Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Paulocaust posted:

Hahahaha what?

As funny as that is in it's own right, did you forget the Leafs are tied for 3rd in the league in goals scored?

okay

i like the mcdonagh pick. NOW there are no elite defenders left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Verviticus posted:

okay

i like the mcdonagh pick. NOW there are no elite defenders left

Yep. No one pick D until the 10th round now.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Verviticus posted:

dang, ten games!! thats like 300 saves

I was trying to point out that the difference in goaltending talent in the league is not nearly as massive as it was some time ago. Right now the average goaltender has a .917 or .918 save percentage, whereas .925 is considered top level goaltending. As mentholmoose pointed out the difference in expected wins over the course of an entire season is not large, and over a 4-7 game playoff series it's not a much of a factor at all.

And no I'm not a big fan of GVT, for goaltenders it's basically that calculation you described where they figure out how many saves an "average" goaltender would make facing as many shots as the subject, then take the difference between actual and typical to determine how many goals are saved. I don't know what other calculations could be done to determine goaltending talent considering there are not many stats kept for goalies besides save percentage and GAA, but that sort of equation completely ignores the effect of defensive systems and even something as simple as the effect a scorekeeper can have on goaltender stats by counting more or less shots against the home team.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
honestly there arent many good players left at all now. there's probably gonna be a run on premium facepunchers soon

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

There are great players left, there just won't be by the time I pick in 20 picks. Fuckin sucks.

Paulo, you're up next.

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
No, elmer fud is isn't he?

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
You've got it backwards, son.

elmer fud/Blues are up

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

That's what I meant

Slappy Pappy
Oct 15, 2003

Mighty, mighty eagle soaring free
Defender of our homes and liberty
Bravery, humility, and honesty...
Mighty, mighty eagle, rescue me!
Dinosaur Gum
There are tons of great players left. Just not many great players on great contracts.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Starsfan posted:

I was trying to point out that the difference in goaltending talent in the league is not nearly as massive as it was some time ago. Right now the average goaltender has a .917 or .918 save percentage, whereas .925 is considered top level goaltending. As mentholmoose pointed out the difference in expected wins over the course of an entire season is not large, and over a 4-7 game playoff series it's not a much of a factor at all.

And no I'm not a big fan of GVT, for goaltenders it's basically that calculation you described where they figure out how many saves an "average" goaltender would make facing as many shots as the subject, then take the difference between actual and typical to determine how many goals are saved. I don't know what other calculations could be done to determine goaltending talent considering there are not many stats kept for goalies besides save percentage and GAA, but that sort of equation completely ignores the effect of defensive systems and even something as simple as the effect a scorekeeper can have on goaltender stats by counting more or less shots against the home team.

He corrects for it to an extent.

From Tom Award:

quote:

We have to do one last adjustment to the GGVT. In practice, a goaltender�s save percentage is not uniquely due to his own caliber of play: some of it is due to the quality of the shots he faces. We can see this because, historically, the save percentages of #1 and #2 goalies on the same team tend to be about 15% correlated, and because goaltenders who are traded to new teams often see their save percentage change significantly. Therefore, I attribute 75% of the responsibility of stopping a shot to the goaltender and 25% of it to the team�s defense.

There is also shot quality neutral save percentage, but I'm not sure where you could pull stats for this season for that.

In the last 5 season, not including this one (as it's not over) there have been 15 goaltender performances above .925, another 34 above .920. Yes, that is up from the past, but .925 is still less than 10% of all full-season performances in that span, and .92-.925 is around 20%. These are exceptional performances.

The numbers from 98-2002 are interesting. The numbers have clearly moved.

code:
Year		0.925	0.92	0.915	0.91	0.905	poo poo
2008-2012	7%	15%	20%	18%	20%	21%
1998-2002	3%	13%	12%	13%	32%	27%
There are still a lot of lovely goalies though. 40% of the league with under .910 save %. (This doesn't include marginal goalies or backups under the threshold number of GP, which I believe is 25 over a normal season.)

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
Sorry I just woke up. I'm on my phone so I'll edit in more when I'm done. We'll take #1 cop bobrovsky. Sorry it took so long.

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

Was my contract good for you, too?
The best pick

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Oh also a McDonaugh thing I found interesting - you know he has played the most ES minutes (well, /60 of play) of any D in the league this year?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

elmer fud posted:

Sorry I just woke up. I'm on my phone so I'll edit in more when I'm done. We'll take #1 cop bobrovsky. Sorry it took so long.

you own

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I like Bob, but the body of work in the NHL isn't there, up to this point.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Bob's the flavor of the moment imo. He's hot now but will he keep it up? He was poo poo the year before.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.

With the 59th pick of the draft, the Dallas Stars select Mikko Koivu

After examining the remaining centers available, I had to select Koivu. He's not a sexy pick, and his contract is not very good, but it's difficult to pass up a guy with his blend of offense and defense. Koivu is an elite defensive center (if you disagree with the use of the word 'elite', then I'll use 'great' to appease you), with the ability to put up 65-70 points. He's 30 now, but I don't think he's going to decline that rapidly with the skill set he has, and I think he'll perfectly compliment the other Dallas Stars drafted player, Taylor Hall.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

With the 60th pick of the SAS Draft, the Winnipeg Jets select Jordan Eberle.

Rationale:
Young player with 75 points last season locked down for 6 years? Sure, why the hell not. I acknowledge I'm buying on potential after 2011-2012, but he has experience putting up points with decent centers. I think he'll be a good match for Crosby, and contract-wise he's in for a few seasons.

My next pick will be incoming in a few minutes.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Jordan Eberle was the player I was surprised wasn't taken in the first round. I almost grabbed him at 59, but I thought I needed a center more.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I like that pick a lot. Eberle seems like the type of player who could think the game well enough to play with Crosby.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Eberle is a good pick, I was hoping he might fall to me in the third but I knew there was about a 0% chance of that happening.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Twin Cinema posted:

Jordan Eberle was the player I was surprised wasn't taken in the first round. I almost grabbed him at 59, but I thought I needed a center more.

im not surprised. if this was the end of last year im sure someone would have but his contract loving sucks sucks sucks and its bad

edit: and thats AFTER he had a better year this year than last

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Apr 15, 2013

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I don't like the numbers behind Eberle's performance, but gently caress it. The guy is clutch and that counts for something. Also, he's paired with Crosby in this scenario. That does change things.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

So, here are the teams so far:

Crosby/Eberle
Hall/M. Koivu
Stamkos/Bobrovsky
Malkin/McDonagh
Karlsson/Neal
Tavares/Yandle
Giroux/Hedman
Toews/Voynov
Kopitar/Rinne
Ovechkin/Huberdeau
P. Kane/Phaneuf
Datsyuk/Kessel
Subban/Semin
Price/H. Sedin
Weber/Pacioretty
Lundqvist/Chara
Parise/Landeskog
Quick/Perry
Getzlaf/Suter
Seguin/Nugent-Hopkins
Benn/Shattenkirk
Backstrom/Ekman-Larsson
Rask/Spezza
E. Staal/Kovalchuk
Duchene/Doughty
E. Kane/Lehtonen
Couture/Letang
Schneider/Keith
Ladd/Nash
Pietrangelo/Bergeron

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

The guy is clutch and that counts for something.

no it doesnt!!!

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?
Goddamn I'm glad that I got Ottawa because when I saw that it was a conseus pick in the first round I thought of PMing not sure and vote for Tavares and now I got him. I mean I would've liked to have OEL with him but Yandle is actually better with that setup pass than OEL so he might work even better.

Just need some wingers and a stable G and I got a good core.

EDIT: Also, so far I'd say the best pairing is Karlsson/Neal, Rask/Spezza or Crosby/Eberle and the worst are Ladd/Nash or Duchene/Doughty.

Rutkowski fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Apr 15, 2013

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Verviticus posted:

no it doesnt!!!

Just what a Vancouver fan would be expected to say.

mozza
Sep 11, 2005

In Alfie We Trust
My least favourite duo on that list is my own. And Ladd/Nash.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

look at this clutch year: http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/4498/gamelog

as soon as the team hits the top 8 he goes cold as ice

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Verviticus posted:

look at this clutch year: http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/4498/gamelog

as soon as the team hits the top 8 he goes cold as ice

Random NHL games isn't where clutch matters sir.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piXP-wZmzc4

e: (Like I said, I don't like the numbers that support his gaudy scoring numbers. But... can't deny he has been superb at stealing the moment a couple times now.)

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

Random NHL games isn't where clutch matters sir.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piXP-wZmzc4

e: (Like I said, I don't like the numbers that support his gaudy scoring numbers. But... can't deny he has been superb at stealing the moment a couple times now.)

but someone always needs to steal those moments and it just happened to be eberle once or twice. still doesn't mean anything for the future

that goal is the only reason i even like eberle a little bit

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

With the 61st pick in the SAS Draft, the Winnipeg Jets select defenseman Dustin Byfuglien

Rationale: I needed a two-way defensemen with experience playing two-way hockey. Dustin has the stats and is locked in for a decent time period at an acceptable cap-hit. I'm probably hosed for a defensemen with decent stats and a decent cap hit by the time another 58 picks come around, so I needed to strike now while the irons are hot.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Boomer loadin up on offense. I like it. Please make an all offense team.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Boooo. I thought SAS's fatism would ensure he fell to me.

Like the pick a lot.

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

Was my contract good for you, too?
I wanted Big Buff so bad, or at least some sort of Habs/Jets presence on my team without overpaying for them

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Lundqvist/Chara and E.Staal/Kovalchuk are still my favorite duos, but I also like Backstrom/OEL and Malkin/McDonagh quite a bit.

Duchene/Doughty is underrated. Don't agree with the folks hating on that.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I think the backlash on Ladd/Nash is a tad rash.

Actually, no I don't. That team stinks.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I don't like having around 19 million across 3 players, but there's a lot of cheap options out there if I'm willing to gamble.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

Boomer The Cannon posted:

With the 61st pick in the SAS Draft, the Winnipeg Jets select defenseman Dustin Byfuglien

Rationale: I needed a two-way defensemen with experience playing two-way hockey. Dustin has the stats and is locked in for a decent time period at an acceptable cap-hit. I'm probably hosed for a defensemen with decent stats and a decent cap hit by the time another 58 picks come around, so I needed to strike now while the irons are hot.

dammit there goes my pick :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

T-Bone posted:

Lundqvist/Chara and E.Staal/Kovalchuk are still my favorite duos, but I also like Backstrom/OEL and Malkin/McDonagh quite a bit.

Duchene/Doughty is underrated. Don't agree with the folks hating on that.

I don't either. Thanks for having my back.

• Locked thread