Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

DiabloCthulhu posted:

Orenronen, is it okay to bring up birthdays of characters from DR1? As far as I know, they're not posted in the DR1 thread, but I remember people wishing happy birthdays there.

*Translator's Note: Odanjyoubi omedatou means happy birthday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I told you that story in confidence Merc...

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Merc what the gently caress man I -

Tesseraction posted:

I told you that story in confidence Merc...

I mean, hey everybody, look at this loser! Hahaha ah haha

VoidBurger
Jul 18, 2008

A leap into the void.
The burger in space.

Mercury Hat posted:

I believe this is what is known in Japan as... sugoi.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son

Mercury Hat posted:

Ehh, I've seen worse.

(I certainly wish I hadn't, though)

zetsubous
Feb 19, 2013

Mercury Hat posted:

The comic itself is super cute, but the Japanese needed checking... it's "oTanjyoubi omedEtou."

Well, I thought it was cute.

LambdaDelta
Feb 22, 2012

Calico Heart posted:

Hanamura I'm iffy on, but Mondo gets none of my sympathy. Anyone who violently beats a little girl to death (Okay, his gender was male, but he had the physical strength and timidness of a little girl) out of petty jealousy and shame deserves nothing. Especially considering he was perfectly willing to go with "Yeah, it was Sho/Togami!" and doom everyone else to death. Mondo was a major rear end in a top hat.

I think this is a little bit of a misrepresentation of how the Mondo case went. First, Chihiro was not "violently beaten to death". The case file says the murder was caused by a single blow to the back of the head, which is a lot different from what you're describing. It shows, and the trial+ Monobear confirm, that Mondo had a sudden realization of his weakness and panicked, "ending up" killing Chihiro for her inner strength. This alone would be enough for me to maybe consider him a character I could pity, just because of the hosed up situation they're all put in, and having already watched 3 classmates die.

But it doesn't end there. Mondo's actions in covering up Chihiro's birth sex speak volumes for his character. The actions specifically he took in destroying the Student ID card of Chihiro are key here. That wasn't really a necessary thing to do to cover up his involvement in the murder (and obviously he didn't want to be caught, he wanted to keep his gang together), so why did he do it? He did it to protect Chihiro's secret, because it was told in confidence to him. And his moral code, along with his friendship to Chihiro, made him do a bunch of crazy convoluted things to keep her secret safe.

These actions speak to me as coming from a character I can feel sorry for, and that I think outside of a huge mistake (not to make light of what essentially equates to Manslaughter) Mondo was a decent guy.

And I just felt like Hanamura's case drew a lot of parallels.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

zetsubous posted:

The comic itself is super cute, but the Japanese needed checking... it's "oTanjyoubi omedEtou."

Oregato gozeimasu I will take your comments into consideration.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

Tomn posted:

Why, yes, teenagers should indeed have better control of themselves and willingly agree to their own deaths!

Self-sacrifice may be the moral thing to do, but why is anyone assuming that moral courage, particularly when it comes to your own friggin' death, is ever easy? Half the reason why making a moral stand is respected at all is because it's so drat hard to come up to scratch when your number is called. Not everyone can pull a Sakura.
Sorry, my comment was poorly written. I meant Mondo should have enough control of himself to not attack people when he gets angry. His first instinct when he's angry should not be to harm other people, but it was. I agree with your post, though. Being self-sacrifing is hard, but in this situation, it was Mondo's responsibility to bear. Whether through accident or malice, he killed someone, and he was planning to let the rest of them die. Mondo made his decision at the trial. I'm not trying to paint Mondo as evil or anything, but I do disagree with the notion that Mondo was a much better person than any of the other murderers from the first game.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Zereth posted:

... Is it just me or was that execution significantly less physically possible than anything in the first game, even if you ignore that volcanoes don't work that way? Summoning a giant flour bomb out of thin air somehow and so on. Monobear seems to be outright magic this time around.

Plus Monomi literally turning a farm animal into a cow before our characters' eyes and there's something really weird going on here.

The ridiculousness of the execution didn't throw me that much (although the boiling-oil volcano was a little over-elaborate even for the game that gave us Versailles Witch Burn Fire Truck), but what I noticed is that the other students are watching it on a screen, whereas all the DR1 executions were live-spectation events. That's probably just because of the mobile nature of this execution, but it made me wonder if something's up. (I'm assuming this game goes by DR1's "dead people are dead" rule, and I can't see any easy way that Monobear could have faked this, but... it's odd.)

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Mercury Hat posted:

So is this how Yamada see's himself?

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
Holy poo poo that smug Hanamura pig is the best. Teruteru's backstory was maudlin and Komaeda's going to end up living to the end like Syo for reasons that are increasingly inexplicable, but that is an amazing pig-man.

Tacticool Togami was great too.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

GrizzlyCow posted:

I do disagree with the notion that Mondo was a much better person than any of the other murderers from the first game.

I basically agree with this statement, but I think it's an important theme of the first game that all of the murderers are at least somewhat sympathetic, with the possible exception of Celes. If Mondo edges out the others in sympathy, it's because his murder was clearly the least premeditated of the lot, a crime of stress and mental weakness more than malice; Leon is largely in the same category, and has the benefit of not knowing that "graduation" would doom everyone and not just his victim, but still committed a more premeditated crime (breaking into the bathroom to finish Maizono off). Yamada's crime was pretty callously premeditated, but he was also working on false information and being played like a fiddle by Celes... and Celes herself, for all her cruelty, earns a tiny bit of sympathy by virtue of still being a stupid teenager who lived more in fantasy than the real world. DR1 is really good at not making any of its killers cackling supervillains -- well, until Junko, at least, but she works better for being contrasted with relatively realistic characters.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

So I'm halfway through the latest update and I promise that I'll read every post before I post again, but, man-

The murdergoblin template looks awesome using a tablecloth for a cape, and with a bone skewer. Nobody has ever looked that awesome wearing a sheet, and I just tried it. Can someone please draw what Hanamura would look like wearing the same thing? I somehow doubt he could pull if off without that murdergoblin figure.

Pester fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 17, 2013

ButterPeanut
Oct 29, 2012

Goes great with bread.
That first trial was... pretty messed up. I wonder if someone actually will (try to) kill Komaeda to protect the group. Though, if their heart's really in the right place, that might lead to one of the shortest trial's ever. Unless it's like a series of crazy circumstances like in Sakura's case where multiple people are convinced that they in fact are the killer.

Also, I admit I was kinda worried when Monobear introduced his cadre of giant robo/animal death machines that all the executions would be a lot less creative this time around, but that was actually a lot more effort than many of the other ones from the last game. Mondo's in particular wasn't really too impressive, in retrospect. Plus he took it like the complete bancho that he was. (Or is! In my version of events Monobear actually teleported him back to his parent's house in Japan, whereupon he traveled to not-Kyoto to prove that he is in fact the single most badass high schooler amongst all of his peers throughout the entire country. Monobear was able to replicate Doc Brown technology on a smaller vehicle using the apparently-infinite supply of money that he has to splurge on his executions.)

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Pester posted:

The murdergoblin template looks awesome using a tablecloth for a cape, and with a bone skewer. Nobody has ever looked that awesome wearing a sheet, and I just tried it. Can someone please draw what Hanamura would look like wearing the same thing? I somehow doubt he could pull if off without that murdergoblin figure.

Okay.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Now he just looks like a marshmallow. A delicious fried marshmallow.

Adrastus
Apr 1, 2012

by toby

zetsubous posted:

It's not supposed to come across as cute. It's supposed to be pathetic and creepy, wishing happy birthday to a fictional character.

RainbowCake
Apr 1, 2010

Refurbished cats may have scratches, dents or other forms of cosmetic damage which do not affect the performance of the unit.

zetsubous posted:

It is a joke. It is a joke intending to make fun of people who do these things.
Maybe you should take some time to check out the rest of the forums, SA is pretty different from Tumblr.

e: gently caress this is what I get for not refreshing before posting :downs:

TheDavies
Mar 27, 2010

Adrastus posted:

It's not supposed to come across as cute. It's supposed to be pathetic and creepy, wishing happy birthday to a fictional character.

Then it failed to do so, and the author is more pathetic than those he or she would mock for his or her failure.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Armanky
Feb 15, 2013

"Kissing is sex."
-George Costanza

Mercury Hat posted:

I'm gonna keep a personal tally of how many people wind up praising/relating to this unironically. Bonus points if they correct you with Asahina's actual birthday (assuming you just pulled April 24th out of your rear end).

This is perfect and thank you for making it. Totally looks like something Nedroid would come up with.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
I feel like the Volcano death would have more of an impact if Hanamura didn't look like a Parappa The Rapper reject character in that scene.

"Kick! Punch! It's all in my mind! It's all in my OH GOD WHY"

Gensuki posted:

What is the earliest instance of groups of teenagers being forced to kill each other? It would be nice whenever someone brings up Battle Royale to just go 'actually...'

Pretty sure people bring up Battle Royale because it basically defined the genre (even if it didn't necessarily create it).

Mercury Hat posted:

These are both amazing.

Adrastus
Apr 1, 2012

by toby

TheDavies posted:

Then it failed to do so, and the author is more pathetic than those he or she would mock for his or her failure.

Hahaha you sound mad as hell. Are you one of those people that the comic is making fun of? Is that why you took offense?

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

TheDavies posted:

Yeah, but you're more pathetic than both.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

LambdaDelta posted:

I think this is a little bit of a misrepresentation of how the Mondo case went. First, Chihiro was not "violently beaten to death". The case file says the murder was caused by a single blow to the back of the head, which is a lot different from what you're describing. It shows, and the trial+ Monobear confirm, that Mondo had a sudden realization of his weakness and panicked, "ending up" killing Chihiro for her inner strength. This alone would be enough for me to maybe consider him a character I could pity, just because of the hosed up situation they're all put in, and having already watched 3 classmates die.

But it doesn't end there. Mondo's actions in covering up Chihiro's birth sex speak volumes for his character. The actions specifically he took in destroying the Student ID card of Chihiro are key here. That wasn't really a necessary thing to do to cover up his involvement in the murder (and obviously he didn't want to be caught, he wanted to keep his gang together), so why did he do it? He did it to protect Chihiro's secret, because it was told in confidence to him. And his moral code, along with his friendship to Chihiro, made him do a bunch of crazy convoluted things to keep her secret safe.

These actions speak to me as coming from a character I can feel sorry for, and that I think outside of a huge mistake (not to make light of what essentially equates to Manslaughter) Mondo was a decent guy.

And I just felt like Hanamura's case drew a lot of parallels.

I don't think you can kill someone with a dumbbell non-violently. Also, I feel I should mention - in the game dialogue, Mondo says he covered up Chihiro's sex because he didn't want to "break a promise". To me, this doesn't necessarily mean he did it to actively protect Chihiro - or rather I should say, that he cared about protecting Chihiro. He simply cared about his promise to himself that he would never break a promise. Think of it as an Omerta, perhaps. This isn't a point I'll fight that hard, but I feel it should be pointed out that Mondo may not be as dedicated to his friend as he's perceived to be.

I also think that it speaks volumes of the guy that when he feels jealous enough, he had a violent outburst and killed someone who was his friend and trusted him. He never planned to kill anyone, sure, but let's really think about this. Chihiro wasn't some rear end in a top hat who was always getting on his nerves. There was no build-up, with him being pushed slowly into it day by day and eventually snapping. Instead, he had the instant reaction to being shamed by someone half his weight who would never fight back of murdering them.

Calico Heart fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Apr 17, 2013

ButterPeanut
Oct 29, 2012

Goes great with bread.

Lance Streetman posted:

I feel like the Volcano death would have more of an impact if Hanamura didn't look like a Parappa The Rapper reject character in that scene.

I agree, the whole Paper Mario sort of thing was being taken a little too far at that point. They could've at least positioned Hanamura in those scenes in a way where he clearly wasn't just two-dimensional. But on the other hand, I'm not really sure exactly what a person falling into liquid-hot magma is supposed to actually look like. For all I know, maybe they did try something like that and it was just goofy-looking giving the limitations they'd already started using. Or maybe it was considered just too violent? I think someone explained once that blood is cotton-candy-colored in DR because of censorship rules, but while the executions have been really violent I feel like there's a threshold. You don't see the fire truck smashing into Celes, or Mondo actually burning to a crisp. (In fact, the murder scenes have always been way creepier to me--even with the gobs of pink blood, scenes like Maizono's in the first game or Togami's in this one REALLY stick out in my memory. The only comparable execution's probably been the very first one in DR1, given the victim's incredulous look as it's taking place and the length & degree of physical pain that it would have involved.)

Calico Heart posted:

I also think that it speaks volumes of the guy that when he feels jealous enough, he had a violent outburst and killed someone who was his friend and trusted him. He never planned to kill anyone, sure, but let's really think about this. Chihiro wasn't some rear end in a top hat who was always getting on his nerves. There was no build-up, with him being pushed slowly into it day by day and eventually snapping. Instead, he had the instant reaction to being shamed by someone half his weight who would never fight back of murdering them.

Oh, I dunno about all that... I feel like, until you've been put in a situation where you kill your brother in a motorcycle race in a moment of weakness, AND you're both juvenile delinquents AND you're both Japanese, it's really unfair for you to put so much blame on Mondo for the way he reacted to Chihiro. You're sounding like you've never even seen the movie the Breakfast Club!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

antonekens posted:

But on the other hand, I'm not really sure exactly what a person falling into liquid-hot magma is supposed to actually look like.
They'd burst into flames.

... And then hit the lava. And probably wouldn't sink into it.

ArcadeBumstead
Apr 3, 2008

Saccharomyces cerevisiae is a species of yeast. It is perhaps the most useful yeast, having been instrumental to winemaking, baking and brewing since ancient times. It is believed that it was originally isolated from the skin of grapes (one can see the yeast as a component of the thin white film on
The reason it is not realistic is because looney tunes violence with a sympathetic character and fatal consequences is part of the game's unique unsettling atmosphere.

If Wile E Coyote falls out of an airplane he gets squished like a pancake but you know he'll be back. But this isn't Wile E Coyote. You don't need to see a horrible charred body to make the connection that Hanamura is never going to see his mother again. But making a big people sized tempura in a volcano is also kind of funny. But seriously he burnt to death. Which one am I supposed to feel? That's why the scenes look like that.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
He killed to try to go back to his mom, I see. :smith: Although I do wonder how that conversation would play out...

"hey mom I am back, and I only had to outright murder one of my peers, and sentence 14 others to be executed! so how have things been with you?"

Radian Angle
Oct 29, 2012

Zereth posted:

They'd burst into flames.

... And then hit the lava. And probably wouldn't sink into it.

Just learn to hold your breath and you won't drown in the lava.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

NextTime000 posted:

He killed to try to go back to his mom, I see. :smith: Although I do wonder how that conversation would play out...

"hey mom I am back, and I only had to outright murder one of my peers, and sentence 14 others to be executed! so how have things been with you?"

I imagine the conversation would look more like "Hi, mom! I'm home now and absolutely nothing happened, not a single thing. Nope. nothin' at all. How are you?"

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Crowetron posted:

I imagine the conversation would look more like "Hi, mom! I'm home now and absolutely nothing happened, not a single thing. Nope. nothin' at all. How are you?"

There's a thought for you - suppose that someone DID kill someone else successfully and graduate. It seems a very Monobear thing to do would be for the graduating student to press a button to go free...and also kick off all the executions of every other student, one by one, right in front of the remaining students and the graduate while the ones left in the queue plead and beg and scream and curse out the graduate.

Congratulations, you graduated, enjoy your lasting mental trauma!

zetsubous
Feb 19, 2013

RainbowCake posted:

It is a joke. It is a joke intending to make fun of people who do these things.
Maybe you should take some time to check out the rest of the forums, SA is pretty different from Tumblr.

e: gently caress this is what I get for not refreshing before posting :downs:

Yeah, I got it after the reply to my comment. I think my problem is I'm actually TOO used to the internet outside where people do stuff like that in all earnestness. I'm also too inclined to be complimentary when a piece of fanart isn't a tentacle-covered moeblob with giant breasts or something similarly awful.

Edit: To get this back on the DR topic...

quote:

Also, I feel I should mention - in the game dialogue, Mondo says he covered up Chihiro's sex because he didn't want to "break a promise". To me, this doesn't necessarily mean he did it to actively protect Chihiro - or rather I should say, that he cared about protecting Chihiro. He simply cared about his promise to himself that he would never break a promise. Think of it as an Omerta, perhaps. This isn't a point I'll fight that hard, but I feel it should be pointed out that Mondo may not be as dedicated to his friend as he's perceived to be.

I don't know, I think at this point it's really just a matter of interpretation and potentially personal bias. I did take it as protecting Chihiro and I don't think there's necessarily evidence to indicate that it wasn't, but it's also possible that there's no particularly strong evidence that it was. I would certainly find him a lot more sympathetic if that's what it was, because I wasn't especially moved by the stuff with his brother (as with the Hanamura backstory I found it a little bit over-the-top in a way that wasn't as satisfying as, say, Junko's OTTness) but I am still inclined to want to like Mondo.

zetsubous fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Apr 17, 2013

Radian Angle
Oct 29, 2012

Tomn posted:

There's a thought for you - suppose that someone DID kill someone else successfully and graduate. It seems a very Monobear thing to do would be for the graduating student to press a button to go free...and also kick off all the executions of every other student, one by one, right in front of the remaining students and the graduate while the ones left in the queue plead and beg and scream and curse out the graduate.

Congratulations, you graduated, enjoy your lasting mental trauma!

Still.
Some would be less bothered by that than others...

I actually tried to find the panel where her inner monologue has her claiming she'd trade a year of her life for "the death of these idiots".

Radian Angle fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 17, 2013

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
That image looks interesting. Which manga/comic is it from?

On an unrelated note, does anyone think that Junko doesn't really understand despair? Just think of the despairing happenings in our normal boring world:

- The annual destruction via natural disasters that could have been prevented;

- The senseless loss of life in battles that stem from hatred and fear (note that Junko dismissed Mukuro's talent, which contribute much to war, as being obsolete);

- The many sufferings of non-human creatures: think of the caterpillar that becomes the helpless host of parasitoids, sometimes even defending for its killers as they eat it inside out, or the plight of a beached whale as its very weight crushed it to death (Zorak can probably elaborate way better than I do);

- The very laws of nature itself: for instance, the fact that the increase of entropy in any closed system is irreversible.

and so on and on.

This is just a little list popped off the top of the head of a college graduate, but Junko, the super-genius that has supposedly orchestrated a worldwide event of despair and (indirectly?) caused the society's symbol of hope to shut down, think that making her classmate kill themselves and execute herself are the ultimate in despair. Granted, those are supposed to be super-talented student from a school representing hope, but those are but a drop in the bucket compared to the things above.

By they way, it grated me that a supposedly genius can only talk "despair despair despair" when she opens her mouth. I don't expect DR0's author to be Yukio Mishima and write awesome stuff like "Let the darkness of my heart [...] equal the darkness of the night which encloses those countless lights!", but still.

:goonsay:

EDIT - Changed the link for the caterpillar defender to a video because I want you all to fear and despair Biology is awesome :science:

Jeek fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 18, 2013

Buzzsaw Roomba
Feb 14, 2012

Christ, what an asshole.

Jeek posted:

On an unrelated note, does anyone think that Junko doesn't really understand despair? Just think of the despairing happenings in our normal boring world:

Those things can be depressing to think about, but people find ways to keep going, to find some kind of 'hope' for the future to hold on to. Junko's despair comes from the spectacle of these idolized kids killing each other.

Also, a game based around those kinds of things wouldn't be much fun.

thelarue
Mar 5, 2013

Jeek posted:

On an interesting note, I think Junko and Mukuro had different tastes for despair as you can understand. Mukuro was a soldier and reveled in real world despair (probably), because war is terrible: people die, get raped, have homes/lives destroyed, and that is the kind of despair that everyone faces every day.

Shieldhill posted:

Those things can be depressing to think about, but people find ways to keep going, to find some kind of 'hope' for the future to hold on to. Junko's despair comes from the spectacle of these idolized kids killing each other.

Also, a game based around those kinds of things wouldn't be much fun.

Like Shieldhill says, Junko despair comes from spectacle. I would go even further and say she is a fan of utterly senseless despair. While war happens for, arguable, legitimate reasons and battle royale is a despairing spectacle for those participating (which I imagine Junko probably enjoys), I think reasonless, senseless killing between people who are close friends (and only Junko and Mukuro knew these kids were all really close) is probably the most orgasmic thing she could come up with.

Basically, Junko and Mukuro enjoyed, probably, different forms of despair.

BigDB
Mar 21, 2013

Amazing picture and now we need an edit of this after he commits the murder covered in blood

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

Jeek posted:

This is just a little list popped off the top of the head of a college graduate, but Junko, the super-genius that has supposedly orchestrated a worldwide event of despair and (indirectly?) caused the society's symbol of hope to shut down, think that making her classmate kill themselves and execute herself are the ultimate in despair.

Genius does not always equal maturity. Heck, many times it means the exact opposite. Junko is, for all her plot-granted brainpower, still just a teenager.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tazzypillar
Sep 16, 2011

The best guy.
I have to say I'm pretty glad Teruteru is gone if only because it means no more of his loving creepy rear end sex jokes. I was glad about yamada for the same reasons. Still, the game made him sympathetic by the end (which is depressing I WANTED TO KEEP DISLIKING HIM CURSE YOU GAME)

looking forward to the game a million times more with him gone. Hopefully there'll be no more fan service from nurse girl either.

• Locked thread