdered Steering Committee member. Matsuda gets inexplicably angry at the mention of Junko's name and tries to convince her that the contents of the notebook are fake, so they have an emotionally charged argument.

Matsuda leaves to visit his "other patient", and Ryouko is freed by Kamishiro, who had been using his SHSL Secret Agent talent to hide in the room. He acts like a perv but explains the Incident to Ryouko and offers to find out more information for her about the Junko-related incident she's become involved with. The Incident involved 15 students (apparently the Hope's Peak student council): 13 were killed, a 14th left comatose, and the 15th has gone missing. Junko is related to the Incident in that she sent out an anonymous email detailing the Incident to everyone at the prep school, but Chihiro discovered the email and passed along enough information to Kamishiro that he was able to trace the message back to her. Junko has furthermore been M.I.A. for a long time and none of her classmates know her whereabouts. After Kamishiro leaves, Matsuda returns and apologizes for getting angry at Ryouko earlier. He also comments about how "the parade" seems louder than it used to.

Chapter 13 and 14:
Kirigiri, in the meanwhile, is investigating the Incident on the behalf of the Headmaster. She's arranged a meeting with a member of the Steering Committee, but he gets killed by a trap and the body gets stolen out from under her nose.

Junko has been killing guards and apparently killed the Committee member, but again is baffled by the body's disappearance. She's annoyed about how Kirigiri's presence interferes with her plans.

Chapter 15:
Kirigiri meets with her father, the Headmaster, with whom she still has a tense relationship. She's been hired by him to track down the missing student, Izuru Kamukura. She reports that one of the Committee members is dead and expresses concern that one of the other remaining Committee members is now missing. Kirigiri voices her suspicion that the murder was in response to the Incident and the fact the Committee has been harbouring the culprit, the same Izuru Kamukura she was hired to find. The Headmaster claims he was kept in the dark about the cover-up until he did his own investigation. He's incredibly impressed that Kirigiri was able to deduce the existence of the Incident and that Kamukura was the culprit, but is adamantly unforthcoming about further information. The Headmaster claims that he's having Kirigiri investigate Kamukura because the Committee is "making a big mistake".

Chapter 16:
Junko shows up at Ryouko's room and taunts her, claiming that Ryouko is more deeply connected to the Incident than she knows. She then provokes Ryouko by telling her she's going to "thoroughly crush down this school’s symbol of hope, Izuru Kamukura" and "kill the beloved darling Yasuke Matsuda".

Falls Down Stairs fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 16, 2013

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.
Thinking about it, if Junko finds out that Kamukura killed that class, would she try to recruit him instead? Also, presuming that the memory wipes were performed using Matsuda's equipment and techniques, did she force him to teach her how to use it then killed him , or did she kill him then messed around until she figured out how to use it? That is, if Matsuda is dead by the time DR1.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

RefinedUndefined posted:

Thinking about it, if Junko finds out that Kamukura killed that class, would she try to recruit him instead? Also, presuming that the memory wipes were performed using Matsuda's equipment and techniques, did she force him to teach her how to use it then killed him , or did she kill him then messed around until she figured out how to use it? That is, if Matsuda is dead by the time DR1.

It's not totally clear how much she knows, but I think Junko knows that Kamukura killed those kids, she's just working towards exposing him/her (as violently as possible, because she's just like that) because the scandal of Hope's Peak's biggest hope turning into a psychotic killer would be incredibly despair-inducing for the public at large. That's how I'm interpreting "crush down this school’s symbol of hope" at least.

I'm thinking she succeeds at this because there was that notice the kids found about Hope's Peak shutting down in DR1; if that notice was written in response to the world loving ending it would seem like a pretty stupid formality.

4th Asclepiadean posted:

Actual speculation: I get the feeling that Junko probably knows who Kamakura is, and that it's one of the characters we've met so far. I wonder if it isn't Ryouko herself.

As for whether Kamukura is someone we already know, I'll admit my first thought was he or she was Ryouko. But this probably isn't the case, because the Steering Committee is incredibly concerned with Kamukura on one hand, and on the other hand thinks Matsuda is totally wasting his time with Ryouko. You could interpret that as protecting their secret and trying to misdirect Matsuda, but it's such a sensitive matter they'd probably put some actual effort into keeping him away, like cutting off his lab access for anything except what they specifically want him to do. And Matsuda would probably already know all about Kamukura if he or she was Ryouko, but he doesn't.

I'm betting primarily that Ryouko was the one who discovered the crime scene, which makes her a person of interest in relation to it.

Falls Down Stairs fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Apr 14, 2013

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

klafbang posted:

E: It's probably better not to blindly post generated theories. Randomly generated sentences are fun, but probably not adding a ton to the speculation that :f5: on the linked page cannot handle. :)

Did you use a Markov Bot for this?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Falls Down Stairs posted:

This made me realize that everything about the backstory regarding Hope's Peak is loving STUPID and that I only care about crazy anime kids in crazy anime murder mysteries.

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917

W.T. Fits posted:

And Junko told us the reason she didn't have any freckles in her cover shots was because of Photoshop and we all remember how that turned out. The fact that the game felt it necessary to address is means that it's clearly a clue that something strange is up with this! :byodood:

I was actually about to say this! (If you were being facetious then shame on me, I guess.)

I'm just wondering about that possibility because it seems like AI was a big deal in the last game, so it would make sense that the next step -- an android (or gynoid), I guess? -- would appear in the sequel. And passing response generation time off as a cutesy quirk like "she pauses to put what she wants to say together in her head before saying it" would make sense. The two ideas are just different spins on the same action, don't you think?

I don't know, when Ratoslov posted that info about AI response lag time some puzzle pieces started to come together in my head. I really hope Chiaki is actually a SHSL Android because I dig poo poo like that.

zolthorg
May 26, 2009

slowbeef posted:

What? She's barely even in it!
A supporting / flat character can be someone's favorite. Not everyone looks for leaps and bounds of character development. See: the user with the Maizono avatar and anyone who was riveted by Monobear's character arc from 'Robot' to "A Real Bear" TM

Tomn posted:

There a slight, just a very small, slight possibility that when someone asks that you ignore linear time while explaining their theory, they are not being serious.

Well what if the sequel Hyper Dangan Ronpa 3 actually takes place inside a non euclidean geometrical hypercube school and Otonashi travels from gamemanga 0 through game 3 into game 1!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Tender Child Loins posted:

I was actually about to say this! (If you were being facetious then shame on me, I guess.)

I was, actually. Guess I should've gone with :tinfoil: instead of :byodood:.

GilliamYaeger
Jan 10, 2012

Call Gespenst!
...Does anyone else get the feeling that Ryouko is actually Junko and there's some serious Fight Club poo poo going down? It'd explain why Matsuda was so insistent about the notebook's contents being fake if he's trying to stop Junko from coming back or something...

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

zolthorg posted:

Well what if the sequel Hyper Dangan Ronpa 3 actually takes place inside a non euclidean geometrical hypercube school and Otonashi travels from gamemanga 0 through game 3 into game 1!

I would have gone with Dangan Ronpa 3 64 myself.

ElTipejoLoco
Feb 27, 2013

Let me fix your avisynth scripts! It'll only take me a couple horus.

Chapter 5

Was it blood? I thought it was left ambiguous. I mean, if the translation in the Chapter 5 and 6 posts is right.

I don't really like jumping in on the theorizing in these DR threads, but I figured I might as well point out that for a lot of the committee murders thus far, the amount of evidence that's removed when the bodies disappear doesn't seem to be specified anywhere but other than Chapter 5 and 6, where the position of Ryouko's soaked Memory Notebook is changed.

I assume that, if there's a really effective cover-up going on, that blood and other material that could go through forensic tests would be getting removed as well, otherwise there would be no point. So why was the notebook so sloppily disposed of?

Edit: Oh, gosh, I second guessed myself when I edited it before because I couldn't find that one line.
Still, almost all bodily excretions can be tested for genetic material... soaked notebook included.

ElTipejoLoco fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Apr 14, 2013

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
EDIT: Forget it, I won't post about DR0.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Apr 14, 2013

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!

ElTipejoLoco posted:

I assume that, if there's a really effective cover-up going on, that blood and other material that could go through forensic tests would be getting removed as well, otherwise there would be no point. So why was the notebook so sloppily disposed of?

Because the person who disposed of the bodies knows about Ryouko's condition maybe? The only person we know I could see caring about her is Matsuda.....I have no idea why he would do that. I mean isn't hiding the bodies basically hiding what Junko did? But Junko seems to not know who is hiding the bodies too.....so I have no idea what his goal would be. I would say it's something about Ryouko, since she was the one that found one of the bodies, but the second body (the one Kirigiri saw get killed) has nothing to do with Ryouko.

IceBorg fucked around with this message at 03:30 on Apr 14, 2013

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

That's fantastic, but there are two corrections I want to make:

Matsuda leaves to visit his "other patient", and Ryouko is freed by Kamishiro, who had been using his SHSL Secret Agent talent to hide in the room. He acts like a perv but explains the Incident to Ryouko and offers to find out more information for her about the Junko-related incident she's become involved with. The Incident involved 15 students (apparently the Hope's Peak student council): 13 were killed, a 14th left comatose, and the 15th has gone missing. Junko is related to the Incident in that she sent out an anonymous email detailing the Incident to everyone at the prep school, but Chihiro traced the message back to her. Junko has furthermore been M.I.A. for a long time and none of her classmates know her whereabouts. After Kamishiro leaves, Matsuda returns and apologizes for getting angry at Ryouko earlier. He also comments about how "the parade" seems louder than it used to.

Kamishiro is quite explicit in saying Chihiro only provided him with data, and that it was him who discovered that the email came from Junko. He even goes on to say he never reported back to Chihiro about his findings, because he doesn't like to get innocent people involved. I have a feeling these lines are there specifically to avoid a plot hole with DR1.

Chapter 15:
Kirigiri meets with her father, the Headmaster, with whom she still has a tense relationship. She's been hired by him to track down the missing student, Izuru Kamukura. Two of the Committee members are dead and one of the remaining Committee members is now missing. Kirigiri voices her suspicion that these murders (which we know were done by Junko) are in response to the Incident and the fact the Committee has been harbouring the culprit, the same Izuru Kamukura she was hired to find. The Headmaster claims he was kept in the dark about the cover-up until he did his own investigation. He's incredibly impressed that Kirigiri was able to deduce the existence of the Incident and that Kamukura was the culprit, but is adamantly unforthcoming about further information. The Headmaster claims that he's having Kirigiri investigate Kamukura because the Committee is "making a big mistake".

Kirigiri and her father only know about one dead committee member - the one she saw murdered in front of her eyes. The missing member she mentions is probably the second one who's been murdered, the day before - since the body went missing they have no idea what really happened to him.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

This made me realize that everything about the backstory regarding Hope's Peak is loving STUPID and that I only care about crazy anime kids in crazy anime murder mysteries.

I kinda like how it interpreted Hope's Peak in a different light. They aren't a school for very gifted kids, but are instead mad scientists investigating where "Talent" comes from.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

ElTipejoLoco posted:

Was it blood? I don't think it was specified and was left ambiguous. I mean, if the translation in the Chapter 5 and 6 posts is right.

I don't really like jumping in on the theorizing in these DR threads, but I figured I might as well point out that for a lot of the committee murders thus far, the amount of evidence that's removed when the bodies disappear doesn't seem to be specified anywhere but other than Chapter 5 and 6, where the position of Ryouko's soaked Memory Notebook is changed.

I saw your post before the edit where you said it was urine and went back and found this line:

orenronen posted:

“Tee-hee. To be frank, some of it got on my skirt, so I went to the bathroom to wash it off. But it seems in the time I was gone the body took off! It slipped away! Well, it’s my fault, really, getting scared from a little pee like that. That’s why, as punishment, I put that pee-drenched notebook under my shirt just now!”

...so yeah. It's soaked in urine, not blood. Gross. Thanks for the correction.

Sex_Ferguson posted:

got spoiled by image-searching for Kamukura

...welp.

Maybe I'll add a "we know nothing about Kamukura other than the name" to my summary to keep people from doing this.

edit:

orenronen posted:

That's fantastic, but there are two corrections I want to make:

Kamishiro is quite explicit in saying Chihiro only provided him with data, and that it was him who discovered that the email came from Junko. He even goes on to say he never reported back to Chihiro about his findings, because he doesn't like to get innocent people involved. I have a feeling these lines are there specifically to avoid a plot hole with DR1.

Kirigiri and her father only know about one dead committee member - the one she saw murdered in front of her eyes. The missing member she mentions is probably the second one who's been murdered, the day before - since the body went missing they have no idea what really happened to him.

Awesome, made these fixes too.

Falls Down Stairs fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Apr 14, 2013

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

You know, if you aren't reading DR0 then don't post anything about it at all. Your post already contained one spoiler that you removed, and I think even the rest is implying way too much that should be implied at this point.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

ArfJason posted:

I kinda like how it interpreted Hope's Peak in a different light. They aren't a school for very gifted kids, but are instead mad scientists investigating where "Talent" comes from.

And to be fair, studying 'Talent' in Dangan Ronpa is kind of like studying 'Insanity' in the Batman universe: It's arguably the single most important branch of scientific study, because that stuff gives you superpowers. If you could come up with a program to create Talented individuals, it would be worth it at any price. A dozen Chihiros could cause the Singularity. A hundred Soudas would bring on a second Industrial Revolution. A thousand Ishimarus would be a unquestioningly loyal army. A second Junko Enoshima could destroy the world, again.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Why do people google image search characters we haven't seen yet, or anything from this game?

It makes half of the "oh nooo I got spoiled" posts just seem absolutely retarded. Just don't do it. It's really easy and more exciting when you don't know what's going to happen. What could you even hope to achieve from that anyway? Are you looking for cool fanart or something to post in the thread? I just don't get it.

Oren, please update soon, the thread needs it :colbert:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Why do people google search anything about anything that they are worried about getting spoiled about, period?

I managed to get through the entirety of the last thread without the results of a single case being spoiled, and that is because not once did I punch Dangan Ronpa into Google's search field, press enter, and think "yeah, this is going to go just fine for me".

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

Okay, I'm going to draw a line in the sand: if you get spoiled by tumblr/google/a friend tying you down and screaming in your ear, don't post about it. At all. The thing is, the person being spoiled is sometimes blind to it, but often even saying something was spoiled implies that there is something that can be spoiled about the subject at hand. In most cases, specifically something that can be spoiled by looking at a picture.

If you're a frequent poster, you may post a very generic "I've been spoiled about something important, so I won't post any more speculations" type of disclaimer. I'm adding this rule to the OP, too.

Also, there's another point I really want to make but it requires repeating something from the deleted post. This isn't an earth-shattering spoiler but it is something that isn't revealed at this point, so I'm going to put it under a spoiler tag - if you've read the offending post before it was deleted, please read. If you haven't, ignore this.

One justification for casually mentioning Izuru is male was that the name is usually a male one. Not only does Kirigiri explicitly say in DR0 that she can't tell Kamukura's sex by the name alone, that statement isn't even true. Izuru isn't really a common name, but it is very much unisex, and in fact is usually a female name. It even sounds female to my ears.

Which is to say, most of you aren't Japanese, and the fact you know an anime character with that name who happens to be male means nothing. At the very least, do some research.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012

GilliamYaeger posted:

...Does anyone else get the feeling that Ryouko is actually Junko and there's some serious Fight Club poo poo going down? It'd explain why Matsuda was so insistent about the notebook's contents being fake if he's trying to stop Junko from coming back or something...

That may explain why Ryouko can't see Junko's face properly when she killed the ninja: it was actually the Junko personality surfacing and doing the killing, hence Ryouko is unable to see any face at all.

It also fits with the quote on Chapter 11:

Junko posted:

“Hmmmmm... It’s great that I came back and all, but... what’s going on here?”

If Junko was just passing by, she should not use the phrase "came back" unless she is aware of the fourth wall and intentionally messing with readers, which is not very likely. It allows Junko to actually "carry" Ryouko back to Matsuda's room as well, which would be a risky and pointless act otherwise.

As for the Junko who fought the ninja, it could theoretically be Mukuro in disguise again, but then Junko said Mukuro is incapable doing a successful impression and Mukuro didn't seem crazy enough to make up the whole speech on the fly. On the other hand, as Junko has demonstrated to be a super-competent villain, she may just wrote the speech and have Mukuro recite it.

• Locked thread