Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

That's why we're blaming the Czechs instead.

edit: I tried explaining hte difference between Chechens and Russians to someone today; I was unsuccessful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

Who knows, but I'd hazard a guess that he was a 19 year old guy who probably wasn't the person in charge of this whole operation, had escaped the night before solely by dumb luck, and was scared out of his mind. I doubt he had any plan for himself.

It wouldn't surprise me that when the home owner checked his boat the 19 year old was so tired from being on the run and blood loss that he just didn't give a poo poo to do anything. When the cops showed up at the boat he got tiny bit of energy to do something, as pointless as the gunfire would turn out to be. But being in that boat he must have been just as exhausted as he was scared.

OH NO MY DICK
Feb 24, 2013

Forums Jesus
My gut feeling, as bullshit as gut feelings are, was that homeland security would find a townhouse somewhere and raid it. When the news of the bombings first broke, something told me it wasn't a traditional terrorist attack.

Edit: and now I realize it's not a gut feeling. It's because they didn't take themselves with their target.

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

Copley Depot posted:

eh, not that unlikely. I would have said a 6 or 7.

I am very glad that we are going to see him stand trial and see his motives brought out into the light though.

If it was the LAPD behind the manhunt I'd give the rating a solid 12, the extra 2 is for the civilians that would undoubtedly be shot because they had a hat on or were in the general area.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

C2C - 2.0 posted:

Armed & dangerous, with explosives. Suspected of killing a police officer and wounding others. I'd almost move the scale up to 11.
But on the other hand, 19 year old kid with no apparent plan. Possibly unprepared for the amount of attention the bombing would create.

^^ - well yeah, if it was the LA "let's burn this motherfucker out" PD.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Bubba Smith posted:

It wouldn't surprise me that when the home owner checked his boat the 19 year old was so tired from being on the run and blood loss that he just didn't give a poo poo to do anything. When the cops showed up at the boat he got tiny bit of energy to do something, as pointless as the gunfire would turn out to be. But being in that boat he must have been just as exhausted as he was scared.
While this guy was a complete rear end in a top hat to go along with this entire dog and pony show, it does sound like his brother was a lot more focused on exciting adventures like fighting the police.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Bubba Smith posted:

Yeah, I kind of see it that way too.

fivetwo
Jun 19, 2009

Casimir Radon posted:

They did a real bang up job at Beslan too, resolving a hostage crisis with tanks and flamethrowers, almost 400 dead.

I heard that Spetznaz consider hostages already dead... any truth to this?

Sypher
Feb 4, 2003

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Can anyone here who knows anything about how manhunt procedures in the United States tell me, on a scale of 1 to 10, just how likely it was that we were going to take White Hat alive, 1 being "Completely expected" and 10 being "About as probable as taking Bin Laden alive"? Thanks.

I am honestly floored that he was captured alive. By noon I figured he wasn't into the whole "maximum damage, go out in a blaze of glory" because if he was, he would have done it by then. I figured he would be killed by itchy trigger fingers due to the fact that he killed a police officer. Not to mention an 8 year old boy.

I would rate it as a 9.5

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Copley Depot posted:

But on the other hand, 19 year old kid with no apparent plan. Possibly unprepared for the amount of attention the bombing would create.

I listened to an interview with a classmate of his in AP English. If you're in AP English and growing up in america since 9/11, you absolutely are going to know what attention bombings will create in america. She said he was smart, normal, funny, semi quiet but 'not troubling' and she wanted to get to know him better.

ethanol fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Apr 20, 2013

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Sypher posted:

Is it even confirmed he was shooting back at cops? I listened to the scanner for a huge majority of the night and I never heard them saying they were taking fire from the boat, but that they were just firing dummy rounds into it.

Apparently he opened fire and hit at least one cop and they returned fire with dummy rounds.

It's sheer dumb luck he didn't get killed in the first shoot-out. Or shot and killed in the boat.

quote:

Gun control blather
Smokeless powder, the kind used in the vast majority of modern firearms, is pretty loving worthless as an explosive, even a 'low explosive', so there's that.

If they'd used smokeless powder in their bombs, people would have noticed a funny smell and possibly a bit of flame. Without high levels of compression (like those inside a cartridge) it doesn't do much more than burn.

CampingCarl
Apr 28, 2008

Can someone explain or link me to whatever this thing is with an old guy and robots that people keep referencing?

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

Yeah, I kind of see it that way too.

I don't think the homeowner actually checked the boat, just noticed the shed door ajar and the bloody whatever and called the cops without even going outside.

limited
Dec 10, 2005
Limited Sanity

Sypher posted:

I am honestly floored that he was captured alive. By noon I figured he wasn't into the whole "maximum damage, go out in a blaze of glory" because if he was, he would have done it by then. I figured he would be killed by itchy trigger fingers due to the fact that he killed a police officer. Not to mention an 8 year old boy.

Chalk me up thinking this too. Beyond the police having no choice but to put a bullet in his head, I'm surprised he didn't off himself when he realized he was boned.

Hopefully being full of holes and hunted like a animal for a day or two will shock some sense into him and he'll spill on any fellow buddies he's got if he survives. Somehow I doubt it though. :sigh:

I imagine the only thing holding itchy trigger fingers back was professionalism and getting a hold on any friends he's got.

limited fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 20, 2013

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Inspector_71 posted:

I don't think the homeowner actually checked the boat, just noticed the shed door ajar and the bloody whatever and called the cops without even going outside.

Gahhh you're right. Oops. You even said that already and I forgot about it immediately thereafter. :sigh:

HackerJoeGuy
Apr 18, 2007

I personally believe the BPD wanted him alive and went to great lengths to ensure just that. He fired at them when they checked the boat, after all. In another city, another police department might have made it an all bets off kind of situation. But there was a definite air of getting him without having to put him in a bag.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The fact that the BPD were stopping and actually arresting people who were wandering around at night in the area instead of just shooting them was a big part of why I was pretty sure they were going to try and take him alive.

Plus, I guess from the scanners it was the feds who really took point on the final action?

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Xandu posted:

That's why we're blaming the Czechs instead.

edit: I tried explaining hte difference between Chechens and Russians to someone today; I was unsuccessful.

Maybe an official embassy statement will help:

http://www.mzv.cz/washington/en/czech_u_s_relations/news/statement_of_the_ambassador_of_the_czech.html

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.

It's so loving ridiculous they have to specify this.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I heard on the radio three times that the boat owner peeked in the tarp and saw a "bloodied man"

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Inspector_71 posted:

Plus, I guess from the scanners it was the feds who really took point on the final action?

HRT practices in the kill box. All live fire. SAS and I think the seals are the only others in the Western Hemisphere to do so. Last people you ever wanna gently caress with.

C2C - 2.0
May 14, 2006

Dubs In The Key Of Life

Lipstick Apathy

ethanol posted:

I heard on the radio three times that the boat owner peeked in the tarp and saw a "bloodied man"

I'd be very surprised if this person wasn't on a national news program within a few days being interviewed about what happened.

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011

ethanol posted:

Yeah every report I've seen was that the lockdown was lifted, homeowner took his pets out in the back and noticed the cover was amiss. Got up and looked inside and saw the kid so he ran in and notified the authorities.

OH NO MY DICK
Feb 24, 2013

Forums Jesus
How many of the suspected IEDs were actually IEDs? I read a number like 7 somewhere else and I thought that seemed like way too many to carry around in a backpack while fleeing during one of the most elaborate manhunts in US history.

Church
Jul 1, 2005

jaegerx posted:

HRT practices in the kill box. All live fire. SAS and I think the seals are the only others in the Western Hemisphere to do so. Last people you ever wanna gently caress with.

Canadian Special forces "JTF-2" does as well, they have a recruitment video about it, it's pretty bad rear end.

Flashing Twelve
Mar 20, 2007

HackerJoeGuy posted:

I personally believe the BPD wanted him alive and went to great lengths to ensure just that. He fired at them when they checked the boat, after all. In another city, another police department might have made it an all bets off kind of situation. But there was a definite air of getting him without having to put him in a bag.

Boston PD put on a very good show here, they're going to look great in the media (and to political entities). Especially true because they're going to be compared to the manhunt for Dorner, which was embarrassing for the LAPD.

Sypher
Feb 4, 2003

ethanol posted:

In the previous thread, a goon stated that a friend of a friend was the owner of the boat. Said person peeked outside and saw something going on in the boat and notified officials without peeking in.

I literally followed this thread and the scanner from 730am EST until arrest. I had MSNBC/CNN on in the background. This thread and scanner were 1000% more informative than the media. Literally everything the media said was either false or 20 minutes behind.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

C2C - 2.0 posted:

I'd be very surprised if this person wasn't on a national news program within a few days being interviewed about what happened.

When Petey wakes up, we can ask him, because a good friend of his knows the dude well. You could not make this poo poo up.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

ethanol posted:

When it was all going down at the end there were multiple call outs on the police scanner saying that their was a fire on the boat too. But there was no fire. So really who knows, I'm sure the media will be blasting the boat owner for interviews and I wouldn't believe anything until it comes from his mouth.

Flashing Twelve
Mar 20, 2007

Sypher posted:

I literally followed this thread and the scanner from 730am EST until arrest. I had MSNBC/CNN on in the background. This thread and scanner were 1000% more informative than the media. Literally everything the media said was either false or 20 minutes behind.

Are media services legally allowed to report information they've collected from private police communications?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I have a lot of respect for that boat owner. Just hearing my yard gate creak at night makes me jumpy sometimes.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Sypher posted:

It was weird to talk back and forth with people not tied to the scanner more closely (I didn't listen to the scanner but watched the thread and had NPR radio going) because they'd be behind and have weird details. I got a bunch of texts from people saying "gunfire" regarding the flashbangs. NPR didn't really seem that far off from what I was reading, though.

Sir John Falstaff
Apr 13, 2010
I would rate it at about a 7, just because so many mass killers seem to kill themselves as well. I think there are really two factors, (1) how much did he want to be taken alive, and (2) how much did the authorities want to take him alive. The former, though, was much more important. That's not to take anything away from what the authorities here did--BPD, the feds, whoever else was involved did everything very professionally, but if he wasn't willing to be taken alive he probably wouldn't have been.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

jaegerx posted:

Jesus Christ. Citation?

jaegerx
Sep 10, 2012

Maybe this post will get me on your ignore list!

Church posted:

Canadian Special forces "JTF-2" does as well, they have a recruitment video about it, it's pretty bad rear end.

I knew I forgot one. Yes these guys are equally bad rear end. You do not want to gently caress with anyone that practices kill box. The team not training sits inside it as hostages so the attacking team can practice with live targets.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Flashing Twelve posted:

Are media services legally allowed to report information they've collected from private police communications?

What is a "private police communication?" Officer Billy Bob suggesting a lunchtime BJ to Officer Joe Bob? Because if you're talking about scanner traffic that's not "private" in any sense of the word.

8lbsofanalsex
Jun 3, 2011

jaegerx posted:

Do you mean "kill house" or "shoot house"? Delta Force were the guys who first trained HRT and still cross-train with them. Also most spec ops units do live fire CQB training.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Loucks posted:

Jesus Christ. Citation?

One of the only HRT members to have been killed since it was established was killed in a live fire exercise.

Sypher
Feb 4, 2003

Flashing Twelve posted:

I honestly dont know the answer to that.

All I can say is that there was constant information update via the police scanner. Meanwhile the press seemed to be half reporting the scanner and half sensationalizing it. At one point MSNBC was reporting that there was a man in a canoe raising his bloody hands out the top as if he wanted to surrender... about 45 minutes before the suspect was actually captured.

edit: and at the same time the scanner was saying that there was no movement following two flashbangs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

Flashing Twelve posted:

Good question. I wonder if they can't stream it direct?

All the stuff on the scanner stream was totally un-encrypted and I have friends who work in local news and their helicopter is usually dispatched based off someone monitoring a police scanner.
Maybe they don't want to just live stream a police channel because they will look like idiots who are no more adept at discovering information than anyone with a $40 box. Plus the entire history of TV news revolves around a human personality distributing the news.

• Locked thread