Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Didn't see a general questions thread is this where I can ask?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

If I remember correctly Zorak doesn't like General Questions threads or General News threads and has said if you can't find a thread that the question or piece of news already fits in make a thread for it.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
gently caress me.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
That's not a question

Neutron Bandit
Apr 28, 2008

Is there an anime or manga besides Liar Game and One Outs that handle gambling and just obscure and weird games as well as Kaiji and Akagi?

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

If you can handle the Mahjong in Akagi try Ten, also by Fukumoto. If not, then Gambling Emperor Legend Zero has some real interesting and weird gambles.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

What can I watch that's got wuxia influences?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Bongo Bill posted:

Katanagatari's got a little of that in its DNA, depending how strictly you define wuxia. (It doesn't fit the "set in China" part, for instance.)

Plus it's re-airing right now.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"

Bongo Bill posted:

If you can accept a relatively liberal interpretation...I'd recommend the Giant Robo OVA, which actually has more martials arts combat than purely mecha action and was in fact influenced by wuxia. It's also very good in general too.

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
G Gundam has a ton of wuxia themes and influences.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

wielder posted:

If you can accept a relatively liberal interpretation...I'd recommend the Giant Robo OVA, which actually has more martials arts combat than purely mecha action and was in fact influenced by wuxia. It's also very good in general too.

I haven't seen much, but I have seen that and quite enjoyed it. It hadn't occurred to me to think of it as wuxia-inspired, but I see it now, what with all the stylish superpowers and individual tragedies. Even the presence of the giant robot in it worked well, but at the moment I think I would prefer action that remains on the human scale, so G Gundam will have to wait until later. What else you got?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

In that case, check out Hero Tales and Sōten Kōro. The former is straight up wuxia, while the latter is a quite enjoyable adaptation of original Records of the Three Kingdoms with Cao Cao was the heroic main character (in contrast to the later Romance where Liu Bei is more heroic and prominent).

bubblegumbo0
Apr 24, 2008

我的機動戰士是個ヤンデレ!
Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit

Not true hardcore wuxia, but has martial arts and a decent story.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
What's another good protagonist-solves-problems anime in the vein of Master Keaton, Mushishi, Mononoke, GTO, Bartender?

coathat
May 21, 2007

Natsume Yujin-cho would work. City Hunter fits the bill too, but you probably wouldn't like it. Dirty Pair as well if you take an extremly broad view on the whole solving problems thing.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

coathat posted:

City Hunter fits the bill too, but you probably wouldn't like it.
I actually quite like City Hunter, although I haven't watched all of it. Might go and watch some more now you've reminded me. I'd prefer it if the problems weren't invariably solved by the impact of an accurate bullet, but I'll take what I can get.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Ohh yeah you should check out Blackjack if you haven't already. Can't go wrong with Tezuka.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Chas McGill posted:

What's another good protagonist-solves-problems anime in the vein of Master Keaton, Mushishi, Mononoke, GTO, Bartender?

Well it's more a protagonist solving a single very large problem, but if you liked Master Keaton you could check out another Naoki Urusawa anime, Monster.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Okay, this might be a long shot, but does anyone have a recommendation for a good romantic (dark, slice of life- poo poo, I'll go for ecchi in a pinch) anime that has really sappy, happy endings? I'm talking shouted declarations of love, happy smiles all around, tears of joy, deep kisses only broken when they come up for breath, hugging, soaring music, cherry blossom petals every-loving-where, "And they lived happily ever after", the WORKS. Again, genre or even level of fanservice doesn't matter, and hell, neither does the orientation of the characters. Just an awesome love story with a gloriously happy ending.

Bonus points if it has metal as a soundtrack, but that's less 'recommend me an anime' and more 'if I won all the lotteries, this is the anime I'd make'.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

CommissarMega posted:

Okay, this might be a long shot, but does anyone have a recommendation for a good romantic (dark, slice of life- poo poo, I'll go for ecchi in a pinch) anime that has really sappy, happy endings? I'm talking shouted declarations of love, happy smiles all around, tears of joy, deep kisses only broken when they come up for breath, hugging, soaring music, cherry blossom petals every-loving-where, "And they lived happily ever after", the WORKS. Again, genre or even level of fanservice doesn't matter, and hell, neither does the orientation of the characters. Just an awesome love story with a gloriously happy ending.

Bonus points if it has metal as a soundtrack, but that's less 'recommend me an anime' and more 'if I won all the lotteries, this is the anime I'd make'.
You don't get the full payoff in the anime series, but Fruits Basket has a really happy ending, and the end of the anime series (before the tacked-on last 15-ish minutes) gives a really good feel for the emotional impact of the ultimate ending. The manga ending has something like 10 different couples finally getting together, which is about as happy and sappy as you can get. The anime also has a really good soundtrack, although only a little metal in it. Unfortunately most of the translations on batoto are kinda lovely.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

CommissarMega posted:

Oh god now I want this. :saddowns:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Chas McGill posted:

Maybe Hyouka? Main protagonist is a sort of Sherlock Holmes-esque character but lazy as all gently caress unless something interests him. The characters are enjoyable without being annoying, the puzzles are interesting and varied enough to keep from becoming stale, and it's fairly recent.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
So I'm a Jojo's Bizarre Adventure fan, and have been told that HunterXHunter has a similar level of "constant game of wits" going on in the fights. Should I watch the recent anime, or read the manga?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

CommissarMega posted:

Eureka Seven.

Also count me as interested in "more like this, any genre, please." I know a few other action + romance series that could kind of count but don't dial it up to eleven as effectively, but I could do with branching out.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

I'm honestly drawing a blank on any anime romances (Eureka Seven is a good choice though, even if it's not exclusively a romance story) that end that way. It's entirely possible that I'm forgetting something really blatant.

Lovely Complex has a great ending, but it's not quite cranked up to 11 like you're requesting, still one of my favorite shows overall. Toradora! comes close too.
A lot of the recent shoujo shows are adaptations of comics that are still going on, so the anime version ends with story left to tell.

All I can think of are some manga stories that end that way: Octave, Love My Life, Girl Friends, and Sasameki Koto all basically end with a ton of :3:'s exploding into smaller :3:s. Kimi ni Todoke will probably end that way some time, whenever it gets there. Paradise Kiss' (anime or manga) ending is great and wonderfully written, but doesn't really fit your description either.

There are two series I can think of that have very happy endings, but knowing that ahead of time is very likely to lessen a lot of the drama that drives the majorities of their plots, so I'm not sure how exactly to go about suggesting them.
:siren:So, even though this is awkward as all hell, I'll put their titles in spoilers, be warned though that knowing they have happy ends might affect your overall enjoyment of them.:siren: Mouseover at your own risk.
Clannad: The first season is pretty mediocre, the second nails it.
Dusk Maiden of Amnesia Fanservice laden, ghost girlfriend story that ends up being cute, funny, frightening and romantic. Go figure.

Alas, no metal is found among any of those choices.

Outer Science
Dec 21, 2008

Daisangen

a kitten posted:

:siren:So, even though this is awkward as all hell, I'll put their titles in spoilers, be warned though that knowing they have happy ends might affect your overall enjoyment of them.:siren: Mouseover at your own risk.
[the first thing he suggested which i'm removing from the quote to avoid accidental spoiling for others]

This is what I was going to suggest. It's not exactly fitting to what you're looking for but it is certainly the closest I've ever seen. I watched it when I was looking for pretty much exactly what you were and it satisfied me completely. Also another rec for Eureka Seven, while not really all that close it is utterly fantastic and hits some of the notes you're looking for.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Studio Ghibli's "Whisper of the Heart" is a very pure romance, though possibly more abrupt than you describe.

bubblegumbo0 posted:

Moribito - Guardian of the Spirit

Not true hardcore wuxia, but has martial arts and a decent story.

This is the first of these suggestions I've tried, and while it isn't what I thought I wanted (slower, for one thing), it's really hitting the spot. Good suggestion.

Teabiscuit
Jul 21, 2005

by T. Finninho
Are there any parody crossover animes? I'm thinking host club of effeminate guys who suddenly have to deal with nuclear apocalypse due to powerful psychics ala akira.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Mo_Steel posted:

Maybe Hyouka? Main protagonist is a sort of Sherlock Holmes-esque character but lazy as all gently caress unless something interests him. The characters are enjoyable without being annoying, the puzzles are interesting and varied enough to keep from becoming stale, and it's fairly recent.
Hyouka was recommended to me when I asked for chill stuff and I see how it fits the bill of problem solving, though I only managed to watch about 4 episodes before giving up because I didn't like the art style/setting very much. Shame, since I love the idea of an amateur detective crew solving mundane mysteries.

Zorak posted:

Well it's more a protagonist solving a single very large problem, but if you liked Master Keaton you could check out another Naoki Urusawa anime, Monster.
Monster is one of my favourites.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib

Chas McGill posted:

Hyouka was recommended to me when I asked for chill stuff and I see how it fits the bill of problem solving, though I only managed to watch about 4 episodes before giving up because I didn't like the art style/setting very much. Shame, since I love the idea of an amateur detective crew solving mundane mysteries.

Kamisama no Memochou maybe? The mysteries are more serious than Hyouka's though.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

CommissarMega posted:

Emma: A Victorian Romance is the very first thing that comes to mind, but don't go expecting any Metal soundtracks.

After that, It's been a LONG time since I've seen it but maybe Peach Girl and I'd also recommend Toradora as well.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Thanks for all the recommendations, everyone! I've actually watched Eureka Seven already, should have mentioned that :shobon: In any case, I'm going to try Emma and that second suggestion of a kitten for now. As for the mteal- meh, I can live without it.

What I'd give for some unholy combination of Brutal Legend and Kannazuki no Miko...

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

CommissarMega posted:

Maybe try Otome Yokai Zakuro?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

CommissarMega posted:

Thanks for all the recommendations, everyone! I've actually watched Eureka Seven already, should have mentioned that :shobon: In any case, I'm going to try Emma and that second suggestion of a kitten for now. As for the mteal- meh, I can live without it.

What I'd give for some unholy combination of Brutal Legend and Kannazuki no Miko...

Just to be sure, you've seen Detroit Metal City, right? It's a series of skits so there isn't really an ending*, but I'm pretty sure you'd love it.

*There's a live action adaptation that gives it an overall narrative, but it's clumsily handled and the best parts of the movie are scenes from the manga that would work just as well out of context.

Neutron Bandit
Apr 28, 2008

Ringo Roadagain posted:

If you can handle the Mahjong in Akagi try Ten, also by Fukumoto. If not, then Gambling Emperor Legend Zero has some real interesting and weird gambles.

Thank you I had no idea Zero was something else he was doing. How does this guy get anything done with three mangas in progress at once?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

The Black Stones posted:

Emma: A Victorian Romance is the very first thing that comes to mind, but don't go expecting any Metal soundtracks.

After that, It's been a LONG time since I've seen it but maybe Peach Girl and I'd also recommend Toradora as well.

CommissarMega posted:

Emma is an amazing manga and a pretty alright anime. The manga covers much much more material and has a wonderful ending. The anime is pretty okay but the second season throws a curve ball in that it goes very off the rails (in particular, mucking about with the plot and changing a major character's motivations.), and has a completely different ending, which is very happy but quite different (it's very definitive and much more 'and this is wahte happened the end' than the manga.

Anime is not bad by a stretch but the manga is SO SO SO good (and so much better) and is probably one of the most beautifully illustrated books I've ever had the pleasure to read.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Chas McGill posted:

Monster is one of my favourites.

Please keep going with it. The strange art dials down a whole lot. The setting doesn't change too much, but it does a little bit later (there are a few more mysteries than just the Hyouka one). It really is great.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Art was the only thing that grabbed me about hyouka. I was bored out of my mind by ep 9 or 10 and was horrified when I learned it was a full 24-26 series.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Kingnothing posted:

Please keep going with it. The strange art dials down a whole lot. The setting doesn't change too much, but it does a little bit later (there are a few more mysteries than just the Hyouka one). It really is great.

DamnGlitch posted:

Art was the only thing that grabbed me about hyouka. I was bored out of my mind by ep 9 or 10 and was horrified when I learned it was a full 24-26 series.

The actual animation and colouring is good, as is the representation of flashbacks and data (such as the visualisation of what brunette-toddler-girl's uncle did when he was at school). My main problem is just that I'm tired of high schoolers and uniforms. After a couple of episodes my tolerance for moe infantilisation was stretched really thin. It made me want to watch City Hunter again.

I can understand the appeal of the show (unlike other stuff that's been recommended to me, like Toradora) - it seems well made and I like the premise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colorblind Panda
Oct 4, 2009

Maremidon posted:

So I'm a Jojo's Bizarre Adventure fan, and have been told that HunterXHunter has a similar level of "constant game of wits" going on in the fights. Should I watch the recent anime, or read the manga?

The new Hunter x Hunter is amazing and you should watch it. The fights make sense and power levels are explained in a way that actually enhances the story. It's also gets brutal a few arcs in. I haven't read the manga of it but now that they're finally animating an arc that has never been animated, I may never have to. Though I probably will just for comparison's sake. Kind of like what I did with Full Metal Alchemist.

So yeah, give the new Hunter x Hunter a try. It's really good! Probably my new favorite old series done new. :v:

Oh, and I can't compare it to Jojo, since I still need to watch that.

• Locked thread