Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Furism posted:

I'm looking for an Android-based Classic (Western) RPG. Something "Baldur's Gate"-like. Most of the RPGs I find are jRPGs or similar. I'd like something RTwP if at all possible. The closest I could find is Knights of Pen & Paper.

I know BG Extended Edition is set to release soon, and ideally I'd like something similar even with lower production value. Doesn't have to be heroic fantasy, a Fallout-like is also totally acceptable. I just want a game to play during my many plane flights when I'm out of books to read.

Spiderweb Software's Avadon and Avernum are both available for Android, and they are very Baldur's Gate-ish, I think you'll like them. They have turn-based combat, though, not RTwP.

Avadon gameplay

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Furism posted:

I'm looking for an Android-based Classic (Western) RPG. Something "Baldur's Gate"-like. Most of the RPGs I find are jRPGs or similar. I'd like something RTwP if at all possible. The closest I could find is Knights of Pen & Paper.

I know BG Extended Edition is set to release soon, and ideally I'd like something similar even with lower production value. Doesn't have to be heroic fantasy, a Fallout-like is also totally acceptable. I just want a game to play during my many plane flights when I'm out of books to read.

I'd like to second the request, but Kingturn RPG has been scratcing my turn-basedness itch pretty well. It's not as much a RPG, but the combat is fun and all in all well worth the money. There are free versions to try it out yourself.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Korak posted:

Are there any good and recent(within the past 2 years released) non-Magic The Gathering computer card games out there? Preferably online play.

You might want to sign up for the HearthStone beta, then. I`m drawing (heh) a blank, otherwise.

SatelliteCore
Oct 16, 2008

needa get dat cake up

Ahhhh, found the thread without starting my own.

After buying farming simulator 2013 with a friend of mine and playing it for 2 hours I couldn't take it anymore. While it had some management and planning that I liked it is entirely too slow with just virtual busywork. I want something in the same vein that is worth digging into.

What I'm looking for is a collaborative adventure, simulation, sandbox, RPG, or strategy PC game. (No MMO) I want players to work as a team(s), with or without leadership, towards goals that are built-in or made up. I really don't care what traditional genre it is. It can be 2+ players, 4+ hopefully. I can run a server if need be.

Here are some basic leads:

Moonbase Alpha- Haven't played it, not sure if that is going to be enough
Minecraft- I'm working on raising interest in it but it is going to really too much on me setting goals.
Terraria- Same as minecraft. I know less about this game.
Deer Hunter 2005- While this doesn't really fit it was really fun to play this as a group.
OpenTTD- I am the only one that has played this. It might be a bit too hands off/simulation based. I'll have to give it another try myself.
GTA IV- Fun but really just fuckery/no goals in free play.
Borderlands II- I hate those loving games.
Titan Quest/Torchlight II- Good fun but loot is the only goal after completing the campaign.
ARMA II- I appreciate depth but I can't justify getting these guys into that.
Mount & Blade Series- I'm not sure how much of this can be played co-op persistently. Is there a persistent co-op campaign in any of them?
Civ IV/V- Turn based doesn't really fit this group.

These are lovely starting points but hopefully you guys can jog your memories better than I did.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
As far as I can remember it doesn't specifically tell you to pursue them, but Terraria totally has a bunch of bosses and gear to go for and the like. It sounds to me like exactly what you want.

The other thing, if you want to go down a massive rabbit hole, is to play League of Legends or Dota. Those games are a lot of fun if you have 4-5 dudes. They look really intimidating but they're currently some of the biggest games in the world so if you have any interest in competitive multiplayer give them a go.

Edit: Haha, oh yeah, Moonbase Alpha. There's not much replayability to that game or anything like that and it's pretty short, but you should check it out just because it's 1 part rad if you like the moon or NASA and 2 parts hilarious.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Apr 16, 2013

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Kerbal Space Program?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

SatelliteCore posted:

What I'm looking for is a collaborative adventure, simulation, sandbox, RPG, or strategy PC game. (No MMO) I want players to work as a team(s), with or without leadership, towards goals that are built-in or made up. I really don't care what traditional genre it is. It can be 2+ players, 4+ hopefully. I can run a server if need be.

Going to quote my posts from last page since you seem to be asking for a co-op RPG as well:

Phlegmish posted:

Well, my recommendation is not really 'strategy', but since you mentioned The Banner Saga I assume RPGs are acceptable as well? Larian Studios, the developers of Divine Divinity back in the day, are going to be releasing a PC-only old-school (I know, but they actually mean it) turn-based RPG called Divinity: Original Sin in October. The tactical combat is going to involve environmental effects; for example, you'll be able to electrocute someone standing in a puddle for extra damage. I don't know if it's going to be super-deep, but it certainly sounds like a lot of fun, and from what you're saying I don't think you're looking for an ultra-grognard game anyway. They have a Kickstarter going on right now, you can check out some gameplay footage there if this sounds interesting.

quote:

Divinity: Original Sin features drop-in/drop-out co-operative multiplayer, in which each player takes full control of a hero.

By full control, we mean that you don't have to stick together. You are free to go and act as you see fit. And when a decision has to be made, both heroes have to agree: just like in a pen and paper RPG, everyone has a voice.

Key to this is our unique Party Dialogue System that has both players participating in an ongoing interaction, given that they're close enough to each other to hear the dialog and intervene. So rather than taking the party leader's final word, every member of the group gets to weigh in on the outcome.

If you don't agree with each other, the game looks at your persuasive abilities. The decision that wins is based on stats, the particular situation and the the approach taken to persuade the party. The game remembers the nature of your decisions as personal traits, and this in turn affects the relation between the party members.

Sticking together with your partner is optional. Feel free to run off and explore on your own, make decisions on your own, keep loot for yourself, and deal with people how you see fit. But be prepared to face the consequences of your actions.

In the event you hear your friend crying for help because he is being torn apart, turn by turn, you have the option to join him or her in turn-based combat. Indeed, it is possible for either player to be in turn-based combat while the other is exploring in real-time. And it is equally possible for both players to have their own turn-based fights at the same time. Surviving such a thing however, is a different story.

It's only coming out in October, though.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

SatelliteCore posted:

The latest SimCity lets each of the players in a multiplayer game to create their own city, but interact with the others by setting trade agreements, having your citizens commute to work in other cities, etc. It's a lot of fun IF you manage to play it. Last time I tried before being distracted by other shiny things the connection issues made the thing almost unplayable.

Starbound (Terraria IN SPACE!) is allowing pre-orders now, so this should be available soon-ish.

For something way more complex, but realy fun once you get the grasp of it, try Space Station 13. It's a MMO, but not in the usual sense (you change characters from game to game). Quoting from the thread in SA.

I Said No posted:

Yeah right. What is Space Station 13 really?
Oh fine. Space Station 13 is your own personal journey into the heart of a badly funded, horribly managed space station staffed by dysfunctional lunatics and sociopathic imbeciles who would just as quickly cave your skull in with a fire extinguisher as they would use their job positions to find new and exciting ways to torture you to death and mangle your corpse in a variety of very cruel, unusual and creative ways. The engineers are too busy smoking weed with the botanists (who have secretley laced it with LSD) to start the engine, the Security forces are hauling everyone off to the brig to never be seen again, the Medics are dropping napalm into their patients' eyeballs to see what happens and the Chef is gibbering in something that sounds vaguely like swedish while stuffing people into the meat grinder in his kitchen.

All the while, the plots and schemes of traitors and madmen alike are clashing together and creating untold chaos while the whole station keeps on spiralling downards into its inevitable evacuation or destruction. Sometimes both!

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

No one gives a fuck about shit.
So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,
Cause shit's fucked anyway.
Shit is run in to the ground.

I don't wanna think about it,
I just wanna get down.
I have a strangely specific itch and I can't think of any games that scratch it.

I want a party-based RPG that's focused on a dungeon with as little story as possible. Furthermore, this game would ideally have lots of non-combat skills, strong character customization, and deep combat. ToEE should fit the bill perfectly but I've never been able to get in to it because I really do not like having to walk around and talk to people and read quests. I would prefer something like a roguelike with permadeath, random unidentified items/level generation, turn-based combat, and grid-based movement.

The closest thing I can think of is Mordor: The Depths of Dejenol which is too dated for me these days (that game came out 18 years ago, holy poo poo!), does anyone have any ideas?

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Blunt Force Trauma posted:

I have a strangely specific itch and I can't think of any games that scratch it.

I want a party-based RPG that's focused on a dungeon with as little story as possible. Furthermore, this game would ideally have lots of non-combat skills, strong character customization, and deep combat. ToEE should fit the bill perfectly but I've never been able to get in to it because I really do not like having to walk around and talk to people and read quests. I would prefer something like a roguelike with permadeath, random unidentified items/level generation, turn-based combat, and grid-based movement.

The closest thing I can think of is Mordor: The Depths of Dejenol which is too dated for me these days (that game came out 18 years ago, holy poo poo!), does anyone have any ideas?

I don't really understand what "non-combat skills" would be used for in a game where you don't talk to people or read quests. Do you mean, like, lockpicking or what? Can you give me an example?

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.

Ashenai posted:

I don't really understand what "non-combat skills" would be used for in a game where you don't talk to people or read quests. Do you mean, like, lockpicking or what? Can you give me an example?

Sure. Think of things like item lore (to identify items), crafting/tinkering/alchemy, camping, swimming, climbing, tracking. Things that I can use to roleplay my characters instead of to just min/max them. Even things that have an effect on combat but aren't directly involved would be interesting, like maybe some kind of singing/performance skill to buff the party.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Sure. Think of things like item lore (to identify items), crafting/tinkering/alchemy, camping, swimming, climbing, tracking. Things that I can use to roleplay my characters instead of to just min/max them. Even things that have an effect on combat but aren't directly involved would be interesting, like maybe some kind of singing/performance skill to buff the party.

I see! Okay, I think you definitely gave up on ToEE too early. It sounds very close to the perfect game for you. There's a lot of (quite boring) walking around questy bullshit in the starting village, but after that almost the entire thing is a gigantic dungeon crawl. It's actually what most people criticize about it, but since that's what you're looking for, I tihnk you'll enjoy it once you make it out of Hommlet.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dungeons of Dredmor sounds like that would be right up your alley honestly.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Turtlicious posted:

Dungeons of Dredmor sounds like that would be right up your alley honestly.

Not party-based, though.

Blunt Force Trauma
Mar 16, 2008

So fuck your shit.
We fuck shit up,

I just wanna get down.
Yeah, I love Dredmor but I really want something party-based. I remembered another game that fit the mold really well: The second NWN2 expansion, Storm of Zehir. You know, the one that no one liked. I loved that game! I guess it doesn't need to be focused on a single dungeon because SoZ had a world map littered with small dungeons and I had a blast wandering around and finding hidden areas and random encounters.

I'll have to give ToEE another try, I never made it very far past the second town, never reached the Temple itself.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yeah, I love Dredmor but I really want something party-based. I remembered another game that fit the mold really well: The second NWN2 expansion, Storm of Zehir. You know, the one that no one liked. I loved that game! I guess it doesn't need to be focused on a single dungeon because SoZ had a world map littered with small dungeons and I had a blast wandering around and finding hidden areas and random encounters.

I'll have to give ToEE another try, I never made it very far past the second town, never reached the Temple itself.

Hmmm... What about Legend of Grimrok, I've heard good things about it, while it only has 1 dungeon, it's huge you get a party of 4, and the story is non-existant.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Another game you might like (that no one else did) is Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor (the 2001 game, not the original Pool of Radiance from 1988.) I don't think there are non-combat skills in that one, but it's got the party-based dungeon crawling down pat.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ashenai posted:

Another game you might like (that no one else did) is Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor (the 2001 game, not the original Pool of Radiance from 1988.) I don't think there are non-combat skills in that one, but it's got the party-based dungeon crawling down pat.

Blasphemy!

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Darklands fits the bill, except it's not focused on a dungeon and also quite dated. Along the same lines as Darklands there's also the Realms of Arkania series especially in regards to non-combat skills. They're notoriously difficult and complex though, where you have to worry about things like contracting a disease if you don't use utensils while traveling.

SatelliteCore
Oct 16, 2008

needa get dat cake up

Fat Samurai posted:

SimCity
Starbound
Space Station 13
SimCity is a cluster gently caress I regret pre-ordering. That game will never have the depth it promised because the simulation is fundamentally broken. This would have been perfect.
I've seen starbound on Kickstarter and I'm looking forward to the release.
I'll take a look at space station 13 but since none of it is really persistent/can be worked on over time I don't think it fits the group.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Kerbal Space Program?
I haven't played it (always planned on it) but it doesn't seem like multiplayer has been implemented yet.

Phlegmish posted:

Divinity: Original Sin
I'll keep an eye on it. I saw the kickstarter. Edit: We backed it.

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Terraria
League of Legends or Dota
Terraria is the first game we are going to try. I've played it on my own but, more so than minecraft, it is semi-aimless. It is much less complex on the building/simulation side but deeper on the combat/gear side.
I have ~700 games in DotA2. It is my favorite game at the moment but these guys are super competitive like me.

SatelliteCore fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Apr 16, 2013

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Now this is probably a little awkward, so I'm not expecting a lot, but here goes anyway!

Me and my girlfriend are going to be spending about a year apart and we were thinking about things to do together. What I'm looking for are games that would work online on both her mac and my pc. It probably needs to be fairly simple in gameplay. Preferably not very violent, with no blood. Games she has previously enjoyed include Scribblenauts and the old Mario games. Something puzzley or flash game-ish might be fine, but something we could interact and cooperate in would be preferable to something competetive.

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

RillAkBea posted:

Now this is probably a little awkward, so I'm not expecting a lot, but here goes anyway!

Me and my girlfriend are going to be spending about a year apart and we were thinking about things to do together. What I'm looking for are games that would work online on both her mac and my pc. It probably needs to be fairly simple in gameplay. Preferably not very violent, with no blood. Games she has previously enjoyed include Scribblenauts and the old Mario games. Something puzzley or flash game-ish might be fine, but something we could interact and cooperate in would be preferable to something competetive.

Kind of a tall order there, but have you heard of Puzzle Pirates? You could also try 4x games like Civilization (Alpha Centauri is excellent, cheap and works on Mac and Windows); they're competitive in the same way a board game is, but you can ally with each other against AI opponents.

Trine might also fit your needs.

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."

Ashenai posted:

Woah woah woah woah. He asked for recommendations for dungeon crawlers, he didn't ask to have his entire file structure deleted.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Exploding Poptart posted:

Woah woah woah woah. He asked for recommendations for dungeon crawlers, he didn't ask to have his entire file structure deleted.

Yeah that was a fun bug. It's been patched out though so quit yer fearmongering t:mad:t

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

RillAkBea posted:

Trine 2 is the perfect game for this, been playing it with my non-gamer gf as per an earlier recommendation in this thread, A+. I put the difficulty to easy for her so we're basically playing it just like a puzzle game.

Edit: The morning after we played it a bunch she told me she had a dream about reorganizing our apartment by levitating stuff around (like the mage) :3:

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I just finished Binary Domain, and now I'm looking for another PC game that's just fun to play. No heavy narrative or grimdark storyline. Something like Bulletstorm, Saint's Row, or Ys. No grimdark storyline, just explody times with fun characters. I have played Borderlands II, which was... ok.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

AfricanBootyShine posted:

I just finished Binary Domain, and now I'm looking for another PC game that's just fun to play. No heavy narrative or grimdark storyline. Something like Bulletstorm, Saint's Row, or Ys. No grimdark storyline, just explody times with fun characters. I have played Borderlands II, which was... ok.

The Serious Sam games come to mind, if you're into fun, mindless shooting. I don't know how important the "fun character" bit is, though. Serious Sam is the only actual character in those games, and all he ever says is one-liners. He's basically Duke Nukem, only not all tryhard and creepy.

Just Cause 2 is another great game for this type of gameplay. There's a storyline I guess, but it really doesn't matter. You're basically Generic 80s Action Hero in an open world, and the game is just nonstop crazy stunts and fun action.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon is out shortly and is pretty much exactly what you want.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
Recommend a game to someone who just now upgraded to DX11 from DX9. I play pretty much everything I can get my hands on, so I'm not worried about something I've never played before; what games should I go back and play again that will really shine on this new hardware?

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

Slim Killington posted:

Recommend a game to someone who just now upgraded to DX11 from DX9. I play pretty much everything I can get my hands on, so I'm not worried about something I've never played before; what games should I go back and play again that will really shine on this new hardware?

Metro 2033, Arkham City, Skyrim, The Witcher 2, and Tombraider are all really good looking games.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Slim Killington posted:

Crysis 1-3, cross out whichever you've already played. Just make sure to get the official HD texture and DX11 patches for Crysis 2 before playing so it looks as good as possible.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Leper Residue posted:

Metro 2033, Arkham City, Skyrim, The Witcher 2, and Tombraider are all really good looking games.

Nice, thanks. I already reinstalled AC and TR assuming they'd top the list, but I forgot all about The Witcher 2. I wasn't even able to play that on my old machine. Cheers!

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I've been playing a lot of survival horror lately, and have checked out most of the obvious ones (Silent Hill, Resident Evil, etc). Could anyone suggest something good which I might have missed? Preferably something I can get running on my PC - I don't really have any consoles besides my old Playstation 1.

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Apr 19, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

crowfeathers posted:

I've been playing a lot of survival horror lately, and have checked out most of the obvious ones (Silent Hill, Resident Evil, etc). Could anyone suggest something good which I might have missed? Preferably something I can get running on my PC - I don't really have any consoles besides my old Playstation 1.

There's a demo for DreadOut which was interesting - it's like Fatal Frame/Project Zero, but with a smartphone and Indonesian horror. Other than that.. Dino Crisis? Parasite Eve (kidna)?

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

crowfeathers posted:

I don't know if Amnesia, Penumbra, and the Dead Space games qualify as "obvious," to you, but they're all often talked about (with good reason,) and worth trying. If you're looking for something a bit more off the beaten track, try Cold Fear. It's a survival horror game where you have to explore an abandoned cargo ship in a storm. I enjoyed it quite a bit; the atmosphere is very well done. I don't think it's quite as good as the first three suggestions, though, so if you haven't played those, start there.

TroubledWaters
Aug 9, 2007

Some kind of...
oil trap!
Are there any indie or lesser known sports games out there that aren't terrible? It doesn't even have to be a real sport.

In fact, I might prefer to play a made-up sport! I loved Speedball: Brutal Deluxe.

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I'm in need of a quality flash, Chrome, or something else casual and computer based. I sit at a reference desk for a few hours a night, and some nights I just don't want to read. The game cannot be action-based as I have to actually do my job and help someone about once an hour.

I'd really like some type of sports manager/simulator game (a la Football Manager) or Be a Pro style game (like that mode all mainstream sports games have). I'd also be cool with an engaging RPG or TCG style game. As long as the game has a long goal I can build to, I'd be happy. Also, no tower defenses. I've basically exhausted them.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

joshtothemaxx posted:

I'm in need of a quality flash, Chrome, or something else casual and computer based. I sit at a reference desk for a few hours a night, and some nights I just don't want to read. The game cannot be action-based as I have to actually do my job and help someone about once an hour.

I'd really like some type of sports manager/simulator game (a la Football Manager) or Be a Pro style game (like that mode all mainstream sports games have). I'd also be cool with an engaging RPG or TCG style game. As long as the game has a long goal I can build to, I'd be happy. Also, no tower defenses. I've basically exhausted them.

Xperteleven.com is exactly for you. There's even a big goon league, check us out in games.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Slim Killington posted:

Nice, thanks. I already reinstalled AC and TR assuming they'd top the list, but I forgot all about The Witcher 2. I wasn't even able to play that on my old machine. Cheers!

Note that while The Witcher 2 looks amazing it does not use DX11. Tomb Raider, Crysis 2-3(especially 3) and Metro 2033 do, though, and make good use of it. Crysis 3 is not actually a great game or necessarily even a good one but the gameplay is just good enough to carry you through some absolutely ridiculous visuals. Easily the best looking game in existence right now, at least from a technical standpoint.

BF3 also has amazing graphics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

crowfeathers posted:

Metro 2033 is a shooter, but it really has survival horror vibes to it as well. Ammo's extremely limited and the excursions to the surface are nerve wracking.