Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Armanky
Feb 15, 2013

"Kissing is sex."
-George Costanza
Wait a minute I looked really closely and you won't believe what I found!

Looks like Togami's still watching over us all. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
No, okay, the real danger from Nagito is him talking to anyone who's frantic or, well, despairing. I'm almost completely willing to bet that the next murder or two will involve a little nudge from Nagito, maybe nothing as overt as his blackout knife plan, perhaps just the right words at the right time to send someone spiraling down into a mindset where murder seems like the only option. So, obviously, the best plan would be not necessarily to restrict Nagito's movements, but to make an accord among everyone to not talk to Nagito. To just completely shun him. This will not happen, though, because they'll think, because they know he's crazy now, that if they can just keep him away from sharp objects, he's mostly harmless. Dude's crazy, but also obviously very smart (he'd have to be, to concoct the blackout plan).
I really love how assertive Hinata is. Such a great improvement over wishy-washy Naegi. GO AHEAD AND PUNCH HIM. :black101:

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kerrrrrrr posted:

You got a stiiiiick!

Everything Gundam does and says just makes me like him more, I'm glad he's stepping up and contributing to conversations now. Or maybe I just love his voice that much. :syoon: Who is his voice actor?

Tomokazu Sugita. If you want to hear him in other stuff, he's the lead in Gintama and he's Joseph Joestar in the new JoJo's Bizarre Adventure adaptation.

And he rules. :allears:

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Apr 19, 2013

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

TheKingofSprings posted:

Tomokazu Sugita. If you want to hear him in other stuff, he's the lead in Gintama and he's Joseph Joestar in the new JoJo's Bizarre Adventure adaptation.

And he rules. :allears:

He also voices a giant robot (a gundam, you may say only not) in the brand new Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet

Note: I have no idea if this show is any good, or godawful.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

Armanky posted:

Hey how about this

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Alright, is chapter one over? Yes it is! That means I can finally open up another Fanart Archive.

This post contains all fanart depicting spoilers for events up to the end of Chapter 1 (and DRZero chapters posted during Chapter 1).

For reasons I'm sure you can understand, "spoilers" is interpreted very generously as being any link to specific events during the chapter.

evilspacehopper posted:

Akane really loves her "doughnuts" doesn't she?

HelloWinter posted:

My two choices are painfully obvious.

HelloWinter posted:

SaitoBatch posted:

Well, there's my face of my nightmares for the next two weeks. They really meant it when they said like a snake didn't they?

HelloWinter posted:

HangedManArcana posted:

That pic is great though. But... If you're offering, then sure! Just so long as it's still Gundam blushing and hiding behind his scarf. Thank you!
... and hamsters, right? Right?

Waffleman_ posted:

You know, seeing Monobear in that suit reminds me of another currently running LP...

The_White_Crane posted:

Togami For Class President 20XX.

melodicwaffle posted:

Two can play that game. :v:

OBJECTION! Why aren't any of you killing each other yet?!

sorry the colors are kind of flat

HelloWinter posted:

Man, I couldn't help it either. Gosh darn it.

tiistai posted:

I swear I'm not jumping on the bandwagon! I was just way too slow.

This is one of those pictures that I'm certain some Japanese guy has already drawn way better than I have.

HelloWinter posted:

IceBorg posted:

I don't think the game will pull a "yay we are all having fun! Friendship!" party and then don't invite the despair.

tiistai posted:

Here, have a silly cover song. I can't into DAWs, so my mixing skills are non-existent, but I guess it turned out better than I expected anyway.

https://soundcloud.com/tiistai/box-25

HelloWinter posted:

Monobear is such a nice bear!

The Dark Id posted:

Stretching Monobear, huh?

Suzuki Method posted:

Monobear's final form-!

tiistai posted:

A swell idea

The joke doesn't make much sense, but worry not. I'll learn humor after I'm done learning art.

Nanomashoes posted:

Apologies to tiistai.

doomfunk posted:

I really hope something like this comes to light during the trial's comic assembly phase:

The joke came to me while I was wrapping up a couple of things for my finals and I had to spend a few minutes sketching it out.

HelloWinter posted:

:allears:

Here, I created an avatar-friendly version.

HelloWinter posted:

How can you not be interested by the exciting developments between Matsuda-kun and Ryouko-san!?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I was reminded of Junko's spinning eyes in her big breakdown from the last game, and it kinda lead to this...

Doctor Tess posted:

Yeah I definitely think they missed a big opportunity for a sick rave party here.

simpleruser posted:

Ah, this was a good update. There was always something off about him but it's nice to see him snap finally.

I thought I might drop a quick picture I did of him here?

Radian Angle posted:

I made a Junko in Ninth Seal.

Jamasan posted:

A tad late, but after update 31 felt the need to draw this:

No text:

Abundant Atrophy posted:

Well, originally I was just going to post a :effort: comic I drew, which in short was why Hanamura is the culprit based on the prevailing theory.
But since it's big, ugly, unfunny, and terrible (and technically wrong, reread the update post-drawing) So, I'll just link it.

Noumena posted:

I'm not an artist but I thought I'd drag out Baby's First Tablet to scribble some fanart for this thread.

First up . . . I'm no Ibuki fan, but I feel a little sorry for her having to stand next to Nagito. That's gotta be uncomfortable during his little reveal.

Next, Nagito is quickly becoming my favorite character.

"Aw shucks guys I'm nothin special, just your friendly resident psychopath."

Aristide posted:

I'm no SHSL baker but she turned out quite cute, in my humble opinion. The idea was from a Valentine's Day picture that I never got around to finishing.

BottledBacon posted:

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you...

Hanamura's execution

theonlypie314SA posted:

I liked that Owari not only had more to say in this update, but it was actually helpful. I'm starting to like her a little more and hoping to see more of her in the future.

So here is a sketch of her:

larger version

CaptainFish posted:

Not sure how it's possible to think of anything else during this exchange...

So, Hinata-kun! How about a little one-on-one with me?!

O...One-on-one...? Is he... enjoying this...? Is this a game to him?

poo poo! I can't lose to someone like him!

dragonsroar posted:

Here's a quick and messy paint of Ibuki I did today for practice... She's been so funny in the recent trials that I had to draw her.

HelloWinter posted:

LateToTheParty posted:

Hey I know Dangan Ronpa is anime as gently caress but I still can't get over the fact that Kirigiri senior looks like a teenage boy despite the fact that he is probably is in his late-thirties or early forties. Come on Dangan Ronpa Zero artist I know that you can only draw anime high schoolers but can you at least give the guy some facial hair so he actually looks like a fatherly figure.

This was the rejected version. He posted it in his twitter a few months back.

Prison Warden posted:

Until someone with actual artistic talent comes along, you'll have to make do with this piece of poo poo

HelloWinter posted:

Spatula City posted:

aaaaaaagh. Oh god, I think I can guess what Monobear's going to do to Hanamura. He's going to roast him and then eat him. :gonk:

Well, it's official.

Kringlorr posted:

'Nuh uh' is her new 'I disagree'.

Radian Angle posted:

Speculation: He's going to be turned into a CD of this:

kidcoelacanth posted:

Pester posted:

The murdergoblin template looks awesome using a tablecloth for a cape, and with a bone skewer. Nobody has ever looked that awesome wearing a sheet, and I just tried it. Can someone please draw what Hanamura would look like wearing the same thing? I somehow doubt he could pull if off without that murdergoblin figure.
Okay.

Radian Angle posted:

BigDB posted:

Amazing picture and now we need an edit of this after he commits the murder covered in blood
Would this be good enough for our art critic overlords?

likecnsnnts posted:

fool_of_sound posted:

What's this red stuff? Everyone knows that Dangan Ronpa blood is Hot Topic pink :colbert:.
You people. (My favorite touch is his tiny hat on the side of his head.)

Radian Angle posted:

MiyokoBlade posted:

This is just a suggestion...but maybe we can make it shuffle back and forth? I think that would be quite hilarious. Sorry, but trying to see Hanamura-san trying to walk gracefully doesn't really fit. I see him doing more of a shuffle.
Exit stage left.

via Imgflip GIF Generator

Kringlorr posted:

imma get that torgami

Mercury Hat posted:

Jeez, Hanamura's lucky nobody saw him in this get-up.

TheWorstSwordsman posted:

I still can't help but feel this...

orenronen posted:

Avri'lavin!

"Avril Lavigne"!

...Could have been foreshadowing the greatest plot twist of all...

Alas, it never came to be.

LordHippoman posted:

Fan art incoming!

I made Fat Togami on Scribblenauts Unlimited. Let us never forget his noble sacrifice.

LordHippoman posted:

I have bad news about Scribblenauts Fat Togami.

R.I.P.

ElTipejoLoco posted:

Fanart inspired by two separate pieces of fanart (one of which inspired a color edit as well as a silly animation).

LordHippoman posted:

First batch of Super High School Level Scribblenauts is done!

The hair is a little off, but eh.

I liked his stylish hat from the concept art.

It's our favorite mechanic! Easy enough, I took the Gymnast model and adapted the leotard into a jumpsuit.

LordHippoman posted:

Alright, this one took some work.

I used the teddy bear model as a base, but Scribblenauts doesn't let you do half n' half coloring. So I used small circles to fill in the other side of Monobear, using overlaps and different circles (There's also a triangle in there.) dyed them all black, and used the prism shape to make his red eye.

I changed the reactions so that when interacted with, Monobear will explode. In this state characters in the game will treat Monobear as a Nuke, running away in terror of our fluffy overlord. I also made it so you can pick him up and toss him like a grenade.

But ScribbleMonobear is now ready to wreak havoc in yet another video game.

E: Forgot to mention how much I love the Scribblenauts Disguised Hanamura riding Yoshi.

imma get that togami

LordHippoman posted:

Time for some more Super High School Level Scribblenauts! Second batch is coming out.

Mikan was supposed to be programmed to freak out whenever she bumped into an object, but I hosed it up and now she just freaks out permanently. I feel like that's a little more fitting.

I don't like this one much, but then again I don't like this character either. The problem was the hair, I couldn't find a good pigtails model (Scribblenauts doesn't let you insert hair, you have to find a preexisting head and use that), so I went with the Geisha one. Since she's a classical dancer, I thought that was at least a little fitting. She's also programmed to murder all animals.

I really like Sonia, so I wanted to do her justice. Her brooch thing is actually a merging of two different objects I colored separately. She hasn't been shown to have any quirky habits so far, so I didn't really work with the programming for this one. She behaves the same as a normal "Princess" object would.

Fedule fucked around with this message at 09:59 on Sep 23, 2013

Pittsburgh Lambic
Feb 16, 2011
I was listening to cool music from another cool LP, and noticed something in the "What's popular right now" listing on tindeck. It wasn't homestuck or ponies; it was a picture of Naegi.

What the gently caress is this poo poo.

Kringlorr
Oct 8, 2012

Why are you doing that?

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

I was listening to cool music from another cool LP, and noticed something in the "What's popular right now" listing on tindeck. It wasn't homestuck or ponies; it was a picture of Naegi.

That's a pretty spot-on dub though, the voice is just whiny and nasally enough to be a dead-ringer for Naegi.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

Kringlorr posted:

That's a pretty spot-on dub though, the voice is just whiny and nasally enough to be a dead-ringer for Naegi.

The voice itself is alright but his delivery sounds like someone reading a bedtime story

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Homestuck tumblr people use Tindeck to host their lovely voice acting for their tumblr role plays or whatever; guess someone has started a Dangan Ronpa lovely role play group.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

Suzuki Method posted:

Homestuck tumblr people use Tindeck to host their lovely voice acting for their tumblr role plays or whatever; guess someone has started a Dangan Ronpa lovely role play group.

With the anime coming out it might actually be a full on fandub.

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
If you look at the rest of them you'll notice two Kirigiri voice clips as well.

Dangan Ronpa Dead End(?) is picking up steam I guess.

Radian Angle
Oct 29, 2012

Calico Heart posted:

Hope and despair blending together, huh...

NAGITO IS JUNKO AND NAEGI'S SON. :aaaaa:

/tinfoil hat

She raped him before erasing his memory and had her forgetful successor (who she's prepping in DR0 by removing the last thing that ties her to the world) carry the child.
Junko is going to be the ever present jigsaw of the series (who in turn is Junko's father, she didn't die as a child but was kidnapped by a japanese child napping gang, her sister was adopted).

Torino
Mar 6, 2013

If I could find a way to put my own soul into a computer, that would surely create a true “strong AI”...

getitoffgetitoff posted:

The voice itself is alright but his delivery sounds like someone reading a bedtime story

The voice sounds like a lanky guy who has to pause now and then to use his inhaler and can't wait to show you his stamp collection and share theories about why 9-11 was an inside job to me.
I'm not sure why they thought it was suitable, as Naegi's original voice is very soft and more childish. But I think we already discussed a lot about fan voice acting in the DR1 thread.

HangedManArcana
Dec 12, 2012

...T...Thank you.

Suzuki Method posted:

Actually:
That's just a simple example of the person's voice acting capabilities. I'm on tumblr (and yes I admit there's a LOT of people on there that are just.... WHY), and I actually follow this guy. He's just a voice actor.

getitoffgetitoff posted:

Yeah, VA got this same critique on tumblr.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Radian Angle posted:

She raped him before erasing his memory and had her forgetful successor (who she's prepping in DR0 by removing the last thing that ties her to the world) carry the child.
Junko is going to be the ever present jigsaw of the series (who in turn is Junko's father, she didn't die as a child but was kidnapped by a japanese child napping gang, her sister was adopted).

Are you aware of the Frequent Occurrences of Mass Naked Child Events within the Academy Kibougamine Peak?

Seriously hough, the only flaw in your brilliant and no doubt certain deduction is Junko and Mukuro's resemblence because of their blood relation was a plot point in DR. Are we to beleive that one or the other got plastic surgery? Get real here.

Rohan Kishibe fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Apr 19, 2013

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Calico Heart posted:

Hope and despair blending together, huh...

NAGITO IS JUNKO AND NAEGI'S SON. :aaaaa:

/tinfoil hat

Even though this would be stupid and impossible to actually happen in the story, that seriously is what he looks like.

On the subject if Hinata's weird eyes though, the first thing I thought of was how the same symbol appears on Junko's tie.

kvltmanifesto
Oct 10, 2012

I believe the symbol on Hinata's eyes is just a reference to his pokeball ancestry.

Jeek
Feb 15, 2012
Upon looking at the below picture, it seems that Gundam's hands are flipped (the thumbs should be on the outside), or is it just me being :downs:?

Suzuki Method
Mar 12, 2012

Well, it was funny when I thought of it on the crapper. (sorry it looks like it came from the crapper)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

HangedManArcana posted:

Actually:
That's just a simple example of the person's voice acting capabilities. I'm on tumblr (and yes I admit there's a LOT of people on there that are just.... WHY), and I actually follow this guy. He's just a voice actor.

Yeah, VA got this same critique on tumblr.

There's an entire thread for people who have tumblrs on SA. There are weird-rear end people on tumblr, just like there are weird-rear end people everywhere on the internet and even here, but there's nothing inherently bad about having one.

Radian Angle posted:

There's plenty inherently bad about this though. :wtc:

So I'm curious about something, Orenronen, and I apologize if this has been already asked before in the thread. Having played through both the first and second games, which voice cast would you say you prefer overall between the two? And if you can answer without it going into spoiler territory, any reasons?

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Apr 19, 2013

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I'm pleasantly surprised with this chapter. It seems like the writer(s) decided to see how they could mess with people who had played DR1 and thought they knew how things would go, while at the same time stepping up the quality of the visuals and mini-games. They did pretty well, I think.

Radian Angle posted:

What the gently caress is wrong with you?

:getout:

Torino
Mar 6, 2013

If I could find a way to put my own soul into a computer, that would surely create a true “strong AI”...

Suzuki Method posted:

Well, it was funny when I thought of it on the crapper. (sorry it looks like it came from the crapper)

This is the first time I've seen a picture where the anime hair looked less ridiculous than the real hair.

I can only imagine a sample tracklist for this.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

I think the big NO symbol in Hinata's eyes is just an art quirk, it's not the first time the artist has done some weird eye poo poo (celes and ishimaru's red eyes, coach's thunder eyes).

Radian Angle posted:

I wonder what the record on probations in one thread is?

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Patware posted:

I wonder what the record on probations in one thread is?

Much more than it needs to be and will probably continue growing as the LP goes on.

Anyway, Hanamura dying was a bit sad but Nagito being Nagito pushed those feelings out quickly because, holy hell, he's quite irritating. It's his face and his words working together to make the most horrible person to be around and I'm surprised Hinata didn't go for the punch himself.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Prison Warden posted:

Are you aware of the Frequent Occurrences of Mass Naked Child Events within the Academy Kibougamine Peak?

Seriously hough, the only flaw in your brilliant and no doubt certain deduction is Junko and Mukuro's resemblence because of their blood relation was a plot point in DR. Are we to beleive that one or the other got plastic surgery? Get real here.

I'd assumed the guy was joking. I mean, it was in terrible taste and it wasn't carried out very well, but I figured he was trying to continue on with the "Hey guys WACKY THEORY" poo poo he was quoting.

Rape is not very wacky though.

In other news, jeez, that fanart collection is huge and we've only just gotten past the first trial. Any idea if we're going to try and save a portion of them for the archive later, if there is one?

Frostyyy
Feb 24, 2012

You're going to die.
Was there ever a follow-up to Monobear's appearance at the end of that Sony conference a while back? I figured it was a hint they were announcing something soon but I think it's been too long for that by now.

Fedule posted:

Alright, is chapter one over? Yes it is! That means I can finally open up another Fanart Archive.

This post contains all fanart depicting spoilers for events up to the end of Chapter 1 (and DRZero chapters posted during Chapter 1).

All this fanart is great :allears:
I really need to work on my art skills, I badly want to contribute in the future.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Fedule's Riveting Editorial Anecdotes
Chapter One Omnibus Edition

Since we're safely between chapters, I've got a small window in which I can talk about some of the Thing of Actual Interest from the last chapter without distracting you from the anticipation/speculation/discussion/reactions relating to the various matters at hand.

From the top!

quote:

Rule no. 6
During the school trial, students will attempt to identify the culprit. If the culprit is successfully identified, they shall be executed for their crime.

Do you know when to use "will" and when to use "shall"? It turns out there are rules! Also there kinda aren't. Surprise - the English language once again proves spectacularly fickle. Traditionally (at least in British English) you use "shall" for first person and "will" for second, except when you're being super serious in which case you swap them for some reason - but in practice they're used interchangeably. However! In (British, and, I assume, other English speaking) legalese, "will" refers to definite givens while "shall" refers to contingencies. I don't even know why it even occurred to me to question the wording of these rules, but hey.

quote:

Good morning, you bastards! Its another perfect tropical day!
Let's enjoy it for all its worth!

A little liberty was taken here. The first draft of this finished with "Let's work hard in high spirits today too!". I couldn't really think of a way to include the "work" part of that while also keeping the line short and snappy, and since this is a line we're going to see over and over and over...

Also quoted: The ultimate ambiguous its/it's use. You can read it as "for all the worth of the day" (so "its", the pronoun in possessive case), or "for all the day is worth" (so "it's", the verb "to be" in singular neutral present tense). I flipped a coin.

quote:

BULLETS CANNOT PIERCE SPIRIT!
A keen observation, and well put... But let me offer some... advice... spirited one.

That one Nidai line sure went over well! Here's an amusing fact, though: I originally read Gundam's response completely wrong from the first draft. He's supposed to be in favour of Nidai's style, if not his, er, volume, but I read him as being irritated, sarcastic and condescending (well, more condescending than usual).

Yes, yes, a very moving speech, but... Here is a morsel of wisdom for you to chew on, spirited one...

I liked it... but it was completely wrong.

quote:

When you actually get to try my food, you will be astounded!
It won't just be your jaw that drops!
Your underpants are gonna fall off too!

For every odd little idiom or pun that requires actual work to render intelligible in English, there's one like this - originally "it tastes so good my cheeks fell off", from which Hanamura flawlessly segues into being creepy about Pekoyama's underwear - that somehow manages to fit perfectly into the translation with only a tiny alteration. Those are nice.

quote:

I mean, we're not alone. We're friends... no, more than that... Were comrades! Were all in this together!

This was originally "nakama", which is one of those words you'll know if you pick up Japanese from anime. It shames me to tell you that I spent five entire seconds considering leaving it in.

quote:

This bit actually wasn't nearly as hard as I feared it would be. At least, not this time. Just keep that in mind for now.

quote:

Monobears really let the cat out of the frying pan and into the fire, hasnt he?

This line marked the first occurrence of the word "untranslatable" in a note from Oren (and a new record for length of explanatory notes generally, at a few paragraphs). As I recall, Sonia used some idiom meaning something like "caused a big fuss" and Hanamura questioned her use of kanji because apparently what she said can be written slightly differently to change its meaning to something dirty... which... er... well, I kinda lost track of it at that point but I think you can see the problem here. A possibility we looked into was Sonia using a complicated (and misspelled) word, but not only could we not find anything that didn't sound ridiculous, spelling errors don't offer nearly the room for reinterpretation as swapping around kanji. So instead I just sat staring at the line for something like twenty four consecutive hours before coming up with a phenomenal mixed metaphor somehow and rewriting the exchange around that.

quote:

Were having a breakfast meeting, so well be greeting and eating, right?
So Ibukis gonna save time by turning eating into a greeting so we can greet while we eat! Isnt that neat!?

In Japanese, Ibuki just crams "itadakimasu" (think "bon apetit") into "ohayo" ("good morning") to form "ohaitadakimasuyo". I think I'm better at this than she is. :colbert:

quote:

Fan-tasmagoria: A folding fan passed around since the Heian period. It is told any person holding it can communicate with spirits.

Originally an incredible pun based on some kanji that, when strung together, can be pronounced "shikushu sensu" (ie, "Sixth Sense"), this "translated" name is actually an Oren contribution (as ever, I was off in a corner overthinking it). I vow to one day come up with a present name that is more perfect than "Necroissant". You hear me?!

quote:

...Duralumin cases?

If you ever see the word "case" (referring to these) on its own in the dialogue, know that it was originally another repetition of "duralumin case" in full. I ended up fighting a losing battle to cut down on the throwing around of "duralumin" and get it back below the threshold where the word starts to lose all meaning. Can't win 'em all!

quote:

HelloWinter edits too! This room was originally called "Warehouse", which isn't right at all. I guess maybe, but come on. There's a line.

quote:

Ha ha... Ibukis gonna write a song about this! Itll be called One More Lonely Girl!

I can't help but wonder if the reason no one commented on this is because no one wants to admit that they got the reference? Well, let me put your minds at ease - you're not going to look much worse than I am, considering I'm now owning up to making this reference in the first place.

Originally, this was a reference to a song called "Lonely Girl" by some pop group or something that's slightly popular (apparently), and Oren asked if I could think of an analogue in English. Well, I thought of one alright. It's Justin Bieber. God help me.

quote:

Come, you bastards, the game is afoot!

Holy gently caress. This little exchange warranted an entire Google Doc full of explanatory notes. Monobear starts off with a reference to a catchphrase from Kindaichi Case Files (hence the translated version referencing Sherlock Holmes) and proceeds to repeat it over and over again with slight changes to the wording that completely change the meaning of the phrase and confuse the hell out of Monomi.

Here's a rejected version of this scene.

Come, Monomi! The game is afoot!
Huh? A game of football?
Togami's caput!
Huh? Did he die playing sports?
To who is it put?
To who is what put? The ball?
The bl-- ah, who cares. This routine's going nowhere.

I'm ever so proud of the flawless maintenance of both the meter and the "t- __ is __ -ut" structure in addition to it actually being a coherent exchange. Someone had better appreciate this thing, goddamnit!

The version we went with is more faithful to Monomi's increasingly confused reactions but reads as much more of a non-sequitur. I really, really suck at writing good non-sequiturs.

quote:

Every great detective knows you cant have a proper investigation without lots of legwork!

In the first draft, this line read "A great man once said, 'one must use one's legs during an investigation'." Oren noted that he thought it sounded like a reference but couldn't trace it to anything, and suggested it might have been something originally written in English. Ever diligent, took I to Google with some imagination and a lot of patience and found this quote from The Widow Lerouge, a 1866 mystery novel by mile Gaboriau (considered a pioneer of modern detective fiction): "When one has no brains, one must use ones legs." - a remark upon a character having to follow a cab on foot since they failed to ascertain its destination in advance. So... either Ibuki "ohaitadakimasuyo" Mioda is appropriately (though incorrectly) referencing a 19th century detective novel or... it's a coincidence.

I miss Kirigiri.

quote:

I TOL' YA T' WAI MINUTE!

YIDIOTSVE NO DEA WHAYA TALK NABOUT! ISIN THALL THOLE TIME DURN BLACKOUT!!

Good god. This was a lot of "fun" to do. All I had to go on was that this was supposed to be Hanamura's epic breakdown in which he falls back from his (fake) sophisticated city manner and back to some sort of extremely heavy middle-of-nowhere-country accent. And so I broke out the apostrophes.

As you probably noticed, the breakdown happens in stages. First, he's heavily accented, but still intelligible.

quote:

YSTAINSCOVAWTHAMDWEPNS!!

He seems to be saying you still haven't discovered what the murder weapon was!

Then he gets so thick that Monomi has to translate, but if you compare his lines with Monomi's "translation" you can just about see where she's coming from.

quote:

UNCRTULODFUMPKNSSKURDKOPTHOLMEUTHSSKUT!!

"Uncultured bumpkins should keep their mouths shut!"... is what he seems to be saying.

And finally he reaches almost pure gibberish that barely, if at all, even remotely resembles Monomi's translations.

quote:

OVLYENJUCHSKTTHBUNGP!!

I have no idea what this line was originally or if it was anything other than a random burst of syllables, Monomi doesn't provide a translation, and Oren didn't even attempt to transcribe it, so I went with "All of you shut the gently caress up!" (in case you were wondering).

And finally...

quote:

We must find our resolve.

This line (and more or less every other line from here to the end of the update) was all about "ganbaru", which kinda does and kinda doesn't actually have a consistent English translation.

It would be Sonia, wouldn't it?

See you next chapter, I guess!

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I like the "Togami's caput" version better (by a wide margin) than the canon one, for whatever it's worth.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Lord's work, Fedule! When I got to the part with Sonia's mixed-up sayings in my initial read, I remember thinking "Man, I bet that was a bitch to translate". She must be a tricky character.

But, if I understand right, Sakura was kind of difficult too, with the close equivalent to how she spoke involving lots of "thou" and "thee's" - please correct me if I'm wrong though.

NextTime000
Feb 3, 2011

bweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
<----------------------------
I recall someone saying that Hanamura used random English words to sound more sophisticated, but I suppose that got lost in translation... I mean, he could have maybe used a few random French words maybe for us; it would kinda fit the chef/cook motif, but then again, I don't think it would fit the rest of his character design :shrug:

HangedManArcana
Dec 12, 2012

...T...Thank you.
Oh my loving god, all of those notes were amazing! Especially just how much effort it takes you guys. You all definately deserve all the praise possible for this!

SingerOfW
Feb 28, 2012

I shall admit my wickedness.

Calico Heart posted:

Lord's work, Fedule! When I got to the part with Sonia's mixed-up sayings in my initial read, I remember thinking "Man, I bet that was a bitch to translate". She must be a tricky character.

But, if I understand right, Sakura was kind of difficult too, with the close equivalent to how she spoke involving lots of "thou" and "thee's" - please correct me if I'm wrong though.
Fedule wasn't around to work on Oren's translations of the first game. He is, however, working on the patch, which is going to have all the text edited.

orenronen
Nov 7, 2008

NextTime000 posted:

I recall someone saying that Hanamura used random English words to sound more sophisticated, but I suppose that got lost in translation... I mean, he could have maybe used a few random French words maybe for us; it would kinda fit the chef/cook motif, but then again, I don't think it would fit the rest of his character design :shrug:

No, you're right - that would've worked great and I kinda regret that I thought about this (very obvious) idea when it was already too late to implement it.

HangedManArcana
Dec 12, 2012

...T...Thank you.

Calico Heart posted:

I think Oren said that, yeah. Listening to her, I think she uses old Samurai-like terms. "Degozaru" and the like.

tallest crocodile
Sep 10, 2011

How a TV show about Pre-historic life would reconstruct a goon.
Oh wow, I can't believe I finally caught up with a thread! Now I have to wait for updates like everyone else. :f5: I actually really like Nagito so far, or at least, I'm interested in him. Souda is my definite favorite though. Based on my luck in the first game that means he'll probably be the next to get offed.

Just so this isn't a completely contentless post, here's something I drew yesterday after finishing the first thread:

Joke's probably been made ten times over, but I'm not about to search through 700+ pages to find out.

(Thank you, orenronen and Fedule for your hard work! I would never have gotten into this game if not for you.)

zetsubous
Feb 19, 2013

Kytrarewn posted:

I like the "Togami's caput" version better (by a wide margin) than the canon one, for whatever it's worth.

I do too! It's very clever. (Although the word is "kaput." Yiddish loves its 'k's.)

Ganbaru is a tricky one, isn't it? When I'm saying "ganbatte" to people I usually just change it to "good luck," which seems like the closest analogue in English even though the spirit is completely different... but it's just so awkward in English to keep saying "do your best! do your best! let's do our best!"

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe
"Were having a breakfast meeting, so well be greeting and eating, right? So Ibukis gonna save time by turning eating into a greeting so we can greet while we eat! Isnt that neat!?"

Yes. It most certainly is neat. I'm really impressed with how you managed to translate from one language to another, completely foreign language and make the wordplay sound natural and funny on its own merits while keeping the spirit of the original. I'm particularly fond of this line, now that I think of it. I was kind of just reading it as an English text before, but now that I'm thinking of it as a work translated from Japanese I'm appreciating the talent it took to make the English read as well as it does. Jolly good show!

Sccountay
Oct 12, 2012

Fedule posted:

Do you know when to use "will" and when to use "shall"? It turns out there are rules! Also there kinda aren't. Surprise - the English language once again proves spectacularly fickle. Traditionally (at least in British English) you use "shall" for first person and "will" for second, except when you're being super serious in which case you swap them for some reason - but in practice they're used interchangeably. However! In (British, and, I assume, other English speaking) legalese, "will" refers to definite givens while "shall" refers to contingencies. I don't even know why it even occurred to me to question the wording of these rules, but hey.

So what you're saying is that someone's going to commit murder and then not get killed by Monobear because the rules specifically say it's just a possibility? Seems fitting since he's more of a dick this time around.
But jokes and interesting word trivia aside, does the distinction between those words exist in the Japanese text as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heliotrope
Aug 17, 2007

You're fucking subhuman

antonekens posted:

(And, not really seriously, but--what the hell Hope's Peak Academy? Do you even screen these students prior to admitting them to school to see whether or not they're kinda spooky or crazy? I mean sure, I've read research articles saying that insane folks have some qualities in common with some highly-successful people, and you certainly don't expect a talking bear to hold an entire class hostage, but Komaeda's a lot less reserved about it than Junko was!)

It's quite possible for people to hide their insanity and if there's nothing in their past to indicate they might be slighty off-kilter then Hope's Peak wouldn't really know. Besides, look at how everyone else acts - "odd behavior" is just kind of expected apparently. Nagito is only ridiculously obvious right now because his true self was revealed and he's no longer acting.

Armanky posted:

God bless Togami.

• Locked thread