Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Habibi posted:

You criticize the Boyle pick but laud Campbell? :lol: Uh, okay.

Anyway, you're right that there were better purely defensive guys available, but I'll gladly field any arguments that there were markedly better offensive dmen around. I like Campbell, but I think pretty much the only thing he does better than Boyle is skate faster N/S. Oh and apparently takes fewer penalties. But I'm okay with more penalties if that means beating up gently caress Corey Perry.

Plus, with a west coast team, it's only a matter of time until he starts whining about being closer to his family. :jerkbag:

I'm sort of just making fun of you for the hell of it but yeah, there's a guy better than Boyle still on the board and I think you know drat well who I mean :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
T.J. Oshie is a fine pick. I considered him for each of my previous 2 selections.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER
I also almost picked him wih the Anderson pick. He's my "room maker" on the top line now.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
I leave for the day, and some sleepers that I hoped would fall to me, like Josi, have already been taken.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Habibi posted:

You criticize the Boyle pick but laud Campbell? :lol: Uh, okay.

Anyway, you're right that there were better purely defensive guys available, but I'll gladly field any arguments that there were markedly better offensive dmen around. I like Campbell, but I think pretty much the only thing he does better than Boyle is skate faster N/S. Oh and apparently takes fewer penalties. But I'm okay with more penalties if that means beating up gently caress Corey Perry.

Campbell is three years younger than Boyle.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

mennoknight posted:

I also almost picked him wih the Anderson pick. He's my "room maker" on the top line now.

my general policy is that you can't go wrong with selecting a first line player from a good team.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Twin Cinema posted:

I leave for the day, and some sleepers that I hoped would fall to me, like Josi, have already been taken.

Haaaaaa, glad to know my gut that he wouldn't last much longer was right. :v:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Oshie was one of the forwards I drat near took. He owns

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
Josi is pretty good, I didn't think he would go this soon but I would have taken him if he was available in a couple more rounds.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Thufir posted:

Josi is pretty good, I didn't think he would go this soon but I would have taken him if he was available in a couple more rounds.

I had not even heard of him before the pick

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Yeah I think that's a round or two early on Josi, much like Henrique. Not bad picks at all, just premature.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

Austrian mook posted:

I had not even heard of him before the pick

More points and toi/g this season than most of the D still available.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

T-Bone posted:

Yeah I think that's a round or two early on Josi, much like Henrique. Not bad picks at all, just premature.

Unlike my Gallagher pick :v:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Austrian mook posted:

Unlike my Gallagher pick :v:

I'm not 100% sold on Gallagher being better than some of the vets still on the board but someone probably would have taken him soon, so if you wanted him, now was the time.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

T-Bone posted:

There are going go be some wacky ones soon I think. Especially as people start to fill out different needs.

There is a guy who I've considered drafting the last two rounds still available. I am going to be ecstatic if he comes back around to me, but I think some would call the pick early or maybe even bad.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

T-Bone posted:

I'm not 100% sold on Gallagher being better than some of the vets still on the board but someone probably would have taken him soon, so if you wanted him, now was the time.

Living in Vancouver and liking hockey but not the Canucks makes you grow an affinity for the Giants.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
For me liking a player and his contract or whatever is only part of it. The main thing is - "what is the latest possible round I can get this player in?"

Not that I haven't been burned on a few guys I liked, but I think I've done alright getting value at my position.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
I'm pretty happy with my roster so far. Got a solid group of young guys who will contribute and are signed for a long time in OEL/Backstrom/JVR, got my veteran scoring presence in Gaborik, and a good two-way forward in Zajac. If I can add another good defenseman and a half-decent goalie then I'll be happy.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I'm ready to pick again. Sid needs some playmates.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Austrian mook posted:

I'm sort of just making fun of you for the hell of it but yeah, there's a guy better than Boyle still on the board and I think you know drat well who I mean :colbert:

Oh ok that's fine then. :hfive:

And I may not know whom you mean, since at this point I think a lot of what is 'best' or 'better' comes down to what you're building. But feel free to pm me the player in question if you are comfortable he'll come up soon. I'm curious.

the talent deficit posted:

Campbell is three years younger than Boyle.

Uh. Okay?

Habibi fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Apr 22, 2013

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

T-Bone posted:

For me liking a player and his contract or whatever is only part of it. The main thing is - "what is the latest possible round I can get this player in?"

Not that I haven't been burned on a few guys I liked, but I think I've done alright getting value at my position.

'What is the latest possible round I can get this player in' works so long as there are multiple players like him available. That's why I held off on my guy - there were other players like him still on the board. The way the last round has gone though, we're down to very few guys who are comparable. That's when I think you have to pick the guy regardless of where you think he may go, because someone else could be thinking the same thing as you.

I reached on Rask because of how highly I think of him, and because I thought we were getting into a run on elite goalies, but otherwise that's how I've picked, and I'm happy with my team thus far.

myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Austrian mook got probated for 24 hours, so hopefully that doesn't hold up the thread!

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

Habibi posted:

Uh. Okay?

i was just offering a reason some people may think boyle is a ridiculous pick at this point while campbell is reasonable. i think some people are forgetting we're not drafting teams to win some alternate universe 2013 stanley cup. the goal of this is to build the 'best' team where 'best' specifically is not defined. if some people are drafting to win right now that's fine but i think most of us are not making that our only goal. the only really bad picks are the ones no one else would have considered before your next opportunity to pick. brian campbell was an excellent pick because i would have taken him instead of henrique if he had been available. boyle was a bad pick (in my estimation) because i would not have taken him

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

Oh, god, Mook's been probated? Guess he'll have to overcome his paranoia and pm his picks in.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

myron cope posted:

Austrian mook got probated for 24 hours, so hopefully that doesn't hold up the thread!

If we get all the way back to him in 24 I'll be shocked.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Jordan7hm posted:

'What is the latest possible round I can get this player in' works so long as there are multiple players like him available. That's why I held off on my guy - there were other players like him still on the board. The way the last round has gone though, we're down to very few guys who are comparable. That's when I think you have to pick the guy regardless of where you think he may go, because someone else could be thinking the same thing as you.

I reached on Rask because of how highly I think of him, and because I thought we were getting into a run on elite goalies, but otherwise that's how I've picked, and I'm happy with my team thus far.

this is a good post

when selecting a player you shouldn't just be asking 'is this player the best player left?' you should be asking 'if i don't get this player who am i going to end up with instead of him?'

personally, i think everyone who has taken a goalie so far is insane. the difference between the best goalie in the nhl and the 45th best goalie in the nhl is pretty small. the difference between the 10th best goalie and the 45th best goalie is tiny. the difference between the best center in the nhl and the 45th center is gigantic. it's even more pronounced for dmen

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
Man, Oshie was heavily on my radar. Almost took him with my Little pick. But anyways, I'll be making my pick momentarily.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I understand why people picked elite goalies because there are not very many who are consistently good year to year, regular season and playoffs. Lundqvist is definitely worth a top pick for that reason. But on the other hand, you can also feasibly pick up two guys in the later rounds and gamble than one of them will have a top 10 season or two.

That didn't work out so hot for, say, St. Louis this season but then they got a third good goalie. Plus you can pick up goalies fairly cheap on the trade market so overall yeah, I agree centers and defencemen are more important and oh god the list of remaining centers is pretty sad.

Also I'm pretty sure I know who austrian mook is talking about and there's a pretty compelling reason why he hasn't been taken. All the same I figured somebody would have taken the risk by now

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

this is a good post

when selecting a player you shouldn't just be asking 'is this player the best player left?' you should be asking 'if i don't get this player who am i going to end up with instead of him?'

personally, i think everyone who has taken a goalie so far is insane. the difference between the best goalie in the nhl and the 45th best goalie in the nhl is pretty small. the difference between the 10th best goalie and the 45th best goalie is tiny. the difference between the best center in the nhl and the 45th center is gigantic. it's even more pronounced for dmen

I disagree. I think the difference between Henrik Lundqvist and Jimmy Howard is larger than the difference between Ryan Getzlaf and Ryan Kesler. I use those picks because they were about the same distance from each other, right around the same time (Lundqvist to Getzlaf, Howard to Kesler). I think if you're looking at Lundqvist vs Jonas Enroth (who would be somewhere around the 45th best goalie in the NHL), you're looking at the difference between a team that makes the playoffs and has a chance to compete for the cup, and a team that doesn't. Hell, the difference between Jimmy Howard (certainly around the top 10 for goalies) and Steve Mason is significant. Certainly more than the difference between a center who puts up .7ppg and plays 19 minutes and one who puts up .6ppg and plays 18 minutes.

e: Mind you I also am very happy with my centers. I think I got very good value on both of them. My D leaves something to be desired, but I'll be addressing that in the next couple rounds.

e2: vvvvv I think Campbell is flat out better than Boyle, but it's not like they're not both very good. Boyle has been the better playoff player through his career.

Jordan7hm fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 22, 2013

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

i was just offering a reason some people may think boyle is a ridiculous pick at this point while campbell is reasonable. i think some people are forgetting we're not drafting teams to win some alternate universe 2013 stanley cup. the goal of this is to build the 'best' team where 'best' specifically is not defined. if some people are drafting to win right now that's fine but i think most of us are not making that our only goal. the only really bad picks are the ones no one else would have considered before your next opportunity to pick. brian campbell was an excellent pick because i would have taken him instead of henrique if he had been available. boyle was a bad pick (in my estimation) because i would not have taken him

And three years can really mean jack poo poo for dmen, especially given Campbell's contract, so this is a reason of personal preference rather than any objective judgment of abilities / age / contract trade-offs. Personally, I think differentiating so extremely between the two players based solely on the three year difference between them is silly, because being younger doesn't automatically make you better, more effective, or indicate greater longevity. For example, I think Campbell relies far more on his speed than Boyle does, and that speed is going to take a bigger hit over the next few years than will Boyle's hands, balance, vision, etc... But that's just me.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

Habibi posted:

And three years can really mean jack poo poo for dmen, especially given Campbell's contract, so this is a reason of personal preference rather than any objective judgment of abilities / age / contract trade-offs. Personally, I think differentiating so extremely between the two players based solely on the three year difference between them is silly, because being younger doesn't automatically make you better, more effective, or indicate greater longevity. For example, I think Campbell relies far more on his speed than Boyle does, and that speed is going to take a bigger hit over the next few years than will Boyle's hands, balance, vision, etc... But that's just me.

this is all good reasoning and i didn't mean to imply you are wrong for thinking boyle is better than campbell. you are 100% right that it all comes down to personal preference. that's why it's silly for you to get offended people like the campbell pick more than the boyle pick

Chairman Wao
Mar 5, 2013

go star
It real life pains me a little to do this but...

With our 5th round pick the Tampa Bay Lightning figure we need a defenseman. Despite picking up a goalie who has proven he can do well enough without. What's that? We should get an offensive defenseman? Brilliant! You're on your own Kari!

Seen here trying to hit someone. Or presenting. It's hard to tell.

Alex Goligoski
Position: D
Contract: 4 years
Cap hit: $4.8 million

Does he look befuddled in his own zone occasionally? Sure. But given the tools we believe he can produce in the offensive end and help out this young front line we've put together. Hopefully we'll be able to anchor him with someone we trust more defensively to cover up some of those shortcomings.

Watching him play in Dallas can be painful at times, but I think he's actually a good player in the right environment.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

One of my greatest disappointments from this draft is that whoever took Plekanec did not include this link and this picture:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

He hasn't been taken yet :argh:

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Boomer The Cannon posted:

He hasn't been taken yet :argh:

He was taken by jopo 50 picks ago dude, did you think everybody since then just forgot about him? Also, Jordan just listed a bunch of guys who haven't been picked, even if they suck.

Speaking of which, it's jopo's pick again.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Apr 22, 2013

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

Ah, I've been looking under players in the Google Doc, not by team. My apologies.

Holy poo poo, this means I may get to draft by Tuesday night at this rate.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
nah jopo wont pick until then

Rene Rancourt
Mar 26, 2007

Was my contract good for you, too?
Everyone's overpaying for Montreal players. <mystery rabies man who will be kicked out in the offseason> will be picked up in round 10.

Boomer The Cannon
Oct 27, 2011

Gotta see it live!

I've edited some of the Google Doc in the 'Positions by Player' category, feel free to continue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zodijackylite
Oct 18, 2005

hello bonjour, en francais we call the bread man l'homme de pain, because pain means bread and we're going to see a lot of pain this year and every nyrfan is looking forward to it and hey tony, can you wait until after my postgame interview to get on your phone? i thought you quit twitter...
I've got two picks on deck, but with my luck they'll be taken by the two teams picking before me. I'll be going to bed soon so if I don't pick tonight, I'll have it done by before noon tomorrow.

• Locked thread