Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OH NO MY DICK
Feb 24, 2013

Forums Jesus

McDowell posted:

China and America have strange similarities and differences in their media landscape

I like how closely the video description mirrors the immigration bullshit in the US.

video posted:

why they came to HK but dont work,dont pay tax but took money from our government !! We dont need you guys came to Our "dog" place, Go BACK to your area and stay there...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sluggo is mad
Jan 14, 2012

Buglord

DongsMcMurphy posted:

For a site that claims to want to spread the truth as much as possible, they sure as gently caress don't want anyone to read it. Who the hell does their site design?

Sunil is one of the many sad stories to come out of the whole Redit/4chan debacle. If you look at the "Sunny is missing" pages you quickly figure out he was a good guy. If you read the posts from his friends/family you quickly grow to like them. The fact that they may now have to endure shouts of "BILDERBERG!" at his funeral is pretty loving lovely. Also, I found the infowars article because I've been googling Sunil's name everyday for updates. If friends or family do this, they will see this/these articles as well.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

DongsMcMurphy posted:

I like how closely the video description mirrors the immigration bullshit in the US.

You'll find that anti-immigration sentiments the world over are pretty much the same.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'

argondamn posted:

Are you guys aware of this crazy poo poo by Glenn Beck?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-oaVKvtP5M

He's claiming this was an inside job, that he has evidence, and that he's giving Obama til Monday to come clean.

Hmm, I need to get rich off of truthers too before it's too late. Maybe a 50 page book with a bunch of stuff copied and pasted from the internet.

DUNCAN DONUTS
Mar 27, 2010

by XyloJW
It reminds me of that scene in A Beautiful Mind where John Nash's wife steps out back into his shed and he has all these newspaper articles strung together in a web, by string. Any tenuous connection between events becomes rock-solid evidence of causality and an all-encompassing order that Illuminati/Reptoids/Jews control.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

4246 essentially says that such a person can only continue to be detained if their release would "create a substantial risk of bodily injury to another person or serious damage to property of another". It's also a bit inadequate in this case as it presumes that the "mental disease or defect" is what creates the risk of harm, whereas in the case of someone who has sustained a serious brain injury after the commission of a crime it could actually lessen that risk. 4248 relates to "a sexually dangerous person".

I'm sure there must be precedents for this, despite the Code itself reading as though someone incompetent to understand the proceedings against them cannot be detained indefinitely unless they represent an ongoing threat to the safety or property of others.

Let's hope this guy's mental faculties are fully intact and the issue of his competence to stand trial never arises.

OH NO MY DICK
Feb 24, 2013

Forums Jesus

ayekappy posted:

Hmm, I need to get rich off of truthers too before it's too late. Maybe a 50 page book with a bunch of stuff copied and pasted from the internet.

Do a conspiracy podcast, advertise gold, guns, and survival equipment. You will make literal zillions.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

DUNCAN DONUTS posted:

It reminds me of that scene in A Beautiful Mind where John Nash's wife steps out back into his shed and he has all these newspaper articles strung together in a web, by string. Any tenuous connection between events becomes rock-solid evidence of causality and an all-encompassing order that Illuminati/Reptoids/Jews control.
And then he almost lets his son drown while talking about mind control rays or whatever and his wife gets the gently caress out of dodge. There's probably an analogy to be made there too.

Oh yeah, we are the wife and innocent people are the baby but we can't leave because they are anonymous internet people and are everywhere and nowhere.

beatlegs
Mar 11, 2001

BlackIronHeart posted:

This is really what being a conspiracy theorist boils down to. They badly want to be smarter than everyone else so they 'expose' fictional plots and secrets and say everyone else is just too dumb to see it.

Either that or they're just bored with the way things work in reality. There's not enough drama in day to day life, not enough intrigue, so they embrace a fantasy world that gives them excitement. Basically they're unwilling to deal with the real world, for whatever reason.

DUNCAN DONUTS
Mar 27, 2010

by XyloJW

Samurai Sanders posted:

And then he almost lets his son drown while talking about mind control rays or whatever and his wife gets the gently caress out of dodge. There's probably an analogy to be made there too.

Oh yeah, we are the wife and innocent people are the baby but we can't leave because they are anonymous internet people and are everywhere and nowhere.

Wrong, if you believe that 9/11, the Boston Marathon Bombing, the Newton "massacre," the Holocaust, and the moon landing weren't hoaxes, then you're a sheeple, just like the rest of them.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

beatlegs posted:

Either that or they're just bored with the way things work in reality. There's not enough drama in day to day life, not enough intrigue, so they embrace a fantasy world that gives them excitement. Basically they're unwilling to deal with the real world, for whatever reason.

Carl Sagan began one of his books by describing how sad this was, in the context of people who believe in alien UFOs and pseudo-science. The world is full of excitement, intrigue, and wonder just as interesting and often more interesting than made-up stories.

Novo
May 13, 2003

Stercorem pro cerebro habes
Soiled Meat

Sucrose posted:

God good I can't stand people sometimes.

Someone I know: "Did you hear, they didn't read the Boston bomber his Miranda rights, so they're going to have to let him go."

Other person, outraged: "You're kidding me!"

People are so loving stupid sometimes I can't stand it.

poo poo like this and some of the idiots in this thread are why we'll never get real transparency in government.

OH NO MY DICK
Feb 24, 2013

Forums Jesus

BlackIronHeart posted:

This is really what being a conspiracy theorist boils down to. They badly want to be smarter than everyone else so they 'expose' fictional plots and secrets and say everyone else is just too dumb to see it.

I am actually an ex-Conspiracy-rear end in a top hat; I watched Loose Change when I was bored back in the Summer of 2005 and it was downhill from there. I was a little poo poo that thought he was smarter than everyone else, and conspiracy theories definitely played into it. I don't recall tragedies from back then instantly becoming conspiracy fuel aside from Katrina.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Samurai Sanders posted:

So this is just that guy ranting about Hong Kong for seven minutes straight?

He's a professor (scholarly authority figure) with an agreeable female interviewer, and the message is 'speak Mandarin or get out'

DongsMcMurphy posted:

I don't recall tragedies from back then instantly becoming conspiracy fuel aside from Katrina.

Hurricanes aren't even safe anymore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5EcYx_D4YI

OH NO MY DICK
Feb 24, 2013

Forums Jesus

McDowell posted:

He's a professor (scholarly authority figure) with an agreeable female interviewer, and the message is 'speak Mandarin or get out'

Hurricanes aren't even safe anymore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5EcYx_D4YI

HAARP, man. Educate yourself. This poo poo is like a Dan Brown novel: take one grain of truth and control the way your reader sees it and you've made a conspiracy.

There were some conspiracy theories that were clearly just some guy loving with conspiracy nuts. One that comes to mind was Deep Underground Military Bases, who were claimed to be run by reptilians and used to kidnap Mexican children and eat them. No, I'm not making that up. Just look at the acronym for it: "DUMB".

OH NO MY DICK fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Apr 21, 2013

Fistgrrl
Dec 30, 2000

Queen of Cuddlenaps

quote:

Tamerlan Tsarnaev was thrown out of the mosque -- the Islamic Society of Boston Cultural Center -- about three months ago, after he stood up and shouted at the imam during a Friday prayer service, they said. The imam had held up slain civil rights leader Martin Luther King Jr. as an example of a man to emulate, recalled one worshiper who would give his name only as Muhammad.

http://www.latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-boston-bombing-suspect-radical-fbi-20130420,0,4341067.story

Also, haven't seen this mentioned but could be nothing:

The Reported 'Best Friend' Of The Dead Boston Bombing Suspect Was The Victim In Brutal Unsolved Murder Two Years Ago

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

myron cope posted:

This is Phoenix Coyotes defenseman Keith Yandle (from Milton, MA) in pregame warmups tonight:

http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?hdpid=49&id=241045&navid=nhl:topheads

Keith Yandle is a boss and the coolest dude in hockey.

SaucyLoggins
Jan 4, 2012

Panstallions For Life

DongsMcMurphy posted:

I am actually an ex-Conspiracy-rear end in a top hat; I watched Loose Change when I was bored back in the Summer of 2005 and it was downhill from there. I was a little poo poo that thought he was smarter than everyone else, and conspiracy theories definitely played into it. I don't recall tragedies from back then instantly becoming conspiracy fuel aside from Katrina.

Honestly though with 9/11, while conspiracy is giving the government a lot of credit there actually WAS a ton of poo poo that that led to that event that really did make it seem like it was grand conspiracy. Except it was a grand conspiracy of a bunch of politicians getting involved in things that they shouldn't have since the 80's. The whole "they hate us because of our freedom" thing was bullshit. There was almost 20 years of underhanded global politics that led to 9/11 so yeah it did actually have an air of conspiracy to it.

We really need a new term for it because conspiracy implies there was some sort of plan or goal, when ultimately it was just meddling, manipulation, and ignorance that ended up biting us in the rear end.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

When did the suspects become interested in Islam? The LA Times article says that Tamerlan was reported by an "un-named government" to have changed dramatically "since 2010" (the murders occurred in late 2011) but it doesn't mention when that report was made to the FBI. Dzhokhar became a US citizen on 11 September, 2012 - it's sounds like that was after his brother was observed to have "changed drastically".

Lolie fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Apr 21, 2013

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Russia gave info to the FBI in 2011, and then he travelled there in 2012. So sometime around then. I wonder how Russia got that info though, maybe he attempted to make contact with somebody over there.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Xandu posted:

Russia gave info to the FBI in 2011, and then he travelled there in 2012. So sometime around then. I wonder how Russia got that info though, maybe he attempted to make contact with somebody over there.

I figured it was some sort of international forum or something like that.

Debbie Metallica
Jun 7, 2001

Another story describing big brother as an angry bastard and the younger brother as a 'nice' guy. What the hell happened?

Ugh:

quote:

But Mary Silberman, who lives directly behind the brothers' building, had a less positive impression of her neighbors. “It's such a strange household,” she said.

Silberman's bedroom window was at nearly the same level as the Tsarnaevs' third-floor unit. She often heard the family during the summer when windows were left open.

“At odd hours, you'd hear screaming,” she said, saying the fights would occur close to midnight or in the early morning hours.

“It wasn't enough to call the cops,” Silberman said. “With domestic affairs, it's such a fine line. It's not like I'd hear anything thrashing or hear anyone being punched.”

But even if the fights weren't violent, they were loud, punctuated by a female voice yelling and a baby wailing.

(I know that angle has come up before, it's still just sad to read)

sentientcarbon
Aug 21, 2008

OFFLINE GAMES ARE THE FUTURE OF ONLINE GAMING

The numbers don't lie. 99.99% of every Diablo 3 player wants the game to be offline. This is a FACT.

OH SHIT IS THAT A WEBCAM? HOLY CRAP GET THAT AWAY FROM ME! (I am terrified of being spied on, because I am a very interesting person)

argondamn posted:

Are you guys aware of this crazy poo poo by Glenn Beck?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-oaVKvtP5M

He's claiming this was an inside job, that he has evidence, and that he's giving Obama til Monday to come clean.

Um...I didn't hear anything in that video that sounded like he was saying it was an inside job? I may have missed it, listening to Beck do his bizarre ramble for 16 minutes is very hard to do without instinctively tuning the blather out, but there didn't seem to be any inside job insinuations. It mainly sounded like he just wanted to take baseless digs at Obama for allowing the voluntary deportation of a big scary Ay-rab. Which is pretty much par for the course for Beck. It's fear-mongering, dog-whistling, and loving stupid, but still not quite false-flag-truther levels of crazy. That's still pretty much Alex Jones' sole domain.

Apr 4, 2004

by T. Finninho

DUNCAN DONUTS posted:

...the Newton "massacre,"
:goonsay:

Avulsion
Feb 12, 2006
I never knew what hit me

DongsMcMurphy posted:

HAARP, man. Educate yourself. This poo poo is like a Dan Brown novel: take one grain of truth and control the way your reader sees it and you've made a conspiracy.

There were some conspiracy theories that were clearly just some guy loving with conspiracy nuts. One that comes to mind was Deep Underground Military Bases, who were claimed to be run by reptilians and used to kidnap Mexican children and eat them. No, I'm not making that up. Just look at the acronym for it: "DUMB".

That's pretty clever of the reptilians, they must have known that a name like that would stop casual investigators (like those FBI amateurs) from digging deeper. Fortunately for us mammals television and the internet has produced a new breed of super-genius.

Fistgrrl
Dec 30, 2000

Queen of Cuddlenaps

Lolie posted:

When did the suspects become interested in Islam? The LA Times article says that Tamerlan was reported by an "un-named government" to have changed dramatically "since 2010" (the murders occurred in late 2011) but it doesn't mention when that report was made to the FBI. Dzhokhar became a US citizen on 11 September, 2012 - it's sounds like that was after his brother was observed to have "changed drastically".

Someone posted this earlier, but it was a religious family: http://alyssalindley.tumblr.com/post/48368749553/ive-met-the-boston-bombers

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Boogaleeboo posted:

Nobody is going to hang this guy from the ceiling and beat him with a sack of oranges. It's slow, useless, and leads to bad PR even without the hilarious illegality of it. They'll just talk to him, and considering his life has fallen to poo poo and he's going to die in jail he'll probably just spill to simple questions without even the slightest bit of psychological encouragement. He killed a whole mess of people, including his brother. He's also young and kind of stupid. He's not going to be the hardest nut in the world to crack.

My understanding of interrogation is that the real experts use methods that would be boring as hell if you put it in a TV show.

My guess is that they'll have a guy play checkers with him for a half hour twice a week and within a month we'll have all the information we need.

A Sloth
Aug 4, 2010
EVERY TIME I POST I AM REQUIRED TO DISCLOSE THAT I AM A SHITHEAD.

ASK ME MY EXPERT OPINION ON GENDER BASED INSULTS & "ENGLISH ETHNIC GROUPS".

:banme:

sentientcarbon posted:

Um...I didn't hear anything in that video that sounded like he was saying it was an inside job? I may have missed it, listening to Beck do his bizarre ramble for 16 minutes is very hard to do without instinctively tuning the blather out, but there didn't seem to be any inside job insinuations. It mainly sounded like he just wanted to take baseless digs at Obama for allowing the voluntary deportation of a big scary Ay-rab. Which is pretty much par for the course for Beck. It's fear-mongering, dog-whistling, and loving stupid, but still not quite false-flag-truther levels of crazy. That's still pretty much Alex Jones' sole domain.

He was trying to claim the 'Saudi National' did it and the government is trying to cover it up. That is the crazy part.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Y Kant Ozma Post posted:

Another story describing big brother as an angry bastard and the younger brother as a 'nice' guy. What the hell happened?

Supposedly the younger brother was failing his classes so he may have joined in as a (stupid) "I'm hosed either way" thing.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

sentientcarbon posted:

I didn't listen to the entire thing myself, there's the problem. I will edit my post. I guess truthers can't even honestly title a video.

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

Boogaleeboo posted:

Reminder of how this chase ended for everyone else in this thread:

HRT: COME OUT!

Guy: Ok.

Nobody is going to hang this guy from the ceiling and beat him with a sack of oranges. It's slow, useless, and leads to bad PR even without the hilarious illegality of it. They'll just talk to him, and considering his life has fallen to poo poo and he's going to die in jail he'll probably just spill to simple questions without even the slightest bit of psychological encouragement. He killed a whole mess of people, including his brother. He's also young and kind of stupid. He's not going to be the hardest nut in the world to crack.

I'm not quite sure what makes him different from people in Guantanamo? Can't they still water board him? Is it because he's a U.S. citizen (naturalized though)? I'm not sure what the differences are between this guy and Anwar al-Awlaki who was blown up in a drone strike. Basically what I'm getting at is where the lines are when it comes to terrorism and basic rights under the constitution. There's so any loopholes now after the Patriot Act I'm not sure exactly how far the government can go or has gone before.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Guantanamo detainees are classified as enemy combatants and they get military trials. And now we don't waterboard them either. Back when we did torture them, Bush was claiming they weren't entitled to Geneva protections.

edit: Awlaki wasn't in custody, among other things

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

I wonder if this has any connection to the case. Didn't someone say that Dzhokhar was into drinking and pot around that time? It's pure speculation, but Tamerlan, fresh from his indoctrination in Dagestan, killing Mess and the other two then dumping their weed to send a message for trying to corrupt his brother, that's not out of the realm of possibility. That's something a violent Islamic radical would do. He could then move onto Dzhokhar, radicalizing him as well.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

mustard_tiger posted:

I'm not quite sure what makes him different from people in Guantanamo? Can't they still water board him?

We haven't tortured people (or we've gotten a lot better at hiding it) since Bush left office.

Dr. Cogwerks
Oct 28, 2006

all I need is a grant and Project :roboluv: is go

Well that's hosed up. I suppose it's possible Tamerlan did it, but I could easily see how a drug-related murder of a young man's best friend would throw him into a deep dark place emotionally. poo poo.

e: the report ends with them talking about towing away a possible related Mercedes. Other reports said the two brothers both had a thing for Mercedes cars. Huh.

Dr. Cogwerks fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Apr 21, 2013

mustard_tiger
Nov 8, 2010

BobTheJanitor posted:

We haven't tortured people (or we've gotten a lot better at hiding it) since Bush left office.

If he wasn't caught would he then still have been a target for a drone strike (assuming he left the country)?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

mustard_tiger posted:

If he wasn't caught would he then still have been a target for a drone strike (assuming he left the country)?

Theoretically the US would have to prove he was an imminent threat and/or connected to al-Qaeda. In practice, maybe, if he were in one of a handful of countries.

Probably not though, we'd just get someone to arrest and extradite him.

Fistgrrl
Dec 30, 2000

Queen of Cuddlenaps

Young Freud posted:

I wonder if this has any connection to the case. Didn't someone say that Dzhokhar was into drinking and pot around that time? It's pure speculation, but Tamerlan, fresh from his indoctrination in Dagestan, killing Mess and the other two then dumping their weed to send a message for trying to corrupt his brother, that's not out of the realm of possibility. That's something a violent Islamic radical would do. He could then move onto Dzhokhar, radicalizing him as well.

Yeah, I thought that it was a possibility but it's weird that Tamerlan introduced Mess as his bestie when he supposedly had no American friends. Also in this story a Mercedes was towed from the scene. Does everyone in Boston get assigned a Mercedes or something? Their mechanic said they were always driving Mercedes and Porsches. Where did the money come from? The mom gave facials and their dad was an auto mechanic. I haven't heard any employers mentioned for the bombers.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

Has anybody said what their uncle does for a living?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Xandu posted:

Has anybody said what their uncle does for a living?
In that first crazy interview with him he just said "I WORK for a living!!"

I like that answer, I'm gonna stick with it.

• Locked thread