Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"

StevenM posted:

There's an 8-bit-looking game on the eShop called Witch and Hero. Has anyone here downloaded it, and if so is it any good?

It's a pretty boring tower defence games without towers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Hungry Bit posted:

So... since the downloaded games are obviously saved on the SD card could I just back them up to my PC, wipe the 3DS and dump them back to the clean slate console without everything spontaneously combusting?
I'm not sure if you can back up individual games off the SD card, haven't tried that. If the eshop account hasn't been deleted though you can go in there and redownload them for free.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

You can back games up onto your computer but they won't be playable on any 3DS but the original system that bought them. You can move your stuff to another SD card and put it in the same 3DS and it won't make any fuss over it.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
Is there still no way to transfer purchases between devices?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Is there still no way to transfer purchases between devices?

System Settings > System Transfer. Or were you asking for something else?

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

Saoshyant posted:

System Settings > System Transfer. Or were you asking for something else?

I mean the actual purchases, not the game files. I'd like to be able to re-download stuff in future.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

I mean the actual purchases, not the game files. I'd like to be able to re-download stuff in future.

System transfer transfers your download rights.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

greatn posted:

System transfer transfers your download rights.

Furthermore, it merges the download rights of the two systems, in case you're buying a new DS with a pre-installed game.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

deadwing posted:

Furthermore, it merges the download rights of the two systems, in case you're buying a new DS with a pre-installed game.

If you can steal every DS in the world and keep performing system transfers, you will have THE ULTIMATE DS.

jtm33
Mar 23, 2010

greatn posted:

If you can steal every DS in the world and keep performing system transfers, you will have THE ULTIMATE DS.

Nope, there is a limit of 5 total transfers and you have to wait a week between each one.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

jtm33 posted:

Nope, there is a limit of 5 total transfers and you have to wait a week between each one.

Hrm. Can you do it this way:

16 3DS

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16

Transfer 1 to 2, 3 to 4, 5 to 6, 7 to 8, 9 to 10, 11 to 12, 13 to 14, 15 to 16. Wait a week.

Transfer 2 to 4, 6 to 8, 10 to 12, 14 to 16, wait a week.

Transfer 4 to 8, 12 to 16, wait a week.

Transfer 8 to 16. Your ultimate 3DS has absorbed 16 more DSes. I guess your omega 3DS could take one more transfer, from another 16 3DSes Omega 3DS.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

Can I bother y'all to dredge up the 3DS XL size discussion again? I don't have a handbag or a backpack or anything but I'm thinking of upgrading before the free game promotion ends, especially because the left shoulder button on my 3DS is getting a little temperamental and my giant man's hands aren't relishing the way they feel after a few hours' play, and I wanna know if I could slip it in my jeans pocket without risking destruction, embarrassment, or A Terrible Third Thing

drat you men and your jean pockets! I can barely cram the regular 3DS with the power pack into my purse as is.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"

deadwing posted:

This is confirmed right? Because if so Monster Hunter XL here I come!

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Yeah, I bought the Mario Kart 7 XL Bundle and when I moved my old 3DS content over, the Mario Kart 7 pre-installed was merged into my Nintendo account.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!

Absolutely. Just be aware that you'll have to redownload whatever the preloaded game was, because after the transfer, it literally just says "Okay, now pop out your SD card and put it in the new system, you're done."

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
If I wanted a portable copy of Cave Story, should I hold out in hopes of finding a copy of Cave Story 3D, or is Cave Story+ just fine? The 3D part isn't a huge concern to me either way, I'm more concerned about content/gameplay/glitchiness.

Cool Dogs Only
Nov 10, 2012
Does anyone know if Club Nintendo only accepts one code per game title? My sister and I both got the Adventure Time 3DS game and it only accepted the code from my game, so I'm just wondering if this is normal.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Only one copy of a game may be registered with Club Nintendo.

I wonder (and hope) they will one day use Club Nintendo's account and the game registration history instead of this Miiverse thing that didn't turn out to be what people wanted.

Cool Dogs Only
Nov 10, 2012
In that case here's a code for Adventure Time for 3DS. It might only work in USA, I don't know how the system works. If you use it please say so. J8L-P7ZU-QZRZ-P6A.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Similar question, can multiple consoles be registered on the same Club Nintendo account? My girlfriend is probably going to get an XL of her own this year and that would push me almost to Platinum.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Cool Dogs Only posted:

In that case here's a code for Adventure Time for 3DS. It might only work in USA, I don't know how the system works. If you use it please say so. J8L-P7ZU-QZRZ-P6A.

I grabbed this, and it put me right at 300 coins for gold. Thanks.

EDIT: Doesn't your sister have a Club Nintendo account?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

Travis343 posted:

can multiple consoles be registered on the same Club Nintendo account?

I have registered my DSLite, iXL, and launch 3DS without a hitch.

Laser Spider
Jan 28, 2009

AngryCaterpillar posted:

No, you can't. While the game data is stored on the SD card, the licence to them is on the system. Wiping the 3DS will prevent you from launching the games on the SD card.

Nintendo says otherwise:

quote:

Note: If the system will be sold or given to someone else, remove the Nintendo eShop account before formatting the System Memory.

Note: If the system is not being sold or given away, this process does not erase the licenses for any games purchased in the Nintendo eShop.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

TastyLemonDrops posted:

What's the point of the gold and platinum tier things? Just cosmetic or are there actual rewards?

RMZXAnarchy
Sep 9, 2011

*Insert Sailor Jupiter joke here*

RichterIX posted:

If I wanted a portable copy of Cave Story, should I hold out in hopes of finding a copy of Cave Story 3D, or is Cave Story+ just fine? The 3D part isn't a huge concern to me either way, I'm more concerned about content/gameplay/glitchiness.

Cave Story 3D has remixed music while CS+ has additional content like Wind Fortress and Curly Brace mode (maybe, i'm basing this off the PC version). And + is probably cheaper.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The Gunslinger posted:

What's the point of the gold and platinum tier things? Just cosmetic or are there actual rewards?

Around the summer time, if you get a yearly reward depending on your status. I still have a stack of codes to use next year for next year's reward.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

The Gunslinger posted:

As far as I'm aware, at the end of June or July every year, people who got gold and platinum get to choose from special set of rewards for each tier. The counter then resets and you have to earn the 300/600 coins again for the next year.

parasyte
Aug 13, 2003

Nobody wants to die except the suicides. They're no fun.

The Gunslinger posted:

They have physical rewards sent out later in the year. Gold is a calendar or something, Plat is something nifty usually. The other year it was a button set, last year wasn't as cool.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010
Did anyone else have a problem getting their free game from Nintendo after getting a system and the Pokemon or Luigi game?

I selected star fox 64, but each time I click the order button, I get There was a problem with y our request but don't worry your coins are safe with wario.

And no were in my account does it offer the game again. I never recieved the code in email or on screen.

Cool Dogs Only
Nov 10, 2012

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Nah, we all just pool our points together and when someone wants something we pretty much just let them order it. There really hasn't been many great rewards anyway.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

The Iron Rose posted:

drat you men and your jean pockets! I can barely cram the regular 3DS with the power pack into my purse as is.

I'd carry a purse if I could but I'm prone to leaving stuff places, it's probably best I keep it all on my person anyway!

Sarchasm
Apr 14, 2002

So that explains why he did not answer. He had no mouth to answer with. There is nothing left of him but his ears.

I'm not seeing a lot of Soul Hackers talk anywhere, surprising given how much attention Etrian Odyssey seems to get. Was it not very well received?

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Sarchasm posted:

I'm not seeing a lot of Soul Hackers talk anywhere, surprising given how much attention Etrian Odyssey seems to get. Was it not very well received?

All the talk for it is happening in the Megami Tensei Megathread where it gets heavily discussed. It's really good, but also rough around the edges.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3428684

Kaleidoscope
Sep 8, 2007

The Internet makes me dizzy.

Sarchasm posted:

It may be the first time it was released in the US but its still a port of a fifteen year old game. It's fun if you enjoy SMT dungeon crawlers like Strange Journey but it's pretty dated.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
I just picked up an XL from Target for $179 along with Kid Icarus. I just realized I could have gotten Monster Hunter, should I stick with the purchase? I didn't realize you need to use the stylus to play, is MH the same way?

I hope my HTC one hasn't ruined my ability to enjoy this console, going back to my phone after looking at the 3ds is like putting on glasses for the first time. :wth:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Cool Dogs Only posted:

Nah, we all just pool our points together and when someone wants something we pretty much just let them order it. There really hasn't been many great rewards anyway.

You should set up a family account, which lets you link together multiple accounts; unless they changed something, each member of a Family can register one of each item. If you only have one account, that means you're limited to one total; if you have two linked accounts, you're eligible for two total. Just make sure you log in as the correct person before registering the item.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Nuts and Gum posted:

I just picked up an XL from Target for $179 along with Kid Icarus. I just realized I could have gotten Monster Hunter, should I stick with the purchase? I didn't realize you need to use the stylus to play, is MH the same way?

I hope my HTC one hasn't ruined my ability to enjoy this console, going back to my phone after looking at the 3ds is like putting on glasses for the first time. :wth:

I feel the same way with my iPhone. It really ruined other small screens for me.

You don't need the stylus to play MH. There's also a demo for MH on the eshop if you want to try it out.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Nuts and Gum posted:

Both are great, but personally Id stick with Kid Icarus. Dont let the strange controls turn you off too much, after getting used to it after a couple stages, youll love it

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Laser Spider posted:

Note: If the system is not being sold or given away, this process does not erase the licenses for any games purchased in the Nintendo eShop.

Oh, my bad, I thought erasing the system would take the eShop licences with it for sure.

Though I like how this wording implies that the 3DS somehow knows when it's being sold to someone else. :laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoya
Nov 6, 2009

I already bought the chicken
Wow gently caress the 10 street pass limit on mii plaza. I could have got hundreds of streetpasses instead of merely dozens today.

• Locked thread