Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Wildlife Analysis posted:

The issue is that no one knows their belief system for sure. We especially do not know the younger's. Terrorists, fine, but why? It is something that has to be answered.

And what would you do with that "answer"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

Fog Tripper posted:

And what would you do with that "answer"?

In terms of dealing with him? There is very little you can do. He should be going to jail for the rest of his life. It may help us understand why this might happen with a 19 year old who seems to be pretty much an average American guy, though. If the answer is that he hated America because of a perceived oppression of Islam, then it becomes about what we don't do with that info (i.e. harass Muslims). And if he was part of a cell, then it becomes about attempting to prevent this kind of event repeating.

Do we really need to start stereotyping Texans?
VVV

Aves Maria! fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 21, 2013

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Lolie posted:

I think many Americans are largely unaware of the extent of dislike for the US which exists even in nations which are allies. I remember some research being conducted on attitudes towards the US not long after 11 September 2001 and many Americans being genuinely shocked at how their nation was regarded by the outside world in general and not just "rogue" nations controlled by dictators with a religious or other ideological agenda. Hell, up until 11 September 2001, I think it had been a long time since many Americans even considered the question of whether the US was hated, let alone to what extent and why.

The stereotype of ugly Americans abroad largely comes from Texans abroad, according to international friends. Loud, trashy, smoking, drunk rednecks, littering everywhere and acting like they own the place.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Petey posted:

At public schools. I went to UMass, and our cops were employees of the state. Smith's "public safety" officers, on the other hand, were basically mall cops. I don't know where MIT falls on this spectrum. The only time I've ever interacted with them is staffing events. The campus is very peaceful.
Although its a private university, MIT officers are full sworn police officers who are armed and have arrest powers. They are considered special state police officers and are also sworn in as county sheriff deputies. The CP deal with not only regular campus stuff but a lot of spillover crime from the surrounding area so they do have experience with violent crime.

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011
As an aside, will the amount he'll be charged with draw out the trail longer? Maybe they'll try to minimize or drop some for the sake of brevity/getting him sentenced quickly.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

AsInHowe posted:

The stereotype of ugly Americans abroad largely comes from Texans abroad, according to international friends. Loud, trashy, smoking, drunk rednecks, littering everywhere and acting like they own the place.
Not that I was particularly presenting it as a negative, but I told people in Japan that the stereotypes they have about Americans are mostly the same stereotypes we have of Texans.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 21, 2013

RainMaker
Oct 25, 2012

This is me every time you post.

SlenderWhore posted:

As an aside, will the amount he'll be charged with draw out the trail longer? Maybe they'll try to minimize or drop some for the sake of brevity/getting him sentenced quickly.

I guess if what they charge him will get him the rest of his natural life in prison then it doesn't matter.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Not that I was particularly presenting it as a negative, but I told people in Japan that the stereotypes they have about Americans are mostly the same stereotypes we have of Texans.

And of course they're just as ridiculous and generally untrue. Americans are as well behaved abroad as any other group, and any dumb poo poo is as likely to come from any other state as it is Texas.

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Good, smart analysis:

http://www.juancole.com/2013/04/fathers-sons-chechnya.html

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

AsInHowe posted:

I'll see if I can find the research. It wasn't about attitudes to Americans abroad, it was about attitudes towards the US as a nation. A huge amount of the negative attitudes related to what was perceived as "bullying" or unwarranted "interference" by the US in the affairs of other nations, including allied nations.

I recall that the thing people most admired about the US was its "can do" attitude and its innovation, but that overall the responses were negative and in more than a "wouldn't want to live there" way.

I'm seeing a bit of that attitude resurface here now with the return of US military/intelligence bases to Australia and yet another trade agreement which would effectively impose US copyright laws on other nations being negotiated. It mightn't rise to the level of active hostility, but I'm definitely hearing a lot more "gently caress off America" sentiment now than I've heard for a long time.

It's much easier for me to wrap my head around why an outsider with a grudge against the US might commit an act of terrorism than it is for me to wrap my head around the possibility that this was an act of domestic terrorism based solely on discontent with one's own government. Domestic terrorism is something I really don't understand unless those in power are being directly targeted (a la Guy Fawkes). Batshit crazy seems almost comprehensible by comparison.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Apr 21, 2013

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

Lolie posted:

I think many Americans are largely unaware of the extent of dislike for the US which exists even in nations which are allies. I remember some research being conducted on attitudes towards the US not long after 11 September 2001 and many Americans being genuinely shocked at how their nation was regarded by the outside world in general and not just "rogue" nations controlled by dictators with a religious or other ideological agenda.

I think a lot of that comes from the mythological status most of our society has assigned to World War II. Bring up pretty much any argument against US foreign policy by another nation, ESPECIALLY an allied nation, and you'll have dozens of howling pundits and millions of regular people crying about how we saved everyone else's rear end in ww2. How daaaaare anyone not agree with us now!

Lots of folks don't just see this country as a superpower, they see us as a superhero. Under that view, it's totally inconceivable that anyone might have a problem with us. They'd have to be crazy or evil, or maybe both.

the runs formula
Feb 23, 2013

by Lowtax

Lolie posted:

I think many Americans are largely unaware of the extent of dislike for the US which exists even in nations which are allies. I remember some research being conducted on attitudes towards the US not long after 11 September 2001 and many Americans being genuinely shocked at how their nation was regarded by the outside world in general and not just "rogue" nations controlled by dictators with a religious or other ideological agenda. Hell, up until 11 September 2001, I think it had been a long time since many Americans even considered the question of whether the US was hated, let alone to what extent and why.

Do you have a chart or graph of this so I can put it in a spreadsheet?

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
I was on my way back from a (disappointing) trip to the Alchemist brewery in VT, and saw a crapload of cop cars along 93N between Wilmington and Boston for Collier, it was pretty cool. Those police dudes can have their day and then it's over to the courts! Please tell me :doink: still exists.

Woman
Oct 31, 2010
I've seen a picture floating around on facebook of White Hat at the marathon in a crowd with what looks like Martin Richard in the foreground watching the runners. Anyone know if this picture is real/not photoshopped? It is really horrifying.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Woman posted:

I've seen a picture floating around on facebook of White Hat at the marathon in a crowd with what looks like Martin Richard in the foreground watching the runners. Anyone know if this picture is real/not photoshopped? It is really horrifying.

This one is real.

[

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 21, 2013

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

pzy posted:

I was on my way back from a (disappointing) trip to the Alchemist brewery in VT, and saw a crapload of cop cars along 93N between Wilmington and Boston for Collier, it was pretty cool. Those police dudes can have their day and then it's over to the courts! Please tell me :doink: still exists.

What was disappointing about the alchemist? I mean, what were you expecting?

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

gfanikf posted:

This one is real.

[thefuckingpicture]

Stop posting this loving picture. The gently caress is wrong with you people?

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
Please don't post that picture. :(

pzy
Feb 20, 2004

Da Boom!
Oh Heady Topper was great, they had just run out of any to buy :P

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I have just read that they have decided not to give him his Miranda Rights before they question him.

I am sorry, but I do not agree with this at all. Not only is it against the our very laws, but it is stupid as hell. I mean lets just say that they go through with this and he survives. I am pretty sure that technically he could walk due to improper procedure being carried out. And really, this is America. We have laws and rights for a reason. You can't just ignore them just because of public outcry.

And really, how is this any different than:
-the unibomber
-The Oklahoma City bomber
-The Aurora Colorado shooter
-Various letter bombers

None of these crimes had the feds infringing upon the rights of the perpetrator, and the first three were far more deadly than the Boston bombing.

And now we have John McCain and some other Republican representative calling for him to be tried as an enemy combatant. What the hell? How is there any justification for that at all? This is an act of violence, not an act of war. It also wasn't an act of revolution or espionage.

If you infringe upon the rights of this guy then what is stopping people ignoring these laws in other cases such as bank robberies or other crimes?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

pzy posted:

Oh Heady Topper was great, they had just run out of any to buy :P

Ah, well that would be very disappointing indeed!

COUNTIN THE BILLIES
Jan 8, 2006

by Ion Helmet
Yeah that pic is worse than any gorey aftermath could be.

And for what it's worth:

quote:

911 Operator @911BUFF
BOSTON: AUTHORITIES CONFIRM MORE PEOPLE ARE INVOLVED IN MARATHON ATTACK AND HUNTING MULTIPLE ISLAMIC PEOPLE. #911BUFF

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

jadebullet posted:

So I have just read that they have decided not to give him his Miranda Rights before they question him.

I am sorry, but I do not agree with this at all. Not only is it against the our very laws, but it is stupid as hell. I mean lets just say that they go through with this and he survives. I am pretty sure that technically he could walk due to improper procedure being carried out. And really, this is America. We have laws and rights for a reason. You can't just ignore them just because of public outcry.

-the unibomber
-Various letter bombers

None of these crimes had the feds infringing upon the rights of the perpetrator, and the first three were far more deadly than the Boston bombing.

And now we have John McCain and some other Republican representative calling for him to be tried as an enemy combatant. What the hell? How is there any justification for that at all? This is an act of violence, not an act of war. It also wasn't an act of revolution or espionage.

If you infringe upon the rights of this guy then what is stopping people ignoring these laws in other cases such as bank robberies or other crimes?

None of these had the suspects throwing bombs at the cops trying to arrest them.

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

jadebullet posted:

-the unibomber
-Various letter bombers

What on earth are you talking about? You have literally no idea what miranda warnings are or how they are applied. Go read a wikipedia article on it. I mean my god its been explained literally dozens of times in this thread. He is being treated like any other American. He is not being deprived of any rights.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/hierarchy-brothers-question-marathon-bombing

Interesting details here

quote:

Anne Kilzer of Belmont would go to the Tsarnaev home for regular facials from the boys' mother, Zubeidat. She said the older brother was a "macho guy," whereas Dzhokhar seemed more cerebral.

The few times that Tamerlan was there, he would wave his mother off when she tried to introduce him. "He sort of swaggered through," she said. "Sort of a man-of-the-house type."

In a blog entry, Kilzer's daughter, Alyssa, suggested that the mother became increasingly religious as their acquaintance progressed. For instance, she began wearing a hijab, the traditional Muslim headscarf.

"She started to refuse to see boys that had gone through puberty, as she had consulted a religious figure and he had told her it was sacrilegious," Alyssa Kilzer wrote. "She was often fasting. She told me that she had cried for days when her oldest son, Tamerlan, told her that he wanted to move out, going against her culture's tradition of the son staying in the house with the mother until marriage."

She said the mother also expressed some rather strident views about the U.S. government. But it was difficult to know who was influencing whom in the household.

"During this facial session she started quoting a conspiracy theory, telling me that she thought 9-11 was purposefully created by the American government to make America hate Muslims," Alyssa Kilzer wrote. "'It's real,' she said. 'My son knows all about it. You can read on the internet.'"

Kilzer didn't say to which son the mother was referring. Kilzer, who is studying in Scotland, could not immediately be reached.
One of the brothers' neighbors, Albrecht Ammon, said he had a bizarre encounter with Tamerlan in a pizza shop about three months ago. The older brother argued with him about U.S. foreign policy, the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, and religion.

He said Tamerlan referred to the Bible as a "cheap copy" of the Quran, and that many of this country's wars "are based upon the Bible — how it's an excuse to invade other countries."

"He had nothing against the American people," Ammon said. "He had something against the American government."

edit: bolded part sounds like pretty textbook radicalization

Xandu fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Apr 21, 2013

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown
Does it even matter? He was unconscious when they put him into the ambulance and even if he was not he was bleeding out. It would not have made any difference.

Fuck This Puzzle
Mar 22, 2013

cheesy anime pizza undresses you with pepperoni eyes

jadebullet posted:

You really haven't read any of the explanations for this.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

jadebullet posted:

I am sorry, but I do not agree with this at all. Not only is it against the our very laws, but it is stupid as hell. I mean lets just say that they go through with this and he survives. I am pretty sure that technically he could walk due to improper procedure being carried out. ...

This has been covered at length in both this thread and the one in DnD. There's no chance he's going to walk on improper procedure, his rights are still intact, and in any case he probably wasn't in any condition to understand anything at the point of his capture anyhow.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

jadebullet posted:

-the unibomber
-Various letter bombers

This has already been discussed. Not reading his Miranda rights doesn't mean that he doesn't have those rights. The initial interrogation isn't about getting evidence, it's about finding out if he has any other bombs rigged to go, or accomplices who are going to bomb things right now. It is a public safety issue. Likely he will get Miranda read to him when they actually question him in regards to the actual crime.

e. and yeah, none of those other guys were caught after a firefight in which they threw bombs at the cops.

platedlizard fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Apr 21, 2013

ClemenSalad
Oct 25, 2012

by Lowtax

Wildlife Analysis posted:

Does it even matter? He was unconscious when they put him into the ambulance and even if he was not he was bleeding out. It would not made any difference.

It bothers me because people who don't understand what a miranda warning is outside of Law and order and are going on "gently caress this oppressive country" rants.

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

bonestructure posted:

The car was located and the friends really were arrested (I thought that was a joke earlier.) It reads Terrorista #1. (Sorry for linking to the Daily Mail, they're the only ones I found with clear photos.)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2312123/Boston-latest-Terrorista-1-license-plate-friends-Boston-bomber-arrested-female.html

afaik that is the corsairs' current logo so this photoshop at least had some attention to detail

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Bizarre to say the least.

Former Everything
Nov 28, 2007

Is this right?

jadebullet posted:

-the unibomber
-Various letter bombers

You are dumb and this post is dumb.

The limited questioning that may or may not be done prior to his Miranda rights being read will, if conducted, be very narrow. Any extensive questioning concerning the details of this specific incident to be used in court will be conducted after his Miranda rights are read.

Aves Maria!
Jul 26, 2008

Maybe I'll drown

ClemenSalad posted:

It bothers me because people who don't understand what a miranda warning is outside of Law and order and are going on "gently caress this oppressive country" rants.

Well a lot of these same people think that not giving the Miranda is "withholding rights" from people, so...

e: Also, that article Xandu posted is interesting. That seems to suggest that the influence came from the mother, not the brother.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

ClemenSalad posted:

People who would say that about a guy who blew up a marathon, shot two cops, carjacked a guy, and threw bombs at the cops trying arrest them, are really loving stupid and would likely say that anyway.

edit: by the way, after writing all that out I'm really impressed that the cops and FBI really did try to take them both in alive, and managed to actually get one. They were calling in for "less lethal" rifles that night (ie, rubber bullets, beanbags, etc) and flashbanged him to submission despite him firing on them. They had a really good response to the situation and the FBI and Boston BD deserve a ton of praise for how they handled it.

platedlizard fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Apr 21, 2013

Captain Mog
Jun 17, 2011

jadebullet posted:

-the unibomber
-Various letter bombers

Really?

You literally think that he would "walk out" after the events of the past week because of a "GOTCHA!" legal loophole?

You honestly, sincerely think that?

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

platedlizard posted:

This has already been discussed. Not reading his Miranda rights doesn't mean that he doesn't have those rights. The initial interrogation isn't about getting evidence, it's about finding out if he has any other bombs rigged to go, or accomplices who are going to bomb things right now. It is a public safety issue. Likely he will get Miranda read to him when they actually question him in regards to the actual crime.

e. and yeah, none of those other guys were caught after a firefight in which they threw bombs at the cops.

And it's also been explained like a jillion times, even if he never gets Mirandized and/or the judge rules he should have been, he doesn't walk. Anything they learned would just be thrown out. Any and all of the physical evidence they have against him would be fine and admissible

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Sorry I just came back to the thread, and this Miranda rights thing seems really weird.

Why don't they just read him his Miranda rights? Isn't that supposed to happen RIGHT when you get arrested? Why are they explicitly NOT doing this?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Read the thread jesus christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

It's official. Goons can't read good.

• Locked thread