Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Hair
Dec 31, 2007

Of course, that can backfire... some men like their bitches crazy.
Man I'm pretty stoked for the new Yoshi! I think I'm among the few who loved Yoshis Story. I will say though, I kinda wish they would pick an art style rather than mixing the two. But I'm sure they're have it looking alot better in the coming months, I think part of it is that you don't get the "natural 3d antialiasing" or whatever. Perhaps they'll pull a Zelda and throw on regular AA in 2d mode?

Who knows, either way, the stuff they announced is really great. Of course, now I want a Wii U just for Yoshi Yarn. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
I want them to call the Wii U Yoshi game Yoshi's Amazing Yarn. So the initialism will be YAY.

Also, surprised there's not more talk about the Link to the Past sequel. I was beginning to think they'd never do a traditional top-down Zelda again. Also here's hoping the game has a Four Swords mode!

theonlypie314SA
Mar 19, 2013

My Nintendo News rounds up the Nintendo Direct for NA pretty nicely and also has some release dates (some being the vague "this summer" description). I'm sure we'll hear more about some of these games at E3 coming up.

http://mynintendonews.com/2013/04/17/heres-the-nintendo-direct-us-roundup/

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Chaltab posted:

I want them to call the Wii U Yoshi game Yoshi's Amazing Yarn. So the initialism will be YAY.

Also, surprised there's not more talk about the Link to the Past sequel. I was beginning to think they'd never do a traditional top-down Zelda again. Also here's hoping the game has a Four Swords mode!

I love the look they're going for with the new LTTP, it's basically the oldschool Zelda 1/2/3 concept art mixed with the Zelda 3 environmental style, except 3D. But then, Link can go back to being 2D. Hopefully that last bit isn't too gimmicky.

Somehow this also makes me more hopeful for a new 2D Metroid title.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Chronojam posted:

I love the look they're going for with the new LTTP, it's basically the oldschool Zelda 1/2/3 concept art mixed with the Zelda 3 environmental style, except 3D. But then, Link can go back to being 2D. Hopefully that last bit isn't too gimmicky.

Somehow this also makes me more hopeful for a new 2D Metroid title.

They killed Metroid with Other M and we all know it.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

AlmightyBob posted:

They killed Metroid with Other M and we all know it.

You mean that funny fan video where Ridley, voiced by Gilbert Gottfried, trolls Samus while she dorkily talks to the human-version of her ship's computer? The part with the human/AI mixup was a little contrived but I still laughed the whole way through.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Is Castlevania: Mirror of Fate a decent game overall? I'm not particularly attached to the franchise, so I don't care if it's not enough like what Castlevania "ought to be" or whatever.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

Is Castlevania: Mirror of Fate a decent game overall? I'm not particularly attached to the franchise, so I don't care if it's not enough like what Castlevania "ought to be" or whatever.

It really isn't. It's attempting to convert 3D God of War style gameplay to 2D gameplay, but it doesn't do a very good job with it. It runs pretty poorly, the design isn't very good, and it generally just has a lot of problems. It's not a case of it being a bad Castlevania game, it's just not a good game.

CrushedB
Jun 2, 2008

AA5, July 25th in Japan. The website has a bunch of artwork and screenshots.

You play as Apollo during the second case. Sadly, he is not Revengeance Apollo. :(

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
So is Yugami's dialogue randomly switching between using katakana and hiragana suppose to imply an accent or something?

Shoopuf
Oct 18, 2010

Don't touch shoopuf. Tailss will be shlapping!

CrushedB posted:

You play as Apollo during the second case. Sadly, he is not Revengeance Apollo. :(

gently caress yes. While I'm happy or whatever that Phoenix can be an attorney again, I'm even happier that it looks like Apollo won't be dropped as a player character entirely.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If I've never played a Professor Layton game before, should I start from the very beginning or would picking up the most recent and working my way back if I like it enough be acceptable?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

It's definitely worth playing through all of them if you love any of the titles, their stories do have an order but it's not really necessary to play them in any order because they don't reference each other in any major way. I'd definitely start from the beginning though, it's one of my favorite stories.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

CrushedB posted:

Where is Maya? Why did they forget about Maya.
I'm still buying this if it hits the EU on day one of course, even if there's no Maya or Shu Takumi.

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?
Is there a translation for the AA5 screenshots yet?

Anyway, my best guess is that this game is set after AA4. I know Phoenix lost his license and all, but Apollo, Phoenix' new duds, lack of Maya and the new assistant suggest this won't be after AA3, with some flash forwards to Apollo inbetween.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

We've had it confirmed for a while that it's a year after Apollo Justice.
Phoenix gets his license back and that's why he looks older too.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
From neogaf: http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/2090695

quote:

Nintendo of America president Reggie Fils-Aime says sales of the company's 3DS
handheld in the U.S. has been "very strong" despite a rise in the use of smartphones
and tablets for mobile gaming.
In an interview, Fils-Aime says Nintendo has sold 8 million 3DS devices in the U.S. since
launching in 2011, ahead of the original DS' pace of 7 million during the same period of
time.

Not bad for a mobile platform in a dying market dominated by phone gaming.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Phone gaming isn't a competing market for the 3DS. Dunno about Vita though, it's taken the PSP route only without Monster Hunter this time.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
That has a bit more to do with the DS' pathetic start than real strengths of the 3DS, though.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I wonder how much more work it would take to use that engine for LTTP 2 and using it for LTTP 1. God, what an amazing game that was.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Pureauthor posted:

That has a bit more to do with the DS' pathetic start than real strengths of the 3DS, though.

The 3DS obviously had a pathetic start and there wasn't a billion different smartphones/tablets being released every other day during the start of the DS lifetime. So yeah I think it does show the strengths of the 3DS.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Pureauthor posted:

The 3DS didn't exactly set the world on fire at the start either. They had to cut the price, there was nothing to play, Iwata personally apologized for the thing etc. That's how it goes. Nintendo releases New Thing, everyone is confused about New Thing until they start pumping out great games, then New Thing sells like hotcakes.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde
e: ^^^: but for the press it was even worse than that.

Healbot posted:

Phone gaming isn't a competing market for the 3DS.

Of course I know it, of course we gamers know it, however what the cellphone blogs and the general press during the last two years have been saying it's the contrary.

http://venturebeat.com/2011/04/15/apple-and-google-steal-market-share-from-video-game-systems/
http://www.slashgear.com/iphone-5-will-officially-kill-off-the-nintendo-3ds-17180647/
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/australian-it/nintendo-battered-by-3ds-failure-records-591-million-loss/story-e6frgakx-1226254897074
http://allthingsd.com/20120712/not-so-super-mario-nintendo-3ds-demand-fades-as-sales-cross-five-million/?refcat=commerce

(Yes, I'm keeping a list :v:)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yeah the common narrative is that cell phones will kill handheld consoles any day now. Of course the common narrative since ~1995 has also been that PC gaming is dying and it's probably the healthiest market today and definitely the one best suited for the future, so v:v:v

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Saying dedicated gaming handhelds no longer have a market is like saying the same thing about toys. Toys don't go away.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

YOURFRIEND posted:

Hello, so I have a job now where I kind of get to play video games all day? The caveat is that I only get to play them in 1-5 minute intervals before there's a slight interruption and it's the most boring job in the world. Can anyone think of any 3DS/DS games that fit this bill well? I just played Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story and that worked out pretty well even if the interruptions got me killed a couple of times to give you an example. Advance Wars has also been working out ok. Pretty much I just need to be able to briefly pause the action whenever I want.

ALSO

I just got a 3DS a bit ago and I still haven't used that code or whatever that came with it? If someone PMs me and tells me where to find it on the packaging you can have it. I'm not really interesting in doing all the things.

Hopefully not too late but Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is great for this, it's a roguelike and if you don't move nothing happens. You can take your attention away at any time with no negative consequences.

There's a demo if you want to try it, but it doesn't have some of the coolest parts of the game at all, like that you build a town by using materials you get from dungeon runs which is my favorite thing about it.

Boten Anna fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Apr 18, 2013

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The claim of handhelds dying is mostly made by non-gamers who aren't fully aware of the distinction between a $1 iPhone game and a $40 AAA title, aside from the price. "A game is a game is a game" is an understandable assumption, but not really accurate.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

When I do play phone games that aren't dumb virtual pet bullshit that works well as something I pull out to mindlessly kill a few minutes here and there they're either stuff like Final Fantasy Dimensions that are oh-so-exorbitantly priced at $20 and I'd rather play on 3DS/Vita or Super Hexagon, that I'd rather play on 3DS/Vita :v:

The Machine
Dec 15, 2004
Rage Against / Welcome to
Oddly enough, I wish I could get Final Fantasy Dimensions and Super Hexagon for my 3DS. That said, I don't want to play Mario Land 3D or OOT 3D on my phone.

Funny how often the idea about mobile games killing handhelds comes up - it always comes from the oddest sources and I get the impression that the person writing the article doesn't know gently caress all what they're talking about.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

The Machine posted:

Oddly enough, I wish I could get Final Fantasy Dimensions and Super Hexagon for my 3DS. That said, I don't want to play Mario Land 3D or OOT 3D on my phone.

Funny how often the idea about mobile games killing handhelds comes up - it always comes from the oddest sources and I get the impression that the person writing the article doesn't know gently caress all what they're talking about.

Even worse is that I also have it on Steam and set it up to play with a PS2 controller; I have a taste of what could be.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

It's Yoshi's Universal Gravitation all over again. It isn't even Yoshi's Island 2 this time.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I watched the Nintendo Direct last night before I went to bed (it's really cool that they stick the whole thing up on the eShop), and honestly, I'm actually really psyched about a lot of the stuff coming out this year. I've had my 3DS since launch, but kinda went a long time without playing it very much. I have a couple of games to catch-up on, I really want Luigi's Mansion 2, and I'm about 3 Layton games behind, but a lot of the upcoming stuff shown yesterday has me really excited too, particularly the Zelda games.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Supercar Gautier posted:

The claim of handhelds dying is mostly made by non-gamers who aren't fully aware of the distinction between a $1 iPhone game and a $40 AAA title, aside from the price. "A game is a game is a game" is an understandable assumption, but not really accurate.

That sort of thinking has definitely been detrimental to certain types of games, like licensed games and non-traditional software like Brain Age.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

irlZaphod posted:

I watched the Nintendo Direct last night before I went to bed (it's really cool that they stick the whole thing up on the eShop), and honestly, I'm actually really psyched about a lot of the stuff coming out this year. I've had my 3DS since launch, but kinda went a long time without playing it very much. I have a couple of games to catch-up on, I really want Luigi's Mansion 2, and I'm about 3 Layton games behind, but a lot of the upcoming stuff shown yesterday has me really excited too, particularly the Zelda games.

I'm going to use your mentioning of Luigi's Mansion 2 as a reason to post my thoughts on it. I finally wrapped the game up last night and while it started fun by the end I just wanted to get it over with. The game never really gets harder (outside of that goddamn ice boss) and the basic gameplay of walk into room, capture ghosts, look for money, repeat got tiring real quick. Someday I'll go back and get the boos and gems I missed but I'm in no hurry to.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
So based on the latest Nintendo Direct I ended up ordering a 3DS XL. When I set it up I should use the same Nintendo Network ID I have on my WiiU, right?

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

axeil posted:

So based on the latest Nintendo Direct I ended up ordering a 3DS XL. When I set it up I should use the same Nintendo Network ID I have on my WiiU, right?

I don't recall the 3DS being that fancy, but since the Miiverse for the 3DS update is due this year, maybe then.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

axeil posted:

Nope, they're still separate networks because Nintendo is bad at the Internet.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

axeil posted:

Just link it to your Club Nintendo account in the eShop settings before you buy anything from there, so you can get rewards.

Arthe Xavier
Apr 22, 2007

Artificial Stupidity

Supercar Gautier posted:

Exactly. I don't really enjoy phone-gaming due to touch-screen only controls ( which are finicky at best on, say, 3D action games ). They're two different beasts, and the 3DS is unique in the sense that it is the only system that has glasses-free 3D anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Arthe Xavier posted:

Exactly. I don't really enjoy phone-gaming due to touch-screen only controls ( which are finicky at best on, say, 3D action games ). They're two different beasts, and the 3DS is unique in the sense that it is the only system that has glasses-free 3D anyway.

Technically things like the EVO 3D do. Here it is reviewed by Adam West.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1IhrSjMy0Q

• Locked thread