Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

ClemenSalad posted:

Hes an American citizen committing crimes on American soil apprehended by regular police. There was little to no chance of being considered a enemy combatant anyway.

Jose Padilla.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I think he'd end up pleading out anyway. A trial wouldn't go well.

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Muck and Mire posted:

Also, did reddit's gung-ho team of crack internet crowdsourced detectives actually accomplish anything here, beyond falsely naming those two other guys?

Everyone in the north east was trying to find Sunil for a few days since he was falsely accused. That's about it. So something positive through ignorance.

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

TOOT BOOT posted:

Isn't cardiac arrest basically = dead anyway? They probably just did the actual pronouncement at the hospital.

He was shot to pieces, his stupid boom boom belt went off, and to add insult to injury he was hit by his own brother's car. They tried a thoracotomy at the hospital (thanks to that disgusting picture), but he had absolutely no chance of survival.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Boywhiz88 posted:

I think he'd end up pleading out anyway. A trial wouldn't go well.

I wanna see a trial cause I want to see all the evidence the FBI has.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Fancy Corndog posted:

Yes and no. Yes in that they have managed to create for themselves a sense of false importance. No in that no.

They managed to get a callout to the internet by obama and then literally in the same sentence a reprimanding for false accusing and vigilantism

OMG BYZANTIUM
Dec 30, 2008
In some jurisdictions a person can't be charged with felony murder for a co-felon's death, so I don't know if he can be charged with murder for running over his brother, assuming that actually happened.

OMG BYZANTIUM fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 20, 2013

funkawilikus
Jul 23, 2007

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

So in terms of manhunts go, how quickly has this gone from "horrible event occurred" to "perp capture" in comparisons to other events? I know Timothy McVeigh was on the lam for about a month and only got caught because of an unrelated traffic stop, and then of course the Unibomber was at large for a really long period of time.

Do you suppose the advent of social media has created an environment where people who pull off atrocities like this can't escape so readily?

I thought Mcveigh got caught only a few days later? Could be wrong and Wikipedia is unclear. He was stopped for not having a license plate, though, which is definitely related to the fact that he was on the lam.

It does seem like it would be harder to be a terrorist in these days of social media and cameras everywhere--at least one who doesn't get caught--which is a good thing.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

octoroon posted:

Yeah. Of course it's important that we understand his motives, the forces that drove him to it, any potential circumstances or incapacities that influenced his thinking or behavior. But that's all mostly clinical, empathy is asking way too much. We're not Motherfucking Theresa or whatever.

In all seriousness, I don't think there's any real possibility that this person will ever see the outside of a secure facility again. Hopefully whatever information we learn from him can actually help us to avert crises like this in the future. That would be pretty neat.

I can feel empathy toward him without feeling sorry for his situation. He definitely deserves to spend, at the very least, the majority of the rest of his life in prison and I certainly wouldn't argue otherwise, but at the same time, I believe he's still a human being and deserves to be treated with human dignity. As I said earlier in the thread, I hope he's not purposefully mistreated or abused in any way. We are better than people like the Tsarnaev brothers precisely because we can recognize the humanity of even the worst among us.

yoctoontologist
Sep 11, 2011

McVeigh got caught within hours, but Eric Robert Rudolph wasn't even identified as a suspect until he committed more bombings over a year later. I was afraid that would happen here.

(It also took about a year to catch the Jacksonville mosque bomber, but no one was injured in that one.)

yoctoontologist fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Apr 20, 2013

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Have there been any updates on the suspect's condition outside of "serious?"

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

Volume posted:

I wanna see a trial cause I want to see all the evidence the FBI has.

I think the lovely thing about all this is that the trial probably won't happen for a year at the very least.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Godholio posted:

Something about this 19 year old's life being ruined, I guess.

At this rate there's no way he's going to graduate on schedule :(

Muck and Mire posted:

Well, yes, he did kill people. But also why he killed people matters.

Also, whether there was anyone else involved in the planning or motivation.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Holy poo poo balls, MSNBC has coverage of Boston Common, hundreds out with flags and such. Really great.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

OMG BYZANTIUM posted:

In some jurisdictions a person can't be charged with felony murder for a co-felon's death, so I don't think he'll be charged with murder for running over his brother, assuming that actually happened.

Would the murder of the MIT cop be enough?

Neat Machine
May 5, 2008

heh
I'll be honest I like justice and I feel good when it happens. I also feel bad when it doesn't. It's probably because I grew up watching pleb animes like dragon ball z and I never matured into superior animes and concepts of morality.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

TOOT BOOT posted:

Jose Padilla.

Who was, by all accounts, actively cooperating with Al Qaeda operatives in the preparations for the 9/11 attacks. Not exactly analogous to these two clownshits making bombs pretty much on their lonesome.

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

wordsauce posted:

video of what appears to be the final firefight in Watertown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=796UFHldHM4

Was this supposedly the firefight that injured the suspect in the neck? I was under the impression he suffered two gunshot wounds, one to his leg from last night, and the other to his neck before he was caught.

Jesus, how many shots were fired? Did anyone hear the screaming at the end? I bet that was white hat.

Windjammer
Feb 23, 2007

So very primitive.

Sulla-Marius 88 posted:

I'm amazed at the people who are yelling about "Watch as obama lets him lawyer up!" and "I hope we don't even give this fucker a trial -- just let some wild dogs in to rip him apart". It's just some ultra-wizard level dumbness right there, you really want to live in a country that does that poo poo? That arbitrarily suspends the law, or decides that the law only applies to certain people? "Equality for some; Murder for most". It's like staging a riot and throwing cement blocks through your own window, why would you do that

Some of the dumber citizens of this country seem to think that a trial is some sort of favor or treat that we give to criminals just to show what nice fellows we are.

It isn't. It's a tool by which evidence and argument are used to determine a person's guilt or innocence. It's the best means available for now to ensure, as well as we can anyway, that guilty people are the ones who go to prison and innocent people do not. It's a tool that only works when applied universally.

Was this guy's crime particularly heinous? Well poo poo; all the more reason to have a trial and leave no stone unturned regarding his guilt (and that of any accomplices). Is it excruciatingly obvious that he's guilty? Gee; I guess we can all take solace knowing how easy it will be to deliver a "guilty" verdict, then.

People who confuse "trials" with "get-out-of-jail-free" cards are morons. Sure, trials go wrong from time to time, but not nearly as often as mob justice.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:

Romes128 posted:

A guy on CNN said black hat was alive, but in cardiac arrest when he was taken to the hospital early this morning. In the last thread it was said he died at the scene of the shooting. Ugh, it's going to be a while before all these details get cleared up.

CNN was actually right about this. He was alive when they captured him and died in the hospital.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/20/us/boston-marathon-bombings.html?pagewanted=3&_r=1&pagewanted=all&

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

raditts posted:

In these situations I always remember this exchange from The Insider:

CBS boss guy: You hosed us!
Al Pachino's character: No, you hosed you!

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

yoctoontologist posted:

McVeigh got caught within hours, but Eric Robert Rudolph wasn't even identified as a suspect until he committed more bombings over a year later. I was afraid that would happen here.

(It also took about a year to catch the Jacksonville mosque bomber, but no one was injured in that one.

Yeah, it was already pointed out by a few posters that I was a moron who wasn't remembering his history right :shobon:

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

krazysigmarite posted:

I'm pretty sure all they did was ruin a 17 year old kid's week. So yeah, no.

Come on, be fair, they did much more than that.

They harassed quite a few more people than just that 17-year-old.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Hollis posted:

Holy poo poo balls, MSNBC has coverage of Boston Common, hundreds out with flags and such. Really great.

Have the crowd chants devolved into "Yankees suck" yet? That's the only way we can know for certain Boston is back to normal.

Invicta{HOG}, M.D.
Jan 16, 2002

TOOT BOOT posted:

Isn't cardiac arrest basically = dead anyway? They probably just did the actual pronouncement at the hospital.

Well, it's dead but if he had a tension pneumothorax or tamponade or blood in his chest simple measures can restore his circulation early on. Hence the obvious attempts at resuscitation seen on the body. There is an interview about the doctor in the ED who mentions he came in in arrest but that they did not just pronounce him but tried thoracotomy, etc.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

TOOT BOOT posted:

Jose Padilla.

Yes but that fell through (eventually) so it's unlikely to be tried again.

Distant Chicken
Aug 15, 2007

Windjammer posted:

People who confuse "trials" with "get-out-of-jail-free" cards are morons. Sure, trials go wrong from time to time, but not nearly as often as mob justice.

See: blue tracksuit kid, blue robe guy, missing Brown U student...

Fuck This Puzzle
Mar 22, 2013

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes

watt par posted:

Have the crowd chants devolved into "Yankees suck" yet? That's the only way we can know for certain Boston is back to normal.

The last time the city partied this hard that was the first chant you heard.

OMG BYZANTIUM
Dec 30, 2008

Inspector_71 posted:

Would the murder of the MIT cop be enough?

Yeah, I'm not saying they don't have 4 other murders they could charge him with, just that the law in Mass. might not allow him to be charged with murder of Tamerlane if he actually ran over his brother while committing some other felony (if he did it on purpose, that's different).

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Fancy Corndog posted:

I'll be honest I like justice and I feel good when it happens. I also feel bad when it doesn't. It's probably because I grew up watching pleb animes like dragon ball z and I never matured into superior animes and concepts of morality.

I think most people feel this way, but people feel differently about what "justice" is. I don't think capping the dude in cold blood, or torturing him, would be justice. I think he should stand trial in a court of law, and be punished in accordance with the law after a verdict has been passed by a jury of his peers. After such, he shouldn't be treated inhumanely, he should be left alone with his thoughts, and no conception that he's being "victimized." That's justice to me.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Black hat also had a pretty goddamn sizable hole in his chest.

J
Jun 10, 2001

wordsauce posted:

video of what appears to be the final firefight in Watertown
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=796UFHldHM4

I can't believe how steady this guy manages to keep the camera when the shots start going off. drat. I jumped even though I knew what to expect.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Where will the suspect be held for the next year, until his trial?

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING

Inspector_71 posted:

Black hat also had a pretty goddamn sizable hole in his chest.

They say the black hat's heart shrunk three sizes that day...

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

octoroon posted:

Yeah. Of course it's important that we understand his motives, the forces that drove him to it, any potential circumstances or incapacities that influenced his thinking or behavior. But that's all mostly clinical, empathy is asking way too much. We're not Motherfucking Theresa or whatever.
I'm fairly certain what you described is empathy. It's not wrong to empathize with a criminal, that's what you're supposed to do. Not to be confused with sympathy.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

TubeStank posted:

Have there been any updates on the suspect's condition outside of "serious?"

Medical details are unlikely to be forthcoming.

raditts posted:

Thank god somebody picked up on it.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Apr 20, 2013

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

OatmealRaisin posted:

See: blue tracksuit kid, blue robe guy, missing Brown U student...

The part of the last thread where everyone believed Sunil's family's posts on that Facebook page were some kind of secret terrorist code because they said the word "backpack" once was absolutely astonishing. Like, I thought I stepped into an alternate dimension of poo poo posting.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

PT6A posted:

I can feel empathy toward him without feeling sorry for his situation. He definitely deserves to spend, at the very least, the majority of the rest of his life in prison and I certainly wouldn't argue otherwise, but at the same time, I believe he's still a human being and deserves to be treated with human dignity. As I said earlier in the thread, I hope he's not purposefully mistreated or abused in any way. We are better than people like the Tsarnaev brothers precisely because we can recognize the humanity of even the worst among us.

Hey, and it might even result in him seeing the error in his actions and sincerely feeling remorse for what he did!

the popes toes
Oct 10, 2004

vanbags posted:

I know. He will inevitably blame it on his brother and probably avoid the death penalty because of it.
"the dead guy talked me into it" generally isn't a winning defense. He was better educated, he evaded capture with more skill than his brother, - offhand he seems like the smarter one. Just because he looks more angelic than the brutish older bigger dead guy doesn't mean he was the snookered unwilling one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neat Machine
May 5, 2008

heh

PT6A posted:

I think most people feel this way, but people feel differently about what "justice" is. I don't think capping the dude in cold blood, or torturing him, would be justice. I think he should stand trial in a court of law, and be punished in accordance with the law after a verdict has been passed by a jury of his peers. After such, he shouldn't be treated inhumanely, he should be left alone with his thoughts, and no conception that he's being "victimized." That's justice to me.
Yeah but I think we were talking about people cheering for justice / that the dude was caught, not what is justice.

• Locked thread