Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

gradenko_2000 posted:

Learn something new everyday. It's a shame though, the AGEOD system is really not all that bad - their treatment of the ACW is one of the better ones I've played after the combat and movement systems finally clicked. I'm kind of stunned that they even still have to go through Steam Greenlight for Alea Jacta Est.

I was very surprised when I found out about this, Alea Jacta Est is a really fun game and since there's already other AGEOD games on steam I had assumed it would go straight through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
EDIT: Has Paradox ever thought about tablet gaming? Control issues might be a thing of course, but a game like March of the Eagles or Victoria 2 seems like it'd be fun on a long commute or a really slow night shift.

uPen posted:

I was very surprised when I found out about this, Alea Jacta Est is a really fun game and since there's already other AGEOD games on steam I had assumed it would go straight through.

Rise of Prussia is still on my Steam wishlish :smith: It and PON were both on Steam when AGEOD was still connected with Paradox, but I guess they got pulled after the separation.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Apr 20, 2013

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.

Cynic Jester posted:

Is China sphered?

Nope, they're completely independent.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Rise of Prussia is still on my Steam wishlish :smith: It and PON were both on Steam when AGEOD was still connected with Paradox, but I guess they got pulled after the separation.

If you read the thread that was linked earlier, it was pulled because it was being put on sale at other retailers :v:

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
Gave in and bought HoD. It's good, but there are still a couple things that make me look forward to the first post-release patch.

First, the issue with dominions - Every game starts with Portugal releasing all of its colonies, and Britain releasing Columbia and Australia. Also, Goa always turns into tiny one-province India.

Second, it's sometimes unclear why I can't place a focus on one of my foreign cores in order to cause a crisis there.

Also, I've been playing the Two Sicilies, and I was a little shocked when, when the Redshirts won a victory in tiny Parma, I was instantly given the option to form Italy with all of its non-Austrian territories. Which was...a little disappointing, since that was the goal I was painstakingly working towards, and having it offered to me so completely took the wind out of my sails a little. I think that had been removed in APD, and I guess it'll be gone again in the next version of that mod.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven
Son of a bitch son of a bitch I hate the new peace AI. Prussia just unilaterally accepted white peace in our Hungarian liberation crisis war, for literally no loving reason. We had ALREADY WON. We had destroyed the armies of France, Austria, and Turkey. We had occupied half of loving Hungary. Our warscore was in the loving 40s and was about to start ticking up! Then out of loving nowhere they accept a white peace!? I am never again becoming involved in a war in which I am not leader.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There are ways around it: Tag to your war leader and use "debug yesmen" to force through a treaty if you can see it coming, or just manually reassign provinces to the various nations as you see fit.

SickZip
Jul 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Wolfgang Pauli posted:

Son of a bitch son of a bitch I hate the new peace AI. Prussia just unilaterally accepted white peace in our Hungarian liberation crisis war, for literally no loving reason. We had ALREADY WON. We had destroyed the armies of France, Austria, and Turkey. We had occupied half of loving Hungary. Our warscore was in the loving 40s and was about to start ticking up! Then out of loving nowhere they accept a white peace!? I am never again becoming involved in a war in which I am not leader.

There's nothing like fighting an endless great war, finally completely crushing your opponents armies, only for the warleader (gently caress you great britain) to peace out without enforcing a single one of your wargoals.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

gradenko_2000 posted:

EDIT: Has Paradox ever thought about tablet gaming? Control issues might be a thing of course, but a game like March of the Eagles or Victoria 2 seems like it'd be fun on a long commute or a really slow night shift.

No, but I'm fairly sure I remember them getting some subcontractors to port HoI 3 on Xbox a few years ago. :downs:

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Lichtenstein posted:

No, but I'm fairly sure I remember them getting some subcontractors to port HoI 3 on Xbox a few years ago. :downs:

EU2 was also being ported to the DS at one point.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

gradenko_2000 posted:

There are ways around it: Tag to your war leader and use "debug yesmen" to force through a treaty if you can see it coming, or just manually reassign provinces to the various nations as you see fit.
It was completely out of nowhere. I guess we got to the point where the enemy started to offer white peaces before they offered to surrender, but the AHD AI was at least smart enough to reject white peaces when it was so obviously winning.

SickZip posted:

There's nothing like fighting an endless great war, finally completely crushing your opponents armies, only for the warleader (gently caress you great britain) to peace out without enforcing a single one of your wargoals.
I've had that happen to me and it's kinda fitting with how big of assholes GPs can be (I was alright with Austria being a dick and grabbing Ottoman Bosnia while not pressing my wargoal. That's just what GPs do), but it's just ridiculous that the single wargoal was not enforced. This was a crisis that Prussia pushed into a war, we both won the war, and all we had to do was spend a few more months mopping up and sieging out Hungary. If Prussia would accept a white peace, it should have never let the crisis get that far.

Oh well, I'm running 3 month crises so I just lead the next crisis back into war when the next Hungarian flashpoint crisised out. It worked out for the best since they're in my sphere now.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

SickZip posted:

If only it was possible to say "gently caress you, Great Britain, I'm staying in the war!" whenever the war leader made a peace offer that you wouldn't accept. Yeah, give it a cost*, but it's ridiculous that they can end the war whenever they want to. Especially when you're pulling all the weight. Perhaps give the option to any state that has wargoals the war leader didn't acknowledge? (Though the AI should probably be weighed towards pulling out of the war instead of continuing on its own, more so for non-Great Powers.)

*Relations hit and perhaps a CB against you, with a prestige loss for GB?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I'd go as far as to suggest that any war that a human player is involved in should automatically give war leader to the human player's nation. Paradox already throws us a bone by not making Hawaii insta-annex-able if a human is at the helm.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'd go as far as to suggest that any war that a human player is involved in should automatically give war leader to the human player's nation. Paradox already throws us a bone by not making Hawaii insta-annex-able if a human is at the helm.
Perhaps the option of taking over as war leader at any time? Not sure I would want to always be the war leader and be stuck with a war I can't prosecute at all, especially not ones where I'm acting in the defense of a third state, just because some GP decided that it was too much trouble staying in the war. It would be a pretty simple fix though, compared to getting the AI to do what I wrote above in a semi-sensible fashion.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

It happens much less often in Victoria, but in other Paradox games, I'm constantly accepting call to arms just to please my ally, and proceed to do nothing and wait for them to win. It would suck to have to manage every single war I'm a part of. Having it be an option might be nice, but could probably be far too exploitable.

On that note, Paradox really should make it so that in CK2 and EU4, your allies' opinions of you drop if you enter a war on their request but don't participate (and raise if you do participate). Honoring the alliance on paper is one thing, but actually following through is another.

Beet
Aug 24, 2003
I just noticed that while the localization is all good for the Meiji Restoration decisions themselves, the modifier it gives you is called "Meiji reformation," odd lack of capitalization included.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

Miles Vorkosigan posted:

Could someone help me understand how the markets work in V2? Here's an example of what's confusing me: I am the USCA. I am in the sphere of the USA. I want to make some glass so I look at how glass is doing on the open market. It's not particularly popular, with supply outstripping demand by a dozen or so units. I look at the highest producers of glass and see that #1 is the Chinese Empire with over 500 units produced per day. Aha, I think, because the Chinese Empire has a much lower prestige than I do, so in principle my glass will sell before their glass and therefore all of my glass will sell. But alas, the second I open my glass factroy and my unemployed craftsmen flood in to make glass, I find I'm not selling 80% of what's being made. The factory goes into freefall and promptly closes. What exactly is going on here :confused:

I'm very much a case of the blind leading the blind here, but I don't think the manual explicitly states that higher prestige helps you SELL anything. It does say that higher prestige helps you BUY things - high prestige nations get first dibs on any glass produced, which means their pops and their factories get priority for resources. I still don't have a clue how pops or factories decide who to actually buy from, but I do know that trying to make a factory for a good that has greater global supply than demand doesn't work out often. Anyone know anything more about the mechanics here?

Honestly, I would kill to have a demand tab that breaks down demand so you can analyze things like "Oh hey it looks like most of the customers for my wood are in Russia, I'd better not go to war against them unless I have a very good reason to do so" or "Oh hey people are buying American glass instead of my glass because it's cheaper/they have higher prestige/they're sphere leader/USA USA USA/they're a Great Power and I'm not/whatever, now I know how to fix that."

WhitemageofDOOM
Sep 13, 2010

... It's magic. I ain't gotta explain shit.

Tomn posted:

I still don't have a clue how pops or factories decide who to actually buy from, but I do know that trying to make a factory for a good that has greater global supply than demand doesn't work out often. Anyone know anything more about the mechanics here?

Everything gets an share of world market sales compared to their production, which is why overproduction hurts factories so much it double dips the lost profits. Once from selling less, and once from the price going down.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Oh, ENDING the war isn't the problem with AI war leaders. It's when they make peace with Spain or Montenegro and YOUR ENTIRE ARMY DISAPPEARS that's the loving problem :negative:

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003
How do you make a state a crisis/flashpoint? I've got other nations with my cores, the little flashpoint piece of paper on the terrain view is there, but I've no option to put a national focus on any of them.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

V for Vegas posted:

The Ageod devs have said that if they had another 3 months development time, they could have addressed the engine issues to speed up turn resolution. Although the release date had already been pushed back 6 months and had been in development for years before that. At least it was playable, unlike SOTS2.

Given that every game they make uses the same engine I have to give this claim Ubik levels of credit.

Having bought Rise of Prussia and AJE I can see how those games could become really fun if they were given a proper interface and run through a game engine that wasn't junk. But that won't happen.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

Also, I'd like to add that the forced disarmament works out pretty badly when a third party invades and you still can't build any troops, even to defend yourself :argh:

e: Just for how long does this modifier last? All the truces have expired but I still can't build any troops or ships. And the moment I alt-tab back I can build stuff again :iiam:

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 10:25 on Apr 20, 2013

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

WhitemageofDOOM posted:

Everything gets an share of world market sales compared to their production, which is why overproduction hurts factories so much it double dips the lost profits. Once from selling less, and once from the price going down.

So it's sort of literally a case of "If you build it, it will sell," as long as you can produce more than everybody else? And the only real way of knocking out competition is to starve their factories so they stop production and hopefully shut down for good, giving you the bigger share of the pie? And where do tariffs come into that? Further, how is it decided who buys what from where within internal (sphered) markets?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
On Victoria 2: Is there a way to speed up Casus Belli generation? I'm at the phase of the game where I'm ignoring the infamy cap and just soaking up the containment wars, and I feel like it's a bit silly to have to wait for a CB to be manufactured, even if it's a workaround like manufacturing a Humiliate CB and just adding the Conquest/Acquire State CB later on.

===

I feel like I have a pretty good grasp of Victoria 2 now, but I'm trying to re-learn Ricky since my laptop isn't beefy enough to handle Clausewitz, and I had some questions:

* What affects literacy? Is it as important to make Clergymen in V1 as it is in V2?
* Do the social reforms help? Particularly, I noticed I can enact any of the social reforms from day 1 (as long as I can afford it). Is throwing up Healthcare as powerful as it is in V2?
* For that matter, is it worth liberalizing/socializing for the purposes of attracting immigrants? I've long heard of V1 having wonky immigration to the tune of the American continent being overpowered (and hardcoded to be so?)
* How aggressively should I be converting my POPs into Craftsmen? I suppose if I ignore manual POP splitting this would be "whenever you have spare Farmer/Labourer POPs to convert"

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

V for Vegas posted:

The Ageod devs have said that if they had another 3 months development time, they could have addressed the engine issues to speed up turn resolution. Although the release date had already been pushed back 6 months and had been in development for years before that. At least it was playable, unlike SOTS2.

Sounds doubtful.. Considering

A) they had more time than that to work on it after release, and there was never any significant improvements.

B) the game is coded in delphi.

C) on several levels their systems were not designed for being good for performance. Hello NxN calculations & repeated pathfinding.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I think the AI might be a wee bit too willing to surrender core territory in Crisis negotiations, never mind Austria or the Ottomans I'm talking about Great Britain giving up Cornwall/all of south-west England to France because Austria backed France together with Belgium over some dispute with the Netherlands :psyduck:

Meanwhile, I never get any "sweet deals" from the AI to lure me over to any of their camps during negotiations. You'd think Great Britain might want to approach the remaining "on the fence" Great Powers if things are looking unfavourable in the crisis.

Another thing to have a look at is those constant Jacobin/Communist rebel spirals, where one side will take power but you'll still have hundreds of the other side springing up and switching places every couple of years. I have murdered millions :negative:
(Pretty sure the only large Militancy gain I got is that drat moralistic anti-liquor society modifier, that +0,01 mil gain adds up pretty drat quickly)

My game probably had like 3-4 Great Wars before the turn of the century too...

Pimpmust fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Apr 20, 2013

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

So Heart of Darkness seems to have removed the ability for Prussia to go to war with Austria and remove their influence over nations. :psyduck:

Why do I get the horrible feeling this DLC just made the game ten times harder?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

WMain00 posted:

So Heart of Darkness seems to have removed the ability for Prussia to go to war with Austria and remove their influence over nations. :psyduck:

Why do I get the horrible feeling this DLC just made the game ten times harder?

Twentieth reminder, you need to invent Nationalism & Imperialism first now.

Just got an email that my tax return should be deposited next week, so hopefully I can get into HoD right in time for a patch or Pop of Darkness :woop:

Thanks for the Darkest Hour feedback, I guess in retrospect 1 million men in uniform as Canada isn't that much of a stretch. Any ideas on my troops' terrible performance though? A normal-sized battle in North Africa where I'm pushing against the Italians with the British at my side will see me lose roughly 20k troops -- and kill 20k Italian troops. 1:1 isn't terrible I guess but just from an attrition standpoint I can't keep that up against Italy, which has much more manpower than I could ever hope to have.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

What was the reason that Victoria II got an original score after the first one used classical music? It's as valid a change as any but I'm curious.

statim
Sep 5, 2003
So finally tried this again after playing VicII briefly right after release and its actually way fun. The crisis system is great and recommend try a lower tier Netherlands/Two Sciliys/Spain for max desperate alliance forming/betryal.

Bastastic
Jun 20, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

On Victoria 2: Is there a way to speed up Casus Belli generation? I'm at the phase of the game where I'm ignoring the infamy cap and just soaking up the containment wars, and I feel like it's a bit silly to have to wait for a CB to be manufactured, even if it's a workaround like manufacturing a Humiliate CB and just adding the Conquest/Acquire State CB later on.
Your political party in power's military stance affects the justification speed and there are also random events that gives a +25% or -25% speed bonus.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Arbite posted:

What was the reason that Victoria II got an original score after the first one used classical music? It's as valid a change as any but I'm curious.

All Paradox games since EU3, when they've hired their own composer, do that.

Littlefinger
Oct 13, 2012
HoI2 already had an original score.

Is there a quick and easy way to get sphered as Japan? Or should I just go with early Meiji Restoration? I always get killed by reactionaries, but that might just be my infamy.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

uPen posted:

Yeah, I don't understand it at all; AJE is brilliant. Maybe people just don't buy AGEOD on steam, so they decided not to take it?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
HoD is great. Just finished my first game as Sweden and for once Europe looks a lot different than it used to do at the AHD-endgame stage. France, Austria and Italy has been duking it out in different configurations over the years, quite a lot of small nations has formed (and in some cases disappeared, e.g. Poland) and I've managed to intervene to protect my protégé Hungary from Austria and the now deceased Romania. The new colonization system is fun and tying it to your navy really forces you to keep your technology levels up vis-a-vi naval bases and ships.
A peek at Europe at the end

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

Star posted:

HoD is great. Just finished my first game as Sweden and for once Europe looks a lot different than it used to do at the AHD-endgame stage. France, Austria and Italy has been duking it out in different configurations over the years, quite a lot of small nations has formed (and in some cases disappeared, e.g. Poland) and I've managed to intervene to protect my protégé Hungary from Austria and the now deceased Romania. The new colonization system is fun and tying it to your navy really forces you to keep your technology levels up vis-a-vi naval bases and ships.

Why didn't you bother unifying Scandinavia?

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib
I tried to sphere Denmark for decades but the UK banned me every time I got above 50 in influence and I was too chicken to go to war with them over Denmark. I probably should have tried to form a grand alliance against them but I was mostly interested in seeing how the world would turn out at the end of the period.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

Friend Commuter posted:

Why didn't you bother unifying Scandinavia?

Sweden has a far better flag :sweden:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Star posted:

Look at plucky little Estonia there, keeping a lonely watch against the Russian hordes to the east :eesti:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Fintilgin posted:

Yeah, it's a shame, because PoN seemed really interesting, but there was no way in hell I was going to play it with the insanely slow turn speeds.

Trust me this is a good thing because PoN is a horrible piece of poo poo game and here's why:

Those slow turn speeds are annoying right, like real drat annoying? Yeah, actually they're worse than that, you see, they are so drat annoying that the Devs haven't tested if their models produce a game that still seems vaguely realistic/fun/sensical after a decade or two of gameplay... because it would take them far too long to do this. So this game that starts in 1850 was never actually, you know, tested, to see if it'd create a world by 1900 that wasn't utterly and idiotically broken. They made all these cool systems that sound nice on paper and never actually ran them a bunch of times to see what the results would be, because they simply physically could not do this. Guess the chance that this game is not simply a horrible piece of trash?

Basically imagine the HoI3 original release weather system, except in every part of the gameplay systems. Then run away from this game, and stay away as far as you can.

Edit: oh but hey on the bright side, you probably would never notice just how broken all these systems are either, since it'd take you years to play a couple decades due to the slow turn speeds. :v:

Orange Devil fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Apr 20, 2013

• Locked thread