Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
drat. That was nasty.

As I figured, Hanamura didn't kill to protect, but that he wanted to go home more than anything else. I didn't expect that motive to end up being so sad, though. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tsundair
Nov 4, 2012
That was... Pretty brutal. Wow.

Also, Komaeda. What a nutcase.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp
Guess they are going with the "Demented Fanboy" thing for Nagito, although he seems to be a fan of both Naegi and Junko. That's pretty disappointingly weak, as far as writing goes.

The execution scene, however, was pretty great. Looks like Monobear's special effects budget has skyrocketed!

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

I wonder if he felt extra despair being cooked in such a low class fashion as flash frying.

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!
:gonk: I think this might be worse than Mondo's fate, since you're actually seeing him get cooked alive (although the implication of such is just as bad!) The music is still fantastic though.

Man, who would've thought Hanamura'd get such noble yet depressing character development just at the moment he's doomed?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

That was more of a brutal execution than anything in the last game, holy poo poo.

Graceful Graveler
May 18, 2009
I don't think the first LP truly taught me the meaning of despair, what with how I read it after it was done and all.

But now I'm following this serially and everything I know is pain (and also despair). :gonk: The backstory was just the perfect punch to the gut.

HelloWinter
May 27, 2012

"Hey, Nagito, what'cha
thinkin' about?"

"Oh, y'know. Murder stuff."

orenronen posted:

Teruteru Hanamura

Aww. :(

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Really digging the improvements they made to Climax Inference.

Also, as brutal as that whole end of trial sequence and execution were, I think the cruelest moment was Monobear just completely ignoring Hanamura's last request to know about what happened to his mom and the family restaurant. :smithicide:

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Ineffiable posted:

That was more of a brutal execution than anything in the last game, holy poo poo.

That was pretty good, but I'd still give Leon getting baseballed to death my top pick.

When the execution started, I thought Monobear really was just going to shoot missiles at first, but egg-and-breadcrumb based ordinance was a nice touch.

Also Nagito is really bad at inspiring hope in people.

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Holy poo poo, Teruteru's motives are just depressing. I can't help but feel sorry for the guy now. :smith:

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

slowbeef posted:

Honestly, I think that might be the entire point, and he turns out to be the traitor.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
Fried Hanamura. Tasty.

And yeah, I'm also really digging the improvement in Climax Inference myself.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Yikes. This game wastes no time in pulling any punches, does it.

Catastrophics
Jun 2, 2011
...Oh Hanamura. :ohdear: I teared up during that update, especially when Monobear refused to answer his final question.

Hopefully the students do something about Nagito in the next chapter. Locking him up in his room would make him a sitting duck for the next killer, but it's better than letting him roam free to carry out more insane plans.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
I don't feel nearly as bad with Hanamura since he had a choice to either expose the plan to the others, or take advantage of it and kill essentially everyone else to get away. The latter is a long jump in logic and morality, showing how fundamentally hosed-up Hanamura was all along.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Well, um... :stare:

Holy poo poo have they upped the ante on the executions this time around. I didn't expect deep-fry by volcano to be the method of the first execution.

Looks like they're probably carrying on the whole theme of motives from the last game. Hanamura's was pretty sympathetic, even though everything he said about doing it to protect everyone was more or less a lie (he had the power to prevent the whole thing had he gone and talked with Togami about it, I could certainly see everyone working to restrain Nagito if that came out).

Nagito's absolutely demented. Everything about him gets increasingly creepy and off-putting with every update. Him being around definitely changes the dynamic from the first game, assuming he lives past the second case (I seriously can't imagine him not being the target again after the stunts he pulled in the trial, to everyone else he's an absolute liability if they don't keep him in check somehow).

That was a great first case, it's a step above any of the first game's cases, I'd say.

Papstr
Oct 9, 2012
The new Climax Inference seems a lot less tedious this time around.

Throughout I really hated Hanamura, but with his motives given at the end, I can't help but feel sorry for the guy. And the execution was just brutal, whereas the ones from DR1 seemed to be slightly comedic in how they were done, I was pretty much cringing throughout, especially when he was dropped into the volcano.

I'm also glad Komaeda is still alive, as no doubt his antics are going to put an interesting spin on things to come.

RentCavalier
Jul 10, 2008

by T. Finninho
More importantly though...

Are we seriously going to let fresh fried food go to waste!?

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.

slowbeef posted:

That was pretty good, but I'd still give Leon getting baseballed to death my top pick.

I'd go with Leon's execution, then Celes being burned at the stake (she was fully conscious of what was happening, Hanamura was distinctly in a daze after having been hit with egg and breadcrumb missiles).

This probably comes right after the latter in terms of brutality, though.

So, the final update answered a number of my questions about the Naegi/Hanamura collusion, but I still didn't like the narrative style in which they were answered, really. It was just told to us off the cuff, with no way for the alert player/reader to suss the answers out before the trial actually happens.

Nagito being an inverse Junko "We have to put the kids into a school life of mutual killing, to prove that Hope reigns supreme" is extremely interesting, though. Adds some fuel (but no real evidence) to the speculation that Nagito is post-post-apocalyptic Naegi, but who really knows. The timeline is still all weird.

Orenronen: Are you going to be providing the "extra free time events" after each trial, this time around? Or after the LP is finished? I really want to find out more about Hanamura's "real" personality, now, and having to wait a year to do so is going to cause me delicious despair.

EDIT: Nevermind, I misremembered DR1.

Kytrarewn fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Apr 15, 2013

HangedManArcana
Dec 12, 2012

...T...Thank you.

Kytrarewn posted:

Orenronen: Are you going to be providing the "extra free time events" after each trial, this time around? Or after the LP is finished? I really want to find out more about Hanamura's "real" personality, now, and having to wait a year to do so is going to cause me delicious despair.

He's said, before, that he's going to do the free time events later since there's a better way to do them.

digibitch
Jul 10, 2005
electric emotion, running through my circuits
Oh man, the combo of "Likes: Mom" and her being prone to falling ill is ...ouch. :ohdear:

I am seriously unsure whether or not I buy that this group also lost a year or more of their memories, but can't pinpoint why. As a result, I have to wonder if the reason Monobear ignored his request is because of that. Well, that and the fact that he's Monobear.

TheGreatGildersneeze
Feb 24, 2001
My passive aggressive shilling for Microsoft has gone beyond weird obsession levels. I have no attachment to reality outside of my feelings for a plastic box. I should shut my fat fucking mouth and stop trying to do PR for a billion dollar corp

slowbeef posted:

This is exactly why I pointed out that if they're going the "SHSL super fanboy" route, he's got to be obsessed with both Naegi and Junko. Both "personalities" are fighting for control to the point where he's like the ultimate self-insert fanfic character. Half good, half evil, all lunatic who can't separate his fanboy fantasies from reality.

Miss Kalle
Jan 4, 2013

This avatar is lacking a certain something, don't you think? IT'S MISSING YOUR SCREAMS, TRANSFER STUDENT!

RentCavalier posted:

It will be salted with gallons of tears.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
That execution was definitely not what I was expecting, but I'm kind of relieved. When we saw the Monocopter in the opening video, I thought for sure it had to be an execution for Souda. Glad that we've seen that clip and are back to a clean slate as far as what happens next. Also, drat Monobear, ignoring Hanamura was cold.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

RentCavalier posted:

A side of Hanamura Tempura to go, please.

The contrast between nutso-scissors-girl from the first game and Nagito in this one is pretty interesting: you have an actual lunatic murderer amongst you that somehow could be relied on to not kill anyone, but now they have a delusional sociopath with a twisted view on the whole Hope/Despair thing that has already caused a murder and is likely to keep on trucking.

Zeah
Oct 14, 2012

wtf hax???
Oh gosh, poor Teruteru. He wasn't too terrible a guy, I havent felt this bad for a culprit in DR since way back in the beginning of DR1. And the longer this goes on the more I just really, really hate Komaeda even more.

That execution was brutal as hell (and definitely showing off their increased budget, in a good way). But the music for it is probably now one of my favorite DR tracks. Holy poo poo, what a good jam. :3:

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

slowbeef posted:

When the execution started, I thought Monobear really was just going to shoot missiles at first, but egg-and-breadcrumb based ordinance was a nice touch.

You know, considering that a lot of people would consider Leon to be one of the most brutal from the first game, I kind of fear that it'll only go downhill from here.

I mean the rest would still be brutal, you know just... a shade less than getting hosed fried to death in a volcano. I also imagine that spending quite some time getting hung from upside down from a heli probably disoriented Hanamura even more (after the egg/flour daze)

Fine. I admit Leon is better but only if we assume Leon is fully conscious until his death and that Hanamura wasn't completely mentally aware besides the feeling of hot lava on his skin.

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Kytrarewn posted:

I'd go with Leon's execution, then Celes being burned at the stake (she was fully conscious of what was happening, Hanamura was distinctly in a daze after having been hit with egg and breadcrumb missiles).

He woke up enough to have his eyes open and start screaming right after the chain was released.

MiyokoBlade
Mar 28, 2013
Aaaah...Hanamura Tonkatsu...so that's his punishment. Buttered, Floured, and then flash-fried to a golden crisp and made into one of the most common food items in Japan. Monobear once again proves my Three-Step Theory to his executions. Compared to the last game, that execution seemed a bit more over the top than the first execution in DR1. In my opinion I'd take being pummeled to death with baseballs over my entire body being fried. I bet when Hanamura hit the lava he didn't even had time to scream...so painful.

I had a feeling that Komaeda was the one behind Hanamura wanting to kill someone. He's either a deranged maniac or possibly the most incredible manipulating genius I've ever met. As I said before, there is just something off when it comes to him. He flip-flops between hope and despair constantly, almost as if he's fighting with his own psyche. I have a feeling though...that because of his antics in this chapter, the other students are going to keep a SUPER-CLOSE eye on him from now on. The Dangan Ronpa series seems to have a way to always make even the most despicable characters endearing in the public's eye. I felt sorry for Hanamura...who killed to try to see his mother and failed, and he wasn't even given the satisfaction of knowing the truth before his demise.

Monobear, you are a cruel and twisted god of despair.

About the Climax Interference: Much of an improvement from the previous game. Having a stock of pictures to choose from instead of having to go through several just to find the appropriate one makes deciphering what really happened a lot quicker. The playback of the scenario is also shortened, showing that they are correct before the playback to allow more time for Hinata to explain overall makes the scenario flow more gracefully. And the BIG reveal...truly a polished improvement. However, I'm quite disappointed that they are still using generic, dark-gray evil-fanged guy for the culprit. Then again it's an aesthetic decision in order to show a general bad-guy while Hinata is talking. So it's only natural that it be a normal-formed, unknown variable.

I am looking forward to the rest of the game after seeing Chapter One unfold. We'll just have to see what the next chapter will hold for all of us, and how Monobear will show us even more despair.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Remember, Nagito has SHSL Luck on his side so I could see him dodging death attempts for quite a while as this progresses, he could be the Togami of trial complications for this game. That said, I hope someone DOES manage to kill him, because holy poo poo what an rear end in a top hat nutjob.

Bishop Rodan
Dec 5, 2011

See you in the funny papers, liebchen!
Holy poo poo, Nagito. Every update just makes him seem even more batshit. :stare:

Echoing those saying that this was a pretty intense execution. I was actually half-expecting it to end with Monobear eating him.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I'm trying to cut down on fried foods, can I get my Hanamura grilled, please?

But no seriously that was pretty brutal, and this was probably sadder than any of the motives from DR1. :smith:

Dogbutt
Nov 26, 2011

Look at my face.
I kinda liked Hanamura in the end. I thought the execution would just be boiled or something but jesus christ :smith:

Also this execution was in the opening if you pay attention. You can see the helicopter!

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Kytrarewn posted:

Celes wasn't burned at the stake; she was crushed by a fire engine.

Ineffiable posted:

Fine. I admit Leon is better but only if we assume Leon is fully conscious until his death and that Hanamura wasn't completely mentally aware besides the feeling of hot lava on his skin.

That wasn't lava; Monobear filled the volcano with cooking oil. If he had dropped Hanamura in lava, he wouldn't have dunked then floated back to the surface.

Melvino
Mar 21, 2013

I don't understand what's going on.
I expected Monobear to eat him at the end. I even covered my eyes with my palms and peeked through my fingers to make sure he wasn't.

Pretty brutal. Up there with Celes and Leon's. I didn't really like Hanamura until his last moments. What a bummer. At least I can fully enjoy him now.

The part that really struck hard was Monobear ignoring his last request. Just, ouch.

tomanton
May 22, 2006

beam me up, tomato
Well that was expected, and completely horrifying.

I didn't really have trouble following the Climax Inferences in the last go-round so my favourite upgrade to the minigame would definitely have to be the improved art quality. It used to just look like budget anime.

pyrrhickong
May 17, 2010

The Hell's "beefcake" mean anyway?
Perhaps it's just because that everything was done entirely on the island, but I feel myself getting less shaken from this than the DR1 executions? I suppose it's just that Monobear seemed fairly omnipotent in DR1, able to summon super motorcycle death cages and baseball fields and super conveyor belt crushers in order to execute students in exceptionally brutal ways. Here, it just feels like he's using what's given to him by the tropical theme and rolling with it; like 'oh I have a volcano. Instead of making a giant oven or giant novelty knife, I'm just going to use that and stuff these missiles with things'. I understand after the reveal of Monobear not being an omnipotent force in DR1 and the mystery behind him being lost through that reveal that a different method is necessary, but somehow Mondo's flashing eyes in neon lights scare me more than Hanamura's panic at being fried alive.

That said, god drat Komaeda, I know who I'm voting to spend time with all the time now. He's just so brutally and delightfully efficient, almost to a kind of flirty extent, ala Kefka or Gangrel from Fire Emblem Awakening, just with less actual murder and more mindfuckery and a hope fetish. Game is excellent at making him an enticing villain ala Syo, though to an even greater extent as he's more 'how he affects the other characters' rather than 'perpetual loose cannon'.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands
If the game doesn't eventually reveal that Hanamura's mom is doing fine and dandy and the restaurant is going super, then I'm just going to choose to assume that's what happened because holy god Hanamura deserves SOME kind of break after all that.

On an unrelated note, while going through the update (but before getting to the grimdark that was Hanamura's confession and execution) I couldn't help but think that Fatogami showing off his swank new night vision goggles would have made for an excellent avatar. Not sure what the title would be, though.

Tomn fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RefinedUndefined
Jan 1, 2013

Just burn everything, that'll solve your problems.

Tomn posted:

If the game doesn't eventually reveal that Hanamura's mom is doing fine and dandy and the restaurant is going super, then I'm just going to choose to assume that's what happened because holy god Hanamura deserves SOME kind of break after all that.

On an unrelated note, while going through the update (but before getting to the grimdark that was Hanamura's confession and execution) I couldn't help but think that Fatogami showing off his swank new night vision goggles would have made for an excellent avatar. Not sure what the title would be, though.

Then the scene that reveals that Hanamura's mum is alive will show her breaking down after being told what happened to him, for extra despair. Also, I like how this time, the students have an actual reason for not doing anything to stop the execution. I wonder if the other motives for the rest of the killers will be this depressing.

• Locked thread