Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I really enjoyed the Shurer part, though.
Too bad everything else sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogundar
Dec 5, 2007
I thought it was almost good..

Guilty Crown ending spoilers
..But then they hosed up by rehashing the end of the world craziness plot after having already used it at the halfway point and killed off the Best Character.

Wasn't there supposed to be a second season of that? Didn't sell enough DVDs and Blu-rays?

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

In fairness, I've seen some pretty decent arguments in favor of Guilty Crown as a meticulously calculated parody of all that is dumb about super pretentious, do-everything-to-appeal-to-everyone anime schlock.

Made it all more entertaining in retrospect.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Ep 3 sure has a lot of stills. Did they already run out of money, or saving up for some sort of mega-splurge later?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

darkgray posted:

Ep 3 sure has a lot of stills. Did they already run out of money, or saving up for some sort of mega-splurge later?

I heard it was an outsourced episode.

Pensive
Oct 31, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Not like it matters too much, this episode was mostly just sitting around talking and introducing the rest of the protagonists.

I'd wait until the first big action scene in a few episodes before we start judging the animation too harshly, because that's where it's going to matter.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Wow, the introduction of Sasha was everything I hoped it could possibly be.

Azzents
Oct 19, 2010

"Quoting, like smoking, is a dirty habit to which I am devoted."
I wouldn't have really noticed all the stills if it wasn't pointed out. I was worried that they may have spent their budget in the first two eps upon hearing it.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax
Thoughts on episode 3: I'm not sure if I like how the anime is handling the female character designs. It's like they're taking the manga's art and trying to make it as soft as possible with the women without being a recognizably different art style. There were quite a few obvious art stills, but at least they looked pretty.

About VA choices so far:

Eren: I'm neutral on Yuki Kaji and I'm neutral on his take on Eren so far. We haven't gotten to any of the real "drat Eren you crazy" scenes yet either, so it's hard to say how good a job he's doing until then.
Mikasa: Decent but not great. Her VA simply isn't talented enough to pull off a lot of Mikasa's lines. Half the time she opens her mouth I think "man this would be so much better if Chiwa Saito or Maaya Sakamoto was doing this role instead".
Armin: Lol Armin's voiced by a girl. Marina Inoue's doing a decent job so far, but we haven't gotten to any of Armin's really good scenes yet either.
Sasha: Yu Kobayashi is great and she is great in this role. So far the best casting choice in the show.
Ymir: Sounds a bit off, I always pictured her sounding a bit more sarcastic.
Reiner: Spot on in sort of a hilarious way with his VA practically screaming "I am a WARRIOR type".
Bertholdt: He sounds nervous and kinda moe and pretty much like I imagined him sounding like.
Jean: Sounds fine.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 08:05 on May 12, 2013

Reivax
Apr 24, 2008
Oh wow, the potato scene was fantastic. Something about a drill sergeant named Keith just tickles me.
Quick question: Is 'Kempeitai' the standard Japanese term for police or military police? Is it used with the knowledge of the Imperial era organisation or is it something innocent?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I am super annoyed that they totally hosed up Sasha's smug potato face. :argh: She ended up looking more pained than smug. For the benefit of non-manga-readers, here is the genuine article, the greatest expression in the history of manga, and possibly all art:

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/89449/shingeki-no-kyojin_v4_ch15_by_gantz-waitingroom/18

Sindai fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Apr 21, 2013

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Sasha's face not being smug enough was pretty disappointing. So was Jean not awkwardly saying you too at the end of his conversation with Misaka.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I liked the stills. They helped give a sort of dreamy quality to the episode, and a lot of it was talking and reminiscing.

Was that scene with Mikasa and Jean in the manga? I didn't think Jean had it in him. :allears:

edit: ^ I guess it was!!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Sasha was barely less smug in the anime than the manga. The only real difference, other than color, is the anime's right eye is 1 degree less smug while the left eye is half a degree less smug.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Waffleman_ posted:

Dang, I'd believe it. There were a couple of spots where I couldn't recognize Mikasa at first.

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

Giggily posted:

Jean not awkwardly saying you too at the end of his conversation with Misaka.

That's just an edit :ssh:

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Superstring posted:

Dang, I'd believe it. There were a couple of spots where I couldn't recognize Mikasa at first.

I wonder if they will be consistent with her design throughout the rest of the series. I didn't even recognize her during the scene with Jean. It seemed a bit different from the manga.

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

.Clash posted:

That's just an edit :ssh:

That was so perfect. :negative:

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Am I the only one that's a little bothered by how bright the lips of Mikasa and Ymir are?

lodoubt
Apr 9, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Tae posted:

Am I the only one that's a little bothered by how bright the lips of Mikasa and Ymir are?

You got a friend in me.

Seriously, like a poster said above, I didn't even initially RECOGNISE Mikasa this episode, I only figured out it was her because I've read the manga and couldn't think of any other characters that looked remotely like that.

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
I'm pretty satisfied with episode 3 because it gave me somebody to genuinely root for. The main characters are, you know, all game with killing Titans, but Potato Girl just wants to eat! Or something. Whatever.

Mikasa must have found how to eke out a decent living in those two years to get those lips.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009
This episode was really funny. For a moment I thought Eren got brain damage and that was awesome.

Also, bad luck and faulty equipment was a good way to handle the training arc. It's dramatic and serves a narrative purpose without being stupid and unrealistic.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Do we ever find out if Eren's equipment was sabotaged by that dude he had words with at dinner (the one that likes Mikasa) or if it really was just bad luck?

And yeah, potato girl is pretty cool.

Aureon
Jul 11, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I don't think the equipment was faulty at all, tbh. Seems more that Eren finally 'got' it after being brute-forced injected some pride.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
No, Eren's gear was definitely faulty. A part had rusted which normally would not. This could suggest sabotage, or poor maintenance.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
His first use of equipment wasn't faulty at all, he didn't hit the ground and the Instructor was there and didn't say anything. The second and third times were with the defective material.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Daler Mehndi posted:

No, Eren's gear was definitely faulty. A part had rusted which normally would not. This could suggest sabotage, or poor maintenance.

I've always been of the opinion that Mikasa sabotaged it.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

And that's sort of the fun thing with Eren, is that he's a hot blooded protagonist but it really doesn't get him that far. He actually has to hit his head against a problem and get better at something over time by just working really hard, this is a show that really never hands anyone a Win Button, because Win Buttons just make you cocky, and cockiness gets you loving eaten.

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
Oh Sasha, truely a woman after my own heart. I hope now that the training arc is over with, the anime goes a bit more briskly.

ff7cid
Jun 27, 2008

Beartato! I just became aware of the vast speed at which we are hurtling through the universe! Now it's all I can think about!
Sasha is the greatest. :3:

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe
Sasha, you almost made me forget the utterly depressing hellscape that is the primary setting of this show.

Almost. :unsmigghh: People mentioned stills, of which there were a few, but it wasn't too disruptive.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

jonjonaug posted:

I've always been of the opinion that Mikasa sabotaged it.

I'm of this opinion, too. It'd fit her motive of wanting to keep him out of danger and line up with her volunteering to leave with him if he dropped out.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

McTimmy posted:

His first use of equipment wasn't faulty at all, he didn't hit the ground and the Instructor was there and didn't say anything. The second and third times were with the defective material.

I figured the Instructor didn't catch it the first time because he hadn't considered the possibility of it failing like he mentioned in the episode. The second time he probably caught on to what might've been happening.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Sashowns. I hope she lives, she's too dumb to die.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

The potato scene was great, but I also loved how Mikasa ate the bread in front of Sasha.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Sindai posted:

I am super annoyed that they totally hosed up Sasha's smug potato face. :argh: She ended up looking more pained than smug. For the benefit of non-manga-readers, here is the genuine article, the greatest expression in the history of manga, and possibly all art:

http://www.batoto.net/read/_/89449/shingeki-no-kyojin_v4_ch15_by_gantz-waitingroom/18

That ain't smugness. That's bliss.

The potato scene was pretty great though. I feel like for a minute there the drill sergeant went from being impressed with her to kinda touched. Of course he immediately made him run a bunch of laps but still.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
I like reading works that change some things around (like genderflipping) or change POV entirely (Ender's Shadow) just for the difference in perspective as something worthwhile in of itself. The Escaflowne movie was interesting like that, everything was so different compared to the series and this was before I realized compilation movies were a thing.

Though now by accident I've realized the best reason to read the source material with the exception as something as dense as the GoT books is to simply Not Get Spoiled by accident, JoJo's bizarre adventure I broke and couldn't wait and ended reading to Part Four at about just after the third episode and I don't regret it because of obvious reasons.

So as soon as the first episode of this aired I started up the manga, I can enjoy them both equally side by side regardless if its completely faithful or if it charts its own path and ends up all original.

I think the strongest argument in favor is that the animation team/director can theoretically improve on the manga in terms of pacing, details and so on and make everything flow better.

They can also screw up and be worse but that doesn't seem likely at this point its been solid so far.

Second strongest argument is going to be seeing the action :black101: animated, that's one thing reading the manga can't do for you.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

And for fucks sake, Sasha isn't looking smug. She has the same pained/forced smile look in the manga and the anime.

And yeah, Mikasa was off-model in quite a few scenes this episode. :(

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Lucy Heartfilia posted:

And for fucks sake, Sasha isn't looking smug. She has the same pained/forced smile look in the manga and the anime.

And yeah, Mikasa was off-model in quite a few scenes this episode. :(

Didn't she cut her hair because Eren said it would get in the way while using 3d gear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I think the issues had more to do with her giant glossy lips, rather than the hair.

• Locked thread