Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

Taima posted:

Oh nice, so you ordered Mario Land 3D? If so you're in for a treat, that game is just spectacular.

I already had Mario Land 3D for my regular 3DS. I was upgrading to an XL. And yeah, it is a fantastic game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I was kinda wondering, since I checked the whole thread and didn't find any opinions about it: Is Unchained Blades any good? I heard somewhere that it's kinda like Shin Megami Tensei in that you can negotiate with the demons/enemies, but it left me wondering.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Wark Say posted:

I was kinda wondering, since I checked the whole thread and didn't find any opinions about it: Is Unchained Blades any good? I heard somewhere that it's kinda like Shin Megami Tensei in that you can negotiate with the demons/enemies, but it left me wondering.

Unchained Blades is...I wouldn't call it bad, but it's not amazing either. It's a dungeon crawler with predetermined characters, an FFX sphere grid-esque leveling system, and a tedious follower system thlat combines the worst of SMT and Pokemon. I enjoyed it, but it's not for everyone and you should probably get Soul Hackers or Etrian Odyssey 4 instead if you really want a dungeon crawler.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Is that Ghost Recon game actually like a good strategy RPG? People keep telling me it's worth playing but I'm not entirely sure I believe them.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Artix posted:

Unchained Blades is...I wouldn't call it bad, but it's not amazing either. It's a dungeon crawler with predetermined characters, an FFX sphere grid-esque leveling system, and a tedious follower system thlat combines the worst of SMT and Pokemon. I enjoyed it, but it's not for everyone and you should probably get Soul Hackers or Etrian Odyssey 4 instead if you really want a dungeon crawler.

Thanks for the tip! I actually downloaded both Soul Hackers and EO. Soul Hackers is a little bit easier than I thought, but incredibly fun.

Etrian Odyssey is... I think it's the closest I've been to feeling the way I did when I first played the first two Shin Megami Tensei games. A warm and fuzzy feeling that appeals to the neurotic, anal-retentive gear-head inside of me. :3:

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Sakurazuka posted:

Is that Ghost Recon game actually like a good strategy RPG? People keep telling me it's worth playing but I'm not entirely sure I believe them.

Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars is indeed a good SRPG. These days I'd recommend Fire Emblem first, but Shadow Wars is definitely worth checking out, and you can get it on the cheap since it was a launch title.

Kimoosabi X
Nov 8, 2006

Stupid question probably, but a bit paranoid.. Just bought a Black/Blue 3DS XL.. noticed the volume slider makes a clicking sound when I slide it up and down. Functionally it seems to be working fine, but my wife's pink 3DS XL doesn't make this clicking noise, hence my concern. Is this anything to be worried about or is it fairly normal?

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Artix posted:

Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars is indeed a good SRPG. These days I'd recommend Fire Emblem first, but Shadow Wars is definitely worth checking out, and you can get it on the cheap since it was a launch title.

I second this recommendation.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Sakurazuka posted:

gently caress yeah. That's the first SRPG I've played, and since have had fun with X-COM and now Fire Emblem. GR:SW is a really fun game (and very forgiving on easy if you're worried about that).

Plus you can find it for like $10 now. Low risk if you hate it (you won't).

E: Well, I played FF Tactics years ago, but didn't really get it until GR:SW.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Apr 20, 2013

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Groovy, just bought a used copy for £6. :v:

Forseeable Fuchsia
Dec 28, 2011
Hey there, I've got a bit of a (possibly) silly question. I'm thinking of picking up a 3DS XL from a second-hand place fairly soon. Am I going to have any trouble using it at all?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
GAME UK is offering an Isabelle/Town Hall figurine dealio as a pre-order bonus for Animal Crossing:

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

GAME UK is offering an Isabelle/Town Hall figurine dealio as a pre-order bonus for Animal Crossing:

My hands moved on their own and I have now preordered this.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Mock and Droll posted:

Hey there, I've got a bit of a (possibly) silly question. I'm thinking of picking up a 3DS XL from a second-hand place fairly soon. Am I going to have any trouble using it at all?

Unless it's hot merchandise, no? Least you want to do is wipe the system if the place didn't do it.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

It was designed by Julian Gollop, creator of X-Com and Laser Squad, dude knows his strategy RPGs. Now that the new X-Com has come out its really interesting to see all the common ideas they independently stumbled into, battles play out very similarly. The Tom Clancy stuff is surprisingly bearable too. Best of the 3DS launch titles by far.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Continuing SRPG chat, I hit the first difficulty spike in Fire Emblem. First fight with Ricken (the wind magicky duder). These types of games are still kiiiiind of new to me, but I'm enjoying it. Still not quite sure what I'm doing (I guess MT is a weapons strength? What's that even stand for? :psyduck:), and I won't go too deep into it in this thread since there is a dedicated FE thread, but it is a good game.

The 3D makes it look really cool; it's first game on the 3DS I've seen where the 3D makes the cutscenes look better. Usually 3D just enhances lovely compression quality, but FE looks great.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Soul Glo posted:

Continuing SRPG chat, I hit the first difficulty spike in Fire Emblem. First fight with Ricken (the wind magicky duder). These types of games are still kiiiiind of new to me, but I'm enjoying it. Still not quite sure what I'm doing (I guess MT is a weapons strength? What's that even stand for? :psyduck:), and I won't go too deep into it in this thread since there is a dedicated FE thread, but it is a good game.

The 3D makes it look really cool; it's first game on the 3DS I've seen where the 3D makes the cutscenes look better. Usually 3D just enhances lovely compression quality, but FE looks great.

MT stands for might.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
^ :argh:

Soul Glo posted:

Continuing SRPG chat, I hit the first difficulty spike in Fire Emblem. First fight with Ricken (the wind magicky duder). These types of games are still kiiiiind of new to me, but I'm enjoying it. Still not quite sure what I'm doing (I guess MT is a weapons strength? What's that even stand for? :psyduck:)

Might.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

I thought that might be it (sorry).

I've scoffed at player's guides ever since walkthroughs on the internet started becoming common, but this game would probably have a pretty interesting strategy guide that could tell you what all is going on, in-game system and stat-wise.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Soul Glo posted:

A tip for that map: If you do the paralogue that opens directly beforehand, you'll get a rescue staff in one of the chests. Rescue lets you move a distant character (and their pair-up partner) to a space adjacent to the caster, which lets you bail Maribelle and Ricken out of trouble immediately.

e: Oh, hey, this isn't the Awakening thread. My point still stands though.

Cake Attack fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Apr 20, 2013

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Cake Attack posted:

A tip for that map: If you do the paralogue that opens directly beforehand, you'll get a rescue staff in one of the chests. Rescue lets you move a distant character (and their pair-up partner) to a space adjacent to the caster, which lets you bail Maribelle and Ricken out of trouble immediately.

Yeah, I ended up beating it by liberally using Rescue like letting Chrom get a hit in, take a hit, then rescuing him to the back of the column going up the middle hill. I ended up letting Maribelle eat it, and I assume it ends differently if you save her. Decided I would just live with what happens since I'm playing Classic (I did reset once when I sent a mage into a battle with no attacks and the starting axe dude died because of my stupidity though). I'll see what happens if you save her if I do a second playthrough.

What does suck is that I can't tell why some people can't use stuff. I have what I believe is an upgraded thunder spell, but the Avatar character (I guess he defaults to Robin in every game) can't use it despite having a basic thunder spell. I also loaded every character down with Heal before realizing that only Lissa can use it so far :thumbsup:.

e: None of this poo poo is spoilers, by the way, only three hours in. I'm still getting tutorial hints. But yeah, I'll take any more specific FE stuff to that thread if (when) I have more problems :shobon:.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Apr 20, 2013

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken

Soul Glo posted:

Yeah, I ended up beating it by liberally using Rescue like letting Chrom get a hit in, take a hit, then rescuing him to the back of the column going up the middle hill. I ended up letting Maribelle eat it, and I assume it ends differently if you save her. Decided I would just live with what happens since I'm playing Classic (I did reset once when I sent a mage into a battle with no attacks and the starting axe dude died because of my stupidity though). I'll see what happens if you save her if I do a second playthrough.

What does suck is that I can't tell why some people can't use stuff. I have what I believe is an upgraded thunder spell, but the Avatar character (I guess he defaults to Robin in every game) can't use it despite having a basic thunder spell. I also loaded every character down with Heal before realizing that only Lissa can use it so far :thumbsup:.

e: None of this poo poo is spoilers, by the way, only three hours in. I'm still getting tutorial hints. But yeah, I'll take any more specific FE stuff to that thread if (when) I have more problems :shobon:.

The little mage staff/book/axe/whatevers at the bottom of every character's stat screen tell you what each character can use and their proficiency with each weapon type. You cant use an A level book if your dude only has C level book proficiency or no book, for example. Try tapping every stat on the bottom screen, it will tell you almost everything you need to know.

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Of course you dont know, YOU dont know because only I know

Grimey Drawer
I have an obscure 3dsXL question that I hope someone can answer. I live in Taiwan and I want to buy an XL, but it seems that Taiwan has their own region lock. If I buy locally, is there some way to access the foreign e-shop? Or would I be stuck with whatever is on Taiwan's e-shop? For that matter, if I imported one from NA, would it change its region to Taiwan if I used it here, or could it access NA?

I gotta get my Monster Hunter fix.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Oh. My. Zeus. posted:

I have an obscure 3dsXL question that I hope someone can answer. I live in Taiwan and I want to buy an XL, but it seems that Taiwan has their own region lock. If I buy locally, is there some way to access the foreign e-shop? Or would I be stuck with whatever is on Taiwan's e-shop? For that matter, if I imported one from NA, would it change its region to Taiwan if I used it here, or could it access NA?

You'd have to import a NA 3DS and access the NA eShop that way, yeah. There's no IP check or anything.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

Oh. My. Zeus. posted:

Nope to your first question. If you imported from NA you would be stuck using the NA eShop. Be careful though, it may not accept your credit card.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!
Apparently it accepts foreign cards if you set your region to Albert, Canada, or I believe was posted earlier in the thread.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

jtm33 posted:

Nope to your first question. If you imported from NA you would be stuck using the NA eShop. Be careful though, it may not accept your credit card.

If all else fails there are a number of websites that let you buy prepaid eShop cards online, although at a substantial markup (usually around 20%). It's worth it for me since I'm in Australia and video games are hilariously expensive here anyway; I don't know what the situation is like in Taiwan.

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Thanks fellas. Guess it was overly hopeful of me to expect to hop down to the shop and be playing MH tonight :(

Thuryl posted:

It's worth it for me since I'm in Australia and video games are hilariously expensive here anyway; I don't know what the situation is like in Taiwan.

From a brief look online, physical games in Taiwan are a little more expensive than NA prices; roughly on par with Japanese prices. You Aussies are getting gouged to hell, though, drat.

Annie Chickenstalker fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Apr 20, 2013

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Soul Glo posted:

I've scoffed at player's guides ever since walkthroughs on the internet started becoming common, but this game would probably have a pretty interesting strategy guide that could tell you what all is going on, in-game system and stat-wise.

Yeah it would. I got it yesterday (hooray for Europe) and I've played about an hour and a half. The tutorial pacing is really loving strange. I've been able to pull off combo moves in combat with support characters from the second mission onwards, but only sometimes. I assume it has something to do with their support level, but I can't be sure because the game hasn't explained it yet (or I missed it).

Still, a great loving game and thanks to the Internet I can find out the answer in five seconds, but it's still strange.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Der Shovel posted:

but only sometimes. I assume it has something to do with their support level, but I can't be sure because the game hasn't explained it yet (or I missed it).

The sword icon whenever you declare an attack is the percentage of a support attack (the backrow of a pair-up attacking) working. The Shield Icon is the percentage of nullifying an attack completely.

These increase by the Skill stat but mostly the Support level which are increased each mission by how many battles the two units fight.

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

Der Shovel posted:

Yeah it would. I got it yesterday (hooray for Europe) and I've played about an hour and a half. The tutorial pacing is really loving strange. I've been able to pull off combo moves in combat with support characters from the second mission onwards, but only sometimes. I assume it has something to do with their support level, but I can't be sure because the game hasn't explained it yet (or I missed it).

Still, a great loving game and thanks to the Internet I can find out the answer in five seconds, but it's still strange.

It's percentage-based. When you enter a fight, there will be an icon on the outcome display (possibly only in Full mode, since I never use the simple version) which displays your percentage chance to dual attack or guard.

Also, there's a nice thread for any Awakening questions you might have :)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

Oh. My. Zeus. posted:

If you aren't adverse to buying online through yahoo.com.tw, you can get an imported 3DS XL. It'll cost a fair chunk more than it would in a store in America, but the price includes international shipping, so it's not horrible. I think it ended up being cheaper than importing through Playasia. The real appeal to me was that I could set up the charging to get a monthly interest free bill that I could pay at 7-11 which severely lessened the blow of the total cost.

I have zero issue accessing the NA eshop in Taiwan and that's how I plan to do most of my purchases. If you have a NA credit card, it shouldn't be an issue. Assuming you're a foreigner in Taiwan, you probably don't even have a local credit card.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Tae posted:

The sword icon whenever you declare an attack is the percentage of a support attack (the backrow of a pair-up attacking) working. The Shield Icon is the percentage of nullifying an attack completely.

Ah, so actually hitting the button that looks like a combo attack doesn't do anything? What is that button for, then?

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Der Shovel posted:

Ah, so actually hitting the button that looks like a combo attack doesn't do anything? What is that button for, then?

What button? You mean the two cross swords that appear over an enemies attack when you target one?

edit: Just to clarify, Fire Emblem is a pure SPRG. There is no Action element whatsoever so no button prompts or anything like that is in the game.

Tae fucked around with this message at 09:38 on Apr 20, 2013

Annie Chickenstalker
Oct 12, 2005

Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

If you aren't adverse to buying online through yahoo.com.tw, you can get an imported 3DS XL. It'll cost a fair chunk more than it would in a store in America, but the price includes international shipping, so it's not horrible. I think it ended up being cheaper than importing through Playasia. The real appeal to me was that I could set up the charging to get a monthly interest free bill that I could pay at 7-11 which severely lessened the blow of the total cost.

I have zero issue accessing the NA eshop in Taiwan and that's how I plan to do most of my purchases. If you have a NA credit card, it shouldn't be an issue. Assuming you're a foreigner in Taiwan, you probably don't even have a local credit card.

This is a great idea, thanks. It's not even that expensive, really. Especially compared to buying new on Play-Asia or having someone ship a new one over here.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Tae posted:

What button? You mean the two cross swords that appear over an enemies attack when you target one?

No I mean this thing:

But now that I actually look at it instead of quickly glancing at it during combat it's probably just a camera control :downs:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Der Shovel posted:

No I mean this thing:

But now that I actually look at it instead of quickly glancing at it during combat it's probably just a camera control :downs:

Yeah, it is. In order from left to right:

-free form flow, camera moves on its own
-first person view from the lead character's view
-static camera from the middle of the field

-play
-stop
-fast forward (also can be done by just holding A)

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Haha, I've been hammering that thing like crazy during combats :downs:

Timid
Dec 13, 2012

Heads up, the CPP is now available in NA for $20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glassyalabolas
Oct 21, 2006
I want to bowl with the gangsters...

Timid posted:

Heads up, the CPP is now available in NA for $20.

It's the CPP-XL/LL and it's only available straight from Nintendo. I'm considering it.

• Locked thread