Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Super Deuce posted:

Being obtuse is thinking that cheering for a criminal being apprehended or killed is a good thing.

People are cheering for the police for a job well done. Not at the suspects death. I am legitimately proud of my adopted city over the way it was handled and the lack of any other damage.

So yeah, I am cheering that a suspect was apprehended. loving tragedy there for you I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

إنه أصلع في الأسفل، كما تعلم

mcsquared posted:

To restate my question to avoid the definition tangent, is there any evidence that these were politically motivated? I guess that is what I am wondering, because that is what the word "terrorism" means to me, whether people are using it that way or not.

No, not yet, maybe wait a little bit as he's only been arrested like an hour ago?

mcsquared
Nov 19, 2005

ethanol posted:

Look dude, they knew what the bombs meant to Americans. They weren't psychos who just wanted to see what the reaction would be. It was indeed politically inspired, and we don't need to understand or validate the message to call it terrorism.

This is all I'm wondering - how do we know this? It seems like a pretty important thing to know if we're to accurately assess what the hell went on to cause this.

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

And who the gently caress doesn't cheer that this dude is apprehended? Go gently caress yourself please

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

cletepurcel posted:

Poor guy must have just been still running on pure adrenaline, kicked down so many doors that day it was basically automatic

That clip isn't from Boston, it's an old video.

sweet thursday
Sep 16, 2012

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Yeah cmon Boston, have the quiet grace and beauty of the undoubtedly fat masses of the internet

I lit a cigarillo and nodded my head knowingly

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

mcsquared posted:

To restate my question to avoid the definition tangent, is there any evidence that these were politically motivated? I guess that is what I am wondering, because that is what the word "terrorism" means to me, whether people are using it that way or not.

Then you need to come to terms with your definition of the word instead of trying to prove every one else in the thread wrong.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

anotherone posted:

His defense is definitely going to be something about how his brother forced him to do it. Might be something to it, honestly; but he'll still get 400 life sentences.

Even if his brother DID coerce him, the fact he didn't immediately surrender after possibly running his partially-deceased brother over shoots all kinds of holes in that reasoning.

Desperation and fear might account for a little but not that much.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

mcsquared posted:

This is all I'm wondering - how do we know this? It seems like a pretty important thing to know if we're to accurately assess what the hell went on to cause this.

Listen to any one interview with people who know the subjects.

Qwo
Sep 27, 2011

T. Finninho posted:

And who the gently caress doesn't cheer that this dude is apprehended? Go gently caress yourself please
Be civil, please.

mcsquared
Nov 19, 2005

T. Finninho posted:

No, not yet, maybe wait a little bit as he's only been arrested like an hour ago?

Why are y'all being so hostile to asking "do we know if there was a political motive to this?" I swear to christ I am just wondering if there are a bunch of forums accounts or some poo poo out there.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

T. Finninho posted:

Same guys who cheered when they thought Flash Gordon died, the fucks.

Tshirt Ninja
Jan 1, 2010
All I'm saying is that there are distinctions between the terms terrorism, mass murder, war, war crime and state terrorism based on the motives and nature of the people involved.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

anotherone posted:

His defense is definitely going to be something about how his brother forced him to do it. Might be something to it, honestly; but he'll still get 400 life sentences.

It won't matter. Even if it was 100% his brothers plan and he held a gun to his head the entire time (these are highly unlikely to be the case), he is still legally culpable because you cannot legally kill others to save your own life.

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

nm

Crackpipe fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 20, 2013

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

mcsquared posted:

This is way more relevant. I don't think we have any information yet besides the older brothers playlist. If I can do math right, the older brother was like 14 when he got to the states, so maybe coming at that age made him hate america more than his younger brother?

We won't know for sure until we get an investigation and they check computers/emails/browser history/etc

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Breaky posted:

People are cheering for the police for a job well done. Not at the suspects death. I am legitimately proud of my adopted city over the way it was handled and the lack of any other damage.

So yeah, I am cheering that a suspect was apprehended. loving tragedy there for you I guess.

It's about the worst thing you can do to be happy that the police did a job well done. Seriously, stop that. Think of how the criminal feels!! :v:

OMG BYZANTIUM
Dec 30, 2008

WastedJoker posted:

Even if his brother DID coerce him, the fact he didn't immediately surrender after possibly running his partially-deceased brother over shoots all kinds of holes in that reasoning.

Also, pretty sure that even if his brother threatened to kill him, you can't use coercion as a justification for killing other people. But yeah, we should probably wait to figure out what his defense will be until he actually gets out of the hospital.

Fuck This Puzzle
Mar 22, 2013

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes

ClemenSalad posted:

It won't matter. Even if it was 100% his brothers plan and he held a gun to his head the entire time (these are highly unlikely to be the case), he is still legally culpable because you cannot legally kill others to save your own life.

Yeah as someone already mentioned Nichols's defense was that McVeigh threatened to kill his family if he didn't aid McVeigh.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Crackpipe posted:

I'm not trying to crap on your hard work, but this exists.

Uhh I'm sorry but I don't see any Dunkin' Donuts in there.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I stopped following the thread around 3EST, did Petey ever go to sleep?

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

Qwo posted:

Be civil, please.

Haha I apologize, I'm quite happy this suspect was apprehended and I have no hesitation in being quite pleased about it

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Any new information on the other three that they arrested?

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Wait...you can't kill others to save your life but you can kill to save property? :psyduck:

Fuck This Puzzle
Mar 22, 2013

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes

T. Finninho posted:

Haha I apologize, I'm quite happy this suspect was apprehended and I have no hesitation in being quite pleased about it

T. Finn won't you please think of the man that killed an eight year old child and maimed dozens of others??

The Finn
Aug 27, 2004

mcsquared posted:

Why are y'all being so hostile to asking "do we know if there was a political motive to this?" I swear to christ I am just wondering if there are a bunch of forums accounts or some poo poo out there.

I'm being hostile because this poo poo literally just went down. You are demanding something that couldn't possibly be fully invesigated yet

mcsquared
Nov 19, 2005

KoRMaK posted:

This is way more relevant. I don't think we have any information yet besides the older brothers playlist. If I can do math right, the older brother was like 14 when he got to the states, so maybe coming at that age made him hate america more than his younger brother?

We won't know for sure until we get an investigation and they check computers/emails/browser history/etc

Thanks for the reply. It seems like it's almost going to be easier for the community to process if this is an explicitly political act for whatever agenda.

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

Inspector_71 posted:

Actually it's very true in terms of getting terrorists in custody to cooperate. Read The Black Banners.

The simple fact that they mirandized suspects and didn't immediately start beating them with pipes was practically enough to get some serious al-Qaeda guys to talk, even if just because it caught them so off guard.

I am in awe of this book and have tried to use it as an example to family and friends on how treating these people with respect gets you further than with torture.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

Sockser posted:

They gave Petey the boat, he's on his way to Bermuda now.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Sockser posted:

Yessir. :shobon:

Crackpipe
Jul 9, 2001

Knightmare posted:

Uhh I'm sorry but I don't see any Dunkin' Donuts in there.

Dunkin' Donuts is assumed to be everywhere in Boston Metro.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Bro Enlai posted:

Is something like this what you're looking for?

This is great. Just needs a few perimeter lobsters and maybe sergeants Feedback and Fury.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

WastedJoker posted:

Wait...you can't kill others to save your life but you can kill to save property? :psyduck:
If you mean your ability to kill people breaking into your house, isn't that just because you can't rule out the possibility that they intend to hurt/kill you?

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

mcsquared posted:

I don't know that he's being that harsh. There's just no way of knowing stuff like that yet! It'll come out soon enough I'm sure.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

mcsquared posted:

Thanks for the reply. It seems like it's almost going to be easier for the community to process if this is an explicitly political act for whatever agenda.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EhBAa0QwlYw

listen to the whole thing

OMG BYZANTIUM
Dec 30, 2008

WastedJoker posted:

There's a difference between someone threatening you to make you kill someone and you defending your own property against invasions, but this is really not the thread for that.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

gently caress This Puzzle posted:

T. Finn won't you please think of the man that killed an eight year old child and maimed dozens of others??

Those bully policeman hurt that poor kid. He just wanted to blow people up. This is a free country damnit.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Qwo posted:

Be civil, please.

Could you rephrase your request in the form of a dead child and multiple explosive devices?

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

WastedJoker posted:

The dudebro was not only smiling when he dropped a backpack full of gunpowder behind an 8-year old boy, but winked at one of his future victims when he did it.

That's not the reaction of someone who has been coerced into his actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

mcsquared posted:

Yeah the community should see a more nuanced view of the 2 chechen dudes who blew up an 8 year old boy with home made bombs.

• Locked thread