Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
One note about Loveless: Don't bother to understand the lyrics. They didn't care about the words, only the rhythm of the sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Elentor posted:

Not to mention some Trip-Hop bands take influence from shoegazing. And there's nothing not to love about Trip-Hop. Which may or may not be my favorite genre.

Enjoying trip hop is a prerequisite to being human.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

muike posted:

One of the decorations you can find is a Final Fantasy XXVII poster.

By 2027? I could believe Final Fantasy XVII, maybe.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Hey, I don't remember if this was satisfactorily answered or not, but was it really a dumb move to try to prevent Shinra from using the Huge Materia? A lot of people think so, but really, let's be realistic here. Their plan is basically to strap some big materia to a rocket and HOPE that it does something...does that really sound like a good plan? Or is that a waste of what COULD be a very valuable weapon for defeating Sephiroth? Plus, the party has already had first-hand experience as to how incompetent the executives are (like leaving Tifa in a gas chamber...with a key on the floor...and with a switch INSIDE THE CHAMBER that could be pushed...need I say more?), so isn't it possible that the party was getting the Materia for their own use instead?

It could be like "well...I dunno what we would use it for, but whatever we and Bugenhagen come up with HAS to be better than strapping it to a rocket!". And then of course, there's that whole business about the meteor fragmenting into several smaller meteors that would do even MORE damage if blown up...you see what I mean?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Fionordequester posted:

Hey, I don't remember if this was satisfactorily answered or not, but was it really a dumb move to try to prevent Shinra from using the Huge Materia? A lot of people think so, but really, let's be realistic here. Their plan is basically to strap some big materia to a rocket and HOPE that it does something...does that really sound like a good plan? Or is that a waste of what COULD be a very valuable weapon for defeating Sephiroth? Plus, the party has already had first-hand experience as to how incompetent the executives are (like leaving Tifa in a gas chamber...with a key on the floor...and with a switch INSIDE THE CHAMBER that could be pushed...need I say more?), so isn't it possible that the party was getting the Materia for their own use instead?

It could be like "well...I dunno what we would use it for, but whatever we and Bugenhagen come up with HAS to be better than strapping it to a rocket!". And then of course, there's that whole business about the meteor fragmenting into several smaller meteors that would do even MORE damage if blown up...you see what I mean?

What you've said in the second paragraph is pretty much the logic, I think. Shinra have shown themselves to be pretty incompetent at most things (except building big cannons in Junon) so it's not so terrible of an idea to take their resources and try to do better with them. Maybe Shinra should have installed another set of hydraulic rams on the Junon gun so that could shoot Meteor, I dunno.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
See that is a nice explanation of the party's reasoning. It'd just be nice if the game said something like that rather than just going "Hey, let's stop ShinRa because they are the bad guys I guess?"

L5 Death
Oct 6, 2009

BioMe posted:

By 2027? I could believe Final Fantasy XVII, maybe.

:thejoke:

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP

Two Finger posted:

What you've said in the second paragraph is pretty much the logic, I think. Shinra have shown themselves to be pretty incompetent at most things (except building big cannons in Junon) so it's not so terrible of an idea to take their resources and try to do better with them. Maybe Shinra should have installed another set of hydraulic rams on the Junon gun so that could shoot Meteor, I dunno.

Elentor tends to be really hyperbolic with his presentation of things I think. Tifa is lovestruck and emotional, but probably not a completely dependent broken individual. Barret is impulsive and fairly ignorant, but he's not mind-bendingly retarded. And the group as a whole isn't hopelessly incompetent, they're just operating on a series of absolute assumptions (ie Shinra is always doing the wrong thing) which are as true as often as they're not. Elentor dramatizes things more than he probably should, but I guess it's some kind of meta statement on the game itself. Or more likely he just keeps doing it because everyone in the thread has bought into it and posts nothing but GLORIOUS DEAR LEADER ELENTOR and it's just encouraging him to keep overextending himself.

Maybe it's like that for all Let's Plays though. I don't really know. But for the most part I've enjoyed this thread a whole lot, and Elentor has done a great job on going through the game. I don't want to discourage him in that. You just have to overlook the occasional reductionary dramatizations and move on. Huge meteor being a "thing" is likely more related to adding extra content than showing how narrow-minded the group is, but whateva.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Killed a Girl in 96 posted:

Elentor tends to be really hyperbolic with his presentation of things I think.
[...]
Maybe it's like that for all Let's Plays though. I don't really know.

For the most part, yeah. The most well-liked screenshot Let's Plays tend to be steeped in hyperbole and exaggeration for several reasons. In Elentor's case, it casts the narrative contrasts in a harsher light, making it a little easier to pick out subtleties. In other cases, it lends to a more comedic slant, or helps make an otherwise unenjoyable video game bearable.

Really, it's like any other creative writing meant for public viewing - you're aiming to entertain first, with education being a rather distant second. The fact that Elentor has thus far managed to create an entertaining LP out of a "cursed" game while still managing to keep most of the story intact is rather telling, both at his writing skill and the positive sides of FF7's plot. (Not that there's negatives to that plot, there certainly is.)

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

It was mandatory.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

muike posted:

One of the decorations you can find is a Final Fantasy XXVII poster.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Elentor tends to be really hyperbolic with his presentation of things I think. Tifa is lovestruck and emotional, but probably not a completely dependent broken individual. Barret is impulsive and fairly ignorant, but he's not mind-bendingly retarded. And the group as a whole isn't hopelessly incompetent, they're just operating on a series of absolute assumptions (ie Shinra is always doing the wrong thing) which are as true as often as they're not. Elentor dramatizes things more than he probably should, but I guess it's some kind of meta statement on the game itself.

To a certain extent, yes, but honestly I think his characterization of Tifa is pretty much spot on, if only because the person she's being lovestruck and emotional about is a complete lunatic that she's been trying to keep stable by lying to constantly.

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

He is way too sensibly dressed to be a FF character.

Cynic Jester
Apr 11, 2009

Let's put a simile on that face
A dazzling simile
Twinkling like the night sky

notZaar posted:

Not enough belts to have dark hair.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

notZaar posted:

Apparently, Nomura will be dead by 2027.

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Apr 22, 2013

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I'm pretty sure that's a girl.

But yeah, somehow, that's a much more sensible design than any Square character had in years.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

But yeah, somehow, that's a much more sensible design than any Square character had in years.

Even if she does hold swords in the crook of her knees :psyduck:

xedo
Nov 7, 2011

simplefish posted:

Even if she does hold swords in the crook of her knees :psyduck:

Gunswords are so last century. KNEEPADSWORDS, those are the way of the future.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Elentor tends to be really hyperbolic with his presentation of things I think. Tifa is lovestruck and emotional, but probably not a completely dependent broken individual. Barret is impulsive and fairly ignorant, but he's not mind-bendingly retarded. And the group as a whole isn't hopelessly incompetent, they're just operating on a series of absolute assumptions (ie Shinra is always doing the wrong thing) which are as true as often as they're not. Elentor dramatizes things more than he probably should, but I guess it's some kind of meta statement on the game itself. Or more likely he just keeps doing it because everyone in the thread has bought into it and posts nothing but GLORIOUS DEAR LEADER ELENTOR and it's just encouraging him to keep overextending himself.
People on Something Awful (and to a certain extent, everyone on the internet) have a tendency to turn everything they talk about into the worst thing ever as a justification for talking a lot about things whose ultimate importance is rather minimal.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Paracelsus posted:

People on Something Awful (and to a certain extent, everyone on the internet) have a tendency to turn everything they talk about into the worst thing ever as a justification for talking a lot about things whose ultimate importance is rather minimal.

See also:
Mass Effect 3's ending causing over 50k to be raised in protest. I still can't believe that actually happened. I mean, it was for a good cause and all, but it was pretty bizarre.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm writing something for entertainment and I'm dealing with a game that has been very distorted over the years not only by its fans, but also by the official EU. Things are gonna be exaggerated for the sake of contrast. Do I go over-the-top here or there? Yes. Do I think it's perfect? No.

It's something I do for fun in my spare time, feel free to criticize it, but treat it like that and don't take it too seriously.

Elentor dramatizes things more than he probably should, but I guess it's some kind of meta statement on the game itself. Or more likely he just keeps doing it because everyone in the thread has bought into it and posts nothing but GLORIOUS DEAR LEADER ELENTOR and it's just encouraging him to keep overextending himself.

I understand where you're coming from but my writing process isn't that procedural. I try to keep my writing consistent with what's happening in the update. Every writing process is dependent on what others think (unless you're so blind or over your head you think everything you do is gold) but I've posted things in the past that were very experimental and I didn't know what the reaction would be.

I try to filter overly enthusiastic posts, but positive feedback is as important as negative feedback (and trust me, there's lots of it). I enjoy LPs and I think LPs are a form of entertainment as valid as any other but I don't appreciate idolization in subcultures and I don't overextend myself because of that. Sometimes I take a long time to post a new chapter because I had to think what kind of text would suit it best and what kind of text I'd have fun writing. Sometimes I have this idea of what to post because I think it'd offer an interesting point-of-view that hasn't been explored much and I just have fun writing it and hopefully people will have fun reading it too. I don't see feedback as a rule of what I have to do, I see it as a guide that is not binary and your opinion (and everyone else's) is equally important.

Similarly, there are many things that I used to do that I haven't had the chance to do anymore that would be very fun and I hope to return to it in the next few weeks/months. I keep an outline of what I want for each update and try to plan ahead. Sometimes the game is dramatic and my writing ends up being dramatic, but what can I say? I do like soap operas :v:

I do try to keep my chapters varied though. Because of that I expect some people won't like chapter X, some won't like chapter Y, some will hate chapter Z, etc. But just like I won't cut up on some types of content because some people don't like it (can't please everyone), I don't trend to X or Y because it'd be more popular. I simply do what I think would be cool for the LP at that point in time. Sometimes I'm right, sometimes I'm not. But at least I learned something and had fun writing while at it :unsmith:.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Apr 22, 2013

Killed a Girl in 96
Jun 15, 2001

DON'T STOP CAN'T STOP
I appreciate you being so level-headed, Elentor. I know there's a ton of work that goes into this thing, and what you've done so far has been more or less great quality. Truth be told it's the only LP I've seen I didn't think was just plain poo poo, so you're doing a good job.

Med School
Feb 27, 2012

Where did you learn how to do that?
It's about the process, man. I really enjoy what you're doing.

AdmiralViscen
Nov 2, 2011

I think every update has been pitch perfect, I feel no need to criticize anything. I can never get far in a text LP but I've read every page of this thread.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

If that girl isn't the main character when this game does come out assuming Square-Enix doesn't bankrupt itself on cutscenes :ssh: I'll raise hell! :argh:

Edit:

xedo posted:

Gunswords are so last century. KNEEPADSWORDS, those are the way of the future.

That's just ripping off Darth Lightsaber knees! :mad:

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

*fwoosh* Right over the head.

I would expect swords and knives on every part of her body sticking out when needed. A whirlwind of blades.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Scalding Coffee posted:

*fwoosh* Right over the head.

I would expect swords and knives on every part of her body sticking out when needed. A whirlwind of blades.

Sometimes I wonder if :thejoke: was made solely because of people in the Games or LP forums. Sometimes I know.

Also, I will be disappointed if her name isn't actually "Whirlwind", or at the very worst some variation thereof.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

Just chiming in to say I dig your writing style, Elentor. You also give a pretty intersting take on the characters in this game.

DerpAlert
Aug 31, 2009

Haulin' Ass, Gettin' Paid
TEN XXXTRA LARGE

Only Pritchard would be such a huge fanboy.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

It always strikes me as a shame that Aeris' death gets the most attention as FF7's main "OMG PLOT" moment. Maybe it was the fact that when I told my friend I got the game too, he straight-out said that Aeris gets killed by Sephiroth. I hadn't even installed the game to my PC, much less learned who either character was. What was left to me was the plot twist in the crater about Cloud's origins, and twists and turns that followed. It's always left me wondering if that was what I was to experience. I was always kind of jealous of not having the shock of that moment, but I always felt a little bit happier to be able to take more out of the later stages of the game.

Maiden
Mar 18, 2008

I think a lot of it is because of the kind of character Aeris is. She does have a little of the girl next door thing going on, but she's mainly this amazingly competent mentor, and this was Final Fantasy, main characters didn't die off before this! They maybe went nutso and left the party for a while, or side characters that were optional in the first place could be lost (Like Shadow in 6), but a member of the core cast was new, so there is this clearly core character, selfless, competent, and kind of a big sister. And then she dies.

FF7 was the first final fantasy game I played, and while her death came as an unexpected surprise, and don't get me wrong, it was kind of unpleasant because of how she kind of acts as Cloud's big sis, but it wasn't the end of the world, I went on to beat it and enjoyed it thoroughly and didn't see why everyone wanted to bring her back to life, I thought that it was a bit of good storytelling that would have been ruined if she was.

Booties
Apr 4, 2006

forever and ever

Maiden posted:

I think a lot of it is because of the kind of character Aeris is. She does have a little of the girl next door thing going on, but she's mainly this amazingly competent mentor, and this was Final Fantasy, main characters didn't die off before this! They maybe went nutso and left the party for a while, or side characters that were optional in the first place could be lost (Like Shadow in 6), but a member of the core cast was new, so there is this clearly core character, selfless, competent, and kind of a big sister. And then she dies.

FF7 was the first final fantasy game I played, and while her death came as an unexpected surprise, and don't get me wrong, it was kind of unpleasant because of how she kind of acts as Cloud's big sis, but it wasn't the end of the world, I went on to beat it and enjoyed it thoroughly and didn't see why everyone wanted to bring her back to life, I thought that it was a bit of good storytelling that would have been ruined if she was.

Or blew themselves up. How can you leave that one out?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Didn't a bunch of characters from your party die horribly in FFIV or did I not pay enough attention to the LP or not remember that they came back somehow the two kids and the grampa seeking revenge at least, I know the monk came back

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
The only person who died for real in FFIV was Tellah.

Maiden posted:

I think a lot of it is because of the kind of character Aeris is. She does have a little of the girl next door thing going on, but she's mainly this amazingly competent mentor, and this was Final Fantasy, main characters didn't die off before this!

Galuf. Who nobody knew about since FFV wasn't released outside of Japan for a long while.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure everybody already knows about these two guys, but I may as well play it safe.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Apr 25, 2013

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Didn't a bunch of characters from your party die horribly in FFIV or did I not pay enough attention to the LP or not remember that they came back somehow the two kids and the grampa seeking revenge at least, I know the monk came back

The party rotates around anyway in that game. You're used to characters joining and leaving by the time they start leaving by (apparently) dying, and for all the apparent deaths there's only one that sticks, and that was a willing sacrifice.

Once you're out of Midgar in FF7 the party is pretty much together, and you get new characters until your party is a whole and wonderful 9 and it doesn't split up that much. Then Aeris dies by getting murdered by the antagonist.

Recycling Centerpiece
Apr 28, 2005

Turn around
Grimey Drawer
I think a lot of the reason Aeris's death is played up is because it's easy to understand. Even at the most basic level, it's "oh poo poo a main character died." Tifa defragmenting Cloud's brain is a bit more difficult to wrap your head around; I know I had no idea what the hell was going on with this part when I first played it, so it wasn't as if I could really describe it to anyone. But you can bet everyone I talked to knew about Aeris dying, ramming moogles on a snowboard, and Magic Godzilla's head being blown off with a town-mounted cannon. Things like that just stick easier in the heads of kids/teenagers.

Recycling Centerpiece fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Apr 25, 2013

Anoia
Dec 31, 2003

"Sooner or later, every curse is a prayer."

Sworder posted:

I think a lot of the reason Aeris's death is played up is because it's easy to understand. Even at the most basic level, it's "oh poo poo a main character died." Cloud and Tifa defragmenting each other's brains is a bit more difficult to wrap your head around; I know I had no idea what the hell was going on with this part when I first played it, so it wasn't as if I could really describe it to anyone. But you can bet everyone I talked to knew about Aeris dying, ramming moogles on a snowboard, and Magic Godzilla's head being blown off with a town-mounted cannon. Things like that just stick easier in the heads of kids/teenagers.

The impact was also heightened by the fact this was the first 3D Final Fantasy, and thus the first time you really saw someone get killed. In the old days sprites just flickered and disappeared, though musical cues helped to heighten the emotion. The sad rendition of Celes' theme in FFVI still gets me.

Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.

BlitzBlast posted:

Galuf. Who nobody knew about since FFV wasn't released outside of Japan for a long while.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure everybody already knows about these two guys, but I may as well play it safe.

Even aside from that, there's the fact that his death was part of a voluntary act of defending his friends. It was a choice he made and his death accomplished something. As stated above, Aeris was just straight up murdered. She wasn't valiantly fighting off the antagonist, she wasn't telling them to go on without her because only she could make this sacrifice. No, she was quietly praying when suddenly bam! Sephiroth drops out of the sky and she's dead. That's really what separates it from any previous character death in Final Fantasy and JRPG's in general.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Golden_Zucchini posted:

Even aside from that, there's the fact that his death was part of a voluntary act of defending his friends. It was a choice he made and his death accomplished something. As stated above, Aeris was just straight up murdered. She wasn't valiantly fighting off the antagonist, she wasn't telling them to go on without her because only she could make this sacrifice. No, she was quietly praying when suddenly bam! Sephiroth drops out of the sky and she's dead. That's really what separates it from any previous character death in Final Fantasy and JRPG's in general.

It's also partially the fact that they spend a lot of time in Disc 1 pumping up that Aeris is so special that Shinra wants her unharmed and she's a mysterious orphan and her potential mysterious abilities ... then bam, they drop her out of nowhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Golden_Zucchini posted:

Even aside from that, there's the fact that his death was part of a voluntary act of defending his friends.

I think it was more the fact that another character immediately joins the party afterwards and inherits his level and all his job levels, so even though he died, as far as game mechanics are concerned he never really went away (just has different base stats now). Therefore his death doesn't have much impact on how the party fights battles. Whereas with Aeris, she's just gone, leaving an empty spot in your party, and if she's been in your party for most of the game, the experience she gained was effectively "wasted." It has more of an impact on your party setup depending on how much you've been using her.

• Locked thread