Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

OUR PEOPLE WERE BORN OF THE SKY

Garfu posted:

Check out this sweet pic of Charlie and I:

How can you defend cafeteria if your eyes are closed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

Also we're gonna go play RIGHT NOW NS2GOONS <-- JOIN

GARFU how do I admin, it's not working

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

Cowcatcher posted:

I played the first NS, just bought NS2, looking forward to seeing yall in the game.

edit: I was able to connect earlier, but now when I try to connect it says my files do not match the server's files. Any ideas?

sincx fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 15, 2013

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Much like buttholes, families are meant to be tight.

Cowcatcher posted:

Sv_help, you've been added as admin for a while.

I'm gonna add DAK admin mod tomorrow so we can get some vote random going and hopefully start building up a little community around the 2 goon servers, to always have them full (especially NS2Goons now that it isn't yellow).

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

sincx posted:

I played the first NS, just bought NS2, looking forward to seeing yall in the game.

edit: I was able to connect earlier, but now when I try to connect it says my files do not match the server's files. Any ideas?

I'm having the same problem.

AgentF
May 11, 2009

TychoCelchuuu posted:

If that's the technical term for it, sure.

The polite term is "tired and emotional".

sincx
Jul 13, 2012

furiously masturbating to anime titties

apostateCourier posted:

I'm having the same problem.

I fixed it by following instruction #1 and #2 here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/4920/discussions/0/864951657941932674/

code:
#1 Go to the game in your Steam gamelist > right click it > click properties > Click Local files tab > Click the button to verify game cache and wait for it to download the new files.

#2 Nagivate to %appdata%/Natural Selection 2/ and completely delete that folder. After you do this verify your game cache as number 1.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Garfu posted:

Sv_help, you've been added as admin for a while.
Nah, neither of us have the admin icon and sv_help does nothing. We were playing around yesterday. Dunno why!

Speaking of playing around. CRAZY TIME on the ns2goons server with cheats enabled!

snaga
Jan 6, 2005

Any chance we could get some goon PUG action going sometime? Although I don't know if we can invite Garfu, dude's just gonna stomp us. :saddowns:

Edit:

snaga fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Apr 15, 2013

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Bhodi posted:

Nah, neither of us have the admin icon and sv_help does nothing. We were playing around yesterday. Dunno why!

Speaking of playing around. CRAZY TIME on the ns2goons server with cheats enabled!

You needed to spawn more harvesters, I was having a hard time upgrading everything fast enough. :( I think that game scared away a fair number of players, but the server filled out for most of the rest of the evening.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Please only do cheats if there are like 4 people on the server while waiting for it to seed, and turn it off then SWITCH THE MAP once a few more people join. You keep your cheated stuff if you don't turn it off before turning off cheats and without switching the map.

I'll fix broken admins when I'm home from work.

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Garfu posted:

Please only do cheats if there are like 4 people on the server while waiting for it to seed, and turn it off then SWITCH THE MAP once a few more people join. You keep your cheated stuff if you don't turn it off before turning off cheats and without switching the map.

I'll fix broken admins when I'm home from work.

I was commanding for aliens on that cheaty game and was probably the only person trying to play normal. I'm not even sure how to turn them on and off, is it just sv_cheats 1/0? I thought it didn't show up in the sv_help command listing, but I've been very wrong before.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Please tell me that cheat mode has the capability to produce infinite babblers. I need this.

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

I think this thread deserves a new title

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Natural Selection 2: By Gorge! :monocle:

Visual Sneeze
Mar 4, 2008

Rose City 'til I die!
I just played a game in the IBIS server and wound up with another known hacker who quickly shot up to 30-something kills as a marine without dying. I grabbed the NS2ID and such with the console command (it's 11685468) but the Google trick Fred Dawes shared a few pages back didn't work. I did, however, locate this YouTube video with his ID listed in the description and a link to his Steam Community page. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNLJfVF68uI

I think someone just asked this, but can the Goon server mods preemptively ban him or something? I just thought I'd share the info in case it was helpful to someone.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

sincx posted:

I fixed it by following instruction #1 and #2 here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/4920/discussions/0/864951657941932674/

#1 Go to the game in your Steam gamelist > right click it > click properties > Click Local files tab > Click the button to verify game cache and wait for it to download the new files.

#2 Nagivate to %appdata%/Natural Selection 2/ and completely delete that folder. After you do this verify your game cache as number 1.

So I'm getting this error as well except nobody is going to delete their entire install folder just to download it all over again. That's not a solution. Do you format Windows every time you see a bsod?

Any ways, I looked into the timing and it seems to be happening on the mod integrity verifying stage. I don't see a way with the tools I have to force mod updates on the server so we'll have to wait for Garfu to be around.

e: for tables who even uses code tags anymore

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Apr 16, 2013

snaga
Jan 6, 2005

Eh, %appdata% has user data plus mods. 252 MB for me.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Oh sorry, I'm tired and thought we were talking about the main for some reason. Typing that into explorer brought me there. Let's see if this works.

e: Yep that worked, I'm the rear end in a top hat.

Zigmidge fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 16, 2013

DrGreatJob
Oct 3, 2006

we fuck each other very well and we have a lot of energy from eating plantfoods
Haven't played this since the first month it was out (and months or years of beta before that.) Have they totally hosed the game, improved it, or done nothing since then? I kinda want to get back into it, but an update totally hosed one of my friends' FPS and we quit playing because of that. I want to ask before having us all re-download the game.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

DrGreatJob posted:

Haven't played this since the first month it was out (and months or years of beta before that.) Have they totally hosed the game, improved it, or done nothing since then? I kinda want to get back into it, but an update totally hosed one of my friends' FPS and we quit playing because of that. I want to ask before having us all re-download the game.

Improved quite a bit.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I feel like they've improved it a lot. Performance, gameplay, balance are all much better than they have been in the past.

To make up for my earlier rudeness I'm idling on the server seeding it. Join up!

snaga
Jan 6, 2005

That was fun! Friendly advice though: If you're a skulk and you hear Garfu is on the field, for the love of god stay on the other side of the map. :negative:

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Marines tell stories to their kids of skulks hiding beneath their beds, waiting to eat their toes. Kharaa tell stories of Garfu hiding in the vents, waiting to shotgun their faces off.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bummer how there are so few players now. I havent played a game in like a week because there are only like 2 servers with people on them and only one of them is in the US and it is on the west coast.

I know there is more people on during peak times at night and such but I used to be able to play at like 3pm est no problem.

Buckwheat Sings
Feb 9, 2005

Limastock posted:

Bummer how there are so few players now. I havent played a game in like a week because there are only like 2 servers with people on them and only one of them is in the US and it is on the west coast.

I know there is more people on during peak times at night and such but I used to be able to play at like 3pm est no problem.

What do you mean by few players? I see loads of them whenever I pop on but it's usually around the same time. I guess peak times are the only times?

Buckwheat Sings fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 17, 2013

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

I've noticed from the vocal range and topics of discussion of other players tends to imply the vast majority of the fan base tends to be mid 20s and up. So most ns2 players no doubt have day jobs or postsecondary obligations.

Despite the low counts I like this fact. I used to play cod4 a lot so I really like this fact.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Limastock posted:

? It's 3 pm est right now and there are around 1200 people playing NS2. Do you have your server filters borked?

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

Limastock posted:

You probably have filter full checked? There are lots of servers full at all times of the day in all timezones..

Cowcatcher
Dec 23, 2005

For good times, join NS2Goons now

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010
Drunken NS2 is always good NS2, because usually whenever I get a chance to drink is after I die. I get good at a certain BAC, so when I live longer because I'm blitzed, I don't drink, and eventually get bad again, making me die more, thus drink more.. It's a self-correcting cycle.

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

Man there were some awful games in ns2goons this evening.

qwertyasdf fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Apr 18, 2013

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

Addict posted:

Man there were some awful games in ns2goons this evening.

Define awful. Most weren't so bad, but I get angry and yell when three marines go 20-0 on tram. :/ I blame it on the Asian aimbots.

qwertyasdf
Nov 11, 2003

DelphiAegis posted:

Define awful. Most weren't so bad, but I get angry and yell when three marines go 20-0 on tram. :/ I blame it on the Asian aimbots.

A string of commanders who never chatted with their team, along with teamstacking, so it never felt like an actual game the entire night. Just waiting to die.

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Yeah, I was dead-dog-tired and didn't join in last night. Clearly it's all my fault, then. Clearly.

Garfu
Mar 6, 2008

I keep forgetting to add in the voterandom mod, hopefully I'll get to it tonight

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Garfu posted:

You probably have filter full checked? There are lots of servers full at all times of the day in all timezones..

No filters at all, but today more servers are showing up for some reason. :iiam:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Limastock posted:

No filters at all, but today more servers are showing up for some reason. :iiam:
What's your ping threshold filter set to? If it's set pretty low you'll get wildly varying amounts of servers listed from day to day.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here is what I see sorted by players at 10:30 EST:

As you can see, no filters at all, even for ping threshold.

/edit

Now this for 10am of course so this is to be expected, but around 3pm i wasnt seeing anything at all really. I dont know why.

a creepy colon fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Apr 18, 2013

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Something must be wrong with your list, I see several hundred people over 2+ pages at mostly full servers if I turn off all filters. Granted they are mostly EU servers with pings of over 100, but it is early morning here in America.

edit: Just noticed your total number of servers is 106, mine was close to 500.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Yeah, you're missing about 400 severs there.

A quick googling says to try moving your performance slider away from 0 and checking your max pings per minute setting in Steam.

• Locked thread