Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Rurutia fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Apr 18, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
I would recommend letting them make an offer first without revealing the total comp number even in those circumstances. They already know what they are willing to pay for the position and what they want to pay for the position, so I doubt any anchoring effect from throwing out a number first would work.

I would suggest only using his current total comp if their first offer is low, and even then only obliquely (eg. "I would need $current_salary to $current_salary+x for this move to make sense" rather than "I currently make $current_salary, can you at least match"). This gives them less of an excuse to try and weasel you by claiming their total comp is higher than it really is by counting free food in their cafeteria or somesuch, and has the additional benefit of not making you a liar if your initial dodge of the current salary question was "that's confidential between me and my current employer".

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
I don't know if I agree with that. If they want to know your current compensation and you are in an area that has an inflated income/COL, and the place you're interviewing into doesn't have that inflation, that's one of those unique spots where you consider just telling them. You do it for the same reason you never say your salary when it's low compared to the range they're considering offering you, because in this case it works in your favor as leverage on the offer.

The equity part is tricky, you'll have to consider if you even want equity (for an established company you almost always do) or trade it in for an increase in salary. It will depend on the numbers and their actual size/situation but if it were me I'd probably stick with equity if the salary alone was sufficient.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 12, 2013

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
Ask about telecommuting prospects in the future. My best friend lives in VT and his office is in GA due to his wife's post-doctorate career taking her up north. He arranged with his company of 4 years to work from home up there (software engineer) and he flies down once a month-ish for big meetings and so on. If you don't think you'd be committed to the area but the job turns out to kick rear end it would suck to feel like you have to choose, and to boot if you wind up staying in that area it would suck to lose out on years of vesting that you otherwise would have taken.

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Bhaal posted:

Ask about telecommuting prospects in the future. My best friend lives in VT and his office is in GA due to his wife's post-doctorate career taking her up north. He arranged with his company of 4 years to work from home up there (software engineer) and he flies down once a month-ish for big meetings and so on. If you don't think you'd be committed to the area but the job turns out to kick rear end it would suck to feel like you have to choose, and to boot if you wind up staying in that area it would suck to lose out on years of vesting that you otherwise would have taken.

We're actually not too worried about this if only because my field is really hot in the Bay area and it doesn't look like it's going to die down any time soon. I don't think I need to say anything about developers in that area either, additionally he also has several in's at companies there. So if I go into industry, we're set.

It might be a good idea if I end up going into academia though. Relying on getting into Berkeley or Stanford might be a stretch, hah.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rurutia posted:

"As current compensation is confidential between my employer and I, I'm not comfortable with providing that information. However, I can say that for this move to make sense, I would be looking in the range of a total compensation of $.9 to $1.2."

I'm not sure why you would give a range, particularly if you're expect an offer lower than the bottom of that range.

scissorman
Feb 7, 2011
Ramrod XTreme
Not sure if this is the right thread for this but I'm looking for advice on how to improve my potential job prospects.
I'm currently in my last year of university doing a CS diploma, which is the local equivalent of a master's degree.
Due to health problems my studies have taken longer than expected; this has also caused my grade point average to suffer.
On the plus side, I have worked as a student researcher working on a variety of projects for pretty much the entire time.
As as result I'd say I'm pretty good with Java, Javascript and C, as well as having in-depth knowledge of the Eclipse IDE and a couple other topics.
I'm hoping to get a job at Google, Microsoft or another big tech company.

I'm thinking of polishing out my skills by putting some time into a personal project, maybe learning a new language to broaden my repertoire.
What is your opinion on this?
Is there anything I can/should be doing instead?

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I turned down the internship earlier this afternoon and felt pretty bad. As I was browsing LinkedIn later I saw the manager's profile and some more information on the projects they were working on, which seem really cool. This is the first big decision I've made regarding employment and I can't shake that "what if" feeling. :smith:

greatZebu
Aug 29, 2004

scissorman posted:

Not sure if this is the right thread for this but I'm looking for advice on how to improve my potential job prospects.
I'm currently in my last year of university doing a CS diploma, which is the local equivalent of a master's degree.
Due to health problems my studies have taken longer than expected; this has also caused my grade point average to suffer.
On the plus side, I have worked as a student researcher working on a variety of projects for pretty much the entire time.
As as result I'd say I'm pretty good with Java, Javascript and C, as well as having in-depth knowledge of the Eclipse IDE and a couple other topics.
I'm hoping to get a job at Google, Microsoft or another big tech company.

I'm thinking of polishing out my skills by putting some time into a personal project, maybe learning a new language to broaden my repertoire.
What is your opinion on this?
Is there anything I can/should be doing instead?

Improving your skills is always worthwhile, especially if it adds something impressive to your portfolio or results in some software that you really want for yourself.

After that, maybe somewhat depressingly, I think the best thing you can do for your employment prospects is to improve your interview skills. Interviewing is absolutely something you can practice and improve at, and I think it makes a big difference. I'd start with these:

https://sites.google.com/site/steveyegge2/five-essential-phone-screen-questions
http://steve-yegge.blogspot.com/2008/03/get-that-job-at-google.html
http://www.amazon.com/Cracking-Coding-Interview-Programming-Questions/dp/098478280X

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
Hey Goons,

I'm still working on getting the software job. I've updated my resume:

And added one of my bigger web development projects to Github:
https://github.com/Noppadet/MetaTF

Does anyone mind taking a look at what I've got here and let me know what my chances of getting a job are? Also if someone wouldn't mind looking at my GitHub project briefly, and letting me know how the documentation looks, and if the project as a whole is worthy to send to employers?

Thanks if anyone has the time!

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Knyteguy posted:

Hey Goons,

I'm still working on getting the software job. I've updated my resume:

And added one of my bigger web development projects to Github:
https://github.com/Noppadet/MetaTF

Does anyone mind taking a look at what I've got here and let me know what my chances of getting a job are? Also if someone wouldn't mind looking at my GitHub project briefly, and letting me know how the documentation looks, and if the project as a whole is worthy to send to employers?

Thanks if anyone has the time!

First I would say, move skill below experience. Rename Relevant Experience to "Experience." Rename "Samples of Expertise" to "Projects" or something like that.

Compact the "skillset" list more as it takes up way too much space. And why does C# get called C# coding while no other programming languages are labelled as such, e.g. "PHP coding?"

"In contract to.." means? You should write so that there is some clarity as to what you did. I guess this means you're working as a contractor with Lockhart Phillips?

Use bullet points with "action verbs" to describe the activities you did at each job. Right now you have everything mashed together into a paragraph and the first few sentences begins with the world "Created" It would also help if you could show numbers like, "Sped up site by X%" or something in some points.. but only if you can actually describe how you got to those numbers.

For example instead of "Created C# software..." as your first sentence. Convert everything to bullet points and your first item should be, "Migrated an entire 5000 page e-commerce website written in C# (or ASP.NET? I am not really familiar but I always though the web stuff was ASP.NET?) to a new reliable webhost without FTP information" (I'm not actually sure what you mean by "without FTP information so you should probably clarify that or remove it") Same for every other sentence in that block.

Think about it like this. Skillset is important, but your experience is way more important. You chose to give every skill its own line, but for your experience you just write out sentences that start off with the word, 'created'? Experience should take up the largest portion of your resume (because you're suppose to be experienced and all that).

Also why did you change your resume format from your resume you made a year ago?

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Strong Sauce posted:

First I would say, move skill below experience. Rename Relevant Experience to "Experience." Rename "Samples of Expertise" to "Projects" or something like that.

Compact the "skillset" list more as it takes up way too much space. And why does C# get called C# coding while no other programming languages are labelled as such, e.g. "PHP coding?"

"In contract to.." means? You should write so that there is some clarity as to what you did. I guess this means you're working as a contractor with Lockhart Phillips?

Use bullet points with "action verbs" to describe the activities you did at each job. Right now you have everything mashed together into a paragraph and the first few sentences begins with the world "Created" It would also help if you could show numbers like, "Sped up site by X%" or something in some points.. but only if you can actually describe how you got to those numbers.

For example instead of "Created C# software..." as your first sentence. Convert everything to bullet points and your first item should be, "Migrated an entire 5000 page e-commerce website written in C# (or ASP.NET? I am not really familiar but I always though the web stuff was ASP.NET?) to a new reliable webhost without FTP information" (I'm not actually sure what you mean by "without FTP information so you should probably clarify that or remove it") Same for every other sentence in that block.

Think about it like this. Skillset is important, but your experience is way more important. You chose to give every skill its own line, but for your experience you just write out sentences that start off with the word, 'created'? Experience should take up the largest portion of your resume (because you're suppose to be experienced and all that).

Also why did you change your resume format from your resume you made a year ago?

Hey Strong Sauce,

Thanks again for your help. I probably should just get a professional resume done from resume2interviews or whatever so I don't end up doing this every year.

I had to search the forums to find my old resume:

for reference

I was using that resume from a template I found online, and it was an exercise in patience to modify so I made this one a bit more plain text so I could hit enter without screwing up the margins. Do you think it would be worth it to try and reproduce this template again, or to try to find another template?

Regarding your feedback, do you think something like this is a little stronger?

Re: In contract to, I couldn't figure out how to correctly say I contracted for this company, so that's what a quick Google search told me to do. I am a contractor for them though, yes. Also the old web host was a really lovely individual who wouldn't give FTP access, or database access, while key online directories were write-protected. I came up with the solution to simply scrape every single page for the information we needed, and to download all of the product images. It was desktop software though.

I will work on the verbs. Unfortunately I don't have many hard statistics to post; the industry can be really erratic so metrics can't really be trusted. I didn't really do any code optimizations before the move because we didn't have access, so the only real speed improvement was via switching to my server which runs an NGINX front-end server.

Resumes are really drat tough.

I might have missed some stuff because it's getting late, but I'll go over everything again tomorrow. Thanks for the :krad: help.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?
I wonder if anyone has ever A/B tested resumes. Set up a couple fake names/email addresses. Send out several versions to a couple hundred job listings, and see what sort of response rates you get.

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
Are there any good links for how to properly gauge how much a project would cost to develop for someone? Not sure if this is a situation where I'd take the "they should make the first offer", or if I want to be like "here's how much my services would be on the project".

unixbeard
Dec 29, 2004

Gounads posted:

I wonder if anyone has ever A/B tested resumes. Set up a couple fake names/email addresses. Send out several versions to a couple hundred job listings, and see what sort of response rates you get.

Probably not quite what you meant

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Master_Odin posted:

Are there any good links for how to properly gauge how much a project would cost to develop for someone? Not sure if this is a situation where I'd take the "they should make the first offer", or if I want to be like "here's how much my services would be on the project".

Sit down with them, create a backlog of tasks with accompanying acceptance criteria, estimate those tasks using standard planning poker techniques, and then give them a total number. Make sure your backlog takes into account any testing or documentation that will have to take place. This will give you a number that you feel comfortable with, and it help your client understand exactly what you'll be delivering them.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

Knyteguy posted:

Hey Strong Sauce,

Thanks again for your help. I probably should just get a professional resume done from resume2interviews or whatever so I don't end up doing this every year.

I had to search the forums to find my old resume:

for reference

I was using that resume from a template I found online, and it was an exercise in patience to modify so I made this one a bit more plain text so I could hit enter without screwing up the margins. Do you think it would be worth it to try and reproduce this template again, or to try to find another template?

Regarding your feedback, do you think something like this is a little stronger?

Re: In contract to, I couldn't figure out how to correctly say I contracted for this company, so that's what a quick Google search told me to do. I am a contractor for them though, yes. Also the old web host was a really lovely individual who wouldn't give FTP access, or database access, while key online directories were write-protected. I came up with the solution to simply scrape every single page for the information we needed, and to download all of the product images. It was desktop software though.

I will work on the verbs. Unfortunately I don't have many hard statistics to post; the industry can be really erratic so metrics can't really be trusted. I didn't really do any code optimizations before the move because we didn't have access, so the only real speed improvement was via switching to my server which runs an NGINX front-end server.

Resumes are really drat tough.

I might have missed some stuff because it's getting late, but I'll go over everything again tomorrow. Thanks for the :krad: help.

You should have your resume saved in Dropbox (or equivalent). Especially if you're still just contracting and looking for a non contract job.

Your updated resume is a bit better but a few other things.
* You may as well put your job title next to the company since you've essentially done that for the 2nd job posting. Just put "Contract Developer" on the same line you put "Contractor" And remove the 2nd instance of "Owner" from the 2nd listing.

* "Performed SEO as necessary" isn't a complete bulletpoint. Every point should be describing something you did to help the company. Getting "hard statistics" is easy for web stuff, just use ab or look at the dev inspector and time how quickly the page loads everything from before vs now with your new improvements. I'm not looking at just this bulletpoint, you should go through each one and decide if it needs to be there and if yes, does that bulletpoint show the person reading your resume that you did something?

* Remove "Hobby" from Hobby Projects. Was it a company or not? Consulting and Hobby Projects should be separate things. One is things you did working with clients to successfully earn money, the other one is projects you did for fun because no one would pay you but at least you'd learn something.

* The skillset could be organized more succinctly. Why is node.js separate from Javascript even though jQuery is next to Javascript? Your ordering seems to be in no particular order.

I would write it closer to this:
Skillset
Languages: Java, C#, Javascript (Node.js), PHP, Bash scripting (this generally should be the order you are most familiar with, reorder depending on which job you are applying for. E.g if you are competent in both C# and PHP, C# should be first when applying to C# jobs, PHP first when applying to PHP jobs. I'd also describe my familiarity with each language: Advanced, Intermediate, Basic, etc.)
IDEs/Tools: Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 & <whatever you use to edit PHP/Javascript, unless it's MVS2010>
Databases: List of databases you know: MySQL, MSSQL, etc.
Version Control: git
Frameworks/Libraries: .NET, jQuery
Concepts: Object Oriented Programming, MVC Architecture. (I'm indifferent about writing these down but if you want to they probably should go down, but if you list these expect to be quizzed about them)

* What were you doing for the six years between 2004 and 2009? You don't have to tell me but be prepared to have to answer this.

Since I'm now more on the reviewing side of resumes rather than the applying side, there are a few things I'm looking when I look at resumes. This is just general advice and not specifically directed at you.

1. Does he/she know how to format a basic resume? This tells me whether I'm going to have problems discussing things with the person. I looked at a resume that was incredibly dense and just terrible. But he went to my Almamater so I asked my friend to ask around about this guy and they said he was "OK" so I setup a phone screen. Basically his resume matched the way he talked to me. Not much insight at all and nothing impressive about him stood out. This is obviously anecdotal but the more presentable the resume, generally the smarter and/or better communicative they were over the phone (obviously if you don't know your poo poo, a resume isn't going to get you far past the phone screen)

2. Is this person wasting my time? Companies (and the people who determine who gets interviews) do not like talking to someone unless you can help them. You don't help them if they feel like it's a chore to go through your resume to find out what you can do. That is why wall of text paragraphs are annoying, because no one can extract out what they need to find unless they read the entire thing. I don't want to trudge through your points about HTML/CSS just to find out you haven't done anything with PHP and now I'm already pissed at you for wasting my time.

3. Does this person know his poo poo?

Resumes are tough indeed but if you put in some effort it is worth it. I'm not claiming to be an expert resume writer or evaluator but I know how it feels from both sides and if you have a bad resume, no one but the desperate or indifferent will look at it.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 15, 2013

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

drat man thanks for the comprehensive response. Hopefully a few others will be able to get something from this too. I went over your posts a couple times, and this is what I ended up coming up with:

I believe that it might need some more work, but hopefully I can convince a couple of employers to set me up an interview, or at least nab an internship (going to apply for one now actually).

Thank you very much for your perspective, it's been extremely helpful. If you're ever in the Reno/Tahoe area let me know, and I'll buy you beer. :respek:

E: Well two responses already, cool. I have an a phone interview tomorrow night, and a phone interview Wednesday afternoon.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Apr 15, 2013

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
After declining the internship and verbally committing to Job A, Job C (my first choice for many reasons) contacted me with a "We're still in the decision process and can't provide you with an update at this time" even though I told them I needed to make a decision by today. If they really wanted me they wouldn't be doing this right? I should forget about them at this point, correct?

New Yorp New Yorp
Jul 18, 2003

Only in Kenya.
Pillbug

Good Will Hrunting posted:

After declining the internship and verbally committing to Job A, Job C (my first choice for many reasons) contacted me with a "We're still in the decision process and can't provide you with an update at this time" even though I told them I needed to make a decision by today. If they really wanted me they wouldn't be doing this right? I should forget about them at this point, correct?

You're probably their N-choice candidate, where N >= 2nd. They're going down the list and seeing who accepts.

For the record, you can always back out after you accept an offer.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.

Ithaqua posted:

You're probably their N-choice candidate, where N >= 2nd. They're going down the list and seeing who accepts.

For the record, you can always back out after you accept an offer.

Yeah I know, they want me to start in two weeks though. :ohdear: I'm not sure how much I can really stall.

Gounads
Mar 13, 2013

Where am I?
How did I get here?

unixbeard posted:

Probably not quite what you meant

Yeah, I was thinking of testing the reverse... testing different content in the body of the resume. But this is somewhat fascinating. I'm surprised that females have a better callback rate than males.

Just some more random thinking, maybe setting up profiles on a job site like Dice or Monster would be a better way to test variations.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
Be careful about keeping A at arm's length. Like Ithaqua said, you are probably in one of two spots with company C right now: 1) they are putting an offer together for someone else (or have already extended it and are negotiating/waiting for a response) and if it falls through then you might have your shot. Or 2) they genuinely have a close call between you and another candidate and it has to make the rounds for all parties to give their input and decide. In either case you are definitely a valid candidate for them or else they'd have cut you loose by now, so a hire is definitely on the table. However, it is far from guaranteed and at most if you press for it you can usually get them to give you a day that they'll have a decision by--not always, and they'll not always adhere to it. If you've given a verbal commitment to A (and presumably will sign something in the near future) the clock is running and if you are going to bail on them the sooner the better. Accepting an offer and saying nevermind a day or two before your start date is more or less on the list of ways to shut the door on ever getting hired to that place in the future. This is back to networking. The person you're dealing with might move on somewhere else and 4 years from now you interview there and he comes across your name. If you do that and don't have a good reason like a life emergency or some such then people will not forget. If your reason is "I was holding out on a pending offer and took it" don't expect that to be doing any favors for your reputation.

This happened about a year or two ago: My wife's company had a guy quit 15 minutes before a meeting with a client that he was supposed to be presenting at. He emailed a bunch of details about what he was presenting to his supervisor who was attending the meeting, along with a resignation letter that basically said "I never liked this place and just got a better offer so bye" and effectively walked out on that friday to start his new job monday (he had been there about 4-5 months). Not that you'd be doing something as disruptive as this, but just to illustrate how word gets around: about 9 months after all this another co-worker at her company--let's call him Bob--got a call from an old friend/ex-coworker from years past--let's call him Ed. Turns out that guy who quit was interviewing with Ed at the company that he was working at these days. Ed was considering to select him to hire, saw his resume listed the company that Bob works at so he gave Bob a call to see if he could give an informal reference. Ed got the scoop of how he left and that was that for Ed's decision to hire him.

That being said it's a world of difference to back out before your start date, but nonetheless once you tell them yes they're going to take that as a commitment and will be working on their end to get you started well before your first day, so the closer you get to that date the more of their time you're wasting and the longer they're gonna have to wait to finally fill that spot. If it were me I would put a hard date to company C and say "I'm sorry, I need to know by X or I'll be committing to another offer", and retroactively I wouldn't have committed to A just yet but instead try to work out with them a date Y (optimally the day after X) for me to give them my decision.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 15, 2013

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
Company A just sent me an email with some follow-up information and a link to paperwork that needs to be completed within 24 hours.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Hey Strong Sauce,

Just thought I'd let you know that I've received offers for five interviews around the country with my resume you helped me create. One thought I was local and didn't want to pay for relocation, but four phone interviews with the first one this evening. Not bad for two days!

HipsLikeCinderella
Nov 8, 2006

I applied for a software engineering position and after 3 off-site and 1 on-site interviews the company tells me they think I would be a better fit as a systems test engineer. Honestly, I have no idea why they think that. I did screw up some linked list questions after 12+ hours of travel and no sleep, so maybe they think I'm a poor coder but still want me as an employee? Regardless, they set up another technical interview tomorrow for the systems test role. Can anyone tell me what I should be brushing up on other than white/black-box testing and software development life cycle? The only real experience I have with real testing is JUnit coverage tests.

Good Will Hrunting
Oct 8, 2012

I changed my mind.
I'm not sorry.
I start in 3 weeks. Part of me is excited, part of me is terrified that the person (people?) ahead of me for Job C will decline and I'll get an offer too late.

I'm employed and going to be making good money, gently caress me right?

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009

Safe and Secure!
Jun 14, 2008

OFFICIAL SA THREAD RUINER
SPRING 2013

HipsLikeCinderella posted:

I applied for a software engineering position and after 3 off-site and 1 on-site interviews the company tells me they think I would be a better fit as a systems test engineer. Honestly, I have no idea why they think that. I did screw up some linked list questions after 12+ hours of travel and no sleep, so maybe they think I'm a poor coder but still want me as an employee? Regardless, they set up another technical interview tomorrow for the systems test role. Can anyone tell me what I should be brushing up on other than white/black-box testing and software development life cycle? The only real experience I have with real testing is JUnit coverage tests.

It sounds like, yes, they think you suck at programming.

E: I base this on someone at some point in this thread saying that those who can't cut it as developers at his company being directed to testing, and on one of my professors telling me that standards are usually lower for testers than developers, so that if I want to get a job at a big company like Google but feel like I might not make it through the interviews for a developer position, I could probably improve my chances by applying for a tester position.

Safe and Secure! fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Apr 17, 2013

Wasse
Jan 16, 2010

Rurutia posted:

Is it standard practice for a company to only 'negotiate' via a phone call with nothing written down about what the numbers might be? We asked for a rough overview and was turned down and told they only sent out official offers and only after the numbers were settled on.

Depending on the situation, I think so. Where I work, negotiation is only after a job offer has been made. That said, a couple times I have talked with someone (we were hiring) face to face to finish negotiations. (over lunch or something).

If we think there is going be a total mix (some guy coming in expects 100+, and we are looking to pay 50), ask about expectations. If they have much higher expectations, we say - that's not the range we were looking at. Do you still want to continue?

This is a small-mid size company though. Larger companies, where pay is much more dictated by HR policies, likely different.

Wasse
Jan 16, 2010

HipsLikeCinderella posted:

It may not just have been the test, but the actual interview.

In our office where we have both QA/programming - if we find someone to be a good fit culturally, but not necessarily "up to par" to be a programmer, we will ask them if they want to interview for QA.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Good Will Hrunting posted:

I start in 3 weeks. Part of me is excited, part of me is terrified that the person (people?) ahead of me for Job C will decline and I'll get an offer too late.

I'm employed and going to be making good money, gently caress me right?

It won't be the last time a job comes up at company c either so if it comes down to it [which it looks like it will] just enjoy yourself at company a for a year or two and apply at company c if you still want to then.

HipsLikeCinderella
Nov 8, 2006

Wasse posted:

It may not just have been the test, but the actual interview.

In our office where we have both QA/programming - if we find someone to be a good fit culturally, but not necessarily "up to par" to be a programmer, we will ask them if they want to interview for QA.

So I guess it depends on the company whether it's easy to move to developer from a tester position. How easy is it in general? I would really like to work for this company but I had a really terrible day at the interview and know I have the skill set to be a developer there. Being a tester would bring me new perspective but I'm not interested in doing it for more than a year and I don't want my career path to narrow if I take this job.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
It's going to depend a lot on the company, and your supervisor and so on. Do well and make sure the people who could work out your promotion know who you are and know you are interested in moving up (just don't go knocking on their door every morning, be social about it). This happens a lot so it's definitely one way in. But sometimes, in some spots, it just won't happen because of a million reasons like the last couple people they tried that with ended badly, or maybe they just got a round of funding and would rather hire straight in, or maybe they're going to be adding a lot of testers and while they recognize you're a kickass tester whose become overqualified for your job they'd prefer to value you as a senior tester to help train & mentor the new hires (so you get a promotion of sorts but not what you were looking for).

At the end of the day if it doesn't work out there you will find it much easier to parlay that experience in testing to a development position with someone else. EDIT: I'd even go so far as to say doing a stint in testing before getting into development is usually going to be a net gain in anyone's ability. Even the rare comp sci prodigy people could benefit from seeing what it's like in the trenches of testing. It can be a huge blind spot for otherwise genius developers to not really contemplate and observe the tricky artifacts they're producing.

Bhaal fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Apr 18, 2013

HipsLikeCinderella
Nov 8, 2006

Bhaal posted:

It's going to depend a lot on the company, and your supervisor and so on. Do well and make sure the people who could work out your promotion know who you are and know you are interested in moving up (just don't go knocking on their door every morning, be social about it). This happens a lot so it's definitely one way in. But sometimes, in some spots, it just won't happen because of a million reasons like the last couple people they tried that with ended badly, or maybe they just got a round of funding and would rather hire straight in, or maybe they're going to be adding a lot of testers and while they recognize you're a kickass tester whose become overqualified for your job they'd prefer to value you as a senior tester to help train & mentor the new hires (so you get a promotion of sorts but not what you were looking for).

At the end of the day if it doesn't work out there you will find it much easier to parlay that experience in testing to a development position with someone else. EDIT: I'd even go so far as to say doing a stint in testing before getting into development is usually going to be a net gain in anyone's ability. Even the rare comp sci prodigy people could benefit from seeing what it's like in the trenches of testing. It can be a huge blind spot for otherwise genius developers to not really contemplate and observe the tricky artifacts they're producing.

Thanks, this seems like great advice. The guy interviewing me said that he started as a tester within the company and moved to his current position of developer after about a year, which sounds like exactly what I want to do.

I suppose I should start brushing up on my scripting languages. If anyone has recommendations for other relevant testing skills to feel free to throw them out.

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal
So I have an interview with HP tomorrow, apparently! It will include a live coding session. I also have two more phone interviews tomorrow, and one in person second interview in 2 weeks with a local company. :asoiaf:

I can fizzbuzz the hell out of any language on my resume, but I don't really know anything about algorithms/data structures. I didn't list it on my resume, so hopefully it won't come up.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Knyteguy posted:

So I have an interview with HP tomorrow, apparently! It will include a live coding session. I also have two more phone interviews tomorrow, and one in person second interview in 2 weeks with a local company. :asoiaf:

I can fizzbuzz the hell out of any language on my resume, but I don't really know anything about algorithms/data structures. I didn't list it on my resume, so hopefully it won't come up.
You've been majoring in Computer Science and Engineering since 2009 and don't know anything about algorithms or data structures? Really?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Cicero posted:

You've been majoring in Computer Science and Engineering since 2009 and don't know anything about algorithms or data structures? Really?

I was a computer science major, then business major, and then a pre-med/biology major just in my first two years, and then I took a year off. I couldn't figure out what the hell I wanted to do, so I had to figure that out in my year off. I've only recently (past 1.5 years) started getting serious about programming, and even more recently about computer science. I'm just now finishing my first semester back to college, running with a 4.0 GPA this time too (as opposed to a 2.5 or so I had my first two years). I haven't even taken a real computer science course yet, only programming language classes. I was working with PHP on and off for roughly 7 years (most of my stuff was coding horrors of course) before any of this, but I wasn't sure if it's what I wanted to do in life. In fact one of the main reasons I'm going back to college at all is so I can learn the computer science stuff that I don't know.

I'm pretty non-traditional because I pretty much worked blue collar labor jobs since I graduated high school 9 years ago. I was actually enrolled for a comp-sci degree but decided I liked money now (then) better. I truly wish I had just gone through with it then. I think the main reason I backed off was because I was going to join the Navy as a nuclear tech, but backed out of that because I decided that the career path that would lead me to would be boring as gently caress.

Anyway I did forward my Github to all of the potential employers, so at least they pretty much know what I can do. I'm completely prepared if I don't land a position with any of these companies; my end goal is really my degree right now. Not just because I want the piece of paper, but because I know there's so much more about this craft and the world in general I would like to learn about. Plus I've got some personal projects I really want to finish :getin:.

Long tangent sorry.

Knyteguy fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Apr 19, 2013