Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bummey
May 26, 2004

you are a filth wizard, friend only to the grumpig and the rattata

Trillest Parrot posted:

Understandable, I've been trying not to drop $650 to upgrade my iPhone 4 for about 3 weeks now because it's so sluggish. God drat those things are expensive if you don't want to renew your contract.

The 4 is starting to show its age. Even in what I consider to be relatively simple games I'll notice some slow down and France loss in inexplicable areas.

Bummey fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 15, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
France loss is inevitable.

Funso Banjo
Dec 22, 2003

What is France loss? Had iDevices for years and years, haven't come across whatever this is.

I was assuming it was some auto-correct silliness.

Funso Banjo fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Apr 15, 2013

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I think he meant frame.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Erp. Frame loss. Sleepytyping

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I still say France is going to lose.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

LASER BEAM DREAM posted:

Ok, I'm missing something really basic in TWEWY. How do I see what my characters current stats are? When I go to the items menu I can estimate what BRV I'm at by trying different threads, but there has to be a better way.

I haven't played in a while, but I remember them being in the equip cloths and food selection screen. Here is a tip, you can get your defense so high the enemy can't hurt you.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Toulouse more like TouLOSE, am I right? :haw:

89 posted:

Also, any decent simulations along the lines of Rollercoaster Tycoon or Tropico?

If you don't already, you'll be pleased to know that Roller Coaster Tycoon is allegedly coming to iOS in late April.

In the meantime, have you played that one goon-made (goon-worked-on?) roller coaster game, Coaster Crazy? It's not exactly what you're asking for, but you get to design and test roller coasters for a series of theme parks, trying to make a profit and also not kill people. I haven't touched it in a long time, but I do remember it keeping me entertained for a while.

iron_weasel
Oct 17, 2011

But then a tea bowl that is too perfect has no charm.

Allan Assiduity posted:

With regards to Rigonauts, can I ask if you're meant to be able to shoot through your own Bits? I've had some mixed experiences with getting it to work, which makes me wonder if the times it does work are glitches or if the times it fails to are. Or is it a specific ideal of some things shoot through, other things don't?

Obviously the enemies can, of course.

The laser is the only weapon that shoots through friendly pieces all other shots should hit the first thing they collide with. However, if you work hard you might be able to get tunneling.

This would most likely happen in cases where you are shooting through a very narrow collision volume or in cases where there is a lot of radial motion.

Beef Assistant posted:

I loving suck at slayin

Heh, my ol' buddy from Capcom made that game. Hope you are liking it.

iron_weasel fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 15, 2013

iron_weasel
Oct 17, 2011

But then a tea bowl that is too perfect has no charm.

TACD posted:

Rigonauts: I want to buy it but I'm not sure whether it would play better on Steam (PC) or iOS. Are there any differences between the two versions, do the controls work better in one?

When it comes to the main interface and game as a whole the feedback has been mixed. I would say I prefer the interface on the PC since it is the original. However, some people are telling me they find building in a touch interface more natural. Also, the mobile version has had a slightly better reception I think because it feels more delux when compared to other mobile games.

Other notes on differences:
-PC version looks better. Mostly this is due to texture compression. But there are a few animations left out of mobile version. And PC has more particles.
-In the second world we introduce a physics bridge on the PC version. For mobile, the bridge is frozen in place as the number of calculations lead unacceptably low performance. EDIT: Just playing new iOS build and realized we didn't do that. We almost did but made up the speed somewhere else. So the wobble bridge is in all versions.
-PC has steam achievements obviously.
-And...ahem...:blush:...the PC version is more stable...but there is a new version on the way that a) lowers mem usage by 1/3rd for more stability c) corrects an evil save corrupting bug d) will look better since we changed texture compression.

Hope this helps make a decision. And if you like the game please tell every person you meet on the street to buy it.

iron_weasel fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 15, 2013

y_3
Aug 18, 2010

iron_weasel posted:

Heh, my ol' buddy from Capcom made that game. Hope you are liking it.

It's good and handsome as hell

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

iron_weasel posted:

When it comes to the main interface and game as a whole the feedback has been mixed. I would say I prefer the interface on the PC since it is the original. However, some people are telling me they find building in a touch interface more natural. Also, the mobile version has had a slightly better reception I think because it feels more delux when compared to other mobile games.
Thanks for all the information! I'll most likely get the Steam version then, as I generally prefer to have games there unless there's a distinct benefit to the iPad version.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!
So I accidentally clicked "don't ask again" when the injustice app asked me to rate it. What is the easiest way to reset that? They apparently locked a costume unlock behind that and I cannot get it to prompt me. :(

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Try just rating the app in the app store?

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Delete and reinstall, then you'll probably get the pop up again.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Bummey posted:

Delete and reinstall, then you'll probably get the pop up again.

Cool, I'll back up my save I guess.

I tried just rating it in the store to no avail.

I even created a new account to see if that would prompt it. :sigh:

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat
Kairosoft's Pocket League Story and Café Nipponica are currently a dollar.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Trustworthy posted:

If you don't already, you'll be pleased to know that Roller Coaster Tycoon is allegedly coming to iOS in late April.

Wow, really? God I hope this turns out better than that Theme Park port :smith:

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
I wonder how well they'll maintain the feel of the original...or will they use RCT3 style 3D? I highly doubt it's a port since the original was written in assembly.

hypnorotic
May 4, 2009
What's the best terreria type game currently out? I just tried Deepworld and it seems alright but I don't really want to invest a bunch of time if there's something better out there.

Stormfang1502
Jan 26, 2003

The enemy is anybody who's going to get you killed, no matter which side he's on.

hypnorotic posted:

What's the best terreria type game currently out? I just tried Deepworld and it seems alright but I don't really want to invest a bunch of time if there's something better out there.

Junk Jack is my favorite 2D block builder for iOS.

http://appshopper.com/games/junk-jack

Bummey
May 26, 2004

Deepworld is bad. Blockheads is probably better but the timer system is kind of terrible. Junk Jack is pretty okay, too.

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

duckfarts posted:

Kairosoft's Pocket League Story and Café Nipponica are currently a dollar.

Are they worth anything? I've been unable to get into Kairosoft games since playing Game Dev Story and Mall Story. They just seemed like more of the same.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

Iacen posted:

Are they worth anything? I've been unable to get into Kairosoft games since playing Game Dev Story and Mall Story. They just seemed like more of the same.

Pocket League is really great if you enjoy more RPG-ish elements to the sim building. I also recommend Grand Prix Story, definitely their best title.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Bummey posted:

Deepworld is bad. Blockheads is probably better but the timer system is kind of terrible. Junk Jack is pretty okay, too.

The Blockheads is great ever since the update that lets timers run in the background. He's also adding a Mac server so you can play with people online.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Iacen posted:

PLS is pretty fun. Cafe is okay if you're into it pretty deep, but otherwise it's a bit too complex.

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
Pocket League and Grand Prix Story are basically both a better/worse version of Game Dev story. You get to see a somewhat random but stats-based playout on your work instead of just some bars and a score on your game. The worse part comes in where you have to watch it and you would rather not.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Junk jack works pretty nicely if you want the mine/subterranean exploration of minecraft but prefer charming sprites over 3D models.

My only real gripe is that I wish they had a better way to hand you recipes than just randomly discovering pages. Successfully making an object doesn't add it so you either need a good memory, an online resource you're happy to keep referring to (there is an ingame link to the wikia) or be lucky enough to find the corresponding page.
That said, I love the way the lighting works in it and that monsters can only spawn in the dark.
There's also a 'peaceful mode' if you just want to create and explore without being attacked. But you obviously can't get items they drop if you turn mobs off.

Vanilla Mint Ice
Jul 17, 2007

A raccoon is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits.
I would not say Cafe Nippon was complex at all, it's also not very good. It's extremely flawed in that having a diverse menu works against you so it's better to just have a single super food and that the worker classes are also not very well thought out.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

eeenmachine posted:

The Blockheads is great ever since the update that lets timers run in the background. He's also adding a Mac server so you can play with people online.

The backgrounding would be a lot better if your character would automatically refuel crafting stations. Until that gets implemented, it doesn't change a thing.

robodex
Jun 6, 2007

They're what's for dinner
Is The Blockheads actually good? Every time I see it all I can think is "hooray, another terrible app store minecraft knockoff" and it boggles my mind that it could actually be a good game.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

robodex posted:

Is The Blockheads actually good? Every time I see it all I can think is "hooray, another terrible app store minecraft knockoff" and it boggles my mind that it could actually be a good game.

It is a really good game.

Bummey
May 26, 2004

It is pretty good but every action has a timer, and the crafting timers are loving slow even with the double speed iap.

eeenmachine
Feb 2, 2004

BUY MORE CRABS

Bummey posted:

It is pretty good but every action has a timer, and the crafting timers are loving slow even with the double speed iap.

They aren't so long you can't build things like this with a little work: http://www.theblockheads.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2261&d=1365947307

Bummey
May 26, 2004

eeenmachine posted:

They aren't so long you can't build things like this with a little work: http://www.theblockheads.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2261&d=1365947307

They are pretty awful. At the end of a mining trip I'll usually have about 300 of each ore, if not more. Smelting all that poo poo takes an hour or two, while it only took about one tenth that amount of time to gather.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Beastie Bay is probably Kairosoft's meatiest entry ever. There's just so much poo poo to do everywhere!

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

I've slowly been approaching my patience limit for freemium games, and I think Pixel People has finally pushed me over the edge. Which it tragic, because I want to love it so much...I love the art style, the city building, the gene splicing, the neat little things buildings do, etc. But I am not tapping on goddamned buildings for three days straight just so I can get another 10 squares to build things on.

So I'm ready to spend actual money on a city building game that's not going to tell me when I can or can't play the loving thing. Given what I love about Pixel People, what would be some goon-recommended options?

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
People think there are differences between Kairosoft games?

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy

SynthOrange posted:

Beastie Bay is probably Kairosoft's meatiest entry ever. There's just so much poo poo to do everywhere!

Everything. Happens.

So.

Slowly.

I felt like I was always waiting for my guy to do something instead of actually doing something in Beastie Bay. I couldn't hack it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Zombie Samurai posted:

So I'm ready to spend actual money on a city building game that's not going to tell me when I can or can't play the loving thing. Given what I love about Pixel People, what would be some goon-recommended options?
As far as I know there are no serious games of this genre on iOS :(

Unless you want to play the port of Yoot Tower, which works very well but is absolutely a straight port of the original, with no touch-specific modifications.

• Locked thread