Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Krispy Kareem posted:

I had a question about the last picture. I've noticed my backgrounds appear to swirl when blurred. Is there any particular reason for this? Is that just the 'bokeh' caused by the leaf shutter?

No, it's just a characteristic of the lens design. Some have neutral bokeh, where the background is just blurred, others tend to have wilder bokeh or more intense bokeh near the corners (probably curvature of field?). It's a noted characteristic of triplet lenses in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Krispy Kareem posted:

I had a question about the last picture. I've noticed my backgrounds appear to swirl when blurred. Is there any particular reason for this? Is that just the 'bokeh' caused by the leaf shutter?
It's a property of the lens' optical design.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Krispy Kareem posted:

I went up to my in-laws in Vermont and forgot to bring my camera battery. Fortunately I had my Yashica!

The Furnace by I Like Natty Light, on Flickr

Calvin and Chloe by I Like Natty Light, on Flickr

Bullwinkle by the tree stump by I Like Natty Light, on Flickr

Also, to whoever recommended the betterscanning.com inserts, those are awesome. This was my first chance to use them and it made scanning the negatives so much easier.

That's just a property of the design of older lenses

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Krispy Kareem posted:

Bullwinkle by the tree stump by I Like Natty Light, on Flickr

It has already been answered several times over, but let me fill in some details.

The reason for the swirly bokeh is a lens aberration called coma. Coma causes point lights, especially in the corners of the frame to take on a "comet trail" shape. This trail follows the convex/concave flow of the lens glass. (Wikipedia here.)

I'm assuming your Yashica's lens is a Tessar (4 elements in 3 groups) design, which is relatively well corrected for coma, but can be still visible at wider apertures. Usually when shooting night shots you shoot f/8-f/11 anyway so that's why you usually don't see the "comet trails" there. (Unless you are a horrible sperg or K-rock)

If you want even swirlier bokeh, go for a Cooke triplet or a derivative thereof. It has less degrees of freedom (air to glass surfaces) and is thus less corrected for color and coma.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

VomitOnLino posted:

It has already been answered several times over, but let me fill in some details.

The reason for the swirly bokeh is a lens aberration called coma. Coma causes point lights, especially in the corners of the frame to take on a "comet trail" shape. This trail follows the convex/concave flow of the lens glass. (Wikipedia here.)

I'm assuming your Yashica's lens is a Tessar (4 elements in 3 groups) design, which is relatively well corrected for coma, but can be still visible at wider apertures. Usually when shooting night shots you shoot f/8-f/11 anyway so that's why you usually don't see the "comet trails" there. (Unless you are a horrible sperg or K-rock)

If you want even swirlier bokeh, go for a Cooke triplet or a derivative thereof. It has less degrees of freedom (air to glass surfaces) and is thus less corrected for color and coma.

I believe the Yashica D has a Yashikor which is a triplet design.

PoseidonGodOfTheSea
Oct 17, 2005

IF THIS WAS REAL POKER I WOULDN'T BE A DUMB A FAGGOT
So this week I had my 5dmkii stolen, and since I had been looking for a reason to invest in MF anyhow, I now find myself the proud owner of two new cameras.

While waiting for my insurance claim (:emo:), I find myself in a bit of a quandry.

Both are Zenza Bronicas obtained at obscenely low prices. One is an ETRS with a 200mm Zenzanon F/4.5, split focus finder, 120 back, and speedgrip. The other is a GS-1 body with no accouterments. The ETRS is practically mint as well as the accessories. Apparently it was a backup given away by a struggling photog to pay off a debt, and was practically never used. The GS-1 I'm picking up on Monday and is supposedly fully functioning, but has some minor cosmetic wear and tear.

The question is whether I keep the GS-1. Seeing as how they are two different systems, and the GS-1 has a limited lens and accessory selection that is also relatively rare and expensive, I find it myself struggling to justify keeping it. I'm no balla dentist. Eventually, I want the option of shooting 6x7, but I'm wondering if I should sell it for a healthy profit and go after a Pentax 6x7 or an RB67 instead. I've shot with an ETRS in the past, but have no clue about the GS-1 system's image or build quality aside from what I've read on some photo forums.

Anyone who's used the GS-1 and feels like convincing my to keep it, by all means try. If not, I might just try to offload it in the gear for sale thread :pervert:

PoseidonGodOfTheSea fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Apr 20, 2013

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
thinking of selling my pentax 6x7. it's in very good condition and i have the metering prism, wooden grip, and 105 lens. what would be a fair price?

Genderfluid fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Apr 20, 2013

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Genderfluid posted:

thinking of selling my pentax 6x7. it's in very good condition and i have the metering prism, wooden grip, and 105 lens. what would be a fair price?

I usually price check against KEH and then drop it a bit from there since they offer 6 month warranties on all their used gear. I would get a picture with your username in it before you start thinking about numbers lest buttons be pushed.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Genderfluid posted:

I just sold my 67 kit for $450 locally. You could probably get more piecing it out on ebay but it costs nothing to toss it Craigslist and drop the price later if it doesn't sell.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
I tried shooting some expired RA-4 paper in the homemade 8x10, managed to get some sharp images, but they REALLY lacked colour:

Next time I'll use some loose RA-4 printing filters in front of the lens, as the paper negatives were really red, so I'll need to add lots of magenta and yellow. And the paper was developed in a Rollei digibase RA-4 kit at room temperature.

365 Nog Hogger
Jan 19, 2008

by Shine
That's really cool, keep doing that.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Spedman posted:

Next time I'll use some loose RA-4 printing filters in front of the lens, as the paper negatives were really red, so I'll need to add lots of magenta and yellow. And the paper was developed in a Rollei digibase RA-4 kit at room temperature.

Yeah, what Reichstag said. Contact printing/paper negs make me tempted to cobble together a DIY 8x10, and my Nikkor-M 300 would make a decent normal lens for it...

Here's some scrub-tier LF - scanned 4x5 negatives.

Hops Farm, Sauvie Island by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Alpha Afovos, Rainier by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I had another crack at colour paper, this time finding stuff in the lounge room to shoot. This was at night under room lighting, the negatives were very magenta, with little colour saturation again, even with some filtering. I'll have to go harder next time:

And here's a crop, surprised with the detail:

eggsovereasy
May 6, 2011

Wouldn't color paper not have an even color response because it's made to work with color negatives that have that orange base? Anyway, the colors may not be right, but you're getting cool results.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
I dig that aesthetic

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS

Spedman posted:

I tried shooting some expired RA-4 paper in the homemade 8x10, managed to get some sharp images, but they REALLY lacked colour:

These are excellent results that wouldn't be nearly as compelling in full color.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Yeah, it's like a split tone except it doesn't look like poo poo.

McMadCow
Jan 19, 2005

With our rifles and grenades and some help from God.

eggsovereasy posted:

Wouldn't color paper not have an even color response because it's made to work with color negatives that have that orange base? Anyway, the colors may not be right, but you're getting cool results.

I don't know if color paper is completely neutral, but you correct for the orange base in the darkroom.

The Clit Avoider
Aug 11, 2002

El Profesional

PoseidonGodOfTheSea posted:

The question is whether I keep the GS-1. Seeing as how they are two different systems, and the GS-1 has a limited lens and accessory selection that is also relatively rare and expensive, I find it myself struggling to justify keeping it. I'm no balla dentist. Eventually, I want the option of shooting 6x7, but I'm wondering if I should sell it for a healthy profit and go after a Pentax 6x7 or an RB67 instead. I've shot with an ETRS in the past, but have no clue about the GS-1 system's image or build quality aside from what I've read on some photo forums.

Anyone who's used the GS-1 and feels like convincing my to keep it, by all means try. If not, I might just try to offload it in the gear for sale thread :pervert:

I use a GS-1 as my primary. The lenses are sharp as a tack, and the camera system is extremely well suited to all situations, although its size may make it a little unwieldy for some to shoot street with (I don't find it a big deal, it's well made to the extent of being tanklike, a bit bulky and a little heavy, but it's not so hard to hand hold). The shortcomings of the camera are the mirror lockup system which can be irritating, but is fairly intuitive, and the price of the accessories such as the adjustable viewfinder (which makes portrait orientation much less irritating), speedgrip etc in working order.

The 110mm Macro, 150mm, and 65mm lenses are all obtainable for not too high an investment.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

eggsovereasy posted:

McMadCow posted:

I don't know if color paper is completely neutral, but you correct for the orange base in the darkroom.

I figured I'd get more of a colour response than I'm seeing right now, as the paper should be responsive to most of the colour spectrum.

But I'm really liking that I'm getting the unpredictable results, I'll try some daytime portraits with it next. I've still got to get an 8x10 dipping tank so I can move up to the big tintypes.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

It looks like spooky ghost vision.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

What are the exposure times like with the paper? Have you tried adjusting them significantly? (I assume they are quite long, going by the sensitivity B&W paper typically has.) Maybe try lighting the scene with a series of flash fires, see if that gives a better colour rendition.
Also see if you can do something to reduce the natural contrast of the scene, the colours might be getting washed out by the underexposure in the darker areas or something. Aren't RA4 papers typically rather high contrast from the beginning, since C41 film tends to have somewhat low contrast?

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

nielsm posted:

What are the exposure times like with the paper? Have you tried adjusting them significantly?

The iso of the paper is about 12, compared to black and white, which is about 3. I've played a little with the exposures a bit outside, and didn't really see much change in the colour palate.

PE at APUG posted:

It is Tungsten balanced with high UV and IR sensitivity so you will need a good UV filter. The Blue is about ISO 100, the Red is about ISO 25.

So it looks like the paper could be really flexible, making 8x10 IR and UV images could be pretty fun.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Here's another poorly scanned/color corrected shot from me:

Lee by dorkasaurus_rex, on Flickr

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
The the Symmar-S 135/5.6 MC I sniped like a month ago (for $170) finally arrived. Now I have a plasmat to match my Top-RF Crown Graphic 135mm cam, so I can take a stab at figuring out the workflow.

Next stop, a monorail :getin:

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut
started a project photographing along the sides of highways

Along the Bronx River Parkway, White Plains NY by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

Mannequin
Mar 8, 2003
Also started a project involving portraits but with bio information, people of all kinds. And I'm doing another project on one of the parks in NYC. Have to wait for all this film to get developed. Have amassed a many number of new rolls.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Velvia 50

R47 RVP50 02 by alkanphel, on Flickr

moonduck
Apr 1, 2005
a tour de force
I don't think the thin depth of field is helping the composition any, but those greens are absolutely lovely.

squidflakes
Aug 27, 2009

SHORTBUS
Well, I made my first print ever...

Contact print from a 4X5 negative on that cyanotype "nature paper" that you're supposed to press leaves and shells and crap on.

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable

Line by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

21 by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
Someone buy my Kiev kit in the Buy/Sell thread!

squidflakes posted:

Well, I made my first print ever...

Contact print from a 4X5 negative on that cyanotype "nature paper" that you're supposed to press leaves and shells and crap on.

I have a cyanotype kit that I really need to get around to trying... I realized a few months after I got to Japan that it prooobably shouldn't have made it through Customs.

alkanphel posted:

Velvia 50

R47 RVP50 02 by alkanphel, on Flickr

I like this too.

Genderfluid posted:

started a project photographing along the sides of highways

Along the Bronx River Parkway, White Plains NY by JaundiceDave, on Flickr

Dat Portra :allears: Were you the goon with access to a pretty nice scanner (Flextight? Imacon?) that was offering your services?

This owns.

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
Jesus rides a chopper.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Dat Portra :allears: Were you the goon with access to a pretty nice scanner (Flextight? Imacon?) that was offering your services?

Yea

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Noted! PM me your rates if you don't mind, I've still got a fair bit of developing to get through but at some point this year I'd like to send off my really good stuff to get properly digitized.

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Noted! PM me your rates if you don't mind, I've still got a fair bit of developing to get through but at some point this year I'd like to send off my really good stuff to get properly digitized.

your pms are full

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.

2013-673 by Tom Rintjema, on Flickr

I'm working out the bugs with shifting a sensor around to cover a larger format. This is about 10cm wide. I used a magnifying glass for a lens and stitched all the bits together. The lens stayed in position and didn't move. I just slid a sensor around the film plane.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Rear Entrance by Isaac Sachs, on Flickr

:haw:

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

Cute title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShotgunWillie