Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

Tha is qpzil and the photo he is editing is one of mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Spedman posted:

Try this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_qeZOWqchM, I think its XKCD Larper.

I made a rough looking focusing screen out of some cheap picture frame glass and some sand paper and go my 8x10 camera working. This is shot with the lens wide open on some Ilford Multigrade paper developed in some Rodinal (I couldn't be bothered getting any proper paper dev):

First thing, the lens doesn't cover 8x10 wide open, however, it does if the object being focused on is close enough (I'm honestly not sure if this how all large format lenses work), but I'm guessing it's because the lens is a 1:1 copying lens for A4 documents, so the lens is to be not designed to be so close to the focal plane.

Tomorrow I might try some RA-4 paper with it, see if I can get some cheap 8x10 colour happening.

That is, indeed, how large format lenses work. Think of the image circle as the intersection between the cone of light projected by the lens and the film plane. Focused at 1:1, the image circle is twice as wide as it is when focused at infinity; bellows extension focused at 1:1 is twice what it is focused at infinity.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I'm not entirely sure how to make the contrast and color on 'Conestoga' work for me.

Jo's Country Market by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Conestoga by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Santa is strapped posted:

Tha is qpzil and the photo he is editing is one of mine.

Huh what that ain't me.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads

MrBlandAverage posted:

That is, indeed, how large format lenses work. Think of the image circle as the intersection between the cone of light projected by the lens and the film plane. Focused at 1:1, the image circle is twice as wide as it is when focused at infinity; bellows extension focused at 1:1 is twice what it is focused at infinity.

Cool, that's the idea I had in my head of cutting the image cone with the focal plane.

I'll do some tests to see what are the lens's limitations. I was happy with how sharp the images are I get from it, and there wasn't any weird hazing, so I think it'll still work well for 8x10 tintype portraits.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Any interested parties in joining a New York Camera club? I made a post about it here.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Silat Primary School, Bukit Merah, 2013 by alkanphel, on Flickr

Fortune God by alkanphel, on Flickr

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

I just tried what the man says in this video and it works way better than what I was doing, which was using curves only.

2013-629 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

TomR posted:

I just tried what the man says in this video and it works way better than what I was doing, which was using curves only.

2013-629 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

The background is a lot brighter than them; if you clamp off everything above 225 on your curve you might be able to get more contrast on their skin without the background clipping. You can do it by putting a point at 225,225 and another at 230,230.

I dont have PS on this computer so I can test if I'm right or not but it's probably close to that.

Edit Sorry my laptop screen is terrible and I Was Wrong, and it looks pretty good on my Color Calibrated NEC MultiSync LCD2090UXi.

The XKCD Larper fucked around with this message at 16:07 on Apr 14, 2013

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
I don't know how to make the first one not look like an explosion of orange and red but the original file did not render the street lights well and the picture did not come out very good color-wise. It's just because I was shooting with the wrong film for that particular look. But I tweaked it to be closer to how it was that night but it still looks like overkill I think, especially compared to the last one, but that was shot with tungsten balanced film.

coronalight
Oct 12, 2006

asdfghjkl;

Mannequin posted:

I don't know how to make the first one not look like an explosion of orange and red but the original file did not render the street lights well and the picture did not come out very good color-wise. It's just because I was shooting with the wrong film for that particular look. But I tweaked it to be closer to how it was that night but it still looks like overkill I think, especially compared to the last one, but that was shot with tungsten balanced film.

I really like what you're going for here, but I've always hated when little details like a car being in the background of a shot ruin them for me. If not for those cars these would be timeless. I also wish that coke bottle was pin straight. But, as usual, I love your shots regardless.

Now here's some lovely photos of my friend being a model for me:

Impromptu. by Scott LaChapelle, on Flickr

Fixer Upper. by Scott LaChapelle, on Flickr

Sun Fringe. by Scott LaChapelle, on Flickr

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Oh no Mannequin your Coke bottle is about to fall over :ohdear:

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Mannequin posted:

I don't know how to make the first one not look like an explosion of orange and red but the original file did not render the street lights well and the picture did not come out very good color-wise.

You could convert it to B+W but frankly I don't think the composition is interesting enough to stand on its own. It's just an infinity wall shot, here's the same thing in my town:

The only thing that makes my image interesting to me is the rotation.

There's nothing wrong with embracing the monochromatic thing though! It's a nice scene and I actually like the color, it just needs a subject that would be highlighted by that orange and red glow. I may be biased because I just got an 11x14 metallic print of this

and it came out great. :3: I've printed the B+W neg before but never the slide.

scotty posted:

I really like what you're going for here, but I've always hated when little details like a car being in the background of a shot ruin them for me. If not for those cars these would be timeless.

This is one reason I'm preparing to give large format a serious try. Theoretically the Scheimpflug principle is the solution to this - tilt your plane of focus away from things you want out of focus (and conversely, shift it towards things you want in focus to increase apparent depth-of-field without stopping way down).

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Apr 16, 2013

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Paul MaudDib posted:

This is one reason I'm preparing to give large format a serious try. Theoretically the Scheimpflug principle is the solution to this - tilt your plane of focus away from things you want out of focus (and conversely, shift it towards things you want in focus to increase apparent depth-of-field without stopping way down).

do it

pull the trigger

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

You could convert it to B+W but frankly I don't think the composition is interesting enough to stand on its own. It's just an infinity wall shot, here's the same thing in my town:

What was interesting was the light, not the wall so much, and the color just was not captured well and I had to do a little bit of improv in Photoshop which I don't like to do. Night shots are tricky though, not so much for the exposure, but for knowing which films will work best in the conditions.

QPZIL posted:

Oh no Mannequin your Coke bottle is about to fall over :ohdear:

Don't see it. Should it be tilting left?

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.
Crosspost from the portrait thread. These are printed on 12x16 Ilford fine art paper. The tooth of the paper is really pronounced and it has a slight gloss to it. So the scan looks a bit rough, but the quality in person is just amazing. I'm hurting bad, though, because it's 3BPS a sheet. :(

The Cadet by McMadCow, on Flickr

The Cadet by McMadCow, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

He is one striking looking dude, are you getting those deep blacks with lots of burning?

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

Paul MaudDib posted:

You are a giant goon

If I ever heard someone say the word Scheimpflug to me when I was trying to work I'd knee them in the balls

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
I used the Scheimpflug principle to increase the apparent depth of field in these photographs.

Three Months After Christmas by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

Spedman posted:

He is one striking looking dude, are you getting those deep blacks with lots of burning?

It's the way I print. Yes I burn the borders to vignette the scene, but the blacks in my printing come from using split filters, which means I can get the blacks as bold as I want while essentially still keeping the whites as they are.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

McMadCow posted:

It's the way I print. Yes I burn the borders to vignette the scene, but the blacks in my printing come from using split filters, which means I can get the blacks as bold as I want while essentially still keeping the whites as they are.

I'm still very much learning when it comes to printing, it always impresses me how much you can push the blacks while keeping detail in the highlights with split filtering.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Meglitsch Poles & Log Furniture by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

A funny story about this one; I was driving past this on my way to Prineville, Oregon. The light wasn't right, so I figured I'd take a picture on my way back. On the way back, I missed my turn and ended up having to turn around in a trailer park just past it on the highway. I had just taken this picture when a guy on an ATV zooms up, locks up his brakes, and hops off, yelling at me that I should apologize. It turns out that part of the patch of dirt I'd turned around in was his front yard. Even though there'd been no kids or dogs around, I decided I should defuse the situation doing what he wanted, which was to apologize for endangering his kids and dog by driving across a corner of his "lawn." He insisted on shaking my hand, then hopped back on his ATV and zoomed off back down the highway.

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.

MrBlandAverage posted:

I used the Scheimpflug principle to increase the apparent depth of field in these photographs.

Can you please explain the movements of your lens and what you hoped to achieve with it? I still don't understand how to apply Scheimpflug in practice.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Fragrag posted:

Can you please explain the movements of your lens and what you hoped to achieve with it? I still don't understand how to apply Scheimpflug in practice.

Don't apply it to XKCD Larper IRL unless you like getting your balls crushed. That is tip #1.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fragrag posted:

I found this image to be rather informative:

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
Well, if we are actually gonna be helpful then this page is great. http://www.toyoview.com/LargeFrmtTech/lgformat.html Digging up a copy of Ansel Adams "The Camera" might also be benificial.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Fragrag posted:

I tilted the lens forward a few degrees in each case. In the first one, as a result, the plane of focus went through both the foreground and the pile of trees. In the second, closer-up one I also added a touch of swing so that the plane of focus was parallel with the outside of the pile of trees.

The image Platystemon posted is illustrative, but I prefer this simplified diagram from Wikipedia because it emphasizes the geometry:

In practice, your lens is generally much, much closer to the image than to the subject, so you need very little movement to change the plane of focus. The longer your lens or the closer your subject, the more movement is needed.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-cameras-camcorders-Speed-Graphic-W0QQAdIdZ475605484

Oh God, should I?

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

yea this is a great deal, you could just resell it if you don't like it

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Don’t do it. Get a real LF camera (i.e. one with movements).

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Speed Graphics are cool, but they are heavy and not as full featured as more expensive 4x5 cameras. That Polaroid back is a #545 and useless since it's for film you can't get anymore. The two wooden holders are junk and the "rare" bag magazine is cheap on ebay. Still $100 is an okay price for the camera and lens, but you could probably get one with a rangefinder for a little more. I doubt you would lose money though if you bought it, there always seems to be people looking for cheap Speeds for projects.

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

The back on that thing looks weird, it might be the "graflex" type that doesn't take normal film holders.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
If that's a Graflex back gently caress that poo poo.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

I have an MPP field camera and it has all the movements. It's actually pretty great, I can't think of any situation where I'd want a monorail camera over it for my work.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

McMadCow posted:

I have an MPP field camera and it has all the movements. It's actually pretty great, I can't think of any situation where I'd want a monorail camera over it for my work.

Speed Graphics are press cameras with less range of movement than a field camera.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

8th-samurai posted:

Speed Graphics are press cameras with less range of movement than a field camera.

MPPs are basically British Graphics. Look, there's even a side-mounted rangefinder!

A Graphic is a great first 4x5 camera. Sure, you won't have as much movement as many 4x5 cameras, but there's some, and it's great for getting used to the LF workflow, which is quite a bit different than with smaller formats.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
My bad I thought the MPP was a flatbed field camera.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
I'm still trying to find the top mount range finder plastic for my Crown. I also think I need a new spring for the rangefinder, since the cam refuses to stay in. I also need the master can so I can recalibrate the focus.

I figured I'd ask again in case anyone has come across some Graphic parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I went up to my in-laws in Vermont and forgot to bring my camera battery. Fortunately I had my Yashica!

The Furnace by I Like Natty Light, on Flickr

Calvin and Chloe by I Like Natty Light, on Flickr

Bullwinkle by the tree stump by I Like Natty Light, on Flickr

I had a question about the last picture. I've noticed my backgrounds appear to swirl when blurred. Is there any particular reason for this? Is that just the 'bokeh' caused by the leaf shutter?

Also, to whoever recommended the betterscanning.com inserts, those are awesome. This was my first chance to use them and it made scanning the negatives so much easier.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Apr 19, 2013

• Locked thread