Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzzy Pipe Wrench
Nov 5, 2008

MAYBE DON'T STEAL BEER FROM GOONS?

CHEERS!
(FUCK YOU)

Elysiume posted:

In ME1 it showed that they did really dirty things. They're also pretty massive human supremacists. In ME2 you only get hints of how slimy they are, mostly from what people mention to you.

I wanted more freedom and was pretty disappointed my rear end in a top hat shep couldn't continue the trend from the end of ME1 and just be a human supremacist all the way. No matter how hard I tried I just couldn't make any alien jerks go extinct :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Elysiume posted:

In ME1 it showed that they did really dirty things. They're also pretty massive human supremacists. In ME2 you only get hints of how slimy they are, mostly from what people mention to you.

One of the things ME2 didn't really make explicitly clear was that TIM was busy building an entire context for Shepard that was - effectively - a huge lie about Cerberus. I mean he puts a bunch of people who are uncomfortable with Cerberus on board, or brings your old friends back and keeps them isolated from the stupid poo poo Cerberus does, and you're like "yeah okay TIM you aren't that bad I guess" except the people outside that context box - Ash and Kaidan? Their reaction of HOLY poo poo YOU NUTBAG is, well, legit. They're human, they react really badly. Garrus and Tali don't, because to them Cerberus isn't the same thing. Remember, Ash and Kaidan's experience with Cerberus is "totally evil" and not TIM trying to indoctrinate you, so to speak.

and then you go see Jack's old place and Overlord and all the traditional Cerberus Is Super Evil poo poo but they don't ever hammer that point home. You as the player have to. I like that, but I can see how it led to confusion.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Psion posted:

and then you go see Jack's old place and Overlord and all the traditional Cerberus Is Super Evil poo poo but they don't ever hammer that point home. You as the player have to. I like that, but I can see how it led to confusion.

That's a really great point and I really liked how they did it again in the Cerberus base mission in Me3 where you can see the logs of TIM intentionally setting up the most non-threatening environment for you on the Normandy. At the time it felt like kind of a shocking betrayal but was immediately followed by a "well, duh" since that's exactly what a manipulative person would do.

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm doing the Tungeska missions. So far in this game my only squad members are Edi, James, and Liara. Is this normal?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

If you mean Tuchanka, and you imported an ME2 save where a bunch of your crew died, then it's certainly possible.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Psion posted:

The problem is they spend some time distancing TIM from those events, with Miranda backing him up. Its difficult because as far as we know he is on the up and up. Especially considering how incompetent Cerberus is, I believe they could have that many splinters working outside TIM's jurisdiction. Hell the only really evil thing I can remember him doing (that the game makes clear he did) was the collector ship but even that is only really against the paragon option, as that is something the renegade would so do.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

CharlestheHammer posted:

The problem is they spend some time distancing TIM from those events, with Miranda backing him up.

But that's my point - who's your source on that? Miranda. Who works for ... oh, right.

TIM is nothing if not a manipulator.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Its difficult because as far as we know he is on the up and up.

see, you say this. This is agreeing with me: TIM is trying to build a context that makes you think just this. He's written as a character who clearly wants you to think that, so he makes sure all the information Shepard has does just that. But if you peek around the corner of the box, well, it's pretty obvious Cerberus never changed, he's just trying hard to get you on his team.

Then ME3 just comes in and says it straight out. But it was all right there for the taking in ME2.

Psion fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Apr 21, 2013

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Psion posted:

But that's my point - who's your source on that? Miranda. Who works for ... oh, right.

TIM is nothing if not a manipulator.

Yeah but even the files on the missions usually stated something like "I hope TIM doesn't find out, though maybe the results will result in forgiveness?"

forever gold
Jan 14, 2013

by Y Kant Ozma Post

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

If you mean Tuchanka, and you imported an ME2 save where a bunch of your crew died, then it's certainly possible.

On the plus side, the "Suicide Mission" of Mass Effect 2 was, for me, one of the most emotional gaming sequences/levels. :cry:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
It sounds like you killed most of your crew in ME2, so you're screwed as far as squad mates go. Download From Ashes if you want another person in your team right now. Later in the game you'll have the possibility of getting another squadmate to join.

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

Psion posted:

TIM is trying to build a context that makes you think just this. He's written as a character who clearly wants you to think that, so he makes sure all the information Shepard has does just that. But if you peek around the corner of the box, well, it's pretty obvious Cerberus never changed, he's just trying hard to get you on his team.

Then ME3 just comes in and says it straight out. But it was all right there for the taking in ME2.

One of my big problems with ME2 - and I'm noticing it again as I take FemSheps through for the first time (which has been great, the difference in the voice acting is a revelation in places) - is that there's not really a clear, consistent way for Shepard to express distinct viewpoints on Cerberus - sometimes the anti-Cerberus viewpoint is expressed as "I don't trust them at all", sometimes it's "I don't trust them but it's not like the Alliance or the Council is helping", sometimes it's "I don't trust them but maybe they've changed?" and sometimes it's "Cerberus is just trying to protect humanity". which means Shepard's professed attitude toward Cerberus is all over the place throughout the game. It doesn't even necessarily progress from one to another throughout - it just bounces around depending on the dialogue.

If you didn't play ME1 it probably doesn't seem like a big deal, but if you did, well, Cerberus did awful poo poo by commission and neglect both - most notably having an Alliance officer killed, letting a bunch of rachni loose, and luring an Alliance marine patrol into a thresher maw nest to see what would happen. Hell, if you played with the Sole Survivor origin, Cerberus was responsible for the death of your whole squad, and it really stretched plausibility for me that Shepard's first course of action in 2 wasn't to airlock everyone loyal to Cerberus and straight-up steal the Normandy at the start of the game.

I've also realized why I don't really like Jacob: He is a dick with terrible judgment. I just did Thane's recruitment mission today, and Jacob's all bitchy about him and complains that assassins are just "precise mercs" with no loyalty, and this is coming from a dude who bailed on the Alliance to join Cerberus. When you're given a choice to finish building the team or jumping into the IFF mission early, he's all "let's go right now!" and that's a terrible idea. And he volunteers to generate the biotic shield during the suicide mission, when there's a biotic superhuman and Asari matriarch standing right there, both of whom can clear whole rooms with their power while he's busy shouting "gravity's one mean mother, huh?" I'm also playing an Adept, so his "I'm a biotic, just let me know when you want me to hit them with the good stuff" was really funny when he was using Pull to lift a mech while I was manhandling the rest with Singularity and Reave. Yeah, Jacob, good stuff right there.

ME3 topic stuff: I've also been doing the crewmember-specific hangout things in Citadel, and when Cortez and James come by to bro out and watch some biotiball with some beers, it put a genuine, goofy smile on my face, as did Jack and her pet varren. Why couldn't they have done all that poo poo right the first time and gotten it into the game proper?

Craig Spradlin fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Apr 21, 2013

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

1st AD posted:

It sounds like you killed most of your crew in ME2, so you're screwed as far as squad mates go. Download From Ashes if you want another person in your team right now. Later in the game you'll have the possibility of getting another squadmate to join.

Unless that person's... not around anymore either :v:

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

:ssh: that's why I said possibility

Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005
So I finally went and bought the Trilogy boxset for 360 about a month ago due to a good friend constantly recommending the series to me, and am about halfway through ME2 right now and having a very good time. The ME3 multiplayer, which I'm playing on the side, is also much more enjoyable to me than standard Call of Duty deathmatch-type games, because I often get my rear end handed to me when fending for myself, so the teamwork aspect is a godsend.

A question regarding romances, though. I'm playing a female Shepard who romanced Kaidan in the first game. I've ended up starting to flirt with Kelly in ME2. I already read that Kaidan and Ashley don't play a big role after you run into them at Horizon, so I'm mainly wondering if what I'm doing now will gently caress things up with Kaidan in any way when I get to ME3.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Nope, even if you pursue a romance with Kelly it still counts you as being faithful to your ME1 love interest. Mainly because it doesn't exactly have the same mechanics the regular romances in ME2 have.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
Well, a huge problem you'll encounter in ME3 is that you won't have romanced Garrus, but I wouldn't expect any other significant consequences.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Craig Spradlin posted:

ME3 topic stuff: I've also been doing the crewmember-specific hangout things in Citadel, and when Cortez and James come by to bro out and watch some biotiball with some beers, it put a genuine, goofy smile on my face, as did Jack and her pet varren. Why couldn't they have done all that poo poo right the first time and gotten it into the game proper?

I'm of the opinion that if they did put the stuff from Citadel in the base game, we'd be complaining about the random shifts in tone. For me, Citadel only worked because I played ME3 without it already.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CharlestheHammer posted:

The problem is they spend some time distancing TIM from those events, with Miranda backing him up. Its difficult because as far as we know he is on the up and up. Especially considering how incompetent Cerberus is, I believe they could have that many splinters working outside TIM's jurisdiction. Hell the only really evil thing I can remember him doing (that the game makes clear he did) was the collector ship but even that is only really against the paragon option, as that is something the renegade would so do.

The way I feel about Cerberus in ME2 is that there are only two ways to really see them:

A. They're really as evil and brutal and callous as they appeared to be in ME1, and therefore you shouldn't trust TIM and give him access to potentially dangerous things

Or....

B. They're telling the truth about rogue operations and people going off reservation or unexpected consequences.... and therefore they're too incompetent/have too much of a bad track record to give TIM access to potentially dangerous things.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

Psion posted:

Ash and Kaidan? Their reaction of HOLY poo poo YOU NUTBAG is, well, legit. They're human, they react really badly. Garrus and Tali don't, because to them Cerberus isn't the same thing.

Actually, Tali is pretty drat vocal about it throughout ME2, which was pretty cool I think (as the only other character-defining thing she has going in ME2 is the almost creepy obsession for Shepard, especially if you're playing ManShep). I mean, unlike Kaidan / Ash she does end up joining Shepard, but she remains pretty vocal about calling Cerberus out for what it is.

Garrus, on the other hand, gives no fucks, that is true.

E: I mean, Tali flat out refuses to join you in ME2 because of Shepard working for Cerberus alone, until you effectively save her rear end.

Burning Mustache fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Apr 21, 2013

Zilkin
Jan 9, 2009

Craig Spradlin posted:

ME3 topic stuff: I've also been doing the crewmember-specific hangout things in Citadel, and when Cortez and James come by to bro out and watch some biotiball with some beers, it put a genuine, goofy smile on my face,

That scene is even better if you are romancing Cortez. Definitely check it on Youtube.

Zilkin fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Apr 21, 2013

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Craig Spradlin posted:

Hell, if you played with the Sole Survivor origin, Cerberus was responsible for the death of your whole squad, and it really stretched plausibility for me that Shepard's first course of action in 2 wasn't to airlock everyone loyal to Cerberus and straight-up steal the Normandy at the start of the game.

Literally the only reason I'm glad this didn't happen is because then we wouldn't have Gabby and Ken.

Burning Mustache posted:

Actually, Tali is pretty drat vocal about it throughout ME2, which was pretty cool I think (as the only other character-defining thing she has going in ME2 is the almost creepy obsession for Shepard, especially if you're playing ManShep). I mean, unlike Kaidan / Ash she does end up joining Shepard, but she remains pretty vocal about calling Cerberus out for what it is.

Garrus, on the other hand, gives no fucks, that is true.

E: I mean, Tali flat out refuses to join you in ME2 because of Shepard working for Cerberus alone, until you effectively save her rear end.

I like that Garrus' reasoning is the same as Chakwas; he's not working for Cerberus, he's working for Shepard.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

So what's some cool armor? Right now I'm rocking the collector armor, mostly because I only have it, the reckoning set, and then a few armor pieces for customization.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Talking about armor, I wish ME3 gave femShep the option to wear Brooks'/Ashley + Liara's alternate armor. It's a really cool design.

hwordhan
Sep 27, 2012

Ask me about the taste of a video game character's breast milk!

1st AD posted:

Talking about armor, I wish ME3 gave femShep the option to wear Brooks'/Ashley + Liara's alternate armor. It's a really cool design.

Isn't the armor you get from the Citadel DLC basically that?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

No, you get Kai Leng or Phantom Armor. The Phantom Armor is similar but the color scheme sucks.

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

Craig Spradlin posted:

If you didn't play ME1 it probably doesn't seem like a big deal, but if you did, well, Cerberus did awful poo poo by commission and neglect both - most notably having an Alliance officer killed, letting a bunch of rachni loose, and luring an Alliance marine patrol into a thresher maw nest to see what would happen. Hell, if you played with the Sole Survivor origin, Cerberus was responsible for the death of your whole squad, and it really stretched plausibility for me that Shepard's first course of action in 2 wasn't to airlock everyone loyal to Cerberus and straight-up steal the Normandy at the start of the game.

Coughing Hobo posted:

Literally the only reason I'm glad this didn't happen is because then we wouldn't have Gabby and Ken.

Exceptions would, of course, be made for Gabby and Ken.

The game even sort of goes out of its way to make this arrangement okay by making your crew all Cerberus newbies, and I get the narrative conceit that TIM is trying to make Cerberus look kinder and gentler. But, given the first game, it sort of feels like the story is trying to find reasons to make it okay for you to work with Cerberus instead of doing the natural thing and having Cerberus be the early-stage bad guy in ME2. In my dream-ME2, the tutorial would have ended with Miranda and Jacob getting the Jenkins treatment and Shepard hightailing it to Omega where Cerberus doesn't have any clout and putting the team together from there. As it is, in most of my playthroughs, Miranda and Jacob's loyalty missions are really low priority and doing things that gently caress over Cerberus are high priority within the constraints of what Shepard can do against them. I know I've said this before in this thread, but ME2 felt like it suffered from a touch of the grimdark compared to 1 (and even 3 to some extent).

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

I think I'm going to jump into ME3 multiplayer today, are there any decent combos to start out with? I've heard it's pretty difficult so I don't want to be deadweight while I figure poo poo out.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Bob NewSCART posted:

I think I'm going to jump into ME3 multiplayer today, are there any decent combos to start out with? I've heard it's pretty difficult so I don't want to be deadweight while I figure poo poo out.

Human Sentinel is pretty impossible to screw up, take Warp and Throw and just cast those in sequence for explosions.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

DerLeo posted:

Human Sentinel is pretty impossible to screw up, take Warp and Throw and just cast those in sequence for explosions.

Are biotics the go to for success in MP or can you be successful as something like a soldier?

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Bob NewSCART posted:

Are biotics the go to for success in MP or can you be successful as something like a soldier?

Soldiers and infiltrators are pretty reliant on unlocks, and all of the starting guns except the Mantis are lovely. Roll with a biotic or tech character when you're just starting out, since their main source of damage will come from power combos.

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.
All of the Human caster classes (Engineer, Adept and Sentinel) are pretty good starter characters and, as mentioned, not as reliant on decent guns (which may take a while to unlock, depending on your luck). Human Soldier is OK, but fairly useless with the starting guns. Human Infiltrator is pretty much crap no matter what.

Also make sure to download and install all of the (free) MP DLCs.

Also, there's a really good ME3 MP thread in Games where you can get plenty of advice on anything!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Also hit up the ME3 MP thread, there's been a ton of talk about good combos and classes that aren't weapon reliant. UM is right, though -- remember any time anyone talking about a gun class being "awesome" they really mean "this class is awesome with a good gun."

e: argh, beaten

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Yeah sorry I completely forgot about the MP thread. Taking my question there, thanks for the advice though guys.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Craig Spradlin posted:

Exceptions would, of course, be made for Gabby and Ken.

The game even sort of goes out of its way to make this arrangement okay by making your crew all Cerberus newbies, and I get the narrative conceit that TIM is trying to make Cerberus look kinder and gentler. But, given the first game, it sort of feels like the story is trying to find reasons to make it okay for you to work with Cerberus instead of doing the natural thing and having Cerberus be the early-stage bad guy in ME2. In my dream-ME2, the tutorial would have ended with Miranda and Jacob getting the Jenkins treatment and Shepard hightailing it to Omega where Cerberus doesn't have any clout and putting the team together from there. As it is, in most of my playthroughs, Miranda and Jacob's loyalty missions are really low priority and doing things that gently caress over Cerberus are high priority within the constraints of what Shepard can do against them. I know I've said this before in this thread, but ME2 felt like it suffered from a touch of the grimdark compared to 1 (and even 3 to some extent).

I think Cerberus works best if you ignore ME1 and 3 and just look at 2, where it's just a human shadow government/military. ME1 is just all over the map anyway: sending a squad of marines into a nest of giant monsters for research is really stupid writing.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Bob NewSCART posted:

I don't play anymore, but biotic and tech powers are as good as everyone says they are. And if you are starting now you are going to be so far behind when it comes to weapon loadout that it isn't even funny. I played up until last July and I'm hopelessly behind myself.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Lt. Danger posted:

I think Cerberus works best if you ignore ME1 and 3 and just look at 2, where it's just a human shadow government/military. ME1 is just all over the map anyway: sending a squad of marines into a nest of giant monsters for research is really stupid writing.

Well duh, but it wasn't research they were sending out the marines for it was :airquote:Research:airquote: Muwahahahaha.
And that makes all the difference, so that's why the writing is okay. :colbert:

I prefer the take that Cerberus in ME1 is an alternate reality Mythbusters where it just so happens that living people are cheaper than pig carcasses...and they're just REALLY inquisitive.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So I've been thinking about this for some time now and I want your opinions on it.

Do you think omni-tools can come in different colors? Like orange is the default but you can have it light up in different colors. They're like the mass effect equivalent of i-pods with swiss army knifes built in and i-pods come in all colors of the rainbow. For example, Tali's omni-tool would definitely come in purple and the Cerberus Engineer's onmi-tool would be white and gold.

Wouldn't it be cool if you could select the color of your omni-tool in your armor customization menu like selecting the color of your armor's light?

I'd go for a navy blue omni-tool if I could.

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

1st AD posted:

No, you get Kai Leng or Phantom Armor. The Phantom Armor is similar but the color scheme sucks.

The armor that Liara/Ash/Brooks wears is just reskinned Phantom armor without the helmet. They are literally exactly the same besides the colors.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

SgtSteel91 posted:

I'd go for a navy blue omni-tool if I could.

Hot pink is always the best option. In fact, make hot pink an option for everything - hair color, eyes, skin, gunfire. If they'd changed the Reaper light color to pink and added a pink option to the ending, I guarantee people would have liked it more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

There is at least one class in multiplayer with a different colored omni-tool.

• Locked thread