Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Duke Chin posted:

As with most things from that area (and hell, a lot of places in this world), both sides were terrible to each other. Just, mind-blowingly terrible.

Exactly. It's a very "chicken or the egg" situation to pin down, but lots & lots of atrocities on both sides.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

http://www.lautenberg.senate.gov/newsroom/record.cfm?id=341435& posted:

WASHINGTON, D.C.—In the wake of the deadly bombing attacks in Boston, U.S. Senator Frank R. Lautenberg (D-NJ) today announced that he will reintroduce legislation he has proposed in a prior Congress to require that sales of explosive powder be subject to a background check. He will also file the legislation as an amendment to the gun violence prevention bill currently on the Senate floor.

Current law allows an individual to purchase as much as 50 pounds of explosive “black powder” without a background check, and also permits an individual to purchase unlimited amounts of dangerous “smokeless powder” and “black powder substitute” without a background check. Sen. Lautenberg’s proposal would change that and require a background check for any purchase of these explosive powders. These powders can be used as the explosive material in assembling pipe bombs, used in the Columbine school shooting, and pressure cooker bombs, which may have been used in the recent Boston attack.

How was this not already a thing?

EDIT: Don't bring gun control into this please.

Rubellavator fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Apr 20, 2013

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

natetimm posted:

It really depends on the degree. Law will pretty much never transfer anywhere, even between states in our own country. My doctor has a degree from Guadalajara that the US is apparently honoring.

The Mexican MD is a pretty common thing. A lot of people think that there should be a stricter admittance process for it as lots of US citizens go south of the border to get their MDs. Probably not the thread for it.

argondamn posted:

In three letters:

NRA

It won't be a thing any time soon either as indicated by the expanded background check bill that just died.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

argondamn posted:

That bill is dead now so I'm not sure why he's putting it there

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

They say that the Grinch's small heart grew three sizes that day.

Obligatory Handle posted:

Yeah, but he asked where they were born. Which from everything I've read was Kyrgyzstan.

Who loving gives a poo poo where you're born. Your birth place doesn't mean a goddamn thing, it's about where you grow up.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

argondamn posted:

Civil War reenactor lobby is second only to the NRA.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

jaegerx posted:

Apparently it's not enforced very well since I've been moving for years without it. Pre/post 9/11. Then again I'm white with a Texas accent(yes racial profiling sucks).
Well it does say that you're supposed to do it, but I don't see how they could possibly enforce that anyway. I do it though because well, they say I have to and that's good enough for me. I always do everything right because I'm absolutely terrified that I might do something wrong and be sent back to Brazil.

e: I have no accent, people always think I'm kidding when I tell them I've only been here for a couple of years. I'm clueless as to whether or not I'm considered white here though because I don't understand race in America at all.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Mr. Grinch posted:

Who loving gives a poo poo where you're born. Your birth place doesn't mean a goddamn thing, it's about where you grow up.

Try telling that to my Irish friends :allears:

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Duke Chin posted:

As with most things from that area (and hell, a lot of places in this world), both sides were terrible to each other. Just, mind-blowingly terrible.
I'm going to excuse the things the militants do because they're really bad. However Russia's constant attempts to justify yet another brutal crackdown, and bloodied butterfinger responses to provocation are at least close to being worse.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

argondamn posted:

http://thecontributor.com/how-nra-makes-bomb-tracing-difficult

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Mr. Grinch posted:

People from around there generally identify by ethnic group not nationality since borders and stuff have been pretty fluid especially due to the USSR. I can tell you for sure that they weren't of the Kyrgyz ethnicity.

egyptian rat race
Jul 13, 2007

Lowtax Spine Fund 2019
Ultra Carp

ethanol posted:

Try telling that to my Irish friends :allears:

Also everyone in New Jersey who is "100% Sicilian"

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Mr. Grinch posted:

Perfect world maybe but it matters to most people and apparently these two were no exception. "Heritage pride" etc.

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

argondamn posted:

Didn't someone post something predicting this?

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Mr. Grinch posted:

You're obviously not from the South.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Diver Dick posted:

Pretty much, yeah.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

argondamn posted:

The thing they will tell you which is true is this:

People completely dedicated to killing people like this can't be stopped. You can stick your fingers in as many holes as you want, and they will just find an easier way to do it. Restrict black powder, they'll use fertilizer. Restrict fertilizer, they'll use something else. You can mix ammonia and bleach in enough quantities to kill someone and it isn't restricted how much you can buy. There will always be a way to viciously kill people in large amounts.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010

Xander B Coolridge posted:

Has anyone in this thread even seen a Chechnyan?

And once again the Onion is on top of this issue:

quote:

Following FBI reports this morning that the suspects implicated in Monday’s Boston Marathon bombing are of Chechen descent, efforts to thoughtlessly stereotype the alleged terrorists were impeded by the majority of Americans’ lack of basic knowledge about Chechnya or the Chechen people, a new study has confirmed. “Our research shows that, while many Americans would like nothing more than to make sweeping, insensitive generalizations about these two individuals based purely on their ethnic identity, this process is largely impeded by the fact that 9 out of 10 Americans truly know next to nothing about Chechnya, including even the very barest details of what or where Chechnya is,” said lead researcher Dr. Tim Kinane, adding that a majority of American citizens are almost totally unaware of Chechen history and culture, how to locate Chechnya on a map, whether Chechnya is a country or a city or a region, or that a person from Chechnya is called a Chechen. “Clinical trials show that most individuals will make brief, fumbling attempts to stereotype Chechens based on what little they know about Russians, but eventually drop the subject entirely after running out of anything to say within seconds.” Kinane’s team was able to confirm, however, that once research subjects were told Chechnya is a predominantly Muslim region, they were “usually pretty good to go from there.”

http://www.theonion.com/articles/study-majority-of-americans-not-informed-enough-to,32124/

Sir John Falstaff fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 20, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

the kawaiiest posted:

Well it does say that you're supposed to do it, but I don't see how they could possibly enforce that anyway. I do it though because well, they say I have to and that's good enough for me. I always do everything right because I'm absolutely terrified that I might do something wrong and be sent back to Brazil.

e: I have no accent, people always think I'm kidding when I tell them I've only been here for a couple of years. I'm clueless as to whether or not I'm considered white here though because I don't understand race in America at all.
Yeah, since it's a concept that only exists inside people's minds, I can understand the confusion.

I thought I had the general idea of it until an ethnically Greek friend told me he doesn't consider himself white.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

hailthefish posted:

Light him up with the Nightsun, by which they likely mean this thing

I just saw footage from the house where the final standoff was that I hadn't seen, and it was bright as gently caress in that yard even though the sky was pitch black.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Wildlife Analysis posted:

Some "expert" on CNN just said there were hundreds of thousands of Chechen refugees in America. Nice.

I just went to Wikipedia, though not always reliable, has < 1000.

A source: http://www.ibtimes.com/chechens-little-known-global-diaspora-refugees-1204971

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

the kawaiiest posted:

I don't understand race in America at all.

nobody else does either. It's part of the fun/horror, depending on the situation.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

the kawaiiest posted:

It's really more about subcultures than skin colors (although that won't stop everyone from jumping to conclusions).

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Mr. Grinch posted:

Didn't someone post something predicting this?

There's something from 4chan from Monday. Cold reading I guess.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm going to excuse the things the militants do because they're really bad. However Russia's constant attempts to justify yet another brutal crackdown, and bloodied butterfinger responses to provocation are at least close to being worse.

:stare: Uh what is the background to this picture?

Mr. Grinch
Jul 2, 2007

That's really unsettling.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Misandrist Duck posted:

You are absolutely right and there is going to be a serious conversation among journalists in the weeks to come about the ethics and responsibilities of sharing what they hear over police scanners that will hopefully be picked up by other people who use social media.

Do you think them sharing it was immoral? What about us sharing it on the forums? I couldn't peel myself away from following it, but what if the guy had a smartphone or something? Could that have impeded their operation?

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Diver Dick posted:

Funny thing. I lived in Italy for 3 years and have dual citizenship. All of the Italians I know view American "Italians" in an odd light. It is almost like they are caricatures or something. My sister's husband is Italian and he found the North End of Boston to be somewhat hilarious. He is from Milan though so take it with a grain of salt as the North and South are really different.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

LateToTheParty posted:

:stare: Uh what is the background to this picture?

Moscow theater hostage crisis

Bushman
Feb 16, 2004

argondamn posted:

Because it doesnt need to be a thing. It would not have stopped these guys or anyone else so why shackle the rest of us with another dumb law.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

demonachizer posted:

Funny thing. I lived in Italy for 3 years and have dual citizenship. All of the Italians I know view American "Italians" in an odd light. It is almost like they are caricatures or something. My sister's husband is Italian and he found the North End of Boston to be somewhat hilarious. He is from Milan though so take it with a grain of salt as the North and South are really different.

I live at the Mexican border and actual Mexicans view Mexican Americans way differently and African immigrants look at African Americans with shock. It's a culture thing.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

Bushman posted:

Because it doesnt need to be a thing. It would not have stopped these guys or anyone else so why shackle the rest of us with another dumb law.

What? How many people are going to be "shackled" if all but the most hobbyist amounts of explosive materials are tracked?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

They did a real bang up job at Beslan too, resolving a hostage crisis with tanks and flamethrowers, almost 400 dead.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Friend posted:

I listened to the scanner and read the news and the thread all day today. How is it that I only just now learned that black hat had a wife and daughter? Seems like that would have come up more
That was my only post in the old thread -- I only found out about the wife and daughter because of the CBC interview with the aunt in Toronto.

Obligatory Handle
Feb 27, 2004

by Lowtax

Mr. Grinch posted:

OK thanks.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Rambling Robot posted:

A source: http://www.ibtimes.com/chechens-little-known-global-diaspora-refugees-1204971

I posted it earlier, but it was lost in all the posting.

quote:

There are probably fewer than about 200 Chechen immigrants in the United States, and most of them are settled in the Boston area, as many U.S. cities have refused to accept asylum applicants from the war-torn area of southern Russia, says Glen Howard, president of the Jamestown Foundation.

About 70% of the Chechen immigrants are women, Howard says. Very few men are granted asylum because of U.S. anti-terrorism policies and because Russia often protests when ethnic Chechens try to settle in the U.S., he said. The U.S. admitted only 197 refugees from all of Russia in 2012.
http://www.newsleader.com/usatoday/article/2097065

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Rambling Robot posted:

Yeah, that is what I was pointing out. Their expert is a moron.

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

C2C - 2.0 posted:

What? How many people are going to be "shackled" if all but the most hobbyist amounts of explosive materials are tracked?

As log as it's available in some form the system is still easily manipulated. The point is that people dedicated to do harm will find a way no matter what. As much as the government would like you to think so, they can't guarantee your safety or even put forth the claim to be able to stop these all of these events. The best resource remains intelligence gathering and limiting the ways people can become radicalized.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

Rusty posted:

I posted it earlier, but it was lost in all the posting.

http://www.newsleader.com/usatoday/article/2097065

Yeah the guy whose asylum app I translated is pretty much hosed at this point. If he goes back to Chechnya he is doubly hosed though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

natetimm posted:

As log as it's available in some form the system is still easily manipulated. The point is that people dedicated to do harm will find a way no matter what. As much as the government would like you to think so, they can't guarantee your safety or even put forth the claim to be able to stop these all of these events. The best resource remains intelligence gathering and limiting the ways people can become radicalized.

Deterrence is still at thing, y'know. This isn't an insistence by anyone that there be a 100% rate of success regarding anything. It's about minimizing potential harm.

• Locked thread