Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

The World God Only Knows is a Romantic Comedy manga by Tamiki Wakaki serialized in Weekly Shounen Sunday. It stars Keima Katsuragi, who is able to capture the heart of any girl he wishes. His ability to swoon is so profound and so famous he is known as the "Capturing God" online. Of course, all of this only applies to 2D video game girls.

Keima, who despises the "real" world, is more than content to live his life in the world of games. Unfortunately for him his services are solicited by a devil named Elcea "Elsie" de Rux Ima, whose organization has duped Keima into a contract to capture runaway spirits. The spirits, who hide themselves in the hearts of girls, can be extracted if the target's heart is filled with love. Keima would love to ditch this arrangement, but if he fails to fulfill his end of the contract he'll literally lose his head. Being the resourceful pragmatist that he is, Keima sets out to utilize his capture skills in the dreadful real world. Along the way he and Elsie will find themselves embroiled in numerous misadventures, as well as some dark conspiracies that could threaten both the human and devil worlds.

It's a pretty funny manga with nice art, a good cast, and a surprisingly large-scale story. It has even delivered quite well on drama. Really, the manga just does a lot of things really well.

LAST TIME ON TWGOK: We wrapped up a pretty solid capturing arc with Urara, and then a pretty dumb magical girl Kanon spin-off that everyone will probably forget about it. A third anime season has also been green-lit, which is cool because surprisingly the anime adaptions thus far have been excellent. Probably still not going to make it to Yui though :(

Though maybe all of this is pointless, because we can of course already see the ending...

Old Thread

Nate RFB fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Mar 27, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!
This series really is much better then it has any right to be based on its premise. It's one of those series that I have a hard time recommending to people because after I setup the basics of the plot I get looked at the kind of way that makes me interject 'No, really, it's good!' It's got some really nice humour and a good to decent plot with nice pacing. The thing that really saves it is that the characters for the most part manage to play with or at least sidestep most of the cliche pitfalls you find in this type of genre, with the main character being the most prominent example.

My theory is that the creator managed to skimmed off all the bad stuff from the main series, but ran out of space to store it and had to cram all of it into the Kanon spin-off, which is easily some of the most inane, terrible poo poo I have ever read (which I guess shows that I don't read very widely).

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I'm really not digging this spin-off story with the worst capture target.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Was there a break this week?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Nate RFB posted:

Was there a break this week?

Accoring to Red Hawk, yes. Is on break until issue 20, this week was issue 18

Edit:

And just as I said that, they release a new chapter :v:

So we finally know the reason for Keima's choosing.

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Mar 30, 2013

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
New chapter's out - http://mangafox.me/manga/the_world_god_only_knows/v23/c223/1.html

Keima cares about Elsea after all. :3:

JosephWongKS fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Mar 30, 2013

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm surprised this manga went this long without making that pun before.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
Present-day Keima's mom should switch back to twintails from the bun.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
So I guess the teenage Dokurou is Dokurou's real body then?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Looks like it. I guess Keima's changing the timeline so that Dokurou doesn't get turned into a skeleton?
SHAMELESS FANSERVICE this chapter.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Gamer, what a terrible pun.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

paragon1 posted:

Looks like it. I guess Keima's changing the timeline so that Dokurou doesn't get turned into a skeleton?
SHAMELESS FANSERVICE this chapter.

Dokurou got turned into a skeleton long before Keima was born. It happened during the war with old hell. However, this is different from Dokurou's recent death. It seems likely that fleshy Dokurou survived. Also, this nicely explains why Elsie was sent to Keima in the first place.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

Serious Frolicking posted:

Dokurou got turned into a skeleton long before Keima was born. It happened during the war with old hell. However, this is different from Dokurou's recent death. It seems likely that fleshy Dokurou survived. Also, this nicely explains why Elsie was sent to Keima in the first place.

I dunno. I didn't get any explanation of why Elsie was sent.

Pretty good to return to Keima again. Kanon was alright but I wanted to go back to the meat of the story.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Artificer posted:

I dunno. I didn't get any explanation of why Elsie was sent.

Pretty good to return to Keima again. Kanon was alright but I wanted to go back to the meat of the story.

Dokuro was the one who sent Elsie to Keima, telling her that he was the man who could capture any girl and that it had to be done with love. None of the other devils really use love, but it was the key to awakening the goddesses. And now Dokuro has told Keima that she will leave the goddesses to him. It is a time loop thing.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
tangential unrelated questions:

-Keima's dad: Friend or Foe? Saturn to Keima's Jupiter or used car salesman red herring?

-If the katakana for this character's name is "ツアー", ("Tour") why is that translated by Redhawk as "Gira"? Is this another case of the author having a creative romanization, or was Redhawk taking liberties with the translation? And if it was Redhawk, what else have they fiddled with? Does that mean I'm forced to live the rest of my life plagued with doubt and distrust of everything, and everyone?

Sleeping Sigma
Dec 28, 2012
If you look at the bottom of that page you linked, it says that Gira is spanish for tour.

I guess they felt that Tour in english didn't sound like a girl's name.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Zogundar posted:

tangential unrelated questions:

-Keima's dad: Friend or Foe? Saturn to Keima's Jupiter or used car salesman red herring?

-If the katakana for this character's name is "ツアー", ("Tour") why is that translated by Redhawk as "Gira"? Is this another case of the author having a creative romanization, or was Redhawk taking liberties with the translation? And if it was Redhawk, what else have they fiddled with? Does that mean I'm forced to live the rest of my life plagued with doubt and distrust of everything, and everyone?

Also Elsie's sister.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

Sleeping Sigma posted:

If you look at the bottom of that page you linked, it says that Gira is spanish for tour.

I guess they felt that Tour in english didn't sound like a girl's name.

So this was probably Redhawk and not Tamiki Wakaki?

drat you Redhawk!

Although her real name is hard to search for in any language

I tried doing it once and all that came up was stuff about tours unrelated to TWOGK. :smith:

Sonata Mused
Feb 19, 2013

I'll show you... a nightmare...
That image in the OP reminds me that I need to go back and re-read this series.

So many fun arcs.

failedninja
Nov 29, 2008

Zogundar posted:

So this was probably Redhawk and not Tamiki Wakaki?

drat you Redhawk!

Although her real name is hard to search for in any language

I tried doing it once and all that came up was stuff about tours unrelated to TWOGK. :smith:

Wikis are usually wrong about things.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
Yeah, Redhawk definitely takes liberties with translation, but not in the way you suspect.

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007

failedninja posted:

Wikis are usually wrong about things.

*sigh* I did try to find the raw for that chapter a couple of times, but I was obviously not successful.

I will thus redirect my anger toward the Wiki. Where the flip did they get "ツアー" from "ギラ"? I don't care if you can't read Japanese, this isn't crazy illegible squished together variant kana handwriting, it's right there in a typed font. :unsmigghh:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
New Chapter

Plot heavy issue

'Me haff no clue' :downs:

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I really don't understand how Dokuro's orb plan even worked but whatever.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
God some of those pages were hysterical. Also I like how this is literally a plan almost lifted straight out of a Visual Novel.

RatHat posted:

I really don't understand how Dokuro's orb plan even worked but whatever.
It seemed to basically be a reversal of causality. The future where Keima had already saved everyone is not actually connected to any past. So now Keima has to fill in the blanks to make them connect.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Well uh, that's quite the twist :stare:

So suddenly TWGOK is now an Uchikoshi VN.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
It's actually pretty clever. The mangaka doesn't fail to make things work out. An interesting spin on "I can see the ending".

Einander
Sep 14, 2008

"Yeh've forged a magnificent sword."

"This one's only practice. The real sword I intend to forge will be three times longer."

"Can there really be a sword as monstrous as that in this world?"

"Yes. I can see that sword... Somewhere out there..."
I guess the manga really is wrapping up. I don't think you write something like this unless you're near the End end, even to close off a major arc. It's kind of hard to top this plan.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

That girl in panel 1 of page 7 is unrecognizable. I think? Any ideas?

Also holy poo poo, yeah this is like a VN now. Oh man. I can see paradoxes already. :swoon: :allears:

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Nate RFB posted:

God some of those pages were hysterical. Also I like how this is literally a plan almost lifted straight out of a Visual Novel.
If you're going to be vague about which one why even spoiler it? (which one are you thinking about it sounds like a few but not quite)

Super Jay Mann posted:

Well uh, that's quite the twist :stare:

So suddenly TWGOK is now an Uchikoshi VN.
ohhhhhh okay. Now I know. Nevermind.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Krinkle posted:

If you're going to be vague about which one why even spoiler it? (which one are you thinking about it sounds like a few but not quite)

ohhhhhh okay. Now I know. Nevermind.
Yeah, those ones are probably the most obvious. But it's a fairly common "gameplay" gimmick though; a way to treat something with multiple routes in such a way that there's a reason for it to have multiple routes.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
I like how Dokurou is cheating in the exact way I would if I had access to time travel.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
TWGOK: Infinite

Crampy Grampaw
Jan 29, 2009
I can already see the beginning. :cool:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Einander posted:

I guess the manga really is wrapping up. I don't think you write something like this unless you're near the End end, even to close off a major arc. It's kind of hard to top this plan.
On the other hand, he did pretty much just introduce a new villain as well.

JosephWongKS
Apr 4, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Artificer posted:

That girl in panel 1 of page 7 is unrecognizable. I think? Any ideas?

That's not any particular girl in the series. It's a "generic faceless girl" representing all the girls he's had to conquer.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
New Chapter

I just don't know anymore :psyduck:

It seems that the Weiss were released before the expected

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I stopped trying to predict what would happen in this manga long ago and just decided to roll with it. It's one of those few stories that is just unconventional enough that I can't predict what will happen, but not so unconventional that I can't tell what is going on.

I guess I need to play more games.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Oh gently caress. A wrench has been thrown into Keima's works.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Not sure what there is to be alarmed about, since it could be anything. For all we know this has to happen anyway.

• Locked thread