Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

regulargonzalez posted:

Not a specific game I'm trying to remember per se, but anyone know what the first example was of a game where you have to fight your own clone? Even better if it's an rpg game where your clone has the same skills as your character.

There are a lot of older, simpler games that are technically clone fights as far as the game mechanics are concerned (Karate Champ for example), but I think Shadow Link from Zelda II: The Adventure of Link is the first proper "clone fight."

As far as RPGs go, Wizardry V: Heart of the Maelstrom (1988, though I definitely thought it was older) has you fight your clones several times during the endgame. I think they're just generic enemies with your party members' names and classes, though.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 17, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Rollersnake posted:

As far as RPGs go, Wizardry V: Heart of the Maelstrom (1988, though I definitely thought it was older) has you fight your clones several times during the endgame. I think they're just generic enemies with your party members' names and classes, though.
Ultima V, also 1988, has a clone fight at the end too. I was expecting to have to do something special to beat them, like have the mystic armor/weapons (which were made a big deal of and weren't that great) or refuse to fight, but it boringly turned out that just the usual bashing did the trick.

Prince of Persia (1989) had the best clone fight.

ZoltarOmniscient
Jan 17, 2013
There was a JRPG for the PSP that I rented once, I can only remember a couple of minor details about the setting. The world was divided into three realms connected by a tower, and you could start your story in any of them. The top realm was very magic centric, with you playing as an angelic being, and the middle realm had an almost steampunk feel to it, with a strong focus on characters with powered armor. I don't remember what the bottom realm was like, or if there even was one at all.

Catsworth
Sep 30, 2009

Who doesn't wanna be Johnny Cat?

Forgedbow posted:

Looking for a Myst-alike first person adventure game, I think it came out soon after the initial onslaught of myst clones, or the early 2000's maybe.

Story was two astronauts crash land on a alien planet, you could switch between them clicking on a portrait on the corner of the screen. I think one was a guy the other a gal. Gameplay was standard, wander around "what does this button do" puzzle solving. I believe, I might be conflating this with something else, there was a significant focus on deciphering some alien script found throughout the game.

The closest game I've found like this was Sierra On-Line's Rama, similar alien feel to it but I'm 99% that ain't it.

I doubt it's what you're looking for but just a stab in the dark, but maybe The Dig? There was an LP of it if you want to take a look.

blackmarketlimb
Dec 27, 2005

scamtank posted:

Nitemare 3D?

Yes! Holy poo poo, thank you. That was seriously driving me nuts.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND
Jan 21, 2008

EDIT: I just remembered! It's Math Blaster episode 2.

I faintly remember this educational game that I played when I was a kid at school in the 90s. It was hand-drawn, pixel graphic and mouse controlled and had a space theme, with tons of mini-games. I remember something about throwing poo poo at these lemming-esque little green men or something, walking across the background and sliding around, and one where you were slowly constructing some sort of rocket... something about a space suit with rocket boots? It had a faintly lucasarts-esque vibe to it, come to think of it. It's just driving me utterly insane that I can't come up with any names beyond vague visual associations. But it was on win 95 around 1997-1999 ish, I think.

EDIT: I also think it had this hub in it where you could go to different structures in a space colony, including an unfinished spaceship. Cant recall if it was rendered polygonal poo poo or hand drawn.

SHAOLIN FUCKFIEND fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Apr 17, 2013

Forgedbow
Jun 1, 2012

have a cigar

Catsworth posted:

I doubt it's what you're looking for but just a stab in the dark, but maybe The Dig? There was an LP of it if you want to take a look.
Sorry, nope. Same sense of alien strangeness and isolation I think, different everything else.

Couple more things I remember. The two protaganists start in different isolated locations on the planet, though they do talk to each other by radio a little. One of them starts on a really small island, and ends up taking a railcar thing up to a floating platform, and there were several other platforms you could take railcars to. The platforms have buildings, but getting in requires puzzles, and there was alien script everywhere and on everything. I didn't get very far past that.

stinky ox
Mar 29, 2007
I am a stinky ox.
OK it's been driving me crazy trying to remember the name of a PC game I used to play on my old 286. It was VGA IIRC, and it was kind of like a 3D Defender, all done in flat shaded polys. Your ship floated in front of you and you controlled it with the mouse (button to go forwards, left and right to steer). There were a bunch of pyramids that you flew around and enemy ships would come and hover over the pyramids stealing energy; if you got there in time you could blast them before they were finished. Sort of like Virus crossed with Defender, but easier than Virus to control.

anyone?

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Genpei Turtle posted:

The aesthetic looks really similar. Is there any part later in the game where the floor drops out from under you?

I don't remember the ball bouncing though. It seemed more like a race-against-the-clock; as you maneuvered through the maze sections of the floor would fall out from under the maze and if you fell through one you died.

Considering we're talking like 25 years ago my memory might be really, really fuzzy though, so it could be that.

It could well be Rock & Roll you're thinking of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXA9umL0kZc

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
The final boss in Double Dragon (NES) is pretty much a clone* fight and I'm pretty sure that came out before Zelda II. Also, the B mode on Double Dragon let you pick an enemy to use to fight their own clone.

*While not technically a clone, it is your twin brother who is just a palette-swapped version of your own character. He actually has a reduced form of your moveset but he doesn't have any moves you don't.

Irukandji Syndrome
Dec 26, 2008
I'm trying to remember a game that I saw a prototype video of a while back, with devs talking about the building options. It might've been on Kickstarter, I don't know. It had a semi-cartoony style, I think might've been over the shoulder or 3rd person, offered some degree of character customization (I think?). It was centered around building forts and defending them at night and I remember had a pretty intuitive building process including nice angled roofs and things like that. You might've had to scavenge for things? It looked really good.

It wasn't Roam, StarForge, or Castle Story. Help me figure this out. :(

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

ZoltarOmniscient posted:

There was a JRPG for the PSP that I rented once, I can only remember a couple of minor details about the setting. The world was divided into three realms connected by a tower, and you could start your story in any of them. The top realm was very magic centric, with you playing as an angelic being, and the middle realm had an almost steampunk feel to it, with a strong focus on characters with powered armor. I don't remember what the bottom realm was like, or if there even was one at all.
Rengoku: Tower of Purgatory?

It was a launch title.

BlitzkriegOfColour
Aug 22, 2010

Funkysauce posted:

OK, this is a toughy. When i was in grammar school over 20 years ago, there was a game we played on the C64 for our computer class. It was an edutainment game where you sail around either Africa or South America, but I think Africa is probably right. You have to bring supplies and watch out for "Crew Spirit" or else they'd mutiny.

I remember a blue title screen, but I could be way off. Any ideas?

EDIT: It's not Seven Cities of Gold.

Is this Sid Meier's "Pirates!"?

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I remember some motorcycle racing game from sometime on the early to mid 90s. It had a toggle-able option for road hazards such as cars and other things coming from the opposite direction and canned videos of people falling off motorcycles whenever you crashed/tipped over. I believe it was on Windows 3.x or Windows 95 (I remember playing this Fievel Goes West game and some Trolls platformer on the same machine/OS). It came on a CD, not a floppy.

I vaguely remember one track that was like a back-road through a heavily wooded area with trees forming a canopy over the road in most parts.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Machai posted:

I remember some motorcycle racing game from sometime on the early to mid 90s. It had a toggle-able option for road hazards such as cars and other things coming from the opposite direction and canned videos of people falling off motorcycles whenever you crashed/tipped over. I believe it was on Windows 3.x or Windows 95 (I remember playing this Fievel Goes West game and some Trolls platformer on the same machine/OS). It came on a CD, not a floppy.

I vaguely remember one track that was like a back-road through a heavily wooded area with trees forming a canopy over the road in most parts.
This sounds like Cyclemania for DOS

Funkysauce
Sep 18, 2005
...and what about the kick in the groin?

Brown Blitzkrieg posted:

Is this Sid Meier's "Pirates!"?

Nope! I was coming in to post that it is Sea Route to India! Sheesh that was rough!

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Pablo Gigante posted:

This sounds like Cyclemania for DOS

Yup! Awesome. Now to find it on eBay.

Edit: Wow, most are under $12 on eBay.

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST
I remember a PC game that I may or may not have gotten for free as part of an Australian grocery store promotion from Coles or Kmart or Target in the mid to late 90s, like peak 3dfx/VooDoo 2 era

3rd person view, you were a kinda cyborg dude on laser skates in a halfpipe facing off with one or more other cyber skater dudes playing some weird version of future space basketball.

It reminded me a lot of Pararena from waaaayyy back in my Mac days but definitely wasn't a sequel of any sort

Anyone?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Oh, that's totally HyperBlade. Came out in late '95, I think.

maxe
Sep 23, 2004

BLURRED SWEET STREETLIGHTS SPEEDING PAST, FAST

scamtank posted:

Oh, that's totally HyperBlade. Came out in late '95, I think.

YES

legend thanks

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Oh thread do I have one for you.

Would be an educational game, would have released around 2001 at the latest. I can't remember details about this game other than one particular thing. You were in charge of managing prices for a hot dog vendor at a stadium, like a football stadium or something. You'd probably select condiments as well, then you'd have to see how well your decisions went with the sports fans or something. It may have been part of a bigger package, I just remember that one part.

Anyone have any idea? I'm only curious because I remember so little about it, I usually have a fantastic memory for games I've played.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

MykonosFan posted:

Oh thread do I have one for you.

Would be an educational game, would have released around 2001 at the latest. I can't remember details about this game other than one particular thing. You were in charge of managing prices for a hot dog vendor at a stadium, like a football stadium or something. You'd probably select condiments as well, then you'd have to see how well your decisions went with the sports fans or something. It may have been part of a bigger package, I just remember that one part.

Anyone have any idea? I'm only curious because I remember so little about it, I usually have a fantastic memory for games I've played.

Hot Dog Stand/Hot Dog Stand: The Works by Sunburst Communications, perhaps.

If that isn't it, might get far searching for Lemonade Stand and looking at related games.

Perpetual Hiatus
Oct 29, 2011

Forgedbow posted:

The two main XCOM wannabes I can think of are the UFO series and Incubation series. Try looking through those maybe.

It was UFO:Aftershock, thanks Forgedbow. Used to play it with my little brother, this will make him very happy :D

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
Here's a very long shot. I remember a vehicle combat game for the PC from the mid 90s, it wasn't quarantine but it was futuristic like that and I think it was only arena combat. The main thing I remember is green slime!

Chinook
Apr 11, 2006

SHODAI

Carecat posted:

Here's a very long shot. I remember a vehicle combat game for the PC from the mid 90s, it wasn't quarantine but it was futuristic like that and I think it was only arena combat. The main thing I remember is green slime!

Well, could it be a racer like MegaRace or MegaRace 2? Here's an idea, go here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicular_combat_game

Sort the list by Year, and check the ones in the mid 90s. Let us know if it's one of those!

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

Carecat posted:

Necrodome? Death Drome?

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I'm looking for an arcade game, might have been Neo Geo. It was about a bunch of assassins trying to murder each other. The stages were huge and really busy, with hazards and weapons and powerups spawning everywhere sort of like a proto-Smash Bros. There was a stage at the circus where I think the tigers could attack you, and I think a stage on a ship that constantly rocked back and forth. One of the selectable characters was a pair of creepy twin children who never let go of each others' hands (so they were treated as one character).

That's about all I can remember about it.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
The Outfoxies

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Spergatory posted:

I'm looking for an arcade game, might have been Neo Geo. It was about a bunch of assassins trying to murder each other. The stages were huge and really busy, with hazards and weapons and powerups spawning everywhere sort of like a proto-Smash Bros. There was a stage at the circus where I think the tigers could attack you, and I think a stage on a ship that constantly rocked back and forth. One of the selectable characters was a pair of creepy twin children who never let go of each others' hands (so they were treated as one character).

That's about all I can remember about it.

I have no idea what this game is but I got this weird deja vu thingie and I'm sure I've either dreamed this game or Classic Game Room did a youtube of it last year.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

Rollersnake posted:

The Outfoxies

Jesus no wonder I couldn't remember it. I mean, it's a pretty cool game, but that's a really dumb name. :psyduck:

Thanks, thread!

Floppy Dingo
Jan 11, 2012

I've made so much money from Goku's Pants
I remember back some time in the nineties playing a robot side-scroller game where you could pick up parts of your defeated foes and use them instead, but I cannot for the life of me remember what it was called. I -think- it was for the genesis.

Just found it. Cyborg Justice - and man, this game was pure nostalgia. It's terrible.

Floppy Dingo fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Apr 20, 2013

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

scamtank posted:

Necrodome?

Yes it was this! I didn't remember the pedestrians or being able to get out of the car, it actually looks a way better game than I remembered.

Carecat fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Apr 20, 2013

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
I faintly remember WW1/WW2 grand strategy game, which was rather simplistic (I think that France was just single province), but whole world was on the map.

I also remember that one of the background pieces was Final Countdown.

(Incredibly vague, possibly a daydream, but I have seen goons do miracles :ohdear:)

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

Discount Viscount posted:

Hot Dog Stand/Hot Dog Stand: The Works by Sunburst Communications, perhaps.

Pretty sure this was it. Thanks Discount Viscount! Didn't think anyone would have any idea, was worth it to post.

Blowdryer
Jan 25, 2008
I just ran across this image and I'd like to know what game it is because it looks pretty cool. All I know is that it's on kongregate.

Banemaster
Mar 31, 2010
^^^:

Google says that it is Fantasy Online.

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Perhaps other people have games from their childhood that they remember fondly, but can't find the name of today. There's a thread for long lost movies, why not video games?

My long-lost computer game must've been around 2001 or 2002, or maybe as late as 2005. It's a Star Wars-esque game, but I've already searched through a multitude of Jedi Knight II and III maps and YouTube videos, and I'm convinced that can't be it. Half Life 2 and Battlefield 1942 came out during that time, and I'm pretty sure I played the game I'm remembering before those big titles came out.

I remember there being really cool maps with large innovative levels for its time. Some of them were custom made (and I think the player used PK3 files to mod the game). I think I believe you could also download maps from the server you were joining.

The SP and MP executables were different, and you could have your own dedicated server or start a playable multiplayer server from within the MP menu.

I remember a trash compactor level, another map with an immovable ship in a courtyard that opened up into an atrium with blue glowing pillars, and that level involved some toggleable forcefields too. Yet another map was a giant city level, with tubes to travel down and lots of rooms as well as wide open courtyards. I think there was some team deathmatch involved, and this game had an RPG weapon and remote-detonated bombs that I recall too.. hopefully I'm not conflating two games.

Anyone have a really strong memory? :unsmith:

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

Michael Scott posted:

Perhaps other people have games from their childhood that they remember fondly, but can't find the name of today. There's a thread for long lost movies, why not video games?

My long-lost computer game must've been around 2001 or 2002, or maybe as late as 2005. It's a Star Wars-esque game, but I've already searched through a multitude of Jedi Knight II and III maps and YouTube videos, and I'm convinced that can't be it. Half Life 2 and Battlefield 1942 came out during that time, and I'm pretty sure I played the game I'm remembering before those big titles came out.

I remember there being really cool maps with large innovative levels for its time. Some of them were custom made (and I think the player used PK3 files to mod the game). I think I believe you could also download maps from the server you were joining.

The SP and MP executables were different, and you could have your own dedicated server or start a playable multiplayer server from within the MP menu.

I remember a trash compactor level, another map with an immovable ship in a courtyard that opened up into an atrium with blue glowing pillars, and that level involved some toggleable forcefields too. Yet another map was a giant city level, with tubes to travel down and lots of rooms as well as wide open courtyards. I think there was some team deathmatch involved, and this game had an RPG weapon and remote-detonated bombs that I recall too.. hopefully I'm not conflating two games.

Team Fortress 2?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
Nope! Just got into that recently. The game I'm remembering was definitely a little earier than TF2's release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

ZoltarOmniscient posted:

I played this as well, but I can't remember what it was called. :(

(It wasn't Rengoku: Tower of Purgatory.)

Michael Scott posted:

PK3 files and SP and MP executables means Quake 3. If it's not Jedi Outcast or Jedi Academy, my next guess would be one of the Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force games - sci-fi setting, lots of glowing things, and both games have an RPG-style weapon and a grenade launcher that can also fire remote-detonated mines.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Apr 22, 2013

• Locked thread