Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

People keep on talking away like a terrorist bomber's mindset is ever going to make sense to them after we argue about it enough. Not enough evidence... :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ethanol posted:

People keep on talking away like a terrorist bomber's mindset is ever going to make sense to them after we argue about it enough.
His inputs can make sense to us though, even if his brain remains a black box. That's somewhat useful, I suppose.

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp
There's also this, tweeted about a month before the bombings. He's third (fourth? can't tell if that's another person behind) from the right. Full-size the photo and check out the vanity plate on the car on the left.

bonestructure fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 20, 2013

Segata Sanshiro
Sep 10, 2011

we can live for nothing
baby i don't care

lose me like the ocean
feel the motion

:coolfish:

the kawaiiest posted:

The tweets are creepy as hell actually because they're so... normal.

Yeah the guy is just so loving aloof about it. I think maybe he really is just a total psycho fucknut. His big brother was the religious one with the chip on his shoulder about America and mentioned his plan and Dzhokhar was probably like "yeah bro!" because hey, blowing people up is fun times.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
He was laying in a boat, bleeding out. Honestly, I'd be shocked if he had enough energy to find a new hiding spot even if he wanted to.

Your Weird Uncle
Jan 16, 2006
Boneless Rusto Thrash.

Feranon posted:

Yeah the guy is just so loving aloof about it. I think maybe he really is just a total psycho fucknut. His big brother was the religious one with the chip on his shoulder about America and mentioned his plan and Dzhokhar was probably like "yeah bro!" because hey, blowing people up is fun times.

case closed

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

bonestructure posted:

There's also this, tweeted about a month before the bombings. He's third (fourth? can't tell if that's another person behind) from the right. Full-size the photo and check out the vanity plate on the car on the left.

I am really doubtful that the plate says "Terrorists #1". Nobody is that stupid and someone was bound to notice or say something.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

bonestructure posted:

I saw that but then remembered I did something similar because I was a poo poo head kid. Not really damning to me.

HauntedRobot
Jun 22, 2002

an excellent mod
a simple map to my heart
now give me tilt shift

bonestructure posted:

Terrorista hashtag 1

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

His inputs can make sense to us though, even if his brain remains a black box. That's somewhat useful, I suppose.

His inputs? You have his ambiguous twitter account. Good luck with that man. I hope people someday will try to understand my real life actions through my SA ramblings. "Wait, he said something about loving chickens!? What is this GOATSE? Sadistic gently caress!"

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ethanol posted:

His inputs? You have his ambiguous twitter account. Good luck with that man. I hope people someday will try to understand my real life actions through my SA ramblings. "Wait, he said something about loving chickens!?"
No I mean, by asking him. Assuming he survives and is at all cooperative.

Also those are outputs not inputs.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

HauntedRobot posted:

Terrorista hashtag 1

Googling that turns up that this was actually the car of someone they knew. Hrm. From the Daily Mail.

Subliminal Sauce
Apr 6, 2010

Spreading freedom and spreading it thick; that's just a thing us right-wing nutjobs do!
He might have run over his brother with a sentiment of: "gently caress you, big bro! How the gently caress did I let you get me into this? gently caress!"
Guess we'll have to wait and see.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Also, has anyone else noticed the fucktards on Facebook telling people to "do your own research!" while spouting conspiracy crap are the ones who do the least research. Like, seriously, don't tell me the government was claiming it was Saudis while calling people out for trusting the media too much, you're just making yourself look bad.

Gravybong
Apr 24, 2007

Smokin' weed all day. All I do is smoke weed. Every day of my life it's all I do. I don't give a FUCK! Weed.
Is "cooked" regional slang for New England college stoners? I know tons of kids who talk like that/refer to everything as compared to types of weed ("This weather is mids" "This mac and cheese is kush, bro!!") and they're all from here. Some of y'all seem to be thinking he was referring to literally cooking his victims.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

bonestructure posted:

I'm still seeing "Turbodrifts".

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Stare-Out posted:

I'm still seeing "Turbodrifts".

I'm seeing a 1024x768 image with jpg artifacts and compression artifacts from Imgur. Is that seriously the best quality image of it there is?

EDIT: VVV That's really not much clearer. I could see it being both ways, but its stupid to go "It must say 'Whatever'!" from an image that lovely.

A Fancy 400 lbs fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 20, 2013

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Wildlife Analysis posted:

I am really doubtful that the plate says "Terrorists #1". Nobody is that stupid and someone was bound to notice or say something.

He tweeted the picture March 15th. It hasn't been altered, if that's what you mean.

https://twitter.com/J_tsar/status/312768270031785986/photo/1

The license plate is a stupid pun. "Terrorists #1" - Terrorists Won. He never says it's his car, it probably isn't, it's just college guys posing for a funny photo. But chances are that just a month before the bombing the brothers' plans were already in the works. It's just the mindset again... how could he be that callous, or was he that much in denial? It seems like in some ways, with the photo and the tweets, it was all a game to him.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

No I mean, by asking him. Assuming he survives and is at all cooperative.

Also those are outputs not inputs.

You can't even come to conclusions based on photographic evidence and you expect to trust a word that comes out of his mouth?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

His smile as he walks away could be a simple smirk for what he thought was a "prank" at a major event that then turned out to be an act of terror by his older brother. Bomb goes off, then adrenaline kicks in. He begins to panic, questions what is going on and how his brother could cause such a thing. He gets fed poo poo by his brother like "don't worry they won't catch us". Sees his face on the news, gets grabbed by his brother to book it, etc.

This is honestly my biggest fear. I hope that doesn't turn out to be the case. I don't think people could properly deal with this. I really hope we find conclusive evidence that he is a monster just so the nation could heal faster. People like their stories black and white. If it goes down this shades of grey route, people are going to get frustrated and demand action. :(

I haven't heard anything that points to anything definitive. He parents are in shock. His friends and school mates keep talking about how smart and normal he was. His supposed tweets are normal as hell. Is there anything that at least gives a glimpse he could be a monster?

I'm as sympathetic towards that kid as anyone you'll meet but do you seriously believe he had absolutely no idea at all what he was doing?

I'm definitely in the camp that he was roped into it, but let's be real here. I think that all his tweets post bombing show is how easy it is to disassociate yourself from your action when they're indirect like this. You didn't see that child die, you didn't pull the trigger, it's much easier to try and ignore the consequences because of that.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

No, I agree with him actually. Little Bro seems more like the "hell yeah dude, let's gently caress poo poo up!" type while his older brother was the more terrorist-y mindset type (for lack of a better word)- really extremist version of Islam. He probably managed to talk his little brother into going along with his plan because *insert X reason why with a lot of "deep" radical Islamic bullshit thrown in* that appealed to him for whatever reason.

Unfortunately, radical Islam (as with any radical belief system) is not something that can just be "fought". The thing I would like to see is a more fierce backlash against radical Muslims by the more mainstream Muslims (including their treatment of women/Jews/Christians/atheists/LGBT). But there won't be, because many Muslims in the Middle East are afraid to speak out against terrorists for fear of retribution.

Captain Mog fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 20, 2013

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

ethanol posted:

You can't even come to conclusions based on photographic evidence and you expect to trust a word that comes out of his mouth?
I assume that psychologists and stuff are skilled at figuring out how earlier events in his life led to the things he did based on what he says, it's not a matter of trusting him or not.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I wish people would stop calling him a kid/child.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

bonestructure posted:

He tweeted the picture March 15th. It hasn't been altered, if that's what you mean.

https://twitter.com/J_tsar/status/312768270031785986/photo/1

The license plate is a stupid pun. "Terrorists #1" - Terrorists Won. He never says it's his car, it probably isn't, it's just college guys posing for a funny photo. But chances are that just a month before the bombing the brothers' plans were already in the works. It's just the mindset again... how could he be that callous, or was he that much in denial? It seems like in some ways, with the photo and the tweets, it was all a game to him.

Nah, I was thinking it was maybe something else. It is hard to tell what it actually says. According to the Daily Mail (not reliable) it is a BMW with Terrorista #1 on the front and that the owners of it were arrested today.

Pycckuu
Sep 13, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Hey what if, like, the dude isn't crazy at all and just really hates Americans? Mental disorders are not always the reason people do bad things, goons.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

They don't need "evidence" that he was like, crazy and interested in killing people, or something. If he says "I thought the bombs were smoke bombs!" it carries about as much weight as someone who murdered someone with a gun saying "I thought guns shot rainbows that tickle!" Oh well then, clearly we cannot prove anything, you are free to go!

They have evidence that he planted a bomb. The bomb killed people. That's pretty much all that's needed.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

=/ Those tweets teeter either way. But it does at least make me worry less. I really hope some concrete evidence comes to light to really pin this on him. I don't want there to be any reasonable doubt. That is what we are supposed to judge people on in the USA.

The "fake story" tweet is bizarre. I don't know what to think of it.

And the "stay safe out there" as though he didn't know the reason why people needed to stay safe

COUNTIN THE BILLIES fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Apr 20, 2013

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Requested_Username posted:

I'm as sympathetic towards that kid as anyone you'll meet but do you seriously believe he had absolutely no idea at all what he was doing?

The degree of his punishment should match the degree of his involvement. Prove he knew what he was doing at the time of the act. I hope the evidence is out there in FBI's hands, but you can't simply through judgement calls like this out there without tangible evidence.

Darth123123 posted:

He's under 21, clear not mature, and still in school. He's a kid.

beejay posted:

They don't need "evidence" that he was like, crazy and interested in killing people, or something. If he says "I thought the bombs were smoke bombs!" it carries about as much weight as someone who murdered someone with a gun saying "I thought guns shot rainbows that tickle!" Oh well then, clearly we cannot prove anything, you are free to go!

They have evidence that he planted a bomb. The bomb killed people. That's pretty much all that's needed.

If you were told by your boss to bring a locked briefcase to a job site and leave it on the receptionists desk and it blew the gently caress up, are you saying you're involvement should automatically be assumed you meant for this to happen? Dude was 19 and could have easily just listened to his brother. gently caress he could have thought he was delivering poo poo in a dead drop (okay maybe not but without evidence its all speculation).

virtualboyCOLOR fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Apr 20, 2013

bonestructure
Sep 25, 2008

by Ralp

Nah, I was thinking it was maybe something else. It is hard to tell what it actually says. According to the Daily Mail (not reliable) it is a BMW with Terrorista #1 on the front and that the owners of it were arrested today.

For what, bad taste? :v:

Link to all of his photos in situ, in case anyone is curious. https://twitter.com/J_tsar/media/grid

Darth123123 posted:

I've been calling him a kid because he's thirty years younger than me. :corsair: He is a kid. I don't think I've seen anyone call him a child.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

The degree of his punishment should match the degree of his involvement. Prove he knew what he was doing at the time of the act. I hope the evidence is out there in FBI's hands, but you can't simply through judgement calls like this out there without tangible evidence.

That's... not really how it works in a case like this.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Pycckuu posted:

Hey what if, like, the dude isn't crazy at all and just really hates Americans? Mental disorders are not always the reason people do bad things, goons.

I think it is a bit premature to say that he "hates Americans" and seems like an attempt to Otherize him. Did James Holmes just "hate Americans", what about Jared Loughner?

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Maybe he really hated long distance runners.

big duck equals goose
Nov 7, 2006

by XyloJW
Brazilians I play dota with tell me all the time they hate Americans, but I don't think they bomb marathons.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

I think it is a bit premature to say that he "hates Americans" and seems like an attempt to Otherize him. Did James Holmes just "hate Americans", what about Jared Loughner?

He doesn't need to be "otherized". He, and everyone else who commits acts of terrorism/mass murder, already are others by their own volition.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Pycckuu posted:

I agree with this. If he is mentally ill, hopefully he gets help and can someway help contribute to the rebuilding process, but just because someone does a horrible thing doesn't mean they're mentally ill.

EDIT: I'm not agreeing the reason had to be "Hates Americans", just that he could have reasons besides being mentally ill.

Taliaquin
Dec 13, 2009

Turtle flu
Morbid question time -- the report on the older brother's death earlier indicates that a bomb detonated in his hand, but the Washington Post article on the doctor's statement says that his arms and legs were intact and he wasn't "blown to pieces." Weak explosive? Also, if he did lob a pressure cooker bomb at police (didn't a goon calculate that thing would weigh between 25-40 pounds?), how did it "detonate harmlessly," as the article puts it?

Requested_Username posted:

I'm definitely in the camp that he was roped into it, but let's be real here. I think that all his tweets post bombing show is how easy it is to disassociate yourself from your action when they're indirect like this. You didn't see that child die, you didn't pull the trigger, it's much easier to try and ignore the consequences because of that.
Didn't the FBI statement say that both brothers lingered a moment and calmly examined the carnage? I could swear that I read they saw them doing so before running away on that surveillance footage. In addition, he's going to have a hard time explaining how he could set that bag down so close to a child (whom he had to have been able to see), knowing what that bomb was capable of doing, instead of immediately alerting someone. Older brother isn't visible in those pictures, right? They separated to plant the bombs? So I do think that, even with talk of fraternal manipulation, there are some moments where the responsibility falls firmly and inarguably on his shoulders.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
The key question I'm wondering: why release the hostage?

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

SlenderWhore posted:

He doesn't need to be "otherized". He, and everyone else who commits acts of terrorism/mass murder, already are others by their own volition.

Yeah, but why do people who are Muslim "hate America/Americans" and white people only have mental illnesses? What is the difference that I am not seeing here?

e:

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I agree with this. If he is mentally ill, hopefully he gets help and can someway help contribute to the rebuilding process, but just because someone does a horrible thing doesn't mean they're mentally ill.

Do you not see the issue with claiming an olive-skinned Muslim "hates America"?

Vhak lord of hate
Jun 6, 2008

I AM DRINK THE BLOOD OF JESUS

Pycckuu posted:

Well one of them WAS like entirely American so I don't think that's the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

virtualboyCOLOR posted:

If you were told by your boss to bring a locked briefcase to a job site and leave it on the receptionists desk and it blew the gently caress up, are you saying you're involvement should automatically be assumed you meant for this to happen? Dude was 19 and could have easily just listened to his brother. gently caress he could have thought he was delivering poo poo in a dead drop (okay maybe not but without evidence its all speculation).

Gonna assume you are trolling at this point, but if a person honestly blew a bunch of people up and didn't mean to, they would probably turn themselves in as soon as possible, rather than participating in further murders and maimings while running from the law.

• Locked thread