Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Jordan7hm posted:

I thought he might slip a bit more but I definitely had him on a shortlist. Not surprised he didn't make it back around.

It's not just his production. He's a big kid and a good skater.

Yeah, I understand - I just meant that because of his production, it's not likely anyone here managed to just overlook him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
Welp. Looks like I'm picking tomorrow. What a boner killer.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Also again ianss, can we take CHL players signed to NHL entry level deals? Or can we only take players playing in the NHL/AHL/ECHL?

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

T-Bone posted:

Also again ianss, can we take CHL players signed to NHL entry level deals? Or can we only take players playing in the NHL/AHL/ECHL?

i think he said "nhl/ahl only" but echl is obv implied

no boucher! he wont be that good anyways

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Verviticus posted:

i think he said "nhl/ahl only" but echl is obv implied

no boucher! he wont be that good anyways

"you are drafting your team from all current players on professional contracts (NHL/AHL only)" is the quote in the OP, but technically there are guys in the CHL on NHL contracts (guys who even played a few NHL games this year) so that's what I'm confused by.

And Boucher is in the AHL :o: EDIT HIM OUT IMMEDIATELY !!!@%252!!

e: although he just joined the AHL. There should probably be a rule on that as players sign try out deals at the end of their CHL/NCAA seasons (aka right now) Like if star prospect X signs at the end of the season but midway through our draft it's not really fair that everyone didn't get a shot at him. This is why I said everyone in the world should be available -- makes it simpler. Want to draft a Radulov? Fine, but you run the risk of him not coming over. It's not like the Preds are gonna release Radulov's rights so why not just let managers take that risk. I mean isn't that what this is kinda about? Kuznetsov is gonna come over at some point it seems kind of silly that no one will draft him.

de: Stefan Matteau is a good example. Dude burned a year of his ELC this year but is technically in the Q right now. Can I draft him?

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Apr 18, 2013

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

T-Bone posted:

"you are drafting your team from all current players on professional contracts (NHL/AHL only)" is the quote in the OP, but technically there are guys in the CHL on NHL contracts (guys who even played a few NHL games this year) so that's what I'm confused by.

And Boucher is in the AHL :o: EDIT HIM OUT IMMEDIATELY !!!@%252!!

e: although he just joined the AHL. There should probably be a rule on that as players sign try out deals at the end of their CHL/NCAA seasons (aka right now) Like if star prospect X signs at the end of the season but midway through our draft it's not really fair that everyone didn't get a shot at him. This is why I said everyone in the world should be available -- makes it simpler. Want to draft a Radulov? Fine, but you run the risk of him not coming over. It's not like the Preds are gonna release Radulov's rights so why not just let managers take that risk. I mean isn't that what this is kinda about? Kuznetsov is gonna come over at some point it seems kind of silly that no one will draft him.

How we handled it in the MLB draft was eligbility (which was one major league game played) was frozen on the first day. Seems like that would be the fair thing for this too.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Infidel Castro posted:

How we handled it in the MLB draft was eligbility (which was one major league game played) was frozen on the first day. Seems like that would be the fair thing for this too.

It would be way easier/simpler if any player whose rights are currently held by a NHL team were available. There are major prospects right now that will not be drafted who are much more integral to their teams future than random ahl scrub 101.

Here's the actual Reserve List rule btw in the new CBA:

quote:

"Reserve List" means the list of all Players to whom a Club has rights including all Unsigned Draft Choices, all Players signed to an SPC (whether or not currently playing in the NHL), and all Players who have signed an SPC but who have subsequently been returned to Juniors. A Club may have on its Reserve List, at any one time, not more than 90 Players, which shall include the following:

(a) Not more than 50 Players signed to an SPC and not less than 24 Players and 3 goalkeepers under an SPC. Age 18 and age 19 Players who were returned to Juniors, and who have not played 11 NHL Games in one season, shall be exempt from inclusion in the 50 Player limit.

(b) Unsigned Draft Choices.

e: I mean none of this really matters right now because none of these guys would be picked for a while (even the really good CHL dudes) unless someone wanted to roll the dice with Radulov or Kuznetsov but there were like five picks total today and I wanna post

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Apr 18, 2013

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
yeah its a bit odd. take for example, jordan schroeder (who nobody is going to compete to draft) after his last year of college. he was junior age eligible but because he was drafted out of... prep? high school? he was able to compete in the AHL a year early

youd have to set a line that unfairly fucks some players and i see the best options:

A: must have played in the AHL or NHL, CHL players excluded (no boucher, no corrado)
B: must be signed to an NHL contract or an ELC (allows them and any player with an ELC, wouldn't allow most 3rd-7th round picks right now)
C: must be signed to any professional contract (NHL, ELC, PTO (professional tryout), ATO)
D: allow everyone, retards who draft brandon reid or whatever can just lose or ianss can veto the really retarded picks

boucher's actually a special case because his elc kicks in next year instead of this year because nobody loving knows why thanks lou but he would just be assumed to fall under B: and definitely falls under C:

edit: and yes i know an ELC is an NHL contract but its unique in that it slides

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Allowing everyone seems like the best idea to me and not just because I want to draft Petr Prucha

(actually he's not under rights to any NHL team, and everyone would technically mean SETH JONES).

So by everyone I mean anyone currently under rights to a NHL team (timemarked to the start of this draft). That's the easiest way to go imo although I guess a lot of middling AHlers would not be taken in favor of prospects but who loving cares the latter will have an effect on a NHL team's future, the former will not.

e: Last e before I pass out - it just seems kinda silly to me to draft 50 fuckin players and not take prospects. Honestly the last 15-20 or so picks will be completely useless players, whereas if you include anyone under NHL rights that adds another layer of strategy to the late late rounds (do you take a B prospect or an AHL superstar? decisions decisions).

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Apr 18, 2013

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i dont think we're going to finish the ahl. how many of us could fill out a roster with good ahl players? for the most part its just going to be the prospects people recognize first (the bouchers, the corrados etc) and then MAYBE a wave of ahl allstars people knew four years ago like jason krog or darren haydar or keith seabrook or whatever and then people are just going to go to their farm team and read the list

also, who wouldn't pick the B prospect? it's not like anyone here can properly evaluate AHL talent. oh man i really like their team because they've got big fat floater Marc Mancari

edit: i think we should be able to pick anybody we want honestly. if you can write up a three paragraph defence of your favourite prospect maybe people will be convinced

i assume this ultimately coming to a popularity contest

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Apr 18, 2013

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Tedenby-Bolduc-Strome unstoppable

e: and I would totally load up half my AHL team with vets but I'm weird and go to SPHL games when I'm at home k now I'm really going to bed.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

As long as a player is signed in either AHL or NHL it is fine. Matteau has an ELC. He is draftable

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
Well, I'm in meetings all day today now. If it comes to me...again, I'm sending IANSS my pick.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
Man I woke up to 20 posts this morning and I was all excited because I thought it meant we got through a few picks

:smith:

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
It's been almost 12 hours right? Can we get a consensus pick planned?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

I agree with this, if we're going to draft the entire 50 contracts.

If we're drafting two teams, it would make more sense to stick with AHL / NHL players.

Also we should clarify the date of eligibility, because this is going to take long enough that there will be new guys signed to contracts while we're in the process of drafting.

quote:

e: and I would totally load up half my AHL team with vets but I'm weird and go to SPHL games when I'm at home k now I'm really going to bed.

I think you go 75/25 young guys to vets. You don't want to end up like a Chicago wolves team where nobody ever gets developed, but if you look for example at the Bingo Sens run for the Calder Cup a couple years ago, guys like Pouliot and Corey Locke were key to their eventual success. Also Benoit, but we eventually turned him into an NHLer I guess.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Apr 18, 2013

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Players are eligible to be drafted the moment they sign a contract. I get home from work at 3pm. If a pick hasn't yet been made, I will consensus it.

Guys, send me lists. It couldn't hurt. We want this to go as smoothly as possible.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
K, so basically all the top CHL guys are available since most of them have already signed ELCs. But the NCAA guys aren't and some of the Euros aren't.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

T-Bone posted:

K, so basically all the top CHL guys are available since most of them have already signed ELCs. But the NCAA guys aren't and some of the Euros aren't.

Correct.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

i am not so sure posted:

Players are eligible to be drafted the moment they sign a contract. I get home from work at 3pm. If a pick hasn't yet been made, I will consensus it.

Guys, send me lists. It couldn't hurt. We want this to go as smoothly as possible.

So if Kusnetsov signs a contract halfway into the 25th round of drafting, too bad for everyone not drafting in that spot?

(I know it's not that big a deal, but it's kind of silly.)

jopo
Jan 29, 2007

Kovalev out 6-8 months with lazy bones
Sorry guys, I had softball right after work. I'm taking Plekanec I'll do a writeup later.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

I would have preferred you took the pre-ninja edit guy :(

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I'm on a lunch break coincidentally - gimme two secs and don't make my post IANSS.

edit: oh goddamnit I have to wait one more!??!

THE TORTURE

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
Calm down, I'm here. Give me a bit to survey options and make sure I'm positive.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Plekanec is a good pick, one of the few remaining #1 centers on the board.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
6 more picks oh god I'm sweating bullets

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

T-Bone posted:

Plekanec is a good pick, one of the few remaining #1 centers on the board.

Better than the first pick he made before editing his post, I would say.

Also, taking hours to make your pick and then ninja-editing it after several people have read it is pretty lame.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 18, 2013

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
With the fourth pick the Tampa Bay Lightning opt to continue some strange Atlanta Thrashers Reunion Tour and select Bryan Little.

Position: C,RW
Cap hit: $2,383,333 through 2012-2013

The Lightning organization decided it was probably prudent to select someone who might be a better option at center than Jeff Skinner, as well it would probably be a good idea to draft a guy who is right handed, while decided Kari has done just fine with the flimsiest of defenses for years anyways. Little is a fairly young guy whose production has been on the rise, which is always a positive, outside of this truncated season, which is more an anomaly than anything, really.

Edit: Just when Kane and Little think they've escaped this division, I pull them right back in.

Chairman Wao fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 18, 2013

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The Thrashers + Jeff Skinner. 10th seed ahoy

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

YESSSSS

BONER

With the 15423th pick of the draft, the Calgary Flames seal up the best back-end starting three in the league with

Craig Anderson

Elite (and let's be honest, for the last few years there is no other word to describe Anderson's performance) goaltending for $2-3M less than a lot others are going to pay? Sign me up.

Originally drafted by the Flames, Craig "The pervert" Anderson is coming home, to the bosom where he belongs.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I like the Anderson pick. (Except two years ago his performance with Colorado was anything but elite. Also last year elite is a huge stretch. He was decent in the first half, good in the second half. This year he's playing like he did in the two months after coming to Ottawa, ie. lights out. The guy is streaky.)

Brian Little isn't bad either.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

Relevant info for Mr. Anderson http://flames.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=57776

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Little is alright but there are better forwards on the board (admittedly for more money but he hasn't spent much).

I like the Anderson pick but I'd be worried Duchene will end up on an island if there's a second tier forward rush soon.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going out for a little bit. I doubt it'll be an issue, but my pick will be an hour or two once VJeff makes his.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

T-Bone posted:

Little is alright but there are better forwards on the board (admittedly for more money but he hasn't spent much).

I like the Anderson pick but I'd be worried Duchene will end up on an island if there's a second tier forward rush soon.

Yep, gamble I was taking, definitely mulled this over during the night. I thought it would be more likely to see a run on goalies, and the drop off in terms of quality in net was going to be much steeper than the drop off I'd see up front.

jopo
Jan 29, 2007

Kovalev out 6-8 months with lazy bones

mennoknight posted:

Yep, gamble I was taking, definitely mulled this over during the night. I thought it would be more likely to see a run on goalies, and the drop off in terms of quality in net was going to be much steeper than the drop off I'd see up front.

I can't believe Anderson didn't even occur to me, would have taken him over Plekanec for sure :(

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Jordan7hm posted:

I'm going out for a little bit. I doubt it'll be an issue, but my pick will be an hour or two once VJeff makes his.

PM me a list! Guys, if you're not going to be around, even for a little bit, just send me a couple players you want. If we can keep things moving as fast as possible that's ideal.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Who needs to draft goalies? Just sign some European dude after the draft, whatever.

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

Was my contract good for you, too?
Toskala is mine you can't have him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

i am not so sure posted:

what about a guy who signs an ATO/PTO and then we draft him and then his ATO/PTO expires?

• Locked thread