Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Smornstein posted:

Just did my first online match and i figured "if i sacrifice myself that should kill the boss" except i was wrong and i just spent the rest of the match as a ghost is there anyway to come back to life if i sacrifice myself?

Nope! But you can see the bosses health and boost players or debuff the boss by touching them on the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
You know. I think the answer is "no" but I just want to make sure. You don't completely lose a spell (i.e. not able to equip in future battles/it is removed from your options) when you use all of its charges in the field, right?

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
You can pay Lacrima to get them back although i believe you can stack multiple copies of spells on your arm.

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
Can you pair a headset with the Vita to get voice chat in-game? Or are we stuck hoping everyone knows what to do?

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Epsilon Plus posted:

Can you pair a headset with the Vita to get voice chat in-game? Or are we stuck hoping everyone knows what to do?

Yes, I need to know this as well...cooperation would be really tricky otherwise.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

AlternateNu posted:

You know. I think the answer is "no" but I just want to make sure. You don't completely lose a spell (i.e. not able to equip in future battles/it is removed from your options) when you use all of its charges in the field, right?

The spell breaks. You'll see the little break on the icon. You can repair it by spending tears in between missions, just like Salamander. Once the spell is flashing red just don't use it again on that mission or you're going to be burning tears.

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
About to start the demo now. PSN ID is xwonderboyx. Gonna play single player for a bit but I'll be down for multi in the next few weeks.

symphoniccacophony
Mar 20, 2009
Just downloaded the English demo and played a few stages. I was disappointed to find out that they dropped the Arthurian names in favor of original fantasy names, that can't be a copyright issue can it? I love all the legends and part of the fun was to see how they are going to twist the familiar legend into something metal and totally awesome.

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe

Epsilon Plus posted:

Yes. Here's a video on how to do that.

There is a built-in mic on the Vita as well.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010
I'm downloading the demo at the moment and would love to get my friends list populated. jtm33us

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012
Also still really early on in the demo, but I'm digging it, even if I don't fully understand id.

Aerox fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Oct 29, 2014

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
Still can't beat Cerberus even with a full team however i think i got a rare spell off of the Harpy for Sacrificing myself, it's got a S next to so i assume it's rare.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Thanks, Balzac. Spent a few hours on it. I can see missions becoming unfun quickly if you aren't properly prepared for them, but it's a nice balancing act you need to keep in mind between saving and sacrificing. I found myself being the team healer. I also noticed a lot of the guys had more saves than sacrifices on their arms in general. Who knows how long that'll last in the full game.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Hit me up at burtology! Sorry if I missed this but how much of the demo still will carry over? Or will it just unlock something?

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I had a lot of fun with this tonight. I only unlocked multiplayer an hour ago and had two games.

SmokyWings
Mar 23, 2009

I pitty the fool who doesn't have enough calcium in their diet.

Don't forget your
VITAMIN A & D!

*Milk from rBST FREE cows
Lipstick Apathy
Well I've lost/killed all my friends... guess I will have to beat the Cerberus alone. Or I could go online PSN is SmokyWins

Frozenfries
Nov 1, 2012

Mailer posted:

The spell breaks. You'll see the little break on the icon. You can repair it by spending tears in between missions, just like Salamander. Once the spell is flashing red just don't use it again on that mission or you're going to be burning tears.

You can also sacrifice enemies and use your minds eye (up on the d-pad) to look for some 'geyser' things to recharge your spells. if I recall correctly, one mob sacrifice equates to 3 charges, so your spell isn't useless the moment it starts to flash red. Blood Magic doesn't need recharging however, but it does use your Hp so be careful!

Glad to see so many people enjoying the game though. I'm still trudging through my import copy but am still bummed the English DLC pack hasn't come out for it :(

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Speedball posted:

I also noticed a lot of the guys had more saves than sacrifices on their arms in general. Who knows how long that'll last in the full game.

This was really annoying, because while I've knowingly submitted myself to a Divine spec, it's because I intend to be the healer and supporter. More divine dudes generally tends to have diminishing returns and the team damage suffers because these people aren't specifically using divine-enhanced abilities. Right now this demo is still using old rules, so going 1/19 and facerolling until you're empty and have somebody kill you is still the easiest way to do things.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Downloaded the demo last night and all I have to say is...what the hell is going on in this game?

Rolling Start
Jan 11, 2012
The voice acting is kind of awful, but I'm really enjoying the demo so far.

I'm definitely down for some multiplayer (PSN ID is P_Grif)

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Man I don't see the complaints about the voice acting

The narrator and book are pretty good.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Man I don't see the complaints about the voice acting

The narrator and book are pretty good.

Yeah just the first dude talking in the intro is pretty bad. But the book and the narration is solid.

Joey Donuts
Feb 19, 2004

My code word will be: Endurance.

Emalde posted:

Right now this demo is still using old rules, so going 1/19 and facerolling until you're empty and have somebody kill you is still the easiest way to do things.

I played the demo for like three hours last night and I have no idea what you just said.

Edit: Nevermind. 1/19 is the level, get yourself killed for max damage, got it. What do you mean by old rules though? What's changed in the final game?

Joey Donuts fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Apr 18, 2013

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Can you respec in the demo? The rewrite Lv thing is grayed out for me.

e: Also while I'm pretty indifferent to the battle/field music, all the music tracks that play in the menus and lore pages and stuff is great.

Especially the tune that plays when you complete a mission.

Ibram Gaunt fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Apr 18, 2013

Arro
Mar 31, 2010

Joey Donuts posted:

I played the demo for like three hours last night and I have no idea what you just said.

He means going 1 divine level and 19 demon and then burning all your damage then getting sacrificed to do alot of damage is the best way to go, as we don't have the new rune set which balances things out apparently.

Also add me to the psn list ID: SpitfireArro

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
I've been thinking about the Cerberus boss for a while and I'd be glad if someone who has played the japanese version (anyone?) could clarify a few things.

The first thing is: is the boss meant to be faced at this point? The difficulty that is displayed on the missions page states that it is a bigger jump from the harpy than what the harpy is from the jack-o-lantern. I guess one factor that is increasing the difficulty is the fact that there are only a few stone type spells that can be accessed in the demo (axe and fist if I remember correctly) so no homing spears or ground seekers etc.

Secondly Emalde you said something about old rules, what do you mean by those? Was there some significant balance patch?

Smornstein
Nov 4, 2012
That's what i've been wondering is it even possible to kill Cerberus at this point? The most successful attempt i've had was getting him to around 1/4th of his health but that required three sacrifices and a couple Blight attacks.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
Cerb is a tactics check. A single shield user will shut him down, since blocking his charge makes him fall over.

The JP version recently got a patch so that going full demon and martyring yourself ASAP was not extremely more effective than playing as a Divine character.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Why are people so obsessed with using Infernus at the drop of a hat? I can't count how many Cerberus attempts I've been part of that has 2-3 people INSTANTLY use it the second they get hit once, thus dooming them to get one shotted by even the orcs.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
So I played over 20 hours of the JP demo and I can say without a doubt that this demo is harder. Cerberus was a complete chump before but there's a new mechanic which is making it very hard to roll all over him. Diminishing returns on stuns. Previously if a boss was knocked downed/stunned/part broken/whatever he would stay down for a good 30 seconds every time. This made Jack and Cerb easy as hell cause if two of their attacks can be blocked and they'll fall down. But in this demo they only fall down and roll around the first time. The next time they get up quicker, and then all the times after that they barely even fall down.

Also they seemed to have tweaked a lot of the moves and boss AI. Cerberus's spear attack used to be able to be blocked with the Ice Shield, that tactic will now practically instant kill you. The final boss of the single player would never roll and didn't have a Quick Move spell so you could just smack on them till they died making it the easiest fight in the game. Harpy's vacuum attack was practically impossible to get caught by, you could just run directly away from it and never get sucked in.

But even with all this said, yes Cerb is doable. Even with a full party. We did it last night (even though the last person died after we won but before the fight could end). I'm gonna have to disagree with Emalde for right now. Before you could just burn a boss down in like a minute easy-peasy. But now that everyone is new it's good to have a few Life levels so you can survive a few attacks and heal yourself better. Learn the fight before going 1/19 and just poo poo storming over everything.

mirarant
Dec 18, 2012

Post or die
Yeah I've been using ice shield to knock him down from his charges and following up with stone fists but these have been pubbie parties with wildly different loadouts. I suppose a more experienced group that understands to focus dps during the knockdown would have an easier time. Also why the gently caress must half the party run in to dps when the boss is charging his super aoe :negative:

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

Liking the demo so far, probably going to pick up the full game when it drops.
You can add me to the demo/full game PSN list:

JazzFlight, NA (avail: evenings, weekends)

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

This game is living up to my high expectations, havn't tried multiplayer yet but please add me to the list, PSN is same as my name here, NA.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

Wait, if I'm speccing in one arm, should I only be doing that one action (save/sacrifice)? I'm 3/6 right now and I want to gear towards damage.

mrEkli
Feb 9, 2004
I was there.

The Flying Milton posted:

Wait, if I'm speccing in one arm, should I only be doing that one action (save/sacrifice)? I'm 3/6 right now and I want to gear towards damage.

You don't have to but you need to keep one side considerably higher than the other, which you already have going on. To keep your Life Level in check, make sure to Sacrifice the ones that reduce Life as well as gaining Magic. You can't level down through this but it'll keep the unwanted side in its current level.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009

mrEkli posted:

You don't have to but you need to keep one side considerably higher than the other, which you already have going on. To keep your Life Level in check, make sure to Sacrifice the ones that reduce Life as well as gaining Magic. You can't level down through this but it'll keep the unwanted side in its current level.

In the full game you'll be able to reduce either of your levels in order to get the arm type you want. This is the "rewrite level" option on the arm screen that's greyed out in the demo.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Agnostalgia posted:

In the full game you'll be able to reduce either of your levels in order to get the arm type you want. This is the "rewrite level" option on the arm screen that's greyed out in the demo.

It actually is available in the demo but you have to hit the max level of 20 first. After that you can lower for a price.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

I feel like I'm doing something horribly wrong with this demo, which is a shame because I really want to like it. Went in to the network stuff with a buddy yesterday, and the harpy just continuously destroyed us over and over. We'd manage to break a wing with mortars and an Infernus when one of us got super low on HP, but her speed coupled with a vacuum attack I can't quite figure out how to dodge properly made really short work of us both. I'm 4/7 on my arm, but I feel super squishy and can't seem to dodge effectively half the time.

Fellatio del Toro
Mar 21, 2009

For the vacuum attack you just have to hold sprint and run away. Alternate, better strat is to take the AOE heal skill and use it during that attack. It roots you in place so just use it when you get close to the boss and you'll not only not have to worry about getting eaten but will also heal everyone trying to run away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
For the harpy's breath, you sprint or roll for its duration. You'll only get inhaled if you fail to sprint, or if you're too close to her.

• Locked thread