Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Higher difficulty = more enemies = more chances for it to happen, is my guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Will the marathon setting make the various "stages" of the game longer without making the game too impossible? Aspecially the stage where you just got psi and the end of the game was way too short for my liking, i wanted to play with those toys much more. Also is there a ini tweak or something to enable them? My game bugged out way back when i beat it on classic ironman and i'm missing many of the second wave options i saw in Beagles videos.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.

Dongattack posted:

Will the marathon setting make the various "stages" of the game longer without making the game too impossible? Aspecially the stage where you just got psi and the end of the game was way too short for my liking, i wanted to play with those toys much more. Also is there a ini tweak or something to enable them? My game bugged out way back when i beat it on classic ironman and i'm missing many of the second wave options i saw in Beagles videos.

From what I hear marathon actually makes the game easier.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
I looked a bit around and according to some wiki i should already have access to Marathon by default, any idea why i only have: "Damage Roulette, New Economy, Not Created Equally and Hidden Potential"?

Also yeah, i get how it could make the game easier, like a full dead squad would be easier to recover from. Thats fine tho, gotta break some eggs etc.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

Dongattack posted:

I looked a bit around and according to some wiki i should already have access to Marathon by default, any idea why i only have: "Damage Roulette, New Economy, Not Created Equally and Hidden Potential"?

Also yeah, i get how it could make the game easier, like a full dead squad would be easier to recover from. Thats fine tho, gotta break some eggs etc.

The wiki's wrong. You only get those 4 if you haven't beaten anything harder than easy.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Prison Warden posted:

From what I hear marathon actually makes the game easier.

Early game is a bit harder, late game is much easier. You're pretty much guaranteed to do the first terror mission with your starter gear, but you'll have full plasma + ghost a month after doing the base.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Mountain Lightning posted:

So, anyone know why the teleport bug seems more common on impossible?
A lot more aliens on the same map, same amount of space to spawn.

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Latest episode of Beagle Live and Impossible is up for anyone following that. I think I'd rate underpass as the third-worst (abduction) map in the game or thereabouts? Beagle certainly isn't having much luck with 'em.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I finished this game on the same day I finished reading the book Childhood's End, never realized that XCOM's story is like a warped version of that book.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Megadace posted:

I finished this game on the same day I finished reading the book Childhood's End, never realized that XCOM's story is like a warped version of that book.

The version where humanity kicks overlord rear end, presumably.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

chiasaur11 posted:

The version where humanity kicks overlord rear end, presumably.

Doesn't that happen in the book? Just in a less literal way.

Humans all ascend to star babies(or whatever) and the overlords are stuck twiddling their thumbs and hanging out on their museum planet. Suck it aliens!

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Mirdini posted:

Latest episode of Beagle Live and Impossible is up for anyone following that. I think I'd rate underpass as the third-worst (abduction) map in the game or thereabouts? Beagle certainly isn't having much luck with 'em.

The buggiest round.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Are mind-controlled guys supposed to die if you kill the ethereal that has them? Because I've had that happen, but I've also had them survive with no ill effects

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Ornamented Death posted:

Are mind-controlled guys supposed to die if you kill the ethereal that has them? Because I've had that happen, but I've also had them survive with no ill effects

Murdering the controller is the primary way to resolve MC so if you had someone die after that I'd be pretty annoyed.

Another Person
Oct 21, 2010
gently caress me, Beagle's run has gone from bad to worse, his map luck has been utter piss. These are all the worst maps. The burger one is okay, but poo poo, flooded street thing, the map in the latest and his next are all half cover hellholes.

Koboje
Sep 20, 2005

Quack

VDay posted:

The buggiest round.

I remember those bugs from launch, did they even try to fix them? The Cover/flanking bug pissed me the hell off every time.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Koboje posted:

I remember those bugs from launch, did they even try to fix them? The Cover/flanking bug pissed me the hell off every time.
They've been trying to actively fix the teleporting bug for the past few months, there's a beta you can toggle on steam that's meant to resolve it. Details are in the OP.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

zylche posted:

They've been trying to actively fix the teleporting bug for the past few months, there's a beta you can toggle on steam that's meant to resolve it. Details are in the OP.

It's not in beta anymore and was rolled out to production.

Unless they rolled it back that I didn't see.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

Mirdini posted:

Oh god. His building placement...
Not that it matters, since I think that combination of second wave options is almost literally un-winnable anyways.

Based on maps so far, I'm guessing the next one the rng gives him is going to be the square graveyard with teleporting pre-activated enemy groups :)

animatorZed fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Apr 22, 2013

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Can someone explain some of the Second Wave options and what they do in more practical terms than the ones the game gives you? With random rookie stats, will that make it so you'll basically have to fire and rehire rookies until you get a sniper that doesn't have abysmal aim, for example? What about random stat increases on level-up? What does New Economy actually do? Will the credit amounts eventually even out or what? What about the random damage? How big of a range are we talking about with that?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Can someone explain some of the Second Wave options and what they do in more practical terms than the ones the game gives you? With random rookie stats, will that make it so you'll basically have to fire and rehire rookies until you get a sniper that doesn't have abysmal aim, for example? What about random stat increases on level-up? What does New Economy actually do? Will the credit amounts eventually even out or what? What about the random damage? How big of a range are we talking about with that?

I dunno about all of them, but I'll explain the couple you asked about.

1) Yes. Rookies in the base game have static stats, one Rookie is completely indistinguishable from another stat-wise. Random stats changes that, giving them (I believe) an up to 15 range they can roll for on either side. Might be 10, not sure. So essentially what you're looking at instead is, instead of guaranteed 65 Aim, you've got 55 + 1d20 Aim. Or something of that nature. I don't know the particular numbers and quite frankly they're not that important, as long as you know what the standard is for Rookies it's easy to judge if a particular Rookie you got was poo poo or not.

2) Normally, stat increases are static based upon the class of the soldier. Again, I don't know the numbers off the top of my head, but for the sake of argument let's consider a Sniper and an Assault. Upon Lieutenant, the Sniper might gain 15 Aim, 8 Will, and 1 HP, whereas the Assault might gain 10 Aim, 12 Will, and 2 HP. Or something like that. You get the idea. Again, this rule means that soldiers must instead roll for their upgrades. They can be better or worse than the static gains - you never know. Again, the specific numbers aren't especially important because there's gently caress-all you can do to control it. Iron Will still applies, but if you roll a +1 Will gain it might not be that impressive. Basically you can count on the idea that you might have to fire some people at Lieutenant and Captain for being poo poo, but in return it's entirely possible that you'll eventually have a Heavy with 115 Aim that dominates anything that moves.

3) New Economy just randomly assigns base funding levels throughout the game, I've barely used it but from what little I've seen the number of possible credits out there will always be the same, it'll just be in different areas. So the USA might give +50 credits while Nigeria is the juicy +200. You don't know until you start.

4) Damage Roulette makes the 'up to x damage' numbers a lot more literal. Reading that, you'd be forgiven for thinking that a laser rifle, which can do 'up to 5 damage', does 1-5 damage, when in reality its damage spread is way less than that (3, 4, or 5 if my memory serves me right). With Damage Roulette on, it actually DOES 1-5 damage, so it's entirely possible to plaster a Thin Man with a Heavy Laser for a mighty 2 damage.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

As a side note, random rookie stats do are not just limited to aim. If memory serves will, health, and movement are also rolled.

Orgophlax
Aug 26, 2002

FoolyCharged posted:

As a side note, random rookie stats do are not just limited to aim. If memory serves will, health, and movement are also rolled.

Pretty sure health is not.

Captain Beans
Aug 5, 2004

Whar be the beans?
Hair Elf

FoolyCharged posted:

Movement never changes no matter the class or rank, only class abilities and armor suits affect it. This is unconfirmed but I would assume movement is not a factor with random rookie stats.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I can check it, but I am reasonably sure that movement IS affected. Something like 1-2 spaces either way, iirc. Will definitely is randomized with random rookie stats.

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012
Speaking of Damage Roulette, does it also affect enemy shots, or is it restricted only to your soldiers shots?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I just finished a game where I played the hire-fire game on a shitload of rookies with that Second Wave option; never saw any with different base move. That'd be ridiculous, but admittedly I wasn't paying attention since I thought the only things modified were will and aim.

Movement is just mean considering how critical it is.

Psion fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Apr 23, 2013

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie

Captain Beans posted:

Movement never changes no matter the class or rank, only class abilities and armor suits affect it. This is unconfirmed but I would assume movement is not a factor with random rookie stats.

Movement is definitely affected by random rookie stats, and I think health is too, but I'm less certain of that one.

animatorZed
Jan 2, 2008
falling down

revtoiletduck posted:

Movement is definitely affected by random rookie stats, and I think health is too, but I'm less certain of that one.

Movement is most certainly affected. Health as well, for both starting and stat gain options.

Although, for the starting health, I don't remember ever seeing someone with more than base health, just one less than normal. This is on classic. I'm not sure if the game is cruel enough to roll 3 health rookies on impossible. e: I got this reversed, I've only seen rookies get +1 or base health starting off.
In the lategame, just hire 20+ rookies, and you can easily see the variance.

The random stat gains definitely affects health. Soldiers will either gain more health when they otherwise wouldn't have, or not gain health when they otherwise would.

Of course, since :xcom:, the extra health will always go to the sniper, and not the assault :)
Although, having a near invincible sniper is nothing to sneeze at.

I do wish there was some way to see a soldier's movement stat outside of taking them on a mission.
You can get a rookie with a base move of 9. If they become a support with sprinter, + skeleton/ghost, they can dash pretty much clear across entire maps, often further than any currently visible terrain.
Random stat gains can add more on top of this.

animatorZed fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Apr 23, 2013

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

animatorZed posted:

Movement is most certainly affected. Health as well, for both starting and stat gain options.

Although, for the starting health, I don't remember ever seeing someone with more than base health, just one less than normal. This is on classic. I'm not sure if the game is cruel enough to roll 3 health rookies on impossible. e: I got this reversed, I've only seen rookies get +1 or base health starting off.
In the lategame, just hire 20+ rookies, and you can easily see the variance.

The random stat gains definitely affects health. Soldiers will either gain more health when they otherwise wouldn't have, or not gain health when they otherwise would.

Of course, since :xcom:, the extra health will always go to the sniper, and not the assault :)
Although, having a near invincible sniper is nothing to sneeze at.

I do wish there was some way to see a soldier's movement stat outside of taking them on a mission.
You can get a rookie with a base move of 9. If they become a support with sprinter, + skeleton/ghost, they can dash pretty much clear across entire maps, often further than any currently visible terrain.
Random stat gains can add more on top of this.

Yup.

Once had an assault who could pretty much outrun everything. Couldn't shoot for poo poo, but he didn't have to at his usual engagement ranges. And he survived pretty much any situation he found himself in. Never went down. Including the time a drat rookie(tm) blew up his cover, leaving him with his balls dangling in the breeze, and the second Slingshot mission, where five thin men had him pinned in half cover. Game called him Twitch. Couldn't disagree.

He ended the game by walking up to the leader of the Ethereals and giving him both barrels, soaking up the injury from the thing exploding without comment. God bless that crazy Aussie bastard.

Speaking of Australians and insanity, anyone else notice that Beagle never goes for the overwatch pin? I mean, yeah, it exposes you to more fire, but even when he's saying that the only thing he needs is the enemy to stay still, he hunkers down instead of keeping the enemy in place. Wonder if there's a reason for it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I'd say it's not worth it on impossible, since you could just as well end up with the alien in overwatch too.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

chiasaur11 posted:

Speaking of Australians and insanity, anyone else notice that Beagle never goes for the overwatch pin? I mean, yeah, it exposes you to more fire, but even when he's saying that the only thing he needs is the enemy to stay still, he hunkers down instead of keeping the enemy in place. Wonder if there's a reason for it.
Pinning with overwatch on visible aliens means they just shoot you. There are occasions this is useful, but mostly it's not a good tactic. In particular, a lot of the time you want the aliens to be a bit mobile, so that they will move into positions that are close enough that you can maneuver into flanks. Think about how many turns in that vid Beagle had to just wait another turn in hunker because the sectoids didn't move either. You just have to calculate movement ranges and make sure that if they move they can't get flanks on you.

I figure he'll start using overwatch a bit more once he has a bigger squad size and teams that aren't half rookies. But in Impossible overwatch is a much weaker tool in general.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
All I want is another heavy. No more snipers and supports. Please RNGod. That said, my one heavy is at Captain rank before May is even out and she can pretty much wipe a squad of Mutons alone.

Also somehow my pretty Irish assault lass got nicknamed "Double Down" and a girl with purple hair became a sniper. I give up.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mirdini posted:

Oof. Still interesting, but he can't get back to Ironman Impossible fast enough.

"Oh, what's these Second Wave options?"

*Thinks for 5 seconds. Haphazardly fucks his game by picking impossible rules*

"Well, I've got a flank shot on this one"

*agonizes over it for 3 minutes*

PostNouveau fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Apr 23, 2013

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...
I bought and installed the Slingshot DLC, the first council mission that came up I wasnt ready for much more than gunning down some thinmen so I opted for a regular council mission, now a few months down the line I havent had another chance at it, am I hosed, do I gotta restart?

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

animatorZed posted:

Oh god. His building placement...
Not that it matters, since I think that combination of second wave options is almost literally un-winnable anyways.

Based on maps so far, I'm guessing the next one the rng gives him is going to be the square graveyard with teleporting pre-activated enemy groups :)

Or the highway map with nothing but cars for cover oh god

Actually have a pretty fun story re: the graveyard map on II. It ended up being my second abduction mission, but all my non-rookies save my corporal support were in sickbay so I had to load up with 3 rookies filled with frags and my support carrying the medkit. Decided to roll the dice and go for the stairs/hug the left side of the map strategy. Had everyone in full cover, popped a rookie up one square to take a look -

and instantly activated 8 of the 11 sectoids on the map.

So the order of the day was to retreat the hell back to concealment. Which I managed, but since things felt like they couldn't get much worse I decided that I'd send my two lumbering man-rookies around the edge of the map to try to get some juicy flank shots from the other side entrance to the graveyard.

Of course one of them manages to activate the remaining three sectoids and get killed by overwatch, but one makes it all the way over there, while the sectoids seemingly can't figure out that my support and remaining rookie are just camping down at the bottom of the left stairs.

I finally get the solo rookie into a position to take a glimpse at the enemy, and spot a mind melder and two more sectoids sitting clustered by some half cover. I pull him back to toss a frag at the group over the wall and then hope all the sectoids take the bait.

They do, and somehow the rookie survives 10 sectoids bearing down on him (though only 4 manage to get in range for a shot, and he miraculously only takes 3 damage from the one that hits after the two tiles of wall behind the wall he's behind break down).

Then I manage to make a miraculous move with my other rookie moving up above the stairs that takes out a mind-melder and his buddy, and my support manages to get a flank on all but one of the remaining sectoids. It might be gamey as gently caress, but the mission and the campaign were shot if I didn't do it, so I put her in overwatch. The remaining sectoid who could actually move mind-melds one of his flanked buddies, and is promptly killed by my one-health rookie the next turn while my support and other rookie slowly take apart the horde of flanked sectoids. Managed to come out of that mission with one casualty and 11 sectoids killed :stare:

I've resolved to nickname the one rookie Sectoid Bait as soon as he hits Sergeant.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Tequila Ranger posted:

I bought and installed the Slingshot DLC, the first council mission that came up I wasnt ready for much more than gunning down some thinmen so I opted for a regular council mission, now a few months down the line I havent had another chance at it, am I hosed, do I gotta restart?

Yep

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

Oof. Still interesting, but he can't get back to Ironman Impossible fast enough.

"Oh, what's these Second Wave options?"

*Thinks for 5 seconds. Haphazardly fucks his game by picking impossible rules*

"Well, I've got a flank shot on this one"

*agonizes over it for 3 minutes*

He's funnier in Ironman Impossible but I honestly might like Live and Impossible more. It's nice seeing him vocalize his thought processes and hearing in greater detail why he does certain things, even when they aren't the smartest things to do. And I like the outbursts of emotion live play brings out.

Azzip
Oct 22, 2006
Something really profound

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

And I like the outbursts of emotion live play brings out.

Hell yes funny as gently caress. Hopefully ole jakey :xcom: watches these and grinned like a loon at beagles reactions. My favourite are when the unactivated sectoids on overwatch gank his guy on murder street and the panicked guy kills the thin man on the council mission. I think it's a game designer and film director dream to get those kind of impassioned reactions from people. Ok the fact that a bug caused that negative reaction sucks, but the fact that he is invested enough to react like that is important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Klyith posted:

Pinning with overwatch on visible aliens means they just shoot you. There are occasions this is useful, but mostly it's not a good tactic. In particular, a lot of the time you want the aliens to be a bit mobile, so that they will move into positions that are close enough that you can maneuver into flanks. Think about how many turns in that vid Beagle had to just wait another turn in hunker because the sectoids didn't move either. You just have to calculate movement ranges and make sure that if they move they can't get flanks on you.

I figure he'll start using overwatch a bit more once he has a bigger squad size and teams that aren't half rookies. But in Impossible overwatch is a much weaker tool in general.

The thing is, he's still using overwatch sometimes. Often even. Sometimes even to cut the risk of a flank.

But he overwatches with a guy who won't prevent the flank unless he gets a lucky shot. Alien mobility is unhindered, considering rookie accuracy.

Other times he mentioned that he needed the aliens not to move so he could pull a flank off, but he didn't even mention the overwatch trick. Plus, if you've grenaded a pack into the open and are pinning from good cover, you can leave them harmless with their balls in the breeze until the rest of the team can re-position with just one overwatch.

Just curious if not using the trick is an honor thing, or forgetting, or just not figuring it's worth the risk.

• Locked thread