Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
Oo, don't take it down. I wanna try when I get home. It could be I'm thinking of a different fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

forever gold posted:

You mean there are two of those weapons? I used one of them to take out the Brute.

Brutes are easy to kill because they're melee-only and extremely predictable, save the Blackstar for the Harvester.

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
But they're hard when you're dealing with quite a few other enemies at the same time.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo
To be fair, I had trouble with that mission on my first playthrough too.

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Bring Garrus and EDI. Use Incinerate on things, and then have Garrus or EDI use Chain Overload. If you're on a cooldown, snipe a cannibal. Repeat until all enemies are dead.

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

forever gold posted:

But they're hard when you're dealing with quite a few other enemies at the same time.

I'm not in a position to try your save because I have the 360 version of the game. What level is your Infiltrator, and what is their build like? Also, who do you have in your shore party?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

forever gold posted:

Make sure you have teammates that can set off Tech Explosions, set yourself up with some Incendiary, Cryo, or Disruptor Ammo, shoot things and let your squad detonate explosions.

Squee
Jun 15, 2003
<3
Is any of the DLC worth buying? I finally broke down and bought it on amazon for :10bux:, but each DLC costs as much as I paid for the full game.
I avoid the dumb over powered weapons when you start the game types of DLC when I can, so I am not bothering with those at least.

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Chilly McFreeze posted:

Bring Garrus and EDI. Use Incinerate on things, and then have Garrus or EDI use Chain Overload. If you're on a cooldown, snipe a cannibal. Repeat until all enemies are dead.

My Garrus died at the end of ME2. I have Liara and James Vega on this mission. They keep easily getting killed. If I attempt to take out the Brute without the special weapon, James and Liara die. Also I wonder if James is the gay love interest.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

forever gold posted:

My Garrus died at the end of ME2. I have Liara and James Vega on this mission. They keep easily getting killed. If I attempt to take out the Brute without the special weapon, James and Liara die. Also I wonder if James is the gay love interest.

No Garrus? :( :( :( :( Everyone loves Garrus.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

forever gold posted:

Also I wonder if James is the gay love interest.

Youuuu take that back! :argh:

(I really thought that too for a good long while, less when he started relentlessly flirting with my FemShep - but yet he refused to actually put out. Goddamn cocktease.)

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

forever gold posted:

You may want to load the "Restart Mission" save and bring EDI with you. Having her to detonate fire explosions should make your life a lot easier, plus Overload will also take out Marauders' shields and stun Cannibals.

Vega's Carnage is another way to detonate fire explosions, but IIRC he probably won't be able to spam it as often.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

forever gold posted:

Garrus is dead? You monster. Your two squadmates don't really synergize with you or each other. Liara is squishy as poo poo but Vega should be a bit tougher. You want combos combos combos so bring 2 adepts who can blow poo poo up together while you cloak and run around or people who can set up/detonate tech combos.

edit: also what guns are you using?

2nd edit: VVV Jesus no wonder :stare:

SubponticatePoster fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Apr 18, 2013

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Haha, I played through this and I can see why you're having so much trouble - Mantis and Avenger are not a good gun combo to have with this build. It took me about 4 minutes to clear this, and while I didn't take a good look at your build I can see why this seemed impossible to pass.

Here's what I did: as soon as you see the Brute, throw an Incinerate on him and Carnage with James to detonate a Fire Explosion. Then Warp with Liara and toss a couple of James' Frag grenades at him, that should finish him off. If not, shoot him a bunch with the Avenger.

From there on out just grab the Blackstar and use Incinerate + Carnage to get rid of mooks as you advance to the upper part where the Harvester appears. Cloak, shoot, done.

Here's the save if you don't want to bother:
http://depositfiles.com/files/dymux6fun

Everybody having problems with the difficulty of this game should really play a multiplayer for a couple days, because even Insanity is a breeze compared to Gold or Platinum. You learn good habits like being able to move efficiently while avoiding damage/not getting flanked, hopefully you learn about tech combos, and most importantly you learn how to play without hitting the pause menu when poo poo gets hairy.

edit: LOL okay I think a big problem here is not understanding the mechanics of the game.

You have all the default weapons equipped. All of them. Weapons all have weight, and weight affects your power cooldown times.

Equip 2 weapons, a GOOD sniper rifle and an SMG to strip shields.

I really have no opinion on the powers builds, though I'm of the mind that you should focus on maxing out powers that can create combos for you FIRST instead of trying to put a few points everywhere.

1st AD fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 18, 2013

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!

1st AD posted:

Everybody having problems with the difficulty of this game should really play a multiplayer for a couple days, because even Insanity is a breeze compared to Gold or Platinum. You learn good habits like being able to move efficiently while avoiding damage/not getting flanked, hopefully you learn about tech combos, and most importantly you learn how to play without hitting the pause menu when poo poo gets hairy.

this should be in the OP. Insanity difficulty seems like childsplay even after a few rounds of Silver.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Qwezz posted:

this should be in the OP. Insanity difficulty seems like childsplay even after a few rounds of Silver.

While Normal and Easy feel like some kind of vague dream you had in which you don't totally remember it, but you're pretty sure it was about playing video games.

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
1st AD, thanks for the breakdown. Honestly, I don't often pay that much attention to those sort of things these days. I automated the skill points distribution. Where DO you find better weapons? I've just been picking up whatever came my way here and there.

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

Ainsley McTree posted:

While Normal and Easy feel like some kind of vague dream you had in which you don't totally remember it, but you're pretty sure it was about playing video games.

In narrative, Mass Effect 3 becomes Metal Gear Solid 4-lite.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

forever gold posted:

1st AD, thanks for the breakdown. Honestly, I don't often pay that much attention to those sort of things these days. I automated the skill points distribution. Where DO you find better weapons? I've just been picking up whatever came my way here and there.

I think that if you don't want to think about these things, you really shouldn't be playing on hardcore.

I'm not trying to be mean or something, but the game is just going to get harder and harder. If you are having trouble fighting a single brute, wait until you get to London.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Apr 18, 2013

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

forever gold posted:

That's pretty much all there is to it. Any weapon you miss (with two, maybe three exceptions) will end up in the shops for sale after the mission you miss it in, so check them semi-regularly for anything new. You only have to visit them once on the citadel for them to show up in the armory console in the basement (you know, of your ship) where you can just check them all in one convenient spot.

There's also some pretty solid weapons available in the DLC packs, which are worth buying if you have money to burn.

Fangz posted:

I think that if you don't want to think about these things, you really shouldn't be playing on hardcore.

I'm not trying to be mean or something, but the game is just going to get harder and harder.

Yeah, the whole point of the harder difficulties is that you need to pay attention to things like powers, combos, and squad make-up to get through the missions. If you just wanna roll around with whatever and just have fun, normal and casual might be more satisfying (personally that's how I play).

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

I think Flare is the most broken power in the game. Warp + Flare is not only powerful, but it also has a wide radius. Just about the only thing Warp + Flare won't kill in one biotic explosion is a Banshee.

Playing through the game a second time, it's pretty funny when the game tries to build up tension, or tries to imply the fight is going to be hard.
"My god they're everywhere!"
*everything is dead in 5 seconds*
"Close one."

Crows Turn Off fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 18, 2013

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

I won't repeat what the other guys have said (it was all true though), but I'll add that if you're gonna carry around all those weapons (don't), you should definitely remember to be using them. Same thing with your medigel. Also you should know that your teammates' attack power is stronger when you direct them to attack a certain target (Q and E). It took a couple tries, but I was able to do it, so I'm sure you will too if you try a few more times. The thing you wanna do for that fight is order your squad to cover and hang in the furthest back cover until the enemies quit spawning. Just take them all out from there. Then you can move forward to take out the harvester.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

The only way SP is harder than MP is that you can't be revived nor do you have those instant-heal packs. I tend to play really reckless and it always ends up biting me.

Duck and burger
Jul 21, 2006
Never a greater duo

forever gold posted:

Yeah, your loadout is ridiculous. I don't know how you're even having fun when your cooldowns are a million years long. You're not trying/able to do the things an infiltrator is supposed to do, namely not be seen and kill in one shot. With the game picking skills for you, you also have lovely versions of everything instead of a couple really powerful and game changing tools. Not sure why you would play hardcore if your approach is the opposite; also not sure why you would play a game if you didn't want to figure out how to be good at it. I guarantee you it's a lot more fun when you're in command of it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

forever gold posted:

My Garrus died at the end of ME2.

I... I don't understand? Mass Effect.... WITHOUT Garrus? No no no, nothing about this adds up at all.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.
Does difficulty in ME2 affect anything in ME3, or anything in ME2 other than the obvious how hard things are? I want to get back to ME3 quickly.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Elysiume posted:

Does difficulty in ME2 affect anything in ME3, or anything in ME2 other than the obvious how hard things are? I want to get back to ME3 quickly.

Nash, the only thing is an extra weapon on Haestrom if you play through it on Hardcore or Insanity.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

mastajake posted:

Nash, the only thing is an extra weapon on Haestrom if you play through it on Hardcore or Insanity.
Already have that one! Scrubmode away! :toot:

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Duck and burger posted:

Yeah, your loadout is ridiculous. I don't know how you're even having fun when your cooldowns are a million years long. You're not trying/able to do the things an infiltrator is supposed to do, namely not be seen and kill in one shot. With the game picking skills for you, you also have lovely versions of everything instead of a couple really powerful and game changing tools. Not sure why you would play hardcore if your approach is the opposite; also not sure why you would play a game if you didn't want to figure out how to be good at it. I guarantee you it's a lot more fun when you're in command of it.

My heart and mind are owned by Starcraft 2, so I play other games half-assed.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

mastajake posted:

Which one is that? I've done an insanity ME2 run but don't remember anything special.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

SubponticatePoster posted:

Which one is that? I've done an insanity ME2 run but don't remember anything special.

It's the geth pulse rifle. It's kinda eh.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
Yeah, the only reason to get it is to give it to Legion for pure aesthetic value.

Guys, when is ME4 out? I want to play ME4. I want cool spaceships, awesome squad bros, a gently caress off space tank, a bunch of unopened relays to explore, and mercs and pirates to slaughter by the bucketload while ace synth tunes play and a sergeant somewhere tells me 'one more stunt like that and it's your badge' every couple of hours.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Sentinel Red posted:

Yeah, the only reason to get it is to give it to Legion for pure aesthetic value.

Guys, when is ME4 out? I want to play ME4. I want cool spaceships, awesome squad bros, a gently caress off space tank, a bunch of unopened relays to explore, and mercs and pirates to slaughter by the bucketload while ace synth tunes play and a sergeant somewhere tells me 'one more stunt like that and it's your badge' every couple of hours.

No no no no no, don't call it ME4!!!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

A reminder to anyone playing ME1, especially on a challenging difficulty:

Save every loving chance you get. Good lord, I forgot how worthless the autosaves in ME1 were. I sure enjoyed having to redo a large part of Feros!

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Success! Turian platoon mission complete.

That was fun you guys.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

How did you end up doing it?

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
By applying a few game mechanics I was completely glossing over -- equip less weapons for faster ability recharge times and use power combinations. Also I brought Edi. I was able to take out the Brute in almost an instant.

mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Ineffiable posted:

Save every loving chance you get. Good lord, I forgot how worthless the autosaves in ME1 were. I sure enjoyed having to redo a large part of Feros!

gently caress the lava pit on Therum off to the side of the road that hardly looks like one. Which autokills you if you drive over it.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

forever gold posted:

By applying a few game mechanics I was completely glossing over -- equip less weapons for faster ability recharge times and use power combinations. Also I brought Edi. I was able to take out the Brute in almost an instant.

No matter anything else, EDI is one of the, if not the most, powerful teammate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

Ineffiable posted:

I just relearned that lesson after getting too excited on Eden Prime and having to redo almost the whole drat planet again. It's not that long, but I hate losing big chunks of progress.

So then I turned it down to Easy. :c00lbert:

• Locked thread