Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

After long hard consideration the Minnesota Wild are selecting Pekka Rinne G Finland

It's quite relieving to have one of the games more elite goaltenders, who has constantly braved a lesser-dynamic offensive team to constantly turn in a playoff contender. A $7 Million cap hit until 2018 is a bit easier to swallow where in the last 2 seasons he's had over a .920sv%. Only 30, he's definitely not showing signs of slowing down which is something most Finnish goaltenders are known for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
The Buffalo Sabres select Slava Voynov - Defense - formerly of the Los Angeles Kings.

I had a real difficult time with this one, it was basically down to Voynov and 5 or 6 good first line forwards. Seeing Ekman-Larsson, Shattenkirk, and Landeskog go earlier in the 2nd round was enough to convince me not to gamble on the young talent still being there in the 3rd round though, whereas hopefully at least one of my good forwards still will be.

Voynov has earned an increase from 18 minutes a night for the Kings in last year's Stanley Cup campaign to nearly 23 minutes a night on the 2012-13 still really drat good Los Angeles squad, trailing only Drew Doughty among defenders on the team. The plan going into the draft was to lock up 3 or 4 young and talented core pieces, and if those guys happen to be top minute players from elite teams around the league then that's even better. Voynov is only 23 years of age and has a good all around game - he gets consistent time on the PK as well as the PP, and has done a good job producing some goals and assists at even strength this season leading all Kings defenders with 16 ES points (4th on the team among all players). As an added bonus he is signed for only $816,667 this season and under team control as a restricted free agent, so even after an expected raise to the 3 to 4 million dollar range his contract will remain affordable. Keeping costs down on Voynov should allow Buffalo the cap flexibility to pursue a more highly paid veteran defender to join Voynov on the top pairing.

**Comparing Voynov to some of the previously selected young D, obviously he's a step down from Doughty and Pietrangelo, but I think there are some favourable points of comparison between him, Ekman-Larsson, and Shattenkirk. Voynov has been more productive at even strength this year than either of those guys, and is probably a better overall defender than Shattenkirk. Additionally Shattenkirk has played almost exclusively with Pietrangelo on the Blues top pairing, while Yandle has always been out there with OEL. From what I can remember (can't find the website that gives you this stuff right now) Voynov generally does not play with Drew Doughty. Being out there with one of those top end / elite defenders has a real positive influence on a player's game, so Voynov putting up these numbers without the help of Doughty is a real impressive accomplishment in my eyes.

***I found the site. Voynov has played all of 3 minutes at even strength with Drew Doughty this year. I'm pretty shocked that they've never even spent a single game together on the blue line, but I guess it speaks to how much confidence the King's coaching staff has in him. He's as much the anchor of the King's 2nd pairing as Doughty is on the 1st.

****And I've embarrassed myself, OEL never plays with Yandle. Yeah he's pretty good.

Starsfan fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Apr 14, 2013

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
I just noticed that Pekka Rinne almost rhymes with Shecky Greene.

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

Was my contract good for you, too?
Voynov is not a bad pick at all, I think he might be the last of the young elite defensemen

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Shoeonhead22 posted:

Voynov is not a bad pick at all, I think he might be the last of the young elite defensemen

agreed! none left

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

put ages in the spreadsheet when you update :argh:

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
EDIT: Gone

Rutkowski fucked around with this message at 09:55 on Apr 14, 2013

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Uh can we please stop talking about that player that I hope to pick in three turns???

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

God gently caress you DC, you take all loving day to show up and rob me of pecorino without posting about how his name sounds like a cheese ha ha. rear end in a top hat.

Now I have to go take Victor Hedman. He's a 6'6 potential franchise defenceman with good fancystats and a decent contract. This year he is the diamond in a turd pile that is the Lightning D and is finally putting up points to justify his 2nd overall selection behind Tavares. you'll get a picture and effort post when I wake the gently caress up for real.

The effort post says he is really good. Maybe not as good right now as some other D, but he's 22, a great skater, huge, and not deficient in skills, so there's plenty of room to grow, as young defencemen tend to do. His contract is reasonable, even it unfortunately ends in UFA - but that's years from now. He should be a Norris candidate in a few years if his offense picks up - on a 37 point pace this year, so it should. If not, there are offensive defenseman around to pick up the slack, and I don't think there were any other older two-way studs available - at least not any who don't have some question marks.

I hope he will shut down Tavares like he uhh well I guess Canada won those WJC but gently caress it there's next year.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 14, 2013

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
You did a really good job of explaining the Voynov pick.

This is a good thing because you picked Slava Voynov in the second round.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Jordan7hm posted:

You did a really good job of explaining the Voynov pick.

This is a good thing because you picked Slava Voynov in the second round.
At least it isn't Dion Phaenuf in the second or Andrew Ladd in the first.

Seriously, Andrew Ladd is a third line player forced into a first line role. He isn't a bad player but he certainly isn't a top 30 franchise player.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Phaneuf is (apparently) an rear end in a top hat I wouldn't want to form the core of my team, but he's a pretty legit player.

I'm all the way with you on Ladd. That pick is just wacky. I was thinking of that in my post - if Voynov was just picked without an explanation that made sense, like Ladd was, I'd really dislike the pick. As it is I just dislike it, but at least understand why he made it.

As we get into the later rounds I'm really looking forward to the explanations. I'm going to make some wacky picks too.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Pekka Rinne's a good pick, cap hit be damned.

E: regarding Dion's alleged assholeness. I'm not really in a position to evaluate that so I make my picks based on objective measures, like levels of Pierre McGuire adoration.

Thufir fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Apr 14, 2013

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Voynov is a lot better than people think. Nothing wrong with that pick. We can keep slagging the Andrew Ladd pick though right? I can't believe two Jets are gone already.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

mennoknight posted:

Voynov is a lot better than people think. Nothing wrong with that pick. We can keep slagging the Andrew Ladd pick though right? I can't believe two Jets are gone already.
The only thing wrong with it is that's who I was going to take.

The first round wasn't much of an issue, it's this round that's breaking my balls here.

IANSS, do you have an e-mail handy? Depending on today, my picks may come while I'm working, and I don't want to screw my team over.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

My email is thebestbrent@hushmail.com.

Also, man going such a long time between picks really makes picks that much harder, because you have to reach on players you reslly want but won't be here 40 picks later.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I just banged my desk in frustration that DC grabbed Rinne*

*didn't actually happen, but I was hoping to grab him.

e: I am finding it difficult to figure out which player I want to take with my next pick. I was hoping Rinne would be there, but now I have to go back and think. There's so many players still available, and having two picks so close to each other kind of handcuffs me, because I have to start thinking about who is going to realistically be there in another 60 picks. I have a list of probably 20-30 picks that could reasonably be chosen at 59 and 62.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Apr 14, 2013

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So eager to make this pick. Come on, Hirez.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

He never made his first pick so no surprise if you have to wait hours for this one too.

Now having woken up for real, I'm glad nobody has any strong opinions about Hedman. I thought he might last till my next pick, but there have been too many runs on young players coming off ELCs for me to risk it. And I'm sure there will be both good D and W available when I pick next, now that my strategy is definitely "gently caress goalies". I'm pretty sure it's a better risk to take than Voynov, no offense.

Also Phaneuf is a perfectly reasonable pick at this point. There are a couple of other defencemen I might have taken over him, since I watch lots of Leafs games and am familiar with his questionable skating and brain cramps, but you could have quibbles like that about the available D too. Hell, you could also complain that Keith's performance has been declining since he won the Norris, though he did win the fuckin' Norris.

I will now place my ire not on Drunk Canuck for taking Rinne, but for the previous 20-odd picks who passed him over. gently caress you guys for giving me false hope.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Wow, you're right. He hasn't shown up in like a week. Welp...

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah not a huge fan of Hedman either but I find him to be a lot more sensible than Ladd or Phaenuf.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Rutkowski, you're Ottawa now.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
NO DON'T DO THIS I KNOW WHO HE'S GOING TO PICK gently caress YOU

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Ahahaha I even asked him about that guy. Go right ahead buddy.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ugh, anyone but Rutkowski makes this pick and the dude falls to me. You'll pay, IANSS (and to a smaller extent, Rutkowski). Don't think you won't pay!

Drunk Canuck
Jan 9, 2010

Robots ruin all the fun of a good adventure.

All's fair in love and war, guys. :colbert:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Paulocaust you're going to have to draft forwards at some point.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Haha now we have a rivalry! If you ask me, so far this pace is good and there's been ample discussion. This is turning out to be a fun idea.

My next pick is tough because it's either I get a number one center or a number one defenseman and both of those are going fast so if I choose one I'll be weak on the other.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

Yeah I'm kind of in a rush but I'm picking Yandle with OEL gone.

The discussion about him before had nothing to do with my pick; when OEL is gone Yandle is my backup.

Yandle>Tavares>Stanley's Cup.

Rutkowski fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 14, 2013

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

eXXon posted:

Paulocaust you're going to have to draft forwards at some point.

Oh for sure, but how do you pass up that guy when he's on the board? A starting defense tandem of Yandle-Karlsson would be disgusting and never miss the playoffs.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Rutkowski posted:

Yeah I'm kind of in a rush but I'm picking Yandle with OEL gone.

The discussion about him before had nothing to do with my pick; when OEL is gone Yandle is my backup.

Yandle>Tavares>Stanley's Cup.

Amazing duo. Both of them combined have like a $10m cap hit and can be the offensive engine of the team for years.

I have two wingers who don't put up elite numbers to start so I'm kinda regretting it but the makeup of both players is why I chose them. I'm going more for offensive balance and depth.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Call me dumb all you want but I passed up Yandle because he has played like 60 minutes of PK in the last two years and I don't know or care enough about Phoenix to know if that says anything about his defensive game*.

*Yes I know you can say the same thing about Karlsson, but there are at least two other D on the board who put up slightly fewer points but can skate and advance the puck and have more complete games.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Because Ottawa robbed the good people of Toronto, Ontario, of being able to watch a Yandle/Karlsson tandem for years to come, the Maple Leafs select:

James Neal

Last year: (80 games played) 40-41-81
Contract: 5m per until 2017-18

40 goals last season, more than a point per game and he's only 25, and signed to a great contract. (5m per for until 2018) From the start of the 11-12 season, the only players to score more goals are Ovechkin and Stamkos. Even this year, battling through injury, he's still on a 40 goal pace and close to a point-per-game. What more could you want from a late second round pick? The guy has more scoring ability than most of the forwards already picked and has many years of top level production ahead of him.

Paulocaust fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 14, 2013

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

I am kind of surprised that Neal has dropped as far as he has. I assume people think he's solely a product of Crosby or something, because there's been a few forwards chosen that I'd take Neal over.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Twin Cinema posted:

I am kind of surprised that Neal has dropped as far as he has. I assume people think he's solely a product of Crosby or something, because there's been a few forwards chosen that I'd take Neal over.

He doesn't play with Crosby, as far as I know.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Jordan7hm posted:

E: Also I thought for sure MaxPac would fall to the third or fourth round.

Honestly, I didn't want to risk waiting. There are arguably better offensive forwards available right now, but the way I see it, he's a total package, sort of poor man's Toews-ish type of player. He may not have exhibited the same offensive upside, but he's also not surrounded by the same all-star level of talent as is Toews. Yet, despite that, for the last 3 seasons (this one included) he has kept up an almost equivalent scoring pace, which I think is bloody impressive given his linemates probably can't even be named by most non-Habs fans. In other words, although he may not be a flashy player, I know I can rely on him to produce regardless of whom I line him up with. I feel like everything that goes for Logan Couture goes for Max Pac, excepting that Couture is more of a sniper. Plus he's physical, and he's good defensively, and he can survive physical trauma that would break most bigger men. And he's signed forever with a cap hit that won't add too much pressure on top of Weber, so I will hopefully have greater flexibility later on to round out the roster. With a franchise defensemen already signed for the rest of my life, I thought he was one of the best somewhat proven young forwards available.

I actually almost went for a super young offensive would-be phenom who is already extended well past his ELC, but who's salary and cap hit is highly questionable, IMO. And then almost went for one of two young, more proven snipers, but both play with elite playmakers who almost certainly affect their performance. And I clearly can't rely on that since most such playmates have long since been picked, so I felt a more all around talent would be the better pick for a team that is unlikely to get the opportunity to stock itself with complementary offensive assets.

E: and now that he's been picked, Neal was one of the two aforementioned young snipers I considered. But while his numbers and contract are sweet, he does play with this guy named Malkin and on a powerplay comprised of some of the best offensive talent in the league. In a draft like this, where it's really difficult to stack your team like that, I just confident enough of his abilities outside of such an environment.

Habibi fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Apr 14, 2013

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I only really see highlights of most Penguins games and while he seems legit I'm not sure if he'd be on a 40 goal pace regularly without Malkin/Crosby.

Still a way better pick than Andrew Ladd though.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Paulocaust posted:

He doesn't play with Crosby, as far as I know.

You're right, he doesn't. Like, he has, but Crosby is frequently playing with Dupuis and Kunitz. Either way, you can replace Malkin in my previous post.

e: Also, I hope the next two picks happen quickly. I have my two guys lined up for the 59th and 62nd picks.

Twin Cinema fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Apr 14, 2013

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Ok I'm back from a weekend of debauchery. Really enjoyed catching up with the thread. Some thoughts:

1. Pacioretty is a weird pick. I thought about grabbing him but he's had a 30 goal season exactly once and hasn't really lit up the world offensively ever in his career at any level. Still a good forward to have at a nice price, but there are better scorers available. Which brings me to my next point.
2. How the gently caress did James Neal fall that far? Great cap hit, scored 40 goals, and is young. I was shocked. The way things were going I was starting to hope that he'd fall all the way to me in the third.
3. I forgot Slava Voynov existed. Good pick because he was way under the radar for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Twin Cinema posted:

You're right, he doesn't. Like, he has, but Crosby is frequently playing with Dupuis and Kunitz. Either way, you can replace Malkin in my previous post.

Yeah, as I said in my edit, this is why I held off on him. Likewise, though he scored 40 last year, almost half (18) were on the powerplay, where you can be pretty sure he gets time with the law firm of Crosby, Malkin, Letang, et al.

• Locked thread