Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Azzanadra
Jun 18, 2008

The Light is the power of Dance

SwitchbladeKult posted:

So... this is kind of a bitch.

Blacklight Forum Admin posted:

If you're worried about newbies... not sure you should be. Brand-new players aren't going to be noticing the differences between new attachments, they're going to be making higher-level changes: receivers and scopes. By the time they're ready to start trying new things, they're going to have a surprisingly large amount of stuff (and GP) from the Mission Chance Pack.

I would also much rather have early players have a week-long trial of a receiver than just one day. It's the same theory as League of Legends uses -- a week is long enough to grok a receiver, a day really isn't. If it's a choice between giving new players week to try one receiver, versus paying to use all of them for 24 hours, I'd rather give them the former.

Yeah the admins have their heads up their asses on this one. You can have the option to have a week long rental that is cheaper than renting the same thing 7 days in a row, that is a cool idea, but to take away a one day rental just 'cause is...bone-headed? Ignorant? I'm not sure what word to use so I'll just leave those two there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Holy poo poo. Gonna be playing a lot more Elsword and Planetside 2 in the future, I see. :v:

How large is the outcry right now? If it is sufficient and there aren't too many Zombie Apologists, then maybe it'll get reverted?

Azzanadra
Jun 18, 2008

I haven't seen a single voice of support for this decision on the official forums, I'm surprised by it honestly. I doubt it'll change anybody's minds though, and it just makes Black Ops 2 look like a good idea for any FPS shooty endeavors in the future.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Artificer posted:

Holy poo poo. Gonna be playing a lot more Elsword and Planetside 2 in the future, I see. :v:

How large is the outcry right now? If it is sufficient and there aren't too many Zombie Apologists, then maybe it'll get reverted?
The rage was maybe half as loud as this when people discovered the Reinforcement Pack for inactive players, and that led directly to the creation of the Veteran Pack.

I fully expect PWE to react and make some changes; they're not naturally greedy with their funbux economy, I mean the GP chance packs and Mission chance packs were way more generous than anyone would have hoped.

However if they were dumb enough to come up with this idea in the first place, then they're entirely capable to make the fix an equally big screwup.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Apr 17, 2013

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Well, if this game starts being unfun, I can just go to other video games, then. Haven't gotten too attached to this game.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

Artificer posted:

Well, if this game starts being unfun, I can just go to other video games, then. Haven't gotten too attached to this game.

:smith:

I really enjoyed renting a part for a day just to see if they were good on my gun. Playing gun barbies was half the fun, for me at least. This is really a boneheaded move on their part. Maybe I'll wander over to the :furcry: forums for a bit later.

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009
Note that it is now more expensive to "try" a single gun part than it used to cost to rent an entire set--receiver, muzzle, barrel, stock, magazine, and scope.

On the other hand, perma-ing armor is now less expensive (like, 6500 GP instead of 11000 GP.) So I guess that's better?

Can you still 1-day rent with ZEN? Because if so...Jesus, that's a little bloody obvious, isn't it?

edit: I like how their explanation is "newbies are too stupid to know what any of this poo poo does anyway". Um. wow. Also, if you're encouraging new players to rent scopes and receivers as their tryout guns, does that mean you're going to make all the scopes and receivers available at lower levels, and move the other parts to higher levels? No, BPFA is still a Level 27 gun. Welp.

Miss-Bomarc fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Apr 17, 2013

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Not sure if this was mentioned already, but it bears repeating:

:siren: Don't renew your rentals if you're coming back from a break from the game! :siren:
The game will switch to the new 7-day prices, so you could lose thousands of GP that way.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Hey so I like running really fast even if that means not having a lot of health, having something like 80% of ideal health with the option to just disappear from an encounter is appealing to me. So far I like the AR built for damage and a scoped revolver for range. I also really like shotguns. Would it be viable to build a rifle for range and "main" a pump-action shotgun as a fast low-health GitS man or does that sort of thing not really work when you leave the proving grounds? I have also been thinking about cloaks, optical decoys and HRV decoys- it seems like the HRV ones are more useful. Are these all things that have a place in the later game or is it all tanky health and riot shields?

A cool pal bought me the CQC pack so I have the neato armor that looks like a track suit.

Reiley fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Apr 17, 2013

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

"Main shotgun" works great on tiny maps like Helodeck and Metro, but on any larger one you will regularly have to kill people at >20 metres away (unless you strictly stay indoors but then what's the point of running fast?), so you can't quite treat the longer-range rifle as an afterthought.

For the decoys, regular cloak is better against newbies and HRV Cloak is WAY better against experienced players. With the decoys it's the opposite, the HRV Decoy is dumb and good players will never be fooled by it, but the holodecoy will often throw off even the best players for that critical half-second (and many newbies will be completely baffled when they meet it for the first few times).

Tank builds, especially medium tanks (210-230HP) are definitely stronger in combat. The benefit of speed builds isn't so much in strafing and dodging as it is in reaching objectives quickly or running away from bad engagements. So you can easily be your team's MVP as a runner, but if you like to play lots of TDM / KC you'll probably want to eventually acquire a tank build for those modes. (The one silver lining in this horrible update is that most armour prices have dropped by nearly half.)

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just picked up the optical decoy, and it's hilarious.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
At level 7, What would be a good mid ranged gun? I remember last time I played this, it was suggested to get The Regulator as it was decent, Is it still good? I remember having troubles with it before when i needed to focus aim and plink someone from far away as it had to be one shot before recoil hosed me.

Should I just look towards making a really accurate SMG or something and have a scoped secondary?

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Dizz posted:

At level 7, What would be a good mid ranged gun? I remember last time I played this, it was suggested to get The Regulator as it was decent, Is it still good? I remember having troubles with it before when i needed to focus aim and plink someone from far away as it had to be one shot before recoil hosed me.

Should I just look towards making a really accurate SMG or something and have a scoped secondary?

The Regulator is still a pretty good AR, and I feel that the AR in general have never been better than it is currently (except for the short period of 0 aimed-spread idiocy). You can use it for everything except BAR ranges, so I'd suggest sticking to it and then buy parts that's also useful on other recievers you may want later. Two quick examples:

Build 1, if you want a SMG later on:
Standard muzzle (until lvl 28 or 36)
Level 10 barrel
Level 7 stock
Level 12 or 15 scope

Build 2, if you eventually want a BAR:
Standard muzzle
Level 15 barrel
Level 15 stock
Level 12 scope
When you get the BAR, you'll probably want a proper sniper scope, and the level 7 muzzle to bring the damage down to 180 to eliminate aimed spread.

Lima fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Apr 17, 2013

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Dizz posted:

Here is how I build and use my weapons as of today if it helps:

TSMG - 38 damage - ADS - melee range
SMG - 45 dmg low recoil - Hip - close range
M4X - 45-50 dmg low recoil - Hip - mid
AR - 55 dmg - Hip - mid
AK47 - 57 dmg low spread - ADS - mid/long
HAR - 68 dmg low spread - ADS - mid/long
AMR - :psyboom: - all

Also, here is a gallery with a few of my current builds. I need to add my latest abominations. Organized Older -> Newer
http://imgur.com/a/OgmMe

E: I decided to make a different album for cool guns. These are the effective ones.

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Apr 17, 2013

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

So the :furcry: forums are as bad as I imagined they'd be. They are up in arms. Lots of posts about it, people changing their signatures, petitions, and buckets of stupid phrases like "unethical business practices" are being tossed about like confetti. I’m having a wonderful time watching them circle jerk.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Should I take the HRV Blackout over HE grenades? I've only got 2 equipment slots and it seems like Blackout would go well with Prox Mines and a CQC build for ambushes and such.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Artificer posted:

Should I take the HRV Blackout over HE grenades? I've only got 2 equipment slots and it seems like Blackout would go well with Prox Mines and a CQC build for ambushes and such.

It all depends. Blackouts are great fun especially paired with the proximity mine. I, however, can't stand not having a grenade to throw. I know you said you only have two slots so you'll have to choose. Me, I have problems choosing. I run 224 mostly to avoid having under 4 slots. Right now I use in order HE, Frag, Prox, Blackout. I keep wanting to get the Tomahawk but I love what I'm running. If I do get it it'll replace my Frag.

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Apr 17, 2013

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

SwitchbladeKult posted:

It all depends. Blackouts are great fun especially paired with the proximity mine. I, however, can't stand not having a grenade to throw. I know you said you only have two slots so you'll have to choose. Me, I have problems choosing. I run 224 mostly to avoid having under 4 slots. Right now I use in order HE, Frag, Prox, Blackout. I keep wanting to get the Tomahawk but I love what I'm running. If I do get it it'll replace my Frag.

So that's Colossus legs and...?

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Artificer posted:

So that's Colossus legs and...?

Fox+Cat helmet, Breakguard chest and Colossus legs I'm guessing.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Lima posted:

Fox+Cat helmet, Breakguard chest and Colossus legs I'm guessing.

Nailed it.

When I want to move fast I'll swap in the Bonebreaker helmet and the R2 Skirmisher legs.

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 17, 2013

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

This is a minor thing to complain about, but they've changed the Bunny achievement to 200 jumps instead of 40. I can understand if they thought it was too easy to get before, but I'm not at all dissuaded from doing it to get a Mission Chance Pack, so it just means that my teammates are inconvenienced for five times as long.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

drat that's some high level gear. I'll go for HRV then. I'll get HE grenade later. It's a lot more expensive, anyways, and it seems like HRV Blackout will be fun to hide around the corner with.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Artificer posted:

drat that's some high level gear. I'll go for HRV then. I'll get HE grenade later. It's a lot more expensive, anyways, and it seems like HRV Blackout will be fun to hide around the corner with.

Yeah, the armor is really the biggest thing that makes being low level suck.

Anyone got a cool looking high stamina/speed 4 slot 180+ HP build they would recommend that might work for our friend here? I'm not at home right now to go through my items.

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Apr 17, 2013

Azzanadra
Jun 18, 2008

Skyscraper posted:

This is a minor thing to complain about, but they've changed the Bunny achievement to 200 jumps instead of 40. I can understand if they thought it was too easy to get before, but I'm not at all dissuaded from doing it to get a Mission Chance Pack, so it just means that my teammates are inconvenienced for five times as long.

They intended to make it once a day to make it less an inconvenience, but because it seems to reset every 3 hours i'm not sure if it is better or not. Still, should have just gotten rid of it.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

They finally nailed me. :furcry:

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

It's funny, because back when that guy was a mod himself and we called him a furry, he would weep the tears of a sad oppressed manfox but he never actually tempabanned people for it.

Geschwafel
May 10, 2006

Frank sent me.
I thought "furry" was a derogatory term? Do people refer to themselves as that in a good way?!

Merica
Jan 28, 2009

Geschwafel posted:

I thought "furry" was a derogatory term? Do people refer to themselves as that in a good way?!

Yes. Yes they do.

Daman
Oct 28, 2011

SwitchbladeKult posted:

They finally nailed me. :furcry:

Any idea where the post was that they banned you for? Drama is always a good read.

Merica
Jan 28, 2009
Probably something about Tauxie. Since they all refuse to admit that he was a cheating gently caress.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

swatjr posted:

Probably something about Tauxie. Since they all refuse to admit that he was a cheating gently caress.

They even unbanned his account after they caught him not only cheating but helping distribute the cheats his girlfriend was creating! :psyduck:

Daman posted:

Any idea where the post was that they banned you for? Drama is always a good read.

This thread I'm almost positive. It's hard to say cause I bring up Tauxie a lot just to push buttons. They probably just gottired of my poo poo finally.

http://blacklight-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=635621

e: Nope. I remember now. I replied to a thread saying they need to make me a mod so I can clean up all their poo poo posts. They can't do worse than a 16 year old cheating furry! The thread has been deleted.

SwitchbladeKult fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Apr 17, 2013

WAMPA_STOMPA
Oct 21, 2010
trailturtle, who seems to be some kind of PWE community manager or something, said that he misread the new prices and should not have claimed prices were going down. So it looks there aren't any plans to bring prices down at all, and this 7-day switch really is just a cash grab. Too bad.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

WAMPA_STOMPA posted:

trailturtle, who seems to be some kind of PWE community manager or something, said that he misread the new prices and should not have claimed prices were going down. So it looks there aren't any plans to bring prices down at all, and this 7-day switch really is just a cash grab. Too bad.

Welp. That sucks rear end. A whole lot of rear end.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

To be fair the cost of armor was reduced by something like 40%, but yeah, most everything else got increased by ~10%.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
It's nice that I can run the game now on low graphics, but there actually is a downside. While it may be easier to see cloaked people, HRV has less definition on the geometry so unless I know where every object is in a room I will run into poo poo I cannot see in HRV. Ironic.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

It's nice that I can run the game now on low graphics, but there actually is a downside. While it may be easier to see cloaked people, HRV has less definition on the geometry so unless I know where every object is in a room I will run into poo poo I cannot see in HRV. Ironic.

I thought that's how it was supposed to work. Can you actually see geometry with higher graphics settings?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Hey sometimes people make voice commands with in-game speech, like not the mic but their agent saying things. Is that automatic or is there ways to give voice comms to teammates?

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Reiley posted:

Hey sometimes people make voice commands with in-game speech, like not the mic but their agent saying things. Is that automatic or is there ways to give voice comms to teammates?

God, I wish.

"HEAL ME, YOU DUMB MOTHERFUCKER."

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Artificer posted:

God, I wish.

"HEAL ME, YOU DUMB MOTHERFUCKER."

Wow if we're going to be rude maybe it's for the best our GitS-persons are silent!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Reiley posted:

Wow if we're going to be rude maybe it's for the best our GitS-persons are silent!!

Pffffffft. You haven't figured that out from Global chat yet? :v:

• Locked thread